PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Predictions

chadillachembre
09-12-2008, 01:14 PM
espn has there predictions for the upcoming seasons with awards, seedings, and champs and all that stuff....

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=Awards-080901

chadillachembre
09-12-2008, 01:15 PM
im shocked amare isnt being considered an mvp canidate. hes not in the top 5 but this is the top 5 of players that are the leaders in the popularity contest

PhxGiant
09-12-2008, 01:34 PM
I don't buy into these things. I've noticed that the players on these lists are always just the players with the most hype.

amare#1
09-12-2008, 06:14 PM
im shocked amare isnt being considered an mvp canidate.

Yeah I agree, but that said I probs wouldn't realistically put him above LeBron, Kobe, CP3 or Wade just yet.

S.J.Basketball
09-12-2008, 07:46 PM
im shocked amare isnt being considered an mvp canidate. hes not in the top 5 but this is the top 5 of players that are the leaders in the popularity contest

Think about it though. If the Suns don't win the Western Conference do you think Amare will get MVP? If they finish anywhere below the top 4 teams in the West then no...Amare won't be a candidate.

You have Lebron James. The Phenom. He's AMAZINGLY talented and is beastly.

You have CP3. Arguably the real MVP last year and looks to get better this year.

D-will: If he has another slow start don't expect to hear his name, but if he plays all year like he did mid-season on of last year then he's an MVP candidate.

Kevin Garnett: Nuff said.

If the Rockets have a break out year look for T-Mac or Yao's name to come up too.

There are too many good teams and players to say Amare is a shoe in as a candidate. I personally feel he could be a candidate, but the way the league works is if you're not on a top team you probably won't get mentioned...unless your name is Lebron of course.

It's tough man, but the Suns will have to be a top team in an ultra-competitive West.

P.S. D-Wade being on that list is ridiculous....his team will be lucky to make the playoffs. Probably 7th or 8th seed if they do. He will NOT be a candidate.

hrf821
09-12-2008, 08:05 PM
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-34-63/Turmoil-to-Follow.html

Look at this one. Don't take ESPN to heart, myself.

This article has 25 'experts' deciding which teams are most likely to implode this year. Suns finsihed second with three votes. The media loves to hate these guys.

cahawk
09-14-2008, 05:26 AM
It is mostly about hype. Lebron is best & will win MVP even with a bad team as he should have won last year.

And De Ja Vu, the Celts will win NBA title again with fans reading all the hype thinking it will be Laker's but kobe will perform weakly again as in last years nba finals & olympics

king4day
09-15-2008, 12:33 PM
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-34-63/Turmoil-to-Follow.html

Look at this one. Don't take ESPN to heart, myself.

This article has 25 'experts' deciding which teams are most likely to implode this year. Suns finsihed second with three votes. The media loves to hate these guys.

I was just going to post this. Since you beat me to it, I'll just add the clip...

The Suns and Knicks got three votes each.
I voted for the Knicks. Jemele Hill told me that was too obvious, like shooting fish in a barrel. ("Picking the Knicks as the team in turmoil," she writes, "would be like saying Amy Winehouse needs professional help.") But I can't lie: The team with Stephon Marbury and Zach Randolph gets my vote, even if they do have low expectations, a new front office, a new coach, and a mandate to clean house.

The Suns, though, that's where things get a little dicier. Fans in Phoenix are, I sense, genuinely thinking about a championship this year. They're not going to like seeing Phoenix tied for third on this list.

ESPN.com's John Hollinger explains his choice:

They have a new coach, they have high expectations that they probably won't meet, they have Shaquille O'Neal, who is likely to show up out of shape and has a history of complaining about touches, and they have a weird dynamic going with the Sarver/Kerr thing.

I guess "turmoil" would be a bit strong, but they're the best candidate I could come up with.

ESPN.com's Scoop Jackson chose Phoenix because he sees a team that's regressing:

Look at how they've gone backwards over the years in their playoff finishes. The loss of Marion. The unproductiveness of Diaw. Now the loss of D'Antoni. I just have a feeling it's about to all fall apart. Plus, for the last three years I've picked them to win it all and they've pissed me off all three years, so I'm done with them. I'm officially off the bandwagon and I'm taking the rims with me.

When ESPN.com editor Chris Ramsay stares at the Suns now, he feels a loss of identity:

My friend, I don't know you anymore.

You used to be so much fun. You were the burning hot, run-and-gun rock star of the NBA. You had amazing and powerful style. You had The Matrix. And you had Mike Mustache. You were -- without a doubt -- the coolest team in the league.

Now, you are suddenly uncool.

You are the ancient Rolling Stones playing halftime at Super Bowl XL. You will tip the season with a 163-year-old starting lineup: Shaq (36), Amare (25), Hill (36), Bell (32), Nash (34).

I'm concerned that age and injuries will devastate you. I'm afraid that a losing locker room will drag you down a cold, dark wormhole in the Arizona desert.

And my biggest fear is that you will become the '06-'07 Heat ... a Shaq-dismal team of semi-inspired vets. They opened with a 42-point home loss to the Bulls, drifted through the regular season and got swept in the first round of the playoffs.

You could not stay the same forever. I get that. The NBA has a natural cycle. Teams are sold. GMs move on. Players get traded. Coaches get fired. But you changed and you didn't have to, Suns. You were special. You gave away your mojo.

And that's why when I ask the Magic 8-Ball if you will make the playoffs this season.

It answers "My sources say no."

Even so, I have to send best wishes to your new coach Terry Porter. I've always liked TP. I really do wish you success ... but, my friend, I am not hopeful.

Rome
09-15-2008, 05:23 PM
Wow that's some ********. Magic 8 ball said we weren't going to make the playoffs, guess that's it guys

PhxGiant
09-15-2008, 05:32 PM
Wow that's some ********. Magic 8 ball said we weren't going to make the playoffs, guess that's it guys

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

STAT32
09-15-2008, 06:39 PM
Damn those magic eight balls....

hrf821
09-15-2008, 08:23 PM
I think if ESPN's writers stayed away from the MAGIC 8 BALL they would probably write better articles. FEEL ME??????? :clap::clap: