PDA

View Full Version : Cavaliers Sign West to Multi-Year Deal

bball1217
09-12-2008, 03:58 PM
Just happened.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3584268

_Sn1P3r_
09-12-2008, 04:32 PM
Good sign. Mo williams and then DWest backing him up. That's pretty good if you ask me.

Chronz
09-12-2008, 06:20 PM
Projected Starting 5s?
Mo, Delonte, Bron, Wallace, Z

bogdanrom
09-12-2008, 06:22 PM
The problem is now that they have so many guards. Mo, Gibson, West, Wally, Pavlovic. They should try and trade it along with someone else for a SG.

NYKnickFanatic
09-12-2008, 06:27 PM
Mo
Scissor back :p (Szczerbiak)
LeBron
Big Ben
Big Z

Bench:
West
Gibson
Sasha
Varejao/Hickson
Wright

JMan17
09-12-2008, 06:33 PM
this really doesn't make sense? don't they already have Gibson as a back up? so now they are gonna put there "PG of the future" as a 3rd string? unless they start West on SG (which would mean the Cavs are definitely going small) i don't really agree with this move. They could of just saved the money for the biggest FA ever. (2010) But they use some of it to resign an avg PG Delonte West? unless i'm missing something here i don't understand the move.

NYKnickFanatic
09-12-2008, 06:33 PM
The problem is now that they have so many guards. Mo, Gibson, West, Wally, Pavlovic. They should try and trade it along with someone else for a SG.

I would give them Z-Bo, Rose and Crawford for Wally, Varejao and Pavlovic.

:D:D:D :D:D:D :D:D:D

NYKnickFanatic
09-12-2008, 06:35 PM
this really doesn't make sense? don't they already have Gibson as a back up? so now they are gonna put there "PG of the future" as a 3rd string? unless they start West on SG (which would mean the Cavs are definitely going small) i don't really agree with this move. They could of just saved the money for the biggest FA ever. (2010) But they use some of it to resign an avg PG Delonte West? unless i'm missing something here i don't understand the move.

Im sure they are going to make a move.

Too many Guards.

They are more than likely to make a move.

Maybe trade for A.I.???

:D

JMan17
09-12-2008, 06:56 PM
Im sure they are going to make a move.

Too many Guards.

They are more than likely to make a move.

Maybe trade for A.I.???

:D

They would go for Ai but knowing the cavs FO, they are just down right to lazy to make such a move.

Iodine
09-12-2008, 08:31 PM
Whats better than two trigger happy overated PG's? three of em!

$ NyC $
09-12-2008, 08:53 PM
If they traded 4 AI that would put them over the top 4 sure. They should make a run 4 Ben Gorden.

Anyways, i thought they should have signed him he can play both guard positions and was the only player besides LeBron 2 show up 2 the Celtic games.

Joshtd1
09-12-2008, 08:55 PM
I'd much rather have West then Gibson.

Iodine
09-12-2008, 09:35 PM
If they traded 4 AI that would put them over the top 4 sure. They should make a run 4 Ben Gorden.

Anyways, i thought they should have signed him he can play both guard positions and was the only player besides LeBron 2 show up 2 the Celtic games.

They don't have enough money 4 Ben "I can fix the whole winning thing" Gordon

Lebron23
09-12-2008, 10:28 PM
Excellent move by Danny Ferry, and this will make the Cavaliers a deeper team in the 2008-09 NBA Season. West is a good PG after witnessing him played his best series againts the Wizards last year, and he's actually a versatile defender because he can guard taller SG, and quicker PG because of his longer wingspan.

I smell another NBA Finals Appearance next year.

RocketsRule
09-12-2008, 10:33 PM
Around 4 million a year is good for West. Great shooter, solid defense, and knows how to setup an offense. He could back up Mo Williams at the point, and maybe even start at SG.

PG: Mo Williams
SG: Delonte West
SF: Lebron James
PF: Ben Wallace
C: Big Z

With Gibson and Wally off the bench is pretty solid, IMO.

ShaunRiching9
09-12-2008, 10:52 PM
Pg: Mo Williams/ Delonte West
Sg: Daniel Gibson/ Delonte West
Sf: LeBron
Pf: Wallace
C Z

jgonboricua
09-12-2008, 11:27 PM
i could see them packaging gibson pavlovic and Big Z for Ai

Mo willliams
Allen Iverson
Lebron
Varejao
wallace

RocketsRule
09-12-2008, 11:30 PM
I highly doubt the Nuggets would trade Allen Iverson for role players.

