PDA

View Full Version : Why are people doubting the Clippers and not thinking that they....

HouRealCoach
09-09-2008, 09:22 PM
Will make the playoff....

They have great role players and Camby is a defensive blocking and Rebounding Machine....Kaman is a proven Center and might average around 20, 13 next year....Thornton is in for a Star Season....B-Diddy will do his thing but Why are they so underrated??

Kyben36
09-09-2008, 09:39 PM
1st, 20 and 13 is very very very high for ANY white player. 2nd, Camby does not help much. Thats why the Nugets just gave him away. Maybe he will be better with a good PG. IDN. But Kaman is good but now a 20 point player. maybe 15-17 and 10. He will have to share rebounds with Camby now.

krazyclipperfan
09-09-2008, 09:57 PM
it not going to hurt us. we will just suprise every like a couple of years ago. they will be a much better team this years.

Beno7500
09-09-2008, 09:59 PM
If anything, they are overrated

#1Mavericksfan
09-09-2008, 10:01 PM
"Camby is a defensive blocking and Rebounding Machine"

Ok...then were was he in the Lakers series?...because Pau Gasol couldn't be stopped in the series.

goku
09-09-2008, 10:02 PM
^^^true

Dol-Fan
09-09-2008, 10:03 PM
Why won't they make the playoffs you ask?

New Orleans
Los Angeles (no, the Lakers..)
San Antonio
Utah
Houston
Dallas
Phoenix
Portland
Denver

Good enough reason(s)?

krazyclipperfan
09-09-2008, 10:08 PM
^^that means nothing. you can put all the team in the west, if you want. that why the games are played as opposed to be based on fans opinion.

bogdanrom
09-09-2008, 10:16 PM
1st, 20 and 13 is very very very high for ANY white player. 2nd, Camby does not help much. Thats why the Nugets just gave him away. Maybe he will be better with a good PG. IDN. But Kaman is good but now a 20 point player. maybe 15-17 and 10. He will have to share rebounds with Camby now.

Dirk Nowitzki averaged like 25 PPG and 9 RPG. And while I think it's going to be hard for Kaman to get that, he did average 16 and 13 last year. He only needs 4 more points.

KG#1
09-09-2008, 10:18 PM
i think theyll take the 8th seed

ShaunRiching9
09-09-2008, 10:29 PM
they wont make the playoffs...the end

bogdanrom
09-09-2008, 10:38 PM
They could get the 8th seed.

hockeypro68
09-09-2008, 10:43 PM
To say they have no chance of making the playoffs is just foolish and ignorant. Baron Davis is one of the top point guards in the league. The Clippers have ALWAYS needed a floor general to run the point. They've ALWAYS lacked an allstar caliber point guard. On top of that, Thornton will now get the full time starting role and be able to develop into a much more vocal player and contributor. Eric Gordon, Steve Novak, Ricky Davis, ALL Lights Out 3pt shooters to spread the floor while Kaman and Camby patrol the paint, blocking and rebounding everything left and right. The 8th seed is going to be a tight, tight race between Portland, Denver, possibly Golden State, and probably the Clippers. Theres no reason to think they have no chance of making the playoffs, saying that is just uninformed and stupid.

superkegger
09-09-2008, 10:44 PM
I think a good amount of people think they will make the playoffs. I think most people think the 8th spot is between the Clippers, Nuggets, Blazers, and Warriors...its going to be close whoever does take that 8th spot though, whether its between those 4 or others...

Dol-Fan
09-09-2008, 10:45 PM
^^that means nothing. you can put all the team in the west, if you want. that why the games are played as opposed to be based on fans opinion.

It means nothing when all of those teams (9 of them, may I add) are better than the Clippers? :confused: As you said, that's why games are played and not based on fans' opinions (such as your own).

SAVAGE CLAW
09-09-2008, 10:52 PM
Some Reasons:

1 When was the last time Davis played 82 healthy games?

2 Eric Gordon is too much a shooter for the Pg position and too undersized to deffend Sgs, uh is he Ben gordons brother or something?

