PDA

View Full Version : Jr @ Pg?

AIMelo=KillaDUO
09-11-2008, 09:15 PM
Someone brought it to my attention yesterday... "what if JR Smith played PG? He could be similar to Baron Davis (with his driving ability and jumpshot" my initial reaction was "your crazy... JR can't play PG" but, the more I thought about it, the more it made sense.

JR is 3 inches taller and weighs about 5 pounds more than BD, and BD is thicker.

I understand JR has a shoot first and shoot second mentality... but, do you think GK or AI or anyone could convice him to only shoot open 3's, take it to the bucket when he's got an open lane?

Would he be just as affective? I kinda like the comparison to Baron Davis.
Just my thoughts.

Let me know wat you think... Why or why wouldn't it work?

C-Dub
09-11-2008, 09:43 PM
I just dont think JR is ready to have a load of decision making on his belt yet, let him improve even more and get more playing to so he can mature as a player yet. I love JR but i just dont think he would be ready to play PG yet if he did at all.

DenButsu
09-11-2008, 11:52 PM
I think GK's quote on that last season was something to the effect of rolling his eyes, making a facial expression like, "what - evERRRRRR" and going on to say, "Yeah, right, I'm gonna make the guy our point guard who has the highest turnover rate on the team - great idea."

Now granted, that was like last December if I remember right, so before J.R.'s beig turnaround, but needless to say, I don't think it's gonna happen. I don't think it's a bad concept, though, if Smitty can actually improve his handle to the point where he's not a total liability as the primary ball handler. He actually is a quick decision maker.

DenButsu
09-11-2008, 11:58 PM
Just adding to that^ a bit, when both Carter and Atkins were out in November last season and (yikes) Wilks was our only true pg, whith Diawara and occasionally LK getting starts alongside AI, JR did play for stretches at point with some success. The best thing to come of that was that it aided in his growth as a less selfish player, imo. He did turn it over a lot, but the offense flowed pretty well on mistake-free possessions. He is capable of spending at least some time there, and probably that's more true now than ever before in his career.

BenFrank
09-12-2008, 12:40 PM
I can't see why Iverson can't play point, JR more of a 2, his dribbling ant that good, and I question his decision makein 2, Iverson can play point.. denver would be a much better team if he did