PDA

View Full Version : Amare Stoudemire's Body Fat

LAKERS 24/7
09-11-2008, 03:53 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Amare-Stoudemire-is-ready-to-rock;_ylt=Au4Pq0UB8LdZpy1Gb2ZDYXS8vLYF?urn=nba,106 761

He is talking about and working on his defense. He declares his passion for the game to be at an all-time high, bringing him to the court morning and night most weekdays. He is raving about his new coach, Terry Porter, and teammates.

He is worry-free about his surgically repaired knees. And his good effort has extended off the court, having just returned from a week in Sierra Leone to be part of a project to rehabilitate water wells that he helped fund.

'I feel fit and fierce,' he said. 'My health is tremendous. I have no worries about extra work. Before, I never wanted to overwork. I always wanted to do more, but I was coming back from injuries. I can do whatever I want on the court without second-guessing now.'"

'I'm at 2 percent body fat and 245 pounds and my (knees) ... I feel like I can do anything I want on the court again,' he said."

wow, that is absolutely amazing.

TMAC94
09-11-2008, 05:06 AM
woah 2 percent !

codes238
09-11-2008, 05:16 AM
im a third year medicine student and i can tell you that 2% body fat is both unhealthy and impossible... nevertheless i think amares gonna be a beast this year!

bigmac8675
09-11-2008, 05:47 AM
2%!!! Wow..... that is insane. He seems confident about his abailities now, as well as the health of his knee and body. I guess we can look to expect quite a year from him!

Tom81
09-11-2008, 06:05 AM
Nice,when I was in college I have 5 %

lavis
09-11-2008, 06:29 AM
im a third year medicine student and i can tell you that 2% body fat is both unhealthy and impossible... nevertheless i think amares gonna be a beast this year!

Yeah yeah yeah.. According to medicine you can drink like 2 beers and if you drink more you die instantly. :rolleyes:

That 2% is probably 3%. But we've heard about 3% so much that only 2% sounds impressive.

Beno7500
09-11-2008, 10:11 AM
Holy ****

Joshtd1
09-11-2008, 10:15 AM
He has all the tools to be an excellent defender(speed, athleticism), but his biggest problem(along with plenty of other players) is his defensive IQ.

mitch91
09-11-2008, 10:40 AM
He has all the tools to be an excellent defender(speed, athleticism), but his biggest problem(along with plenty of other players) is his defensive IQ.

wow a spurs fan complimenting a suns player lol but yeh i basically agree with that. i think shaq can help his iq tho...

LakerzDQ
09-11-2008, 11:04 AM
2% body fat?! no way man. I know Amare is probably really fit now, but 2% isn't possible.

he'll be a great player. I wish him all the luck, because even if he's that good, he won't really threaten the Lakers' chances too much.

$ NyC $
09-11-2008, 11:13 AM
Damn, and i already thought he was gonna have a monster season.

soriano2008WS
09-11-2008, 11:16 AM
Worst thread of life

agobbi17
09-11-2008, 11:24 AM
your an idiot for saying 2% body fat is impossible.

MoBASS
09-11-2008, 11:34 AM

Even the best bodybuilders pre-Contest can only dip to 3-4% body fat.

So, like the med student said: 2% IS impossible and unhealthy.

Amare is NOT 2% body fat, according to his pics more like 5-6% lowest

midwestmadman
09-11-2008, 11:36 AM
Be carefull of aiming to body fat at such a low percentage. When it goes below 6.5% you may become overtrained easily and get ill due to the lack of fat soluble minerals. Between 8-10% is low and healthy, and yes 2% is possible if you happend to be an annorixic actress with no muscle tone to speak of.

soriano2008WS
09-11-2008, 11:59 AM
Seriously guys your arguing over how much body fat a man has.

superkegger
09-11-2008, 12:09 PM

Yeah, in highschool for wrestling we weren't allowed to go below like 6% body fat because its unhealthy.

Hawkeye15
09-11-2008, 01:01 PM
Aaron Brooks tested at 2.7% in predraft workouts a year or so ago. That was the lowest measured. And little guys carry less fat. So his claim of 2% is not right, he is just trying to say he is in great shape.

KingDiesel
09-11-2008, 01:02 PM

i agree except about his defensive IQ. he purposely backs off of players while defending to avoid fouling them. he'd rather stay on the court and keep dunking on peoples heads rather than risk sitting down because of foul trouble. maybe porter can change that attitude.

