PDA

View Full Version : Rick Carlisle

Spurred1
09-12-2008, 08:06 PM
I'm curious about Rick Carlisle-I've read that he's Avery Part 2-he'll control every last thing the team does. So I'm seeking input from fans of previous teams that Carlisle has coached. Is he an anal retentive guy who gets his jollies by controlling everything and everybody? Or is he a guy that will be able to let Kidd run the offense and essentially let the team run more?

IndyRealist
09-12-2008, 11:13 PM
He shows flashes of brilliance at times. He was Larry Bird's offensive coordinator when Bird was coaching the Pacers to 56-26, best in the East, and the NBA Finals. That team ran set plays almost every possession which maximized the offensive talents of Reggie Miller.

When he coached the talented but volatile Jermaine O'Neal/Ron Artest team they posted 61 wins, best in the NBA, and played an effective motion offense that emphasized extra passing and distrubted scoring. The players "bought into" the offensive philosophy, and it worked well.

After the Brawl led to suspensions of three starters, the Pacers set a franchise record for number of different lineups used in a season, playing a gutsy and unpredictable style of ball that relied on good decision making by PG Jamaal Tinsley. Many an NBA pundit stated on air that Carlisle should have gotten Coach of the Year for keeping the post-Brawl team competitive.

Unfortunately this is where it goes downhill, in a hurry. Carlisle was unable to get players to buy into the system anymore. Stephen Jackson, Ron Artest, and Jamaal Tinsley all complained about their roles. In response, Rick started calling the plays from the sideline almost every time down the court. Players tuned him out, going one-on-one, and this destroyed team morale. The inability of Carlisle to manage the players or accomodate them led directly to Artest's trade demands, and the eventual breakup of the team.

Carlisle's last year in Indiana, the organization promised an up-tempo offense and recommitment to defense, with Jermaine O'Neal as the anchor. Returning players still did not listen to Carlisle, however, and Rick proved unwilling to cease calling plays from the sideline. Often O'Neal found himself posting up against double and triple teams, with supbar and unwilling shooters to pass to. Carlisle and the Pacers agreed to part ways that season.

That pretty much sums up Rick Carlisle's offensive systems in Indiana. He's a brilliant strategist, able to move players like chess pieces and run a system to turn Reggie Miller from a good player into a Hall of Famer. When the team buys into the system, when they play humble and put in their all, the offense is a thing of beauty. When egos clash and players have their own agendas, Carlisle can't manage the personalities and resorts to calling plays every time down. Rick will see himself as right, and won't be able to compromise in order to get the job done.

With any luck the Mavs know what they're getting into. Surround him with the right support staff, ship out malcontents, and have the players buy into the system. Hope this helps.

bigmac8675
09-13-2008, 05:38 AM
^^ Wow.... couldn't have said it better myself. Great post :clap:

Spurred1
09-13-2008, 08:33 PM
^Thanks Indy-great post and very helpful. Hopefully the Mavs will buy into his system and it'll work out.

Nighthawk
09-13-2008, 09:27 PM
Avery part 2??

I think the Mavs are a team like Indy said the pacers were WITH R. Miller. A team that will buy into what Carlisle is saying. The Mavs roster is stacked with talent. Hate it or not Dirk is a former MVP. J. Howard may puff the magic dragon but he is a future all star and a top SF out west. Stackhouse and J. Terry are both far from slouches and can shoot it out to the 3. J. Kidd may be getting old, but im sure he will still be effective. Like to see how a full offseason and more time with the team works for Kidd and the Mavs. Diop is a BIG BODY and a good defender down low. I think this team is a team that can contend for a title and i believe Rick Carlisle is the man to lead em there.