3 Jason Williams, He is a Ball hog and yes he makes top 10 plays of the week often with crazy passes, that come after 3 or 4 turnovers because of his crazy way to pass the ball.

4 Ricky Davis = Nut case.

5 Mobley, Thomas where done last season, what makes you think they will be better this year?.

6 Lost Brand as a good dominating scoring presence inside.

7 Lost Corey Maggette as their good solid outside scorer.

8 Is and Old Camby really fast enought to deffend people like West, Duncan, Garnett, Boozer etc etc at the 4? Anybody saw Pau Gasol ridiculing him in the Playoffs?.

9 Al Thorntorn, Lacks 2 point shooting for a three, lacks size for the 4th Spot.

10 Kaman, Well he is a good player and all, but can you rely on him to take the load of the scoring inside? can he put up 20 points a game night in night out? That even not taking into account he has fallen a lot of points in popularity after playing with Germany, fans wont be friendly to him and will put a lot of pressure on him every game outside the staples ( and even in the staples) how good did he do against Usa team?.

I wouldnt be surprised if they ended Last in the conference.

Im Sure Kings have a Better PRoject than them , and only have doubts about GS not overcoming them in the Division.

YOURPAPI420
09-10-2008, 12:14 AM
cuz they havent been seen playing together is the only reason their underrated point blank

JMan17
09-10-2008, 12:19 AM
clippers could make it, but it will be really tough. and why does it matter anyway? they will just get knocked out of the first round anyway?

illastrate
09-10-2008, 01:34 AM
People always doubt the Clips...and I wouldn't have it any other way.

arlubas
09-10-2008, 03:01 AM

New Orleans
San Antonio
Utah
Houston
Dallas
Phoenix
Portland
Denver

Good enough reason(s)?
Are you so sure the Clipps will have worse seasons than the two bolded teams? Cause Denver is looking like a mess coming through a bad offseason for them and Phoenix was seriously looking bad last year after the Shaq trade and this year Nash, Shaq and Hill are all one year older. Plus I think we can split the Portland games as well, I mean they have a good up and rising team but they're not a stud team yet.

arlubas
09-10-2008, 03:15 AM
Some Reasons:

2 Eric Gordon is too much a shooter for the Pg position and too undersized to deffend Sgs, uh is he Ben gordons brother or something?

3 Jason Williams, He is a Ball hog and yes he makes top 10 plays of the week often with crazy passes, that come after 3 or 4 turnovers because of his crazy way to pass the ball.

5 Mobley, Thomas where done last season, what makes you think they will be better this year?.

8 Is and Old Camby really fast enought to deffend people like West, Duncan, Garnett, Boozer etc etc at the 4? Anybody saw Pau Gasol ridiculing him in the Playoffs?.

9 Al Thorntorn, Lacks 2 point shooting for a three, lacks size for the 4th Spot.

10 Kaman, Well he is a good player and all, but can you rely on him to take the load of the scoring inside? can he put up 20 points a game night in night out? That even not taking into account he has fallen a lot of points in popularity after playing with Germany, fans wont be friendly to him and will put a lot of pressure on him every game outside the staples ( and even in the staples) how good did he do against Usa team?.

Im Sure Kings have a Better PRoject than them , and only have doubts about GS not overcoming them in the Division.
1. We don't need 82 games from him, he can rest on the supposedly easy games if he wants to. If we get 70-75 games from him we should be happy and get what we want out of him.

2. Gordon is too much of a shooter cause he has the range plus he is a scorer period. Defending won't be a problem since he's playing with Diddy beside him. Diddy defended the bigger SGs anyway in Golden State with Monta in the lineup and they did nicely as a backcourt together.