Hawkeye15
09-11-2008, 03:36 PM
i agree except about his defensive IQ. he purposely backs off of players while defending to avoid fouling them. he'd rather stay on the court and keep dunking on peoples heads rather than risk sitting down because of foul trouble. maybe porter can change that attitude.

that is total bs. He is afraid of contact, and doesn't know how to play defense. There is more to defense than speed and heart. You have to understand angles, watch tape after tape of your opponents, Fight hard to get in the right position. The NBA moves to fast to live off reacting alone. He will need to make an effort to try and understand what it is to be a defensive player. And part of defense is rebounding. One shot. KG, Duncan, Howard, they all do this. There is no reason he should not have 10 rpg, which he has never averaged.

_Sn1P3r_
09-11-2008, 05:05 PM
He should be really good this season. His numbers increased with the Shaq trade. He has that oppurtunity now to average the numbers he did again.

IndyRealist
09-11-2008, 05:26 PM

If you're going to call someone an idiot, then you should at least correct your grammar.

2% bodyfat is unhealthy. That's in the range of marathon runners that have to be covered in thermal blankets as soon as the race is over so that they don't freeze to death. A certain amount of bodyfat is needed for the body to function normally, retain heat and fluids, process waste, etc.

fresh prince
09-11-2008, 05:34 PM
Hahaa. Dude the debates on here have been crazy lately.

2 pages of arguing male body fat levels?

In an Allen Iverson voice:

"We're talking about body fat man. We're talking about body fat. We're talking about body fat. We're not talking about the game. We're talking about body fat"!

bogdanrom
09-11-2008, 05:37 PM
I think 2% is a little exagerated but I don't doubt that he's in amazing shape.

ugottabjoshinme
09-11-2008, 05:51 PM
Hahaa. Dude the debates on here have been crazy lately.

2 pages of arguing male body fat levels?

In an Allen Iverson voice:

"We're talking about body fat man. We're talking about body fat. We're talking about body fat. We're not talking about the game. We're talking about body fat"!

hahahahaha

L@ker4Life
09-11-2008, 06:18 PM
Yeah 2% is ridiculous. I have a friend who is a professional body builder and he goes down to 4-5% for competition but he only stays there for a couple days because it does so much damage to his body plus he is always tired when his body fat is bellow 6%.

I dont doubt Amare is going to have a very good year. But the suns may not. They have a new coach with new offensive and defensive systems with an aging nash and shaq. I see them as a 6-7 seed AT BEST.

However I think Shaq may actually have a better year this year than last. He looked absolutely horrible last year health wise. But he was hustlen like a Mofo.

mamba24
09-11-2008, 06:37 PM

ya i definitely wouldnt believe anyone studying to be a doctor... what would a doctor or med student know about the body???

i cant believe how dumb some people are...

Bishnoff
09-11-2008, 06:58 PM
I'm just shocked that so many non-Suns' fans aren't hating on Amare. Complete contrast to the "#3 PF In The Game Today!" thread.

PhxGiant
09-11-2008, 07:23 PM
I'm glad to see he's fired up and working extra hard. I'm confident that he will improve his defense, when he commits to something he improves dramatically just look at his jumper and freethrows % as proof. He should be very very fun to watch this year, i think this is the beginning of his prime years.

PhxGiant
09-11-2008, 07:25 PM
I'm just shocked that so many non-Suns' fans aren't hating on Amare. Complete contrast to the "#3 PF In The Game Today!" thread.

That just goes to show you how many BASKETBALL fans are on here, we might not like certain teams that much but we respect the hell out of players that work hard and perform.

ARMIN12NBA
09-11-2008, 07:49 PM
Damn, and i already thought he was gonna have a monster season.

So his body fat makes you more assured he is going to have a monster season (What has happened to PSD!!!)...Body fat % does not help anybody become a better player.

Bishnoff
09-11-2008, 07:57 PM
I'm glad to see he's fired up and working extra hard. I'm confident that he will improve his defense, when he commits to something he improves dramatically just look at his jumper and freethrows % as proof. He should be very very fun to watch this year, i think this is the beginning of his prime years.

