PDA

View Full Version : BLAZERS vs. GRIZZLIES -- The Next 10 Years

hockeypro68
09-10-2008, 08:38 PM
These are 2 Very young teams with a couple of the brightest futures in the NBA. Both consist of promising young players full of potential and undeveloped talent. It will be very interesting to watch both of these teams age and eventually blossom into major powers in the Western Conference and NBA.

On the Grizzlies side, you have former #4 selection Mike Conley, who in his rookie season of only 53 games and limited play averaged roughly 9 points, 3 rebounds, 4 assists. Not bad for a pointguard's rookie season really. Then you have this years #3 selection in OJ Mayo. I'm sure you're all aware of just how much hype is on this kid to perform. I'm eager to see how he plays. Then theres the 22 year old Rudy Gay, who in his sophomore season averaged 20pts, 6reb, 2ast, 1.4stl, 1.0blk in 81 games. Enough said? Next there's the 23 year old Marc Gasol, who looked good in Olympic play. I think he can certainly contribute at the NBA level. Finally there's the new acquisition of the Iranian player Hamed Haddadi, who led in Blocks and Rebounds amoung all players in the Olympics. That's impressive no matter what way you look at it. This guy could be something. They also have 3 young players who could be contributors in Hakim Warrik, Kyle Lowry, or Javaris Crittenton.
There's also currently a trade on the table between the Grizzlies and the Knicks that many are saying is more than likely going to go through. It will send Zach Randolph to the Grizzlies in exchange for Marko Jaric and Darko Milicic. I'm sure Grizzlies fans are torn on this one. On the one hand you're giving up on Darko Milicic, who shows some signs of improvement last season, although is still not meeting expectations just yet. Jaric is a solid role player, but it doesn't look like he'll be getting any better. Then you have Zach Randolph. Whether or not he creates attitude or chemistry problems (which I think is just the excuse many teams use to justify losing), he's still a Baller. He still averaged nearly 24 points 2 seasons ago, and 18 last season. That and he can rebound... thats about it. But with the addidtion of Marc Gasol AND the Iranian Haddadi, the Grizzlies have less need for Darko, and thus I think it'd be only beneficial to trade Milicic and get whatever you can... such as a proven scorer in Zach Randolph. So all in all, it is going to be very interesting to see this team develop and age.

Then you have the Blazers. Anyone who follows the NBA knows just how promising this team is. They won 41 games in the RIDICULOUSLY competitive Western Conference last season, and that was Before the addition of former #1 selection Greg Oden, rookie stud Jerryd Bayless who averaged nearly THIRTY points in NBA Summer League. You can downplay that in whatever way you want, it's still impressive. Then there's Rudy Fernandez. This guy has a Lot of talent. He played extremely well in the Gold Medal game, racking up 22 points on 7/13 shooting, including Five 3pointers, and this AMAZING drive in dunk over/past Dwight Howard...
http://i36.tinypic.com/mkynva.gif There's no denying he will be a big part of the team in time. Among other young players with a lot of potential on the team,LAMARCUS ALDRIDGE, Martell Webster, Sergio Rodriguez, Travis Outlaw, and Nicolas Batum. Again, I'm eager to see how this team plays over the next decade or so.

So all in all, I want to know which of these teams you think will have more success over the next 10 years in the NBA? How good do you think each team will be? How soon? Many are throwing the Blazers into the playoff picture for next season, but could the Grizzlies do just as good next season? I think it's entirely possible.

JMan17
09-10-2008, 08:40 PM
These are 2 Very young teams with a couple of the brightest futures in the NBA. Both consist of promising young players full of potential and undeveloped talent. It will be very interesting to watch both of these teams age and eventually blossom into major powers in the Western Conference and NBA.