3. I think you're stuck on the J-Will of the Kings and Grizzlies...

4. True that but if he gets too crazy I have a feeling Dunleavy will have him removed from the team. Plus we're talking about a guy that made Bonzi Wells play like a normal NBA player in a season. Twice.

5. Done?

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/cuttino_mobley/
http://www.nba.com/playerfile/tim_thomas/

Check again.

6. Got Camby in return who should fill the are around the basket defensively plus Kaman can fill the scoring void as was the case when Brand lost almost the entire season and Kaman had a career year.

7. Al Thornton is gonna replace Corey just fine plus we have Diddy, Gordon, Mobley, Davis, Thomas and J-Will to score from outside.

8. I guess we'll have to see about that but Camby was a defensive player of the year in the pretty recent past so yeah, I'd be willing to take my chances on him.

9. Al Thornton is gonna be a SF that won't have three point shooting. He certainly isn't the first in history nor did that prevent him from having a very nice year for a rookie. If you'd watched any game of his after the All Star break (when he started receiving consistent PT) you would've known that by now.

10. See answer #6. And what on earth does him playing with Germany have to do with anything? The Clipps fans love the guy and are expecting a breakout season from him.

Any more reasons why the Clipps won't make the playoffs for sure?

Leftcoast_yg
09-10-2008, 04:05 AM
It means nothing when all of those teams (9 of them, may I add) are better than the Clippers? :confused: As you said, that's why games are played and not based on fans' opinions (such as your own).

denver oh yeah they have the same team but without their DOP, when they bearly made it to the playoffs last year:eyebrow:

LakerzDQ
09-10-2008, 04:09 AM
they have a chance to make the playoffs.

taking that they have no significant injuries, Kaman/Camby works out well in the paint, Davis does good in their system, Al Thornton becomes better, Eric Gordon turns out to be a stud, and Ricky Davis does good, they can be a play-off caliber team.

Lakersfan2483
09-10-2008, 04:24 AM
The West is extremely talented this year. I think several teams are better. The following list of teams are better:

Rockets
Lakers
Suns
Spurs
Jazz
Hornets
Mavs
Blazers
Nuggets

DenButsu
09-10-2008, 05:25 AM
Denver is looking like a mess coming through a bad offseason for them

I disagree - I think too many people are (http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=269010) jumping to that conclusion based on how things appear on the surface, and without really digging into what's really going on.

As for the Clippers, they might be a little better than last season, but I don't think significantly so.

Why?

I think Camby won't mesh well AT ALL with Kaman, especially on the defensive end. Their strengths and weaknesses overlap far too much, for one thing. They'll be going for all the same blocks and rebounds. And Clippers fans (unfortunately for them) are about to discover just how territorial Camby is with his rebounding. Don't be surprised when he boxes out Kaman (the players he's most effective at blocking out are his own teammates) and battles Thornton to pull down boards. You might think I'm exaggerating. I'm not. The Clips are basically going to end up with weak side defenders at the 4 and 5, and the likes of Duncan, Gasol, Bynum, Chandler, West, etc. are just going to have an absolute field day, while Clippers fans are sitting there wondering why their big duo is getting so many rebounds and getting scored on like mad at the same time.

I don't know. I guess we'll see how they shape out. But just on a gut instinct level, something seems really off to me about the dynamics and chemistry of that roster. Dunleavy's at his best when he's coaching a defensively-oriented team, but then they seem to be assembling a cast of characters that's much more inclined towards a run-and-gun, loose style of play. Baron, J-Will, even Camby. It's that discord, and basically just the main premise that going from Brand-Mobley to Baron-Camby is a step back and not a step forward, that leaves me feeling like they'll struggle again this season.

If I could get an "all-bets-are-off-in-case-of-injury" escape clause, I'd wager big bucks that the Nuggets will and the Clippers will not make the playoffs. But since bets don't work that way, I'll keep my money in my wallet. :cool: But if we get 70+ games from a relatively healthy and well-conditioned Nene, I'd bank on it.

hockeypro68
09-10-2008, 05:29 AM
1. We don't need 82 games from him, he can rest on the supposedly easy games if he wants to. If we get 70-75 games from him we should be happy and get what we want out of him.