Lebron23
09-12-2008, 11:31 PM
i could see them packaging gibson pavlovic and Big Z for Ai

Mo willliams
Allen Iverson
Lebron
Varejao
wallace

Oh My God that's a very interesting Trade Proposal. :clap::clap::clap:

Iodine
09-12-2008, 11:32 PM
Oh my god that has as much chance of happening as Shaq averaging 20/20 this year

IndyRealist
09-12-2008, 11:34 PM

What you're missing is that Gibson isn't a PG, he's an undersized SG, like Ben Gordon or Earl Boykins. He'll get a certain number of assists because he can isolate with the ball to use his speed as a slasher, but they needed a backup PG. West is an average starting PG, but he is an AMAZING backup PG. You can't win a championship with a 6 man roster, the 7th, 8th, and 9th players matter more than the media likes to acknowledge.

The only real issue they have now is post scoring when Z is on the bench. Putting Wallace and Varejao on the floor at the same time is a nightmare.

Williams/West
Gibson/Szerzbiak
James/Pavlovic
Wallace/Verajao
Big Z/Wallace

knowledgeGOD
09-13-2008, 01:00 AM
http://www.nba.com/cavaliers/news/delonte_west_080912.html

Iodine
09-13-2008, 01:02 AM
For a knowledgeGOD you sure cant see when other people post the same threads

Kiss Ma Grits
09-13-2008, 01:04 AM
Depth is very important. I think it's safe to say "Bye-Bye" Wally. I think we're only one player away from being lock ins for the finals. Winning it is a totally different story albeit I think we can honestly get there now if Mo CAN give us more offense. We already play championship defense......

Kiss Ma Grits
09-13-2008, 01:17 AM
Some of you New York fans are truly absurd. I'd rather have Williams/West then A.I. ANY DAY OF THE WEEK. First off, A.I. is old, second he can't get out of the first round of the playoffs with Melo and J.R. Smith, and third Williams shoots better from the field and is better then A.I. running the pick and roll.

Boobie can play SG or he can play PG which all depends on rather we choose to play small ball or not.

Yes we have a lot of guards but the thing people fail to realize is that Wally, Pavlovic, and Kinsey can all spell Lebron for a couple of minutes. Most of our guards are combo PG/SG or SG/SF which is a good thing.

As far as Wally is concerned, we can trade him at the deadline if the right piece is there OR we can wait until 2010 and just let his contract come off the books. Ferry is one smart mojo.

I can see us having a backcourt of Williams/Gibson on the floor with us running the pick and roll with Williams and Lebron with Gibson ready, cocked and aimed. Sounds dangers huh, lol. Well the season is near so we'll definately so. I can't see anyone stopping mo and Lebron on the pick and roll. That could be a dangerous thing if they do decide to work on that.

Iodine
09-13-2008, 01:22 AM
Tyson chandler shot better from the field than Tim Duncan and KG must make him better

Kiss Ma Grits
09-13-2008, 01:24 AM
Tyson chandler shot better from the field than Tim Duncan and KG must make him better

Tyson chandler doesn't shoot in volume. That has to be accounted for too Iodine:rolleyes:

Iodine
09-13-2008, 01:35 AM
I guess its time to bring out the stats :sigh:

Mo williams had a worse D rating than AI last year(109 to 114) and a worse offensive rating (115 to 111) and both of delonte's were worse than mo's
AI had 12.6 win shares to mo williams 4.5 and west less than 4
There True shooting% are just .001 off in AI's favor
AI has a better per than both
AI's Turnover % rapes them both and add in the fact he held it longer
AI's Roland rating is twice there combined
AI shoots much better in the clutch

Do I have to go on?

Kiss Ma Grits
09-13-2008, 01:51 AM
I guess its time to bring out the stats :sigh:

Mo williams had a worse D rating than AI last year(109 to 114) and a worse offensive rating (115 to 111) and both of delonte's were worse than mo's
AI had 12.6 win shares to mo williams 4.5 and west less than 4
There True shooting% are just .001 off in AI's favor
AI has a better per than both
AI's Turnover % rapes them both and add in the fact he held it longer
AI's Roland rating is twice there combined
AI shoots much better in the clutch

Do I have to go on?

If we can teach Wally how to shut down Ray Allen, then I'm most DEFINITELY convinced that Mo Williams will look better on defense in a Cavs uniform then Iverson does in a Nuggets Uniform. Here's a stat for You, Mo Williams is one of five players to average at least 17 pts, 6 assist, and 4 RB per game. Here's another fact, Mo Williams is 25 years old, now how old is A.I. again?

Like I said, I rather have Mo Williams and Delonte West then A.I.
Our backcourt is solid now so check that problem off the list. We have very good depth at our weakest position and guess what. We have BIG expiring contracts dangling in front of the faces of the first team willing to part with their super star for an expiring contract.