On the Grizzlies side, you have former #4 selection Mike Conley, who in his rookie season of only 53 games and limited play averaged roughly 9 points, 3 rebounds, 4 assists. Not bad for a pointguard's rookie season really. Then you have this years #3 selection in OJ Mayo. I'm sure you're all aware of just how much hype is on this kid to perform. I'm eager to see how he plays. Then theres the 22 year old Rudy Gay, who in his sophomore season averaged 20pts, 6reb, 2ast, 1.4stl, 1.0blk in 81 games. Enough said? Next there's the 23 year old Marc Gasol, who looked good in Olympic play. I think he can certainly contribute at the NBA level. Finally there's the new acquisition of the Iranian player Hamed Haddadi, who led in Blocks and Rebounds amoung all players in the Olympics. That's impressive no matter what way you look at it. This guy could be something. They also have 3 young players who could be contributors in Hakim Warrik, Kyle Lowry, or Javaris Crittenton.
There's also currently a trade on the table between the Grizzlies and the Knicks that many are saying is more than likely going to go through. It will send Zach Randolph to the Grizzlies in exchange for Marko Jaric and Darko Milicic. I'm sure Grizzlies fans are torn on this one. On the one hand you're giving up on Darko Milicic, who shows some signs of improvement last season, although is still not meeting expectations just yet. Jaric is a solid role player, but it doesn't look like he'll be getting any better. Then you have Zach Randolph. Whether or not he creates attitude or chemistry problems (which I think is just the excuse many teams use to justify losing), he's still a Baller. He still averaged nearly 24 points 2 seasons ago, and 18 last season. That and he can rebound... thats about it. But with the addidtion of Marc Gasol AND the Iranian Haddadi, the Grizzlies have less need for Darko, and thus I think it'd be only beneficial to trade Milicic and get whatever you can... such as a proven scorer in Zach Randolph. So all in all, it is going to be very interesting to see this team develop and age.

Then you have the Blazers. Anyone who follows the NBA knows just how promising this team is. They won 41 games in the RIDICULOUSLY competitive Western Conference last season, and that was Before the addition of former #1 selection Greg Oden, rookie stud Jerryd Bayless who averaged nearly THIRTY points in NBA Summer League. You can downplay that in whatever way you want, it's still impressive. Then there's Rudy Fernandez. This guy has a Lot of talent. He played extremely well in the Gold Medal game, racking up 22 points on 7/13 shooting, including Five 3pointers, and this AMAZING drive in dunk over/past Dwight Howard...
http://i36.tinypic.com/mkynva.gif There's no denying he will be a big part of the team in time. Among other young players with a lot of potential on the team, Martell Webster, Sergio Rodriguez, Travis Outlaw, and Nicolas Batum. Again, I'm eager to see how this team plays over the next decade or so.

So all in all, I want to know which of these teams you think will have more success over the next 10 years in the NBA? How good do you think each team will be? How soon? Many are throwing the Blazers into the playoff picture for next season, but could the Grizzlies do just as good next season? I think it's entirely possible.

it's tough, there both young and talented teams, but since i think O.J. Mayo is the next kobe, i go with the grizz :D

superkegger
09-10-2008, 08:48 PM
Blazers are already good, and then they'll add Oden, Bayless, Batum, Fernandez this year, ****ing scary.

Hawkeye15
09-10-2008, 08:51 PM
it's tough, there both young and talented teams, but since i think O.J. Mayo is the next kobe, i go with the grizz :D

a 6'3", poor decision maker is not the next Kobe. The next Ben Gordon, sure.

EAGLES3658
09-10-2008, 08:57 PM
i love rudy gay but i have to say the blazers

Second City
09-10-2008, 08:59 PM
Blazers, hands down.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
09-10-2008, 09:01 PM
marc gasol is booboo

Beno7500
09-10-2008, 09:08 PM
Grizzlies

GSRaider
09-10-2008, 09:08 PM
The Warriors have more young talent then the Grizzlies!!!

IndyRealist
09-10-2008, 09:13 PM
Blazers, easily. The Grizzlies still haven't shown that they have any sort of game plan, or that they're willing to spend the money it takes to build a contender. They had Pau Gasol, and instead of building around him, they traded for cap space. And what did they do with that cap space? Nothing. What they're doing is building a cheap team full of talented draft picks that they can trade away to keep their payroll down. Because of the NBA's luxury tax and merchandise profit sharing, if the keep their payroll low enough it won't matter that they have the lowest attendance in the NBA, because they'll still make money!

The Blazers bought out Steve Francis. They've drafted and traded smartly to fill holes in their roster. They've shown they have an idea of where they're going and the willingness to spend to get there.