2. Gordon is too much of a shooter cause he has the range plus he is a scorer period. Defending won't be a problem since he's playing with Diddy beside him. Diddy defended the bigger SGs anyway in Golden State with Monta in the lineup and they did nicely as a backcourt together.

3. I think you're stuck on the J-Will of the Kings and Grizzlies...

4. True that but if he gets too crazy I have a feeling Dunleavy will have him removed from the team. Plus we're talking about a guy that made Bonzi Wells play like a normal NBA player in a season. Twice.

5. Done?

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/cuttino_mobley/
http://www.nba.com/playerfile/tim_thomas/

Check again.

6. Got Camby in return who should fill the are around the basket defensively plus Kaman can fill the scoring void as was the case when Brand lost almost the entire season and Kaman had a career year.

7. Al Thornton is gonna replace Corey just fine plus we have Diddy, Gordon, Mobley, Davis, Thomas and J-Will to score from outside.

8. I guess we'll have to see about that but Camby was a defensive player of the year in the pretty recent past so yeah, I'd be willing to take my chances on him.

9. Al Thornton is gonna be a SF that won't have three point shooting. He certainly isn't the first in history nor did that prevent him from having a very nice year for a rookie. If you'd watched any game of his after the All Star break (when he started receiving consistent PT) you would've known that by now.

10. See answer #6. And what on earth does him playing with Germany have to do with anything? The Clipps fans love the guy and are expecting a breakout season from him.

Any more reasons why the Clipps won't make the playoffs for sure?

Amen!

Chronz
09-10-2008, 05:40 AM
Because even with Brand and Baron they werent a lock for the playoffs. A few things have to happen for the Clippers to make the playoffs but most importantly is the performance of Ricky Davis. He had a horrible year in Miami but one that was so bad it leaves you thinking he could bounce back. If he does he will still be a below average option in the SG rotation but its a step up from last year when the Clips had a negative PER differential rating at the 1, 2, and 4 spots. The 3 was manned by Maggs but hes gone, so you expect that to drop, regardless of how well Thornton improves he will not match Maggs output. The 1 and 4 are obviously being manned by our big acquisitions that leaves only the 2 spot. Mobley is on the decline, and Eric Gordon is unproven so that means the burden of increased expectations falls on Ricky, most Clipper fans think they dont need Ricky to be our savior the way Miami was hoping, but the sad truth is that it might come to it. The SG has been a sore spot for years.

Chronz
09-10-2008, 05:48 AM
Kaman doesnt mind sharing the spotlight in the middle so I dont think there will be any cause for concern chemistry wise. Im sure Dunleavy will have defined roles for both of them, it is very possible for 2 bigmen to share the shot blocking roles so long as they are agile enough. It all comes down to Camby's ability to defend smaller players.

HouRealCoach
09-10-2008, 08:06 AM
They have inside scoring, a great PG, Up and Coming Star Al THornton, Marcus Camby, Role Players....Sounds good to me

THeyre WAYYYYYYYYYYYY Better than Nuggets

$ NyC $
09-10-2008, 08:27 AM
i think they got a chance...i would like 2 see people drive on 2 players combined who average (Camby: 9.1 ppg 13.3 rpg 3.3 aspg 1.1 stpg 3.6 bpg)(Kaman: 15.7 ppg 12.7 rpg 1.9 aspg .6 spg 2.8 bpg)

Combined

24.8 ppg 26 rpg 5.2 aspg 1.7 spg 6.4 bpg

those are amazing numbers...given they both play around the same level

They also have a great scorer in Thornton and one of the best point guards in BD

DenButsu
09-10-2008, 09:53 AM
Combined

24.8 ppg 26 rpg 5.2 aspg 1.7 spg 6.4 bpg

those are amazing numbers...given they both play around the same level

See, I just can't believe that people actually are buying into the concept that both those guys are going to be able to achieve the same kind of statistical production when they're playing side by side. It's one of the major underpinnings of the assumption that the Clippers will be better next season, and if you ask me, it's totally bogus. Simply put, there just isn't that much ball to go around. Granted, there will be stretches where one's on the bench and one's on the court. Even so, it sure appears that Dunleavy intends to start both of them, and that means there will be long stretches where they play side by side. It will simply be impossible for both of them to get get boards and blocks at the same rate per possession. No way.

