PDA

View Full Version : washington wizards a underdog championship caliber team ?

dannyking18
09-10-2008, 05:24 PM
I truely think the wizards can win a championship,but there weakest area is the center position.i have the wizard as my second best team behind the bos celtics,wizards can be a deadly team with a well known scoring center.how do you guys think the washington wizards would have done if they would have aqquired elton brand from the clipps?,IMO they would have been my fav team to win it all,other centers that would have fit well with the wizards could have been marcus camby,emeka okafor,samuel dalembert...lets be realistic this is true what im truely saying wizards dont have that big man center thread,thats why most of the other teams smart players drive the ball to rim basicly cause theres nobody to patrol the paint.who agrees with what i just said,realistically?

crew158
09-10-2008, 05:32 PM
Hell no. 1st round exit IMO.

IndyRealist
09-10-2008, 05:45 PM
I truely think the wizards can win a championship,but there weakest area is the center position.i have the wizard as my second best team behind the bos celtics,wizards can be a deadly team with a well known scoring center.how do you guys think the washington wizards would have done if they would have aqquired elton brand from the clipps?,IMO they would have been my fav team to win it all,other centers that would have fit well with the wizards could have been marcus camby,emeka okafor,samuel dalembert...lets be realistic this is true what im truely saying wizards dont have that big man center thread,thats why most of the other teams smart players drive the ball to rim basicly cause theres nobody to patrol the paint.who agrees with what i just said,realistically?

Someone already made this thread here (http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=269659). I will say that you can't just say "Well if they added player X, they'd be a champion!" It doesn't work that way. With the salary Brand was getting, there's no way Washington could have acquired Brand and still kept together the team they have. Realistically, they had no chance. And it's not like they need another undersized PF, regardless.

Lakersfan2483
09-10-2008, 05:49 PM

The Wiz are not winning a title anytime soon. I don't think they are good enough to compete with the Celtics, Cavs and Pistons.

Manifesto32
09-10-2008, 05:50 PM
Not this year, maybe along in 2-3 more years.
Reasons why...
Like it or not Jamison is getting older (yes he has been playin good basketball last season)
Their right along with the celtics, however their defense intensity and defense is not as high as the celtics in the playoffs, although they had to play and watch King James kick their butts in the playoff this year.
Besides any injuries possiblities, Gilbert Arenas need to open the offense bit more and need to step up more on defense.

S.J.Basketball
09-10-2008, 05:51 PM
Wizards?!?!? Championship team?!?!?! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

JordansBulls
09-10-2008, 06:02 PM
No way. Neither of their 3 stars is efficient enough.

dannyking18
09-10-2008, 07:02 PM
arenas
butler
jamison
stevenson
E.brand*

...............???

Hawkeye15
09-10-2008, 07:05 PM
they have no center, their shooting guard is average, and they have no depth. Not the greatest equation to win a ring. Washington seems content on being that 5-8 seed.

_Sn1P3r_
09-10-2008, 07:23 PM
Not a good enough team to win a ring. They have 3 really good players but 'something' is missing.

Ph1lly Diehard
09-10-2008, 07:37 PM
If they got Brand ofcourse they would have been one of the favorites. That just changes it all. A top 5 PF on the team with Caron/Antwan/Gilbert is good enough to fight for the 1st round, and a player with the calibur of Brand probably pushes them over the top

PostYourEyes
09-10-2008, 07:43 PM
i could see them playing the raptors as seeds 5 and 6 but i think toronto would be more dominant cause they have JO and bosh, which are 2 of many great C/PFs

Antbanks21
09-10-2008, 07:58 PM
Wizards aren't good enough to get past the Celtics, Cavaliers, Pistons or the Magic and even if they do get past them and make it to the Finals, they cant beat the Western Conference Champions who ever they might be, the wizards are missing too many pieces (Center especially)

MiamiHeat
09-10-2008, 08:15 PM
No Sir

PhxGiant
09-10-2008, 08:19 PM
I enjoy watching the Wizards play, but unfortunately they're in line for a first round exit. They need to get deeper, and they need to add more size down low.

RoyalG333
09-10-2008, 08:22 PM
Brand would have made a difference but I wouldn't say they are "a center away from a championship." That's just absurd. Camby, ok he might have helped, Dalembert? No. Okafor? No. Unless the Center was D Howard, Al Jefferson, Amare Staudemire, Tim Duncan, or...go ahead call me a homer, Andrew Bynum, I don't think a center alone solves their deficiency at depth and defense.

Indi23
09-10-2008, 08:29 PM
I enjoy watching the Wizards play, but unfortunately they're in line for a first round exit. They need to get deeper, and they need to add more size down low.

agreed..They need a Big Man

EAGLES3658
09-10-2008, 08:50 PM
arenas
butler
jamison
stevenson
E.brand*

...............???

we have nick young who coulds be a big playmaker if they played him more. i would start him over stevenson. and yes we really need a big man someone who can average 10 rebounds a game and like 2.5 blocks a guy like dalembert comes to mind i have always been a fan of him and the wiz could use a big man like him.

we dont need a big man that puts up 20 points a night tho

EAGLES3658
09-10-2008, 08:51 PM
but no we r not a championship team..............yet

Yogi
09-10-2008, 09:14 PM
We need Blatche, McGuire, Pecherov and Young to develop. If that happens within the next 2-3 years we'll be a good team I think.

IndyRealist
09-10-2008, 09:26 PM
arenas
butler
jamison
stevenson
E.brand*

...............???