Amen to that. It's scary (for opposition fans) to think that he averaged 25.2 PPG @ 0.590 % (28.5 PPG @ 0.588 after the Marion/Shaq trade) last season in only a tad over 30 MPG with a body he wasn’t “confident” in and not prepared to “overwork”. I think we’ll see more explosive moves and higher percentage shots from him than we have since his injury, plus more minutes (somewhere around the 40 PPG mark). Therefore, I think he could go for 35 PPG this year with the same service from Nash since he will get more shots/plays with the current line-up.

GregOden#1
09-11-2008, 07:57 PM
Since when do we believe players about their physical stats :rolleyes:. What motivation does he have to tell the truth?

GregOden#1
09-11-2008, 07:58 PM
Amen to that. It's scary (for opposition fans) to think that he averaged 25.2 PPG @ 0.590 % (28.5 PPG @ 0.588 after the Marion/Shaq trade) last season in only a tad over 30 MPG with a body he wasn’t “confident” in and not prepared to “overwork”. I think we’ll see more explosive moves and higher percentage shots from him than we have since his injury, plus more minutes (somewhere around the 40 PPG mark). Therefore, I think he could go for 35 PPG this year with the same service from Nash since he will get more shots/plays with the current line-up.

I honestly think it's possible for him to get up to 35-40PPG, Elgin Baylor type numbers. *Provided he plays enough mpg

theimortalone
09-11-2008, 09:03 PM
I honestly think it's possible for him to get up to 35-40PPG, Elgin Baylor type numbers. *Provided he plays enough mpg

Yeah I agree man. he can easily do it, they might lose more games tho because of Amare taking more shots lol. I think he could put up 35-40 PPG. :clap:

Famous03
09-11-2008, 10:10 PM
wow this guy is a Basketball god.

29$JerZ
09-11-2008, 10:48 PM
2% body fat is only unhealthy if your not an athlete or physically fit to your peak.

theimortalone
09-11-2008, 10:54 PM
Amare is gonna be so much fun to watch this year! And he is in the peak of his Prime too! So even better!

Hotone1401
09-11-2008, 11:33 PM
2% body fat is only unhealthy if your not an athlete or physically fit to your peak.

Where in the world did you get that information? I am also a med student and I can assure you that Amare does NOT have 2% body fat. Having body fat levels that low is unhealthy for anybody but even more so for athletes no matter how physically fit you are. You risk injury, decreased performance, low energy reserves, and other health issues by having such low body fat.

I think Amare is just exagerrating. Anything below 5% body fat is considered unhealthy in the medical community, so anybody saying otherwise is just either speaking on what they don't know or just misinformed, like you. It is also said that body fat levels aren't a good indicator of how great of an athlete you are. Not to say Amare isn't going to have a great year, I just think the guy is really excited about being 100% healthy again.

x_notorious
09-12-2008, 12:03 AM
2%? That seems WAY too low. Exaggeration probably. Nonetheless, he is still a beast on the floor. Athletic freak and gets better each year.

One thing I must say, he is a PF, not a center. The way his body is and his style of play is for a PF. Should be interesting to see how the Suns handle the whole situation once Shaq leaves [barring if his statement that he made that he will retire after his contract is up is true].

barreleffact
09-12-2008, 12:27 AM

I'm not a big fan of Amare but I will admit he has game. But you cant really look at the shooting and freethrows% because he had a year off and could do nothing but shoot all day. It was either be lazy or commit to his shot.

and no way in hell does he have a 2% body fat. he was def exaggerating. fats are energy and 2% would give him nowhere near enough to play a game w/o losng focus and tiring out

LAKERS 24/7
09-12-2008, 05:44 AM
Yeah I agree man. he can easily do it, they might lose more games tho because of Amare taking more shots lol. I think he could put up 35-40 PPG. :clap:

Honestly, I doubt he could do that. 35-40 ppg are insane numbers. Even if he did I doubt it would help his team. 05-06 Kobe averaged 35 points per game, and we got a first round exit. Since he changed his game we have been winning more, because we knwo have better role players who are able to do more than leave a fat load on the court and go home. Amare has good teammates, its not wise to burden the scoring load neadlessly.

Tom81
09-12-2008, 06:04 AM
amare at last no healthy problem in last 3 years .Good sign.

dodie53
09-12-2008, 09:09 AM
amare: 2009 Finals MVP