BowDown32
09-10-2008, 11:57 AM

Camby is gonna help A LOT. This frees Kaman up to be more offensive minded. They have a good 5 with BDiddy, Thornton, Kaman, Camby, and Mobley... some good talent with new draft pick Eric Gordon, got Ricky Davis for a spark off the bench.

Now Im not saying they are gonna make the playoffs cuz the West has some very solid squads but if you don't come to play everynight against this team and think 'Oh we are playing the Clippers tonight, easy win' you may get blown out of the stadium.

DenButsu
09-10-2008, 12:16 PM
Camby is gonna help A LOT. This frees Kaman up to be more offensive minded.

How does that work, exactly?

Jezeble
09-10-2008, 12:33 PM
[QUOTE=SAVAGE CLAW;6583064]Some Reasons:

LAST SEASON!! Do your homework before you post misinformation!:rolleyes:

arlubas
09-10-2008, 04:41 PM
See, I just can't believe that people actually are buying into the concept that both those guys are going to be able to achieve the same kind of statistical production when they're playing side by side. It's one of the major underpinnings of the assumption that the Clippers will be better next season, and if you ask me, it's totally bogus. Simply put, there just isn't that much ball to go around. Granted, there will be stretches where one's on the bench and one's on the court. Even so, it sure appears that Dunleavy intends to start both of them, and that means there will be long stretches where they play side by side. It will simply be impossible for both of them to get get boards and blocks at the same rate per possession. No way.

See here's the deal: I don't care about their individual stats and who will average more rebounds or blocks. All I care about is they combine well on the floor and help us win. Of course Camby ain't gonna average the same numbers as he did in Denver where he was the main rebounder/shot blocker but that doesn't mean he won't be able to work well together with Kaman.

soriano2008WS
09-10-2008, 05:06 PM
Clippers get in IMO

soriano2008WS
09-10-2008, 05:07 PM

Played a nice 39 mins per as well seems pretty healthy

hockeypro68
09-10-2008, 05:59 PM

I agree with you in the obvious sense that Camby-Kaman are not going to average 25, 25, and 6 between the both of them, but there is absolutely no reason to think they can't play well together and make it work out Very nicely. I can see them both still averaging 10+ rebounds and 2 or so blocks per game. Offensively, Camby probably won't average more than last season's 9ppg, but Kaman certainly has the potential to flirt with 15-20ppg next season. And lets put offense aside for a second, because defensively, i cannot see how ANYONE who is a follower of the NBA and knows anything about basketball would say that they won't work out defensively. The Clippers' frontcourt is going to be an absolute NIGHTMARE for any team. There is literally no team in the NBA who's going to create a mismatch downlow for us.

Kaman and Camby aside, lets not forget how many LIGHTS OUT 3pt shooters the Clippers have now. Ricky Davis(135 3ptm at 40.5% ), Cuttino Mobley(38% career 3fg%), Eric Gordon made More than two 3pointers per game last year in Indiana, Baron Davis also made More than 2 a game last season as well, and Tim Thomas more than 1 a game last season, and oh yeah, Steve Novak. I was THRILLED with this signing. He's young, he's 6'10'', and he can shoot the freaking lights out from downtown. Sure he only took 71 3pt attempts last season, playing in very limited time, but to say making 48% of those is not impressive...that's just ridiculous.

