PDA

View Full Version : How come nobody is talking about the Astros?

cegielskijastro
09-12-2008, 12:02 AM
I'm wondering when people are going to take the Astros seriously, i mean they've gone 33-11 since july 27, they're only 3 games out of the wild card, randy wolfs been pretty good since the trade, everyone has been contributing. We have people starting games that i didn't know we had (Alberto Arias), and winning. Roy Oswalt has been going out of his mind (he just threw his second consecutive complete game shut out). I wish people would say something because the Brewers, Cubs, and Cardinals are playing pretty bad right now.

Have you seen the rest of the our schedule
Cubs
Pittsburgh
Florida
Cincinnati
Atlanta
Besides the Cubs (who we swept a few days ago) we really shouldn't have many problems. Did I Mention Roy Oswalt is pitching out of his mind?

Plese tell me what you guys think... and hopefully i didnt make any Cubs, Brewers, or Cardinals fans angry

astrobooster
09-12-2008, 12:15 AM
Been wondering the same thing everyone is always talking phillies or mets give a break the real playoff fight is brewers and astros

astrosmaniac
09-12-2008, 12:31 AM
the main reason no one talks about us is because were the astros. we've never really been that dominant team year in and year out. Also we arent a big sports market. oswalt has thrown 32 consecutive scoreless innings (a franchise record and longest since webbs streak a year or 2 ago). also the 2 postponed games really helps us. we get to have wolfe-mohler-oswalt-wolfe-mohler-oswalt due to the 2 days off (going from the last 3 games to the next 3). if i had said those 3 guys would be the key to our rotation and making the plkayoffs back at the begining of the year, everyone would have said to STFU and get out. lol

chadtx01
09-12-2008, 01:04 AM
Houston teams never get any kind of recognition sports wise. It doesnt matter what we do, we're always going to take a back seat to the major sports markets.

Look at what the Rockets did. 22 game winning streak, second longest in NBA history, and they would be lucky to be the 3rd or 4th story on Sportscenter.

Houston always gets the shaft when it comes to national attention, unless we fail, then we're front page news.

rhino17
09-12-2008, 01:11 AM
Houston teams never get any kind of recognition sports wise. It doesnt matter what we do, we're always going to take a back seat to the major sports markets.

Look at what the Rockets did. 22 game winning streak, second longest in NBA history, and they would be lucky to be the 3rd or 4th story on Sportscenter.

Houston always gets the shaft when it comes to national attention, unless we fail, then we're front page news.

why are we not considered a major sports market?

we are in the 4th biggest city in the country

chadtx01
09-12-2008, 01:15 AM
why are we not considered a major sports market?

we are in the 4th biggest city in the country

I dont know why, but we're not. For some reason it comes down to Boston, New York and L.A.

I dont know if its that they're "storied" franchises or what the deal is. We've to the major sports, we've got the success, but we dont get the attention.

I know ESPN is biased because its based in the Northeast, but we dont get love from anybody.

NYMETS6986
09-12-2008, 01:37 AM
ive been following the astros rise since the last time they played the mets and beat us a few times. youve def been under the radar and if you had lee goin too that would be pretty sick right now. as hot as the astros are it looks like a final day wild card battle to see who takes it like last year with the pads and rockies. the 2 hottest teams in the NL right now are the mets and astros and i would not be surprised at all to see young milwaukee relinquish the wild card lead to you, the phillies will help u guys out this week....

lilboytwister99
09-12-2008, 08:10 AM
I wouldnt worry too much about nobody talking about the Astros because it takes a lot of pressure off of us. Getting all this attention from the media just makes it harder to perform if you ask me. I mean look at the Yankees or Red Sox.... they get praised left and right, but what happens if they lose? Oh if they lose, the media goes on a frenzy downing them in every way possible. They eat it up big time.

I like being the "overlooked" team. This wild card run will be definitely exciting. Im jacked!

Agstro
09-12-2008, 09:19 AM
I wouldnt worry too much about nobody talking about the Astros because it takes a lot of pressure off of us. Getting all this attention from the media just makes it harder to perform if you ask me. I mean look at the Yankees or Red Sox.... they get praised left and right, but what happens if they lose? Oh if they lose, the media goes on a frenzy downing them in every way possible. They eat it up big time.

I like being the "overlooked" team. This wild card run will be definitely exciting. Im jacked!

I think compared to usual we have been getting more coverage than usual, but I agree we usually get passed over. I only say more than usual because ESPN has been give us a little attention lately. There was an article on Pence last week, and little article on the main page of ESPN after each of wins recently because we have been making the wild card interesting. I was also listening to ESPN radio the other day on the way home and one of the things they were talking about was the only thing that has been able to stop the Astros lately was hurricane Ike.

On that note everybody be safe this weekend.

sep11ie
09-12-2008, 02:38 PM
I've actually been hearing a lot about the "Stros here as of late. Now I'm hearing we're the team nobody really wants to play.

Freel for prez
09-12-2008, 10:30 PM
I have said it well before the year started "the Astros are another pitcher away from being a dominating team" You haven't really gotten that other ace (if I'm not mistaken) but you guys have to be such a fun team to watch. (Berkman, Lee, Tejeda, Pence.) That is such a nasty lineup and its not even configuring guys like Matsui, Wigginton, Loretta and Blum. Keep up the good work and make the race more interesting. Not to mention last year everyone thought the NL central was the weakest division. (which is absurd) The NL central is now hands down the best division!!! Especially with the 'Stros catching fire now.

Chazm
09-14-2008, 01:00 PM
Ive heard a good amount of talk about the astros in the past couple of weeks.

Also, about the rockets...are you crazy? On sportscenter thats all I heard about when they were on their crazy run.

In all honesty I hope the cubs face the Astros rather than the Brewers in the playoffs (if all the teams got that far). Dont get me wrong, the astros have a good team but in the playoffs the rotation plays a big role. Possibly Facing CC and Sheets twice in a 7 game series would be extremely tough.

Being the underdog is good though, you can easily catch teams by surprise...and I think the stros can do that