PDA

View Full Version : Renteria: We're going to the World Series in '09

Dalionking
09-12-2008, 07:16 AM
by Steve Kornacki
Friday September 12, 2008, 12:10 AM

CHICAGO -- The Detroit Tigers are in real danger of finishing with a losing record despite starting the season with a team payroll of $138 million and great expectations.

The Tigers are 70-76, and very well could end up with the worst record of any Detroit team within two years of a World Series appearance.

The franchise has gone to the Series 10 times, and only twice experienced losing seasons in the two years that followed.

The 1940 Series team had a good excuse. Hall of Fame first baseman Hank Greenberg played only 19 games in 1941 and was in the Army during World War II until the second half of the 1945 season. Detroit was 75-79 and 73-81 the next two years, but was back in the 1945 World Series with Greenberg leading the way.

Two years after winning the 1968 World Series, Detroit finished 79-83. But they rebounded to go 91-71 in 1971 and win a division title the following season.

Will these Tigers rebound from this season with success in the immediate future?

"Look at the White Sox," said Detroit manager Jim Leyland, alluding to their 72-90 finish last year, two seasons after winning the 2005 World Series. "Now they are the darlings again (and in first place).

"I think we'll be tremendous next year. Will we? I don't know. But I like this team. We've just got to do some tweaking."

Detroit shortstop Edgar Renteria said getting some momentum with a successful final stretch run will make a difference.

"We need to keep the winning attitude and finish strong," Renteria said. "Next year, we are going to go all the way to the World Series. We are going to go for sure."

He said injuries impacted the results this season, and said everyone on the team began rushing things in an attempt to make up ground. They dug an early hole with 0-7 and then 24-36 records, and the high-water marks have been 52-49 and then 55-52.

"We learned from the mistakes we made in trying to get it all back at once," Renteria said, "and we won't do that again."

There has been speculation that the Tigers will buy out Renteria's $12 million contract next season, but that remains to be seen. He could come back at a lesser salary because the free agent crop is shortstop-thin and there are no minor league prospects at the position ready for the big leagues.

Detroit's infield in 2006 featured Carlos Guillen at shortstop, Placido Polanco at second, Brandon Inge at third and Sean Casey at first. Ivan Rodriguez was the catcher.

Now Inge is catching with Guillen at third, Miguel Cabrera at first and Renteria at short. Polanco is the lone constant two years later.

The outfield of Marcus Thames, Curtis Granderson and Magglio Ordonez has remained about the same. Only now Matt Joyce is sharing left with Thames instead of Craig Monroe.

"This has been an odd year," Inge said. "The team has changed drastically, and it was a different year trying to adjust. This is a slower team. We were quicker then with a faster defense. Now we are set up as a thumper team."

And if they "thumpers" aren't hitting extra-base hits, Detroit is not winning games by manufacturing runs or with defense.

So, if the Tigers are to return to the playoffs in 2009, it could be with a different and more versatile team.

"Next year, we will be like every other team that didn't make the playoffs and wasn't satisfied," Granderson said. "We'll have to look at what went wrong and improve. Consistency is what it takes, and we didn't have enough of that this year."

Hermie13
09-12-2008, 08:19 AM
Better start adding a lot of pitchers (both starters and bullpen).....and dump Renteria if you want to get to the world series, lol

Bondomania
09-12-2008, 12:30 PM
funny.. considering Renteria most likely won't be on the team next year.. and i find it funny that they say that they are going to buy out renteria.. when in fact there is a 3 mill. buyout and that buyout is being paid by Boston.. so it makes sense to opt to not pick up the option, and see what we can get via a trade, and then if we have to, we can resign him at a significantly reduced price.. i think the best thing would be to not pick up the option, offer arbitration and hope someone else picks him up, and then we can get the draft picks.. but we will definitly need to trade someone of value to get younger, or get some pitching

Sabres39
09-12-2008, 12:33 PM
Does he know something we don't? Does he know that they plan on addressing their pitching issues this off-season?

redwings1
09-12-2008, 02:36 PM
yeah renteria needs to step up then if he is going to stay on the team

Hermie13
09-12-2008, 03:18 PM
i think the best thing would be to not pick up the option, offer arbitration and hope someone else picks him up, and then we can get the draft picks.. but we will definitly need to trade someone of value to get younger, or get some pitching

Is he a type-A or B free agent?

Epic89
09-13-2008, 01:16 AM
World Series?

I'd bet my life they don't even make the playoffs next year. My life

JackB
09-13-2008, 08:02 AM
Ouch !!!

CarniifeX
09-13-2008, 11:08 PM
Funny thing is, he won't be a Tiger next season.

Epic89
09-14-2008, 12:21 AM
Funny thing is, he won't be a Tiger next season.

Don't count on that. I hate to say it, but don't count on that

stanpapi
09-14-2008, 01:27 AM
Don't count on that. I hate to say it, but don't count on that

I guess I stopped considering that he'd be back, but then Dave would have to admit he made a mistake.

Bondomania
09-14-2008, 02:57 AM
pure stupidity if they bring him back.. the whole reason we made this trade was because guillen's range was declining..now renteria's range is just as bad as Guillen's... this would just be a bad move.. it would be better to save the cash and go out and offer it to a pitcher of some sort

stanpapi
09-14-2008, 12:38 PM
Agreed, but DD has a bad track record when it comes to admitting his mistakes.

IndiansFan337
09-14-2008, 12:55 PM
The question is: why in the world is Renteria the one saying this, when he's not even a good bet to remain a Tiger for 2009? :confused:

smarkow
09-15-2008, 10:39 AM
as the article mentioned, the Tigers may be able to sign him back to a much smaller contract. I'm not totally opposed to it, if the price is right. Obviously, the tigers don't feel santiago is their answer at short stop. god knows he can't be worse than renteria, but what can you do.