So Iodine, who do you think is going to go into rebuilding mode first?
What superstar do you think is coming to cleveland next?
Who do YOU think is going to be our final piece to the puzzle?

I like how we drafted young athletic front court players, signed our best shooter and traded for Mo williams. Way to improve your team Ferry WITHOUT making a desperate trade for wally's contract.:clap:

Iodine
09-13-2008, 01:56 AM
So Iodine, who do you think is going to go into rebuilding mode first? As a sixer fan this is pretty easy. Cavs
What superstar do you think is coming to cleveland next? honestly they might get joe johnson is most likly considering atlanta pisses them off every day
Who do YOU think is going to be our final piece to the puzzle? A center who can score without half of his shots jumpers(big Z shot 56% jumpers last year)

Kiss Ma Grits
09-13-2008, 02:06 AM
So Iodine, who do you think is going to go into rebuilding mode first? As a sixer fan this is pretty easy. Cavs
What superstar do you think is coming to cleveland next? honestly they might get joe johnson is most likly considering atlanta pisses them off every day
Who do YOU think is going to be our final piece to the puzzle? A center who can score without half of his shots jumpers(big Z shot 56% jumpers last year)

You know what I actually Like the compliment of having Z (who shoots jumpers) and Hickson (who loves to play around the basket). The sooner Hickson picks up on the defensive side of the ball the sooner he'll unseat Wallace. I think Hickson will improve on the defensive end by midseason because he's athletic and strong plus he's a shot blocker.

I do think we could use another center but there aren't that many who have as much offense as Z even if he's a jump shooting center. I would like to see Z finish at the rim with more dunks.

I think we're real close to being a very dangerous team. Can't wait to see what move Ferry pulls off next.......He's a good GM even though he doesn't get the credit he deserves.

Iodine
09-13-2008, 02:11 AM
I think hickson is to raw on O to play much this year

and I think big Z wont be able to be much of a factor by the time cleveland will be serious threats if they keep lebron

Ferry needs to get a new coach but its to late for this offseason probabally

S.J.Basketball
09-13-2008, 02:21 AM
Just happened.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3584268

Yayyyyy. We can hear more Delonte West quote gems now. The guy is a freaking poet.

NYKnickFanatic
09-13-2008, 02:27 AM
I highly doubt the Nuggets would trade Allen Iverson for role players.

They traded Camby for a 2nd round draft pick. :rolleyes:

Kiss Ma Grits
09-13-2008, 02:28 AM
I think hickson is to raw on O to play much this year

and I think big Z wont be able to be much of a factor by the time cleveland will be serious threats if they keep lebron

Ferry needs to get a new coach but its to late for this offseason probabally

The Jury is still out on Hickson so I'm going to hold off on my opinion of him but I will say this:
1. Love his toughness, array of post moves, athleticism, mentality to punish players on the interior.
2. We don't really need much offense from him. If he goes to the basket strong which he loves to do, get put backs, and wait around the basket until Lebron gets him easy shots with his dribble penetration then I can EASILY see him averaging the same numbers as Joe Smith.
*On a side note, his post game is MUCH more polished then Boozers' was when he came into the league. Lebron does a good job of making our PF's look better then they are ala Boozer before he left and Drew Gooden.

I like the fact that Mike Brown teaches Defense. Defense wins championships and like I said before I think Cleveland has a championship defense. Their defense was never the issue.....it was their offense and it's ability to put points on the score board. I have to accredit Mike Brown with the defense.

Cleveland has been a series contender. We knocked off Detroit 2 years ago and we played the champion Boston Celtics the toughest. We haven't looked too well in the regular season but when the playoffs arrive our defense looks TOTALLY different. We just needed to get Lebron SOME help and Mo acquires attention cause if you don't give it to him, he can burn ya *****.

I just can't wait to get it started. Unlike Larry Hughes, Mo Williams will fit because he has a good mid range game and he gets to the basket better then Larry Hughes.

I guess we'll have to wait and see how much we've REALLY improved tho. I know I can't wait.......

DreamShaker
09-13-2008, 02:43 AM
Excellent move by Danny Ferry, and this will make the Cavaliers a deeper team in the 2008-09 NBA Season. West is a good PG after witnessing him played his best series againts the Wizards last year, and he's actually a versatile defender because he can guard taller SG, and quicker PG because of his longer wingspan.

I smell Ben Wallace's dead carcass....he's done. Cavs would have been better off with Gooden....

JMan17
09-13-2008, 03:43 AM

nah, i think you're smelling this...

http://www.sillyjokes.co.uk/images/p-jokes/toilet/cat-crap-big.jpg

but you're close though :D

Kiss Ma Grits
09-13-2008, 10:36 AM
I smell Ben Wallace's dead carcass....he's done. Cavs would have been better off with Gooden....