So now what are we looking at so far? 2 dominant inside defensive presences, and even offensely, I can see them combining for 25-30ppg if all goes well. Then we have all the shooters I've mentioned, spreading the floor while, hmmm, who should be slashing and driving and scoring in bunches? Oh, yeah, AL THORNTON. My prediction for next season's Most Improved Player, I see Thornton averaging at Least 15-18 points next season, and cracking 20ppg wouldn't even blow my mind.

An amazing front court duo, 3pt threats all over the place, an allstar caliber pointguard in Baron Davis, young talent, veterans, I mean what more do you want in a team? I think its just absolutely foolish not to include the Clippers in playoff talks.

krazyclipperfan
09-10-2008, 07:31 PM

that why last year was just that last year. if you say that it not possible for them to at least make the playoff you are sadly wrong.

Dol-Fan
09-10-2008, 07:42 PM
that why last year was just that last year. if you say that it not possible for them to at least make the playoff you are sadly wrong.

when did I say it wasn't possible? It is possible, but unlikely, IMO there are 9 teams in the West better.

To the person who said Phoenix and Denver may not be as good as LA.

Phoenix still has STAT, Nash, Bell, Barbosa and Shaq. They started out bad but started to get better as they gelled. They should still be good, a vet team. Denver still has AI and Melo, with K-Mart, JR, and Nene. They will be in a playoff fight but could very likely make it.

_Sn1P3r_
09-10-2008, 07:42 PM
I know they will most likely improve from last season but with the West so tough, I see them fighting for 7th or 8th.

krazyclipperfan
09-10-2008, 08:00 PM
when did I say it wasn't possible? It is possible, but unlikely, IMO there are 9 teams in the West better.

To the person who said Phoenix and Denver may not be as good as LA.

Phoenix still has STAT, Nash, Bell, Barbosa and Shaq. They started out bad but started to get better as they gelled. They should still be good, a vet team. Denver still has AI and Melo, with K-Mart, JR, and Nene. They will be in a playoff fight but could very likely make it.

New Orleans
San Antonio
Utah
Houston
Dallas
Phoenix
Portland
Denver

Good enough reason(s)?

isnt that what you said they wont make the playoffs.

DenButsu
09-10-2008, 10:02 PM
I agree with you in the obvious sense that Camby-Kaman are not going to average 25, 25, and 6 between the both of them, but there is absolutely no reason to think they can't play well together and make it work out Very nicely. I can see them both still averaging 10+ rebounds and 2 or so blocks per game. Offensively, Camby probably won't average more than last season's 9ppg, but Kaman certainly has the potential to flirt with 15-20ppg next season. And lets put offense aside for a second, because defensively, i cannot see how ANYONE who is a follower of the NBA and knows anything about basketball would say that they won't work out defensively. The Clippers' frontcourt is going to be an absolute NIGHTMARE for any team. There is literally no team in the NBA who's going to create a mismatch downlow for us.

I beg to differ. How about:

Orlando, San Antonio, Los Angeles, hell Denver assuming Nene's healthy, Phoenix, Philly, Toronto, Houston, New Orleans...

Basically any team with more than one inside scoring threat, or one elite scoring threat.

When Denver played Orlando, who took the Dwight assignment? Who took TD when we played the Spurs? Who ALWAYS got the tough big man assignment when we faced up against any team?

Kenyon Martin. 6'9" K-Mart. And he did a commendable job, actually, while Camby was generally kind of drifting around the paint, failing to properly rotate, and just waiting opportunistically (as always) for the chance at a late shot-altering or shot-blocking swat.

Can Kaman handle Dwight? Can Kaman handle Duncan? And how does Kaman/Camby stop Amare/Shaq when Camby won't play one-on-one? Or Brand/Dalembert? Or Bosh/O'Neal? Or Chandler/West? Or Ming/Scola?

Etc.

I think a lot of people are reading too much into Camby's defensive reputation due to his DPOY and All-Defense accolades without really recognizing his true defensive strengths and weaknesses.