The Prodigy
09-10-2008, 09:20 PM
i think the grizzlies will be better because in the next two years they'll be in the top 5 for draft picks and then the next 8 years theyll have a expiernced team that could have all five starters at an allstar level...

bayless>conley
roy<mayo will most likely be better
fernandez<<<rudy gay much better
aldrige>>>haddadi or aldrige=randolf if plays to win
oden=gasol-havent seen oden play on the elite level yet plus he already had a bad injury

beside these players they could have 2 more top 5 picks and the blazers are set for playoffs the next year so theyre out the running for top draft picks

The Prodigy
09-10-2008, 09:23 PM
Blazers, easily. The Grizzlies still haven't shown that they have any sort of game plan, or that they're willing to spend the money it takes to build a contender. They had Pau Gasol, and instead of building around him, they traded for cap space. And what did they do with that cap space? Nothing. What they're doing is building a cheap team full of talented draft picks that they can trade away to keep their payroll down. Because of the NBA's luxury tax and merchandise profit sharing, if the keep their payroll low enough it won't matter that they have the lowest attendance in the NBA, because they'll still make money!

The Blazers bought out Steve Francis. They've drafted and traded smartly to fill holes in their roster. They've shown they have an idea of where they're going and the willingness to spend to get there.

the grizzlies could be doin that cause they got the money to lose. meaning that they can still get top picks within the next years and not go out like seattle...they got future superstars with mayo and gay and future possible allstars with conley and gasol and maybe hadadi

JMan17
09-10-2008, 09:28 PM
a 6'3", poor decision maker is not the next Kobe. The next Ben Gordon, sure.

Ai is 6'0 but played SG most of his career. nate Robinson is 5'9 (well really 5'7) and he can dunk. height don't mean anything anymore.

RocketsRule
09-10-2008, 09:35 PM
For me it's the Blazers.

The thing is that they have weak, unproven front line that consists of Kwame Brown, Darko Milicic, and Marc Gasol. None of these guys, unless Gasol proves otherwise, are a good big men. They are solid, but not enough to make them a great team. There backcourt, however, is very promising. They have up and coming players in Gay, Conley, and Mayo. All of whom who have potential to be great players in this league.

The Blazers on the other hand, have a very solid all-around team. They have Oden, Aldridge, and Webster in there front court allowing them to have consistency on both the offensive and defensive end. They're back-court consists of Roy, an all star, and Bayless who has the potential to be a great scoring guard. They have plenty of firepower off the bench as well with Travis Outlaw who is a great scorer.

Overall, I'd take the Blazers any day, much better all-around team.

SAVAGE CLAW
09-10-2008, 09:50 PM
Gay better than Rudy mua ha ha ha ha haha.

Grizzlies could have a better future because the roles are stablished, Conley is the one to develop, Gay is the one to develop, Mayo is the one to develop.

Randolph is .... a GREAT trading piece in two years when they decide if some of the projects has not panned out and they need to add an allstar.

Gasol is the Project at Center, trading Milicic just tell you how confident they are in him.

When its time to resign them, they will just sign the checks.

IN portland on the other hand they have a lot of competitive pairs or even trheesomes for each position, that means you CANT develop Rudy, Baylless and Roy all at a time, you have to choose one of them wil develop into allstar but the other too will miss a lot of their potential because of lack of playing time and touches, and of course you can SPOIL ALL of them by just sharing the minutes 20 for each one of them......

Im serious Portland is up to a Rude awakening once egos start floating around.

The best thing they could do is say ROY is an Allstar, Oden and Aldrige seem like all stars.

I can do with sergio, batum ,Webster, Diogu and Lafrentz in the bench

"Lets trade Rudy, Blake, Baylless, Outlow and Frye ( Wow what a promising bunch , they could be the STARTERS!!!!) for a Veteran allstar Poing Guard and a veteran all star Small foward and we are set to win NOW and in the Future without having to go over the salary cap" Before those five aforementioned become CANCERS in the locker room about their playing time theyr number of touches etc etc.

hockeypro68
09-10-2008, 09:59 PM
I respect very much what the Blazers have done with their franchise, making every move possible to improve the team for tomorrow and a decade from now. However, I also really like what the Grizzlies have going for them. I think Conley is being largely underrated. He has the potential to be excellent. I believe the development of Mayo is what the team is banking on, so he better not be a bust. Even if he doesn't become the 'Next Kobe', I expect solid play from him. Also, Gasol and Hadaddi were both impressive in Olympic play. Gasol averaging 7pt 5reb in only 18 minutes, and Haddadi averaging 16.6 points, 11.2 rebounds and 2.6 blocks.

JMan17
09-10-2008, 10:12 PM
Gay better than Rudy mua ha ha ha ha haha.

lol i hope you know the 2 words Rudy and Gay are the same person :p

SAVAGE CLAW
09-10-2008, 10:16 PM
^Rudy FERNANDEZ!!!!!!

