PDA

View Full Version : D wins ChampionshipS?

SAVAGE CLAW
09-11-2008, 12:17 AM
Everybody repeats that mantra year after year when the Suns fall out of the playoffs and the Pistons , Spurs or Celtics win rings.

But how certain is that?

Imagine for instance : how far do you think a team Entirely composed of Defensive Beasts but with few or Non existant Offensive Abilites would go?

Example of the roster im Talking About.

Starters:Rondo,Igoudala,Bowen,Okafor ,Chandler.

Bench: E.Watson,D.Stevenson,Raja Bell , Wilcox ,Camby.

Third: Strawberry,Carney,Millsap,Kwame,Mutombo

This is a team even the Usa team would have real trouble to score over more than 70 points but there is no risk they outscore even a girls high school team.

KG#1
09-11-2008, 01:47 AM
iquodala/rondo/bell would handle the scoring
okafor/chandler handle the dunks

add 1 offensive plater for a championship

ARMIN12NBA
09-11-2008, 01:54 AM
Offense AND Defense wins championships. You can't put a team of solely defensive stoppers and expect them to win. They need to have a scorer as well. Andre Iguadola could be that scorer, but he was stopped in the playoffs very easily because there were no scorers around him.

chadtx01
09-11-2008, 02:10 AM
I dont think the team would be very successful. Yes, defense does win championships but obviously you have to be able to put points on the board.

Only giving up 70 is great, unless you average 59 a game.

I still dont see how Battier and Artest didnt make the defensive cut lol.

LAKERS 24/7
09-11-2008, 02:14 AM
andre would have to average at least 30-35 points for this team for them to have any chance

Rome
09-11-2008, 03:13 AM
True. But would be fun to see how they would play against a top offensive team. Bell and AI could handle the scoring.

ARMIN12NBA
09-11-2008, 03:21 AM
True. But would be fun to see how they would play against a top offensive team. Bell and AI could handle the scoring.

Bell? He shot 42% from the field. He can't handle any scoring. It would be AI and...nobody else.

LAKERS 24/7
09-11-2008, 03:35 AM
Bell? He shot 42% from the field. He can't handle any scoring. It would be AI and...nobody else.

not only that, his main scoring threat is from the perimeter, he mostly shoots 3's. he can't really create his own offense.

Hellcrooner
09-11-2008, 03:41 AM
id rather have a Nut offense team.

Like Jason Williams, Redd, Melo, Gasol and Curry.

Would win no rings but at least i would not be yawning the whole season...

Chronz
09-11-2008, 04:04 AM
The Nuggets before they added Carmelo were a top defensive team in the league, they won 17 games. You need a balance of both to win, PERIOD.

MiamiHeatWade33
09-11-2008, 04:34 AM
Jaque Vaugn BRuce Bowen Tim DUncan and the spurs are the key thats why there a championship level team

JordansBulls
09-11-2008, 07:52 AM
The Nuggets before they added Carmelo were a top defensive team in the league, they won 17 games. You need a balance of both to win, PERIOD.

:nod:

NYKnickFanatic
09-11-2008, 08:22 AM
Honestly, a lot of people say "defense wins championships", I guess its kinda true.

But in reality offense does.

Because if you do not outscore your opponet, then you cant win.

So I really do not believe that defense wins championships.

bbcmillionaire
09-11-2008, 09:12 AM
my defensive team
hinrich,igudola,artest,duncan,mutumbo
rondo,thabo sefelosha,battier,david lee, camby
Your team is good but mine would be champions

NYKnickFanatic
09-11-2008, 09:22 AM
my defensive team
hinrich,igudola,artest,duncan,mutumbo
rondo,thabo sefelosha,battier,david lee, camby
Your team is good but mine would be champions

Not a defender.

NYKnickFanatic
09-11-2008, 09:25 AM
Give me a team that would stop this core:

PG: Chris Paul
SG: Kobe Bryant
SF: LeBron James
PF:Chris Bosh
C: Dwight Howard

Bench:
Steve Nash
Allen Iverson
Carmelo Anthony
Al Jefferson
Yao Ming

kobe24>jordan23
09-11-2008, 09:58 AM
my bad i only read the poll but after reading the rest i'll choose making the playoffs instead..

Sixerlover
09-11-2008, 10:00 AM
Give me a team that would stop this core:

PG: Chris Paul
SG: Kobe Bryant
SF: LeBron James
PF:Chris Bosh
C: Dwight Howard

Bench:
Steve Nash
Allen Iverson
Carmelo Anthony
Al Jefferson
Yao Ming

The olympic lineup? No one. Those are the best players in the world. What kind of question was that?

Sixerlover
09-11-2008, 10:01 AM
Honestly, a lot of people say "defense wins championships", I guess its kinda true.

You also need to prevent our opponent from outscoring you. Thus the defense !

Joshtd1
09-11-2008, 10:05 AM
The olympic lineup? No one. Those are the best players in the world. What kind of question was that?

Yet the Spain team almost beat them without Calderon. With Calderon, I would bet USA loses that game.

PhillySportFan
09-11-2008, 10:07 AM
Defense wins championships, I believe that to be true in football as well but you can't give yourself a chance without offense. Offense in both football and basketball are setup to succeed while defense in both are setup to fail, thats the big difference. If you have a decent offense and a great defense then you can win a championship. If you have a great offense and a decent defense you chances dramatically drop unless other teams defenses are average.

Beno7500
09-11-2008, 10:09 AM
And where is Artest?

Joshtd1
09-11-2008, 10:10 AM

They both do, its just that better defensive teams(with good mix of offense) tend to win more then say just a pure offensive team.

Take the Suns for example..and Warriors, and Nuggets.

Now if you go and look at the champions for the past 6 years, you will notice that each team that won it, had a good mix of both D and offense. (SA, Pistons, SA, Heat, SA, Celtics) I'm not sure about the Heat's defensive rating, but I know the Pistons, Celtics, and Spurs were all top defensive teams the year they won it.

SAVAGE CLAW
09-11-2008, 10:26 PM
I thought of Artest, Battier Or Prince but decided to not take them on the list because they all are GOOD in offense too, so if you got a starting 5 of 4 ultradefensive and tough guys and add one legit scorer then there is no doubt you will win.

Famous03
09-11-2008, 10:31 PM
Defense does win championships, but i really do think that if the spurs wouldnt of gotten that cheap shot on the suns, the suns would of won the NBA championship without playing defense.

SHONIE
09-11-2008, 11:03 PM
The problem with this thread is that it doesn't take into account the fact that some of the premier defenders in the league are also offensive threats (Kobe, KG, Artest, etc.)

Looking at the teams with the best defense in the league, you will find that they have offensive players who just so happen to play great defense, or visa versa. In reality, you are more likely to find a great offensive player who plays great defense as well than a great defender who can't do **** on offense, since most great defenders are amazingly athletic, and with this athleticism would come great offense in many cases.