Are you Crazy??? I'd take a 33 year old Wallace (who plays WAAAAY better defense) over Gooden who would rather take 18 foot jumpers and who has NOTHING to offer defensively. Yes Wallace's contract is WAY too big but he's still more valuable then Gooden if you're going to hammer defense into the mind of your team.

Famous03
09-13-2008, 10:40 AM
what postion is he going to play with the backcourt stacked.

Famous03
09-13-2008, 10:42 AM
Are you Crazy??? I'd take a 33 year old Wallace (who plays WAAAAY better defense) over Gooden who would rather take 18 foot jumpers and who has NOTHING to offer defensively. Yes Wallace's contract is WAY too big but he's still more valuable then Gooden if you're going to hammer defense into the mind of your team.

Bro chill Big Ben is all washed up already, i rather have Gooden over Big Ben any Day.

Kiss Ma Grits
09-13-2008, 10:47 AM
Bro chill Big Ben is all washed up already, i rather have Gooden over Big Ben any Day.

Gooden sucked so bad on defense that we had to play Anderson Verajao during the 4th quarter. Ben isn't what he used to be but what he is now is still better then what Gooden will ever be.

Chicago was idiots for giving him such a big contract ESSPECIALLY when he didn't fit their team. He was used wrong in Chicago and it didn't help that he had back problems. I do know that he held KG at bay in 5 out of those seven playoff games. Our defense had boston to around 80 something points in that series. Big Ben and Wally had alot to do with that.

Tom81
09-13-2008, 01:29 PM
the weak point is Ben Wallace cavs should do something with him.

23LBJCleBrowns
09-13-2008, 03:24 PM
this is a great move. WE have depth at both guard positions and we now have everyone on our team for when training camp comes around

IndyRealist
09-13-2008, 06:03 PM

I'd take Wallace over Gooden if Ben's contract wasn't so ridiculous. The debate as to whether key roleplayers deserve star money is over, and the answer in a resounding NO. Wallace financially handicapped first the Bulls and then the Cavs, much the way Boris Diaw ($9M), Troy Murphy ($11M), and Andrei Kirilenko ($15M) do on their respective teams. It's hard to be worth $14M when you only play on one side of the ball. Ben Gordon's learning that lesson now.

Nighthawk
09-13-2008, 07:35 PM
I like this signing. Mo WIlliams sucks...Glad them kept Delonte. He stepped his game up big time in the playoffs

Lebron23
09-14-2008, 01:08 AM
Speaking of the Cavaliers first round pick in the 2008 NBA Draft. I am happy with the progress of JJ Hickson, and according to some NBA Scouts the Sky is the Limit for this young kid because he's one of the best player in the NBA Summer League.

Hickson enrolled in a Big Man Camp after the Summer League Game, and some of the coach of the Camp said he's developing into a great low posts scorer, and he's ready to make an impact in the NBA next season.

http://thesportsidiot.files.wordpress.com/2006/12/jj-hickson-dunking-dean-dome.jpg

2008-09 (NBA Summer League Stats)

19.4 Points Per Game
7.8 Rebounds Per Game
1.8 Assists Per Game
1.2 Blocks Per Game

[Hickson] participated in it this year and came away holding his own very well …I was told he went up against a number of NBA level players at the camp and not only held his own, but actually was one of the standout performers of all that attended …

So, Hickson is continuing to build upon the statement he made at summer camp …and as more and more people get exposure to his game, he’s opening more and more eyes and turning heads …

I was told by Danny Ferry himself that if the draft were held today he would be a high lottery selection …maybe the 2nd big off the board …

http://mvn.com/nba-cavaliers/2008/08/15/jj-hickson-the-skys-the-limit/

Lebron23
09-14-2008, 01:11 AM
My Cleveland Cavaliers Depth Charts

Starting 5

C- Zydrunas Ilgauskas
F- Ben Wallace
F- LeBron James
G- Sasha Pavlovic
G- Mo Williams

Off the Bench

C- Anderson Varejao
F- JJ Hickson
F- Wally Szcrerbiak
G- Terance Kinsey
G- Delonte West
G- Daniel Gibson
F- Darnell Jackson
C- Lorenzen Wright

S.J.Basketball
09-14-2008, 01:12 AM
I said this before, but I can't wait for more D-West interview Gems. THE GUY IS A POET!

DreamShaker
09-14-2008, 09:38 AM
I said this before, but I can't wait for more D-West interview Gems. THE GUY IS A POET!

I agree....I forgot about those interviews!!!

JOSETHEALLSTAR
09-18-2008, 11:38 PM
its about time not a bad deal for both parties.

Beno7500
09-19-2008, 12:20 AM
finally