Brand is 6'8". He's undersized for PF, let alone C. Jamison's 6'9" 235lb, he's undersized as well. Washington is at something like $67M in salary, adding Brand would put them at $81M, with the luxury tax adding an additional $10M. Financial suicide. Unless you're looking to root for the Seattle Wizards, I don't think it's a good idea.

Goon.Weezy
09-10-2008, 09:30 PM
hahah second best team behind boston........wht u smokinn.......toronto is second:whistle::up:...jkin but still wizards got no chance against detroit magic or the raps

Yogi
09-10-2008, 09:36 PM
hahah second best team behind boston........wht u smokinn.......toronto is second:whistle::up:...jkin but still wizards got no chance against detroit magic or the raps

We could beat the Magic and Raptors, don't know about Pistons or Celtics though.

IndyRealist
09-10-2008, 09:53 PM
We could beat the Magic and Raptors, don't know about Pistons or Celtics though.

Umm...weren't the Wizards 3-1 vs the Celtics last year? I think they'd have much more problems with Toronto's BIG front line now, rather than Boston or Detriot. And they have no one to stop Dwight Howard. It's about matchups, playing style, and player effort. It's not just, "My team's #3, so they can beat 4 and 5 but not 1 and 2".

LA412
09-10-2008, 10:11 PM
no......lebron single handedly beats them every year

bogdanrom
09-10-2008, 10:13 PM
I'm a Wiz fan and there is almost no way that were a Championship team. I think best case (more like fantasy case) we get the 2nd seed, and make to the ECF. But that's if everyone is healthy,especially Big 3, and all perform at their best.

SAVAGE CLAW
09-10-2008, 10:27 PM
The starting 5 is not that bad you have all the scoring you need from GIlbert , Caron and Jamison and Haywood and Stevenson are just Ok but care for defense.

I see their main fail in a lack of depth.

Daniels is way past his prime and the only interesting players from the bench are Young and Blatche.

The rest is under par to contender benchmen.

It also does not help that their main 3 guys do not play in their BEST position.

Arenas like it or not is a SG not a PG.

Butler is a SG too not a SF and Jamison would be better off in the SF position than in PF.

Still they are good, and i like the team.

Maybe one of the three should be traded for a true point or a true Pf, then contending would be a bunch of Vets min away.

Hellcrooner
09-11-2008, 02:44 AM
Haywood and Stevenson are under par starters, the bench sucks big balls and they are capped out.

Hey im no hater i used to like the Bullets back on Manute day but man ....

pippsux
09-11-2008, 10:10 AM
I hate to say it, but this team as presently constituted, including the coach have a year to do something. This core has been together for a couple of years, but their lack of team defence will always cost them. A team with Butler, Arenas and Jamison should win 50 games, especially in the east.

Last year in the playoffs, I never understood why the wiz never doubled LBJ. They should have doubled him every single time and let somebody else beat them. That goes to coaching. Also please put a muzzle on that loud mouth idiot, mr you can';t see me. His trash talking did not help and cost the wiz a good chance of doing something last year. Why would you rile up one of the best players in the game.

PhillySportFan
09-11-2008, 10:19 AM
Not a good enough defense.

Iodine
09-11-2008, 10:57 AM
any team that relies on haywood to be there best post defender everynight will not go far

pa the nigan 14
09-11-2008, 11:08 AM
They're soft, if they had a window it's barely cracked right now and closing quickly.

NYKnickFanatic
09-11-2008, 11:15 AM
How can you even have the Wizards, and Championship in the same sentence together?

Maybe if you say:

The Wizards will NOT be winning a Championship anytime soon.

^^ Then that would be ok.

This thread is a joke. --_--

:pity:

$ NyC $
09-11-2008, 11:15 AM
They just aren't deep enough and injuries has been killin' them.

Phili4life
09-11-2008, 11:27 AM
NOt even close!!

DaNtHeMaN628
09-11-2008, 11:35 AM
I'm not even sure they'll make the playoffs.

dannyking18
09-11-2008, 11:40 AM
lets imagine what if the wizards would have traded some future rd picks and some youngsters from the bench for marcus camby and then that on side the wizards would have signed bruce bown if he was an FA ???all me crazy but thats a championship team,nba is full of last minute suprises..."were PAU GASOL happens"...

camby
jamison
butler
bowen
arenas

haywood
blatche
stevenson
young

maybe not enof for a championship but definitly a finals appearance.

JordansBulls
09-11-2008, 11:40 AM
Even if the Wizards were able to trade Jamison straight up for Yao or Dirk I still don't think they would win with a trio of Arenas, Butler and Dirk or Arenas, Butler and Yao.

midwestmadman
09-11-2008, 12:05 PM
lets imagine what if the wizards would have traded some future rd picks and some youngsters from the bench for marcus camby and then that on side the wizards would have signed bruce bown if he was an FA ???all me crazy but thats a championship team,nba is full of last minute suprises...

You need to stop imagining things, Denver would not have traded Camby to Washington they had nothing to gain there. They moved him for next to nothing that would show up on a roster but Denver was in a financial situation and they couldn't afford the salary, they dumped it for the 10M trade exception, a trade exception that Washington didn;t have to give because after signing Jamison and Gilbert they are very far into thier luxary tax now also. It was the trade exception that Denver traded for, and they did it to cut the dollar to dollar luxary tax that the owners pay for being over the cap, if you were an NBA owner and you saw a way to keep 10M in your pocket wouldn't you do it, hell that a nice house in Malibu and a Bentley and maybe some change left for gas.