ShaunRiching9
09-10-2008, 10:26 PM
blazers Starting Lineup
PG Bayless
SG Roy/Fernandez
SF Roy/Fernendez
Pf Aldridge
C Oden

wow thats scary

hockeypro68
09-10-2008, 10:37 PM
Grizzlies Starting LineUp
Mike Conley
OJ Mayo
Rudy Gay
Zach Randolph
Hamed Haddadi

Bench:
Kyle Lowry
Javaris Crittenton
Hakim Warrik
Marc Gasol
Darrell Arthur
...on an on, but yeah I think the bottom line in this matchup is that BOTH teams have VERY bright futures. Both rosters are full of young talented players.

SAVAGE CLAW
09-10-2008, 10:41 PM
Haddadi starting over marc Gasol?????? Are you high on crack?

That guy was not drafted for a reason, and all his experience is playing in well known and truly " competitive" iranian league.

Marc Gasol is the current MVP of Spanish league, known as the second best National league in the world behind Nba...

hockeypro68
09-10-2008, 10:44 PM
Are you proposing Marc Gasol play Center? Or Randolph for that matter? Please, elaborate.

SAVAGE CLAW
09-10-2008, 10:47 PM
err.... uhhhh Marc Gasol IS a Center..... You know? The other gasol the skinny one is the one who is a PF, you may have heard about him the Name is Pau.

But mar IS a Center.

hockeypro68
09-10-2008, 10:50 PM
I think it'll be interesting to see which one of them gets the starting role and more PT. I don't think it's clear cut either way. They'll have to impress their coaches in training camp.

Ansy
09-10-2008, 11:23 PM
The Blazers easily. If Rudy lives up to the hype, the Blazers might be better at every position.

KG#1
09-11-2008, 01:54 AM
griz will find a wayto skrew it up...like aquiring zbo...what is with teams that have to be decent now instead of being amazing in three years

Hellcrooner
09-11-2008, 02:54 AM
the," we have all of the young talent in the world gathered after a lot of consecutive good picks because we have been sucking for years " experiment has been done before.

Bulls 98-04, Clippers ... clippers every ten years after they qualify once for the playoffs, like in the MIles, Odom, Miller, Brand, Kandi, richardson , Maggette formation some years ago.

Warriors 94 untill...........

Mavs had Kidd, mashburn, Jackson all at a TIme.

THey are young they dont get inmediate succes and as soon as they can they fly away or demmand a trade.

Dont expect much for the future unless they are wise enough to trade young talent for solid plaeyrs.

blackjack_119
09-11-2008, 03:18 AM
the," we have all of the young talent in the world gathered after a lot of consecutive good picks because we have been sucking for years " experiment has been done before.

Bulls 98-04, Clippers ... clippers every ten years after they qualify once for the playoffs, like in the MIles, Odom, Miller, Brand, Kandi, richardson , Maggette formation some years ago.

Warriors 94 untill...........

Mavs had Kidd, mashburn, Jackson all at a TIme.

THey are young they dont get inmediate succes and as soon as they can they fly away or demmand a trade.

Dont expect much for the future unless they are wise enough to trade young talent for solid plaeyrs.

Who do I trust more with a Franchise... Kevin Pritchard or Chris Wallace?
Which owner will spend money to keep his all-stars... Paul Allen (Net Worth $20B) or Michael Heisley ($850M)
Which team was smart enough to get rid of Randolph and which team is stupid enough to trade for him?

MiamiHeatWade33
09-11-2008, 04:55 AM
Blazers

bigmac8675
09-11-2008, 05:49 AM
Blazers.... if they can keep that nucleus together they will be a scary good team for a lot of years to come.

Tom81
09-11-2008, 06:03 AM
Blazers

Sixerlover
09-11-2008, 09:24 AM
If Oden turns into what most people think he will, then it'll be the Blazers because they have that dominant big man that wins you titles. The Grizz don't have that right now, unless Marc Gasol, Kevin Love or Hakim Warrick turn into KG

soriano2008WS
09-11-2008, 09:38 AM
I'll take the Griz

Tblaze
09-11-2008, 09:55 AM
Homer pick!

If Randolph is going to lead that frontcourt, it's not even a discussion.