I don't think they'll combine for 25/25/6.5 - but they'll get their share of rebounds and blocks. The Clippers might just lead the league in both those categories.

But I don't think they'll be top 10 in fewest ppg allowed. I don't think they'll allow any fewer than, say, 98 - just 3 less than last season.

SAVAGE CLAW
09-10-2008, 10:15 PM
Camby got torched By Gasol in the Playoffs so may i say his D is a bit overated? mmm not exactly is just he is AGING.

Any way i never said the couldnt get into the playoffs.

Any and i mean ANY team in the nba can pull a surprise if all cylinders click all of their players have Awesome year and chemistry is high , yes even Memphis or Okc have a chance to do the playoffs if everybody overperforms, examples the jazz of some years ago, and the sonics a couple years back too.

Clippers can make the playoffs, but if you analize with logic and not with heart youll see the odds to make the playoffs are less than those to make the Playeggs.

PhxGiant
09-10-2008, 10:22 PM
I'm just going to go out on a limb here and say that the Clippers take the 8th seed and Denver misses the playoffs. Assuming that this group of guys mesh well together, because they really are a COMPLETELY different team now.

blackjack_119
09-11-2008, 12:21 AM
*It's a long post, but "Problem #5 is the main point" all the others just prove why "Problem 5" is legit.

The Clippers roster looks good when evaluating each individual player, but they are going to be terrible as a team... horrible. This team is designed similar to the New York Knicks.

Problem #1: Two big men who are only effective offensively on the low block: Any team playing the Clippers can immediately have two defenders on the low block because even if Camby or Kaman step away from the block, they can't hit a midrange shot. If the defense can camp in the post all day, it neutralizes the effectiveness of any player who gets their points by driving in the lane. If a player scores by consistently getting to the basket but this season, their are four players (two from your own team) always standing around the basket, it makes it very hard to finish at the rim. (This is what I like to call the Eddy Curry effect... it killed Stephon Marbury's career)

Problem #2: The Clippers are a terrible fit for Baron Davis: This slightly ties into Problem #1. Baron Davis has always played on teams that spread the floor. With the Hornets, PJ Brown and Jamaal Magloire did not camp on the low block. Mashburn was 40% 3P% a couple times. In GS, the 3 guard and 4 guard lineups fit into Davis' strengths. When the post is clogged, Davis' ability to post up PG's is irrelevant. Defenders can play him tight on the perimeter because they know he can't finish at the rim because two other defenders are already there. This will make Davis, a mediocre jump shooter, even worse.

Problem #3: Al Thornton will be stifled: Al Thornton has a very good mid-range game. Unfortunately, the terrible spacing on the floor will make it difficult for him to utilize it. Since Thornton is a sub-par 3pt shooter, his defender won't overcommit around the perimeter which would open up space on the floor for him to create shots for himself. Furthermore, since the post is clogged, Thornton's defender will rarely leave him as a help defender unless it is to double team Kaman on the low block. Double teaming Kaman will happen less frequently this year because it will be difficult to feed the post on this team. (Explained under #5)

These factors create a situation in which Thornton is required to create shots for himself in a defined area of the floor against defenders who (within their team's defensive scheme) are comfortable (and even required) to only play tight defense against him where he is most effective shooting the ball (if you don't understand that incoherent sentence... that is very bad for Thornton)

Problem #4: All of the Clippers perimeter shooting is consolidated at one position: Mobley, Davis and Gordon are all good three point shooters. The only problem is that they are all shooting guards. This means that in order to play effective defense against the Clippers, the opposing team needs only one good perimeter defender. (Bryant, Posey, Artest/Battier, Bowen, Diaw, Kirilenko, Roy... yup almost all of the good teams in the West have one)

Problem #5: This is a conclusion of #1-4 combined. The LA Clippers are the easiest team in the league to plan an effective defense against: Every team in the league can run a 1-2-2 Zone defense against the Clippers and there is nothing they can do to beat it. If Baron Davis is on one of his ridiculous hot streaks, the defense will temporarily switch to a 3-2 defense and trap him on the perimeter (and the Clippers don't have the jump shooters to beat the 3-2 zone + trap.)

