PDA

View Full Version : Nuggets to sign Sonny Weems, probably this weekend

DenButsu
09-12-2008, 08:02 PM
Nuggets close to deal with Weems

Rookie swingman Sonny Weems said Friday he is on the verge of signing his first Nuggets contract.

“It should be done this weekend. I’m flying to Texas today to meet with my agent,’’ said Weems, who went to San Antonio to huddle with agent Roger Montgomery.

Both Montgomery and Weems anticipate the second-round pick’s deal for next season will be for the rookie minimum of $442,114. Weems said his agent has been trying to get three years of guaranteed money, but Montomery wouldn’t discuss contract details other than the likely starting salary.

“If I had to take a stab at it, I would probably say that, with the Nuggets cost cutting, I doubt it will be beyond minimum numbers (for next season),’’ said Montgomery, who expects the contract to be finalized “in the next few days.’’

Montgomery said Weems received interest from several European teams, which he wouldn’t name, but that his client never seriously considered going overseas. Montgomery met earlier this week in San Antonio with Nuggets vice president of basketball operations Mark Warkentien to hammer out details on Weems’ contract.

Another immediate concern for Weems is whether he’ll be ready when training camp starts Sept. 30. Weems, who underwent sports hernia surgery July 31, said he has yet to return to the basketball court.

“I don’t know,’’ Weems said about whether he’ll be able to practice when camp opens. “I’m still doing rehab.’’

Montgomery, though, said Nuggets athletic trainer Jim Gillen expects Weems to be ready for the first day of camp. Weems has working his way back into shape in Denver under the watchful eye of the Nuggets.rockymountainnews (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/sep/12/nuggets-close-deal-weems/)

Iodine
09-12-2008, 08:15 PM
Future MVP right there he totally makes up for the rest of the draft

C-Dub
09-13-2008, 10:50 AM
i actaully really like the fact that hell be on the team, he will inspire JR to play better if he actaully plays, haha "DUNK CONTEST" in the middle of the game, idk, weems just seems like hed be a really good player with time, i hope its a 3 year contract and that Karl actaully gives him more than 5 min in a 10 game span. That means AI has to play PG and Smith has to start so a 3rd string SG has a chance to play, maybe he could be out PG!

DenButsu
09-13-2008, 11:56 AM
Future MVP right there he totally makes up for the rest of the draft

For where we picked him at, he's solid.

Contrary to popular belief, we did NOT "give away" our first. We traded it for a future first (which will probably be a better pick). I have little problem with the Nugs' draft moves. I wanted Chalmers, and if he proves to be a total stud then I'll eat my words. But I think we'll actually use that future 1st in a trade to get some higher quality value.