$ NyC $
09-11-2008, 10:06 AM
hands down

Blazers

$ NyC $
09-11-2008, 10:07 AM
If Oden turns into what most people think he will, then it'll be the Blazers because they have that dominant big man that wins you titles. The Grizz don't have that right now, unless Marc Gasol, Kevin Love or Hakim Warrick turn into KG

Kevin Loves with the Timberwolves bro

Sixerlover
09-11-2008, 10:11 AM
Kevin Loves with the Timberwolves bro
:bang:

I knew that too.. Proves my point even more though

hockeypro68
09-11-2008, 01:31 PM

Now I know there was a Lot more hype and expectations on Oden, but Marc Gasol and Hamed Haddadi both still have the potential to be great centers in the league. I think the fact that Portland's only pure pg is Steve Blake may hurt them. I suggested earlier that they start Roy and Bayless together at the 1 and 2 and have them just split duty, but a lot of people are skeptical about that, myself included. The Grizzlies on the other hand have 2-3 pure pointguards, 1 of which may definitely develop into star. Kyle Lowry, Mike Conley, and Javaris Crittenton, ALL of whom have played solid in the time they've gotten. I look for Mike Conley to start next year, and I think he has the potential to average up to 15/4/8, or something in that ballpark. He's definitely talented. OJ Mayo??? I mean think about it. What IF he lives up to the hype? What if he comes in his rookie season and starts averaging 20+ppg. It's not impossible. Zach Randolph, another capable 20ppg scorer, and then their Centers Gasol and Haddadi, both of which I think are capable of double figure points and/or rebounds if they really thrive.

agnine
09-11-2008, 05:17 PM
I take the Blazers, for right now. Grizz have too many unproven factors, though I think that Mayo will be at least as good as Roy. If Grizz get Randolph and keep him motivated, Haddadi (?) is as good as projected and Mayo lives up to my expectations, I think Gay and Oden become the deciding factors in the argument.

_Sn1P3r_
09-11-2008, 05:25 PM
I'd take the Blazers as well.

SAVAGE CLAW
09-11-2008, 10:17 PM
Baylless and Roy?

If you are going to use two combos make sure its Rudy and Roy.

Summer league Jareed scored 30 game and just 1 !!! asist a game and he is supposed to be a PG? hahahahah

Famous03
09-11-2008, 10:19 PM
I think that the Blazers have the best future overall.

J$mo0th_3o5
09-11-2008, 10:31 PM
Blazers the team is going to be really good

theimortalone
09-11-2008, 11:11 PM
Blazers. They are gonna be the team of the future. They will be in the playoffs for the next 10 years or so.

bball1217
09-12-2008, 12:25 AM
Easy...Blazers

ee
09-12-2008, 12:27 AM
I kinda like the Heat more than the Grizzlies.....They already have DWade

blackjack_119
09-12-2008, 02:39 AM
Baylless and Roy?

If you are going to use two combos make sure its Rudy and Roy.

Summer league Jared scored 30 game and just 1 !!! asist a game and he is supposed to be a PG? hahahahah

Peteri Koponen was the point guard on that team. You also need players who can make a shot in order to get an assist. There was no talent around him on that team... and it's summer league which is meaningless. He's not a 30ppg man and he's not a 1 assist man either.

Furthermore, you can't start Rudy and Roy because neither can defend PG's. Oden will be in foul trouble as it is. You don't need guards penetrating at will as Oden is adjusting to the league.

DreamShaker
09-12-2008, 05:25 AM
The Blazers are like a stacked baseball team with an outstanding farm system....it's actually slightly horrifying how much talent they have....keep also in mind that these guys are gonna be in the market for any megastar that demands out of his contract....especially in the East....

hockeypro68
09-12-2008, 05:28 PM
it's actually slightly horrifying how much talent they have....keep also in mind that these guys are gonna be in the market for any megastar that demands out of his contract....especially in the East....

Exactly. Both teams have all this young talent, which will be on display during the season. So like you said, any superstar who's looking for a change of scenery could be headed to Portland or Memphis in exchange for obviously some young valuable player + an expiring contract or whatever makes it work. On the other hand, even if these teams don't make any huge trades (other than ZBo to Memphis if that ever finalizes), then they'll keep all the young developing talent and probably still do good enough to compete for a playoff spot.

A lot is yet to be seen though. I really don't agree with people who say Portland is 100% making that 8th seed for sure! I think other teams in the league, like the Clippers, Nuggets, and Warriors, have Plenty of talented players on their team, with far more NBA experience than the Blazers. These other teams have just a good a chance, if not more of one to make the playoffs next season if you ask me. It's still going to be a VERY competitive Western Conference. Like I said before, I am not going to be surprised if 2 or even 3 teams tie for the 7th or 8th seeds.