The only way the Clips can beat the zone is to play Baron Davis, Cat Mobley and Ricky Davis all at the same time. If only the Clips still had Sam Cassell then there would be three guys on the floor that never pass (easy lineup to play man defense against)

Since they are stuck fighting a 1-2-2 Zone defense, it will be very tough to feed the post which will hurt Kaman's effectiveness.

Sorry Clippers fans... If the NBA were a fantasy league, you would have a solid roster. Unfortunately, as someone previously noted, "We actually play the games," and that is where your team will struggle greatly... If I were you, I would trade Camby for a mediocre PF with a solid midrange shot. It may look like a bad trade, but your team would be MUCH better off than it is right now. Teams would actually have to change their defense every once in a while.

kntresistheheat
09-11-2008, 12:38 AM
They might take the 8th seed, but it would be a 10 team race for the 8th thats how good the west it would be tough!!!

lavis
09-11-2008, 12:42 AM
Everyone knows Clippers history. I think it's mostly that.

I think they'll make the playoffs.

warrior007
09-11-2008, 12:52 AM
They wont make it because: They are the CLIPPERS!

Tmac,lt,berkman
09-11-2008, 12:54 AM
I made that point a million time. mark my words they will take the seventh seed. and if anybody is overrated it is the PORTLAND TRAILBLAZERS.
1.LA Lakers
2.Houston Rockets
3.NO Hornets
4.San Antonio Spurs
5.Utah Jazz
6.Pheonix Suns
7.LA Clippers
8.Dallas Mavericks

ridere46
09-11-2008, 12:57 AM
SAVAGE CLAW;6583064]Some Reasons:

1 When was the last time Davis played 82 healthy games?[/B]

Are you serious? Really?!!! I think he played in everygame last season; correct me if I'm wrong. The guy is as healthy as he's ever been. He got winded at the end of the season but expect more of the same this season.

I think the Clips have a shot. It's a long shot because they have to beat out Portland, Denver and maybe GS which IMO have more talent overall; esp. Portland.

POZUNO
09-11-2008, 01:02 AM
They wont make it because: They are the CLIPPERS!

Is that all you can say??? Your reasons are pathetic man. Go buy yourself a kids book from Scholastic you dimwit! And maybe you'll learn something new.

Hellcrooner
09-11-2008, 02:46 AM
Clippers are Cursed.

Its a Pity i sympatize with them you know? i Like L.A and that includes them, but man they seem to constantly be out of luck.

kylem4711
09-11-2008, 03:18 AM
they wont make the playoffs...the end

good comment.... :thumbs down:

kylem4711
09-11-2008, 03:21 AM
Some Reasons:

ha you dont know much and im not sure this makes any sense.

"Al Thorntorn, Lacks 2 point shooting for a three, lacks size for the 4th Spot."

al wont play 4. camby will

kylem4711
09-11-2008, 03:21 AM

ha

illastrate
09-11-2008, 03:35 AM
Very good points. Let me see if I can tackle each "problem":

*It's a long post, but "Problem #5 is the main point" all the others just prove why "Problem 5" is legit.

The Clippers roster looks good when evaluating each individual player, but they are going to be terrible as a team... horrible. This team is designed similar to the New York Knicks.

I'm not gonna even touch this one

Problem #1: Two big men who are only effective offensively on the low block: Any team playing the Clippers can immediately have two defenders on the low block because even if Camby or Kaman step away from the block, they can't hit a midrange shot. If the defense can camp in the post all day, it neutralizes the effectiveness of any player who gets their points by driving in the lane. If a player scores by consistently getting to the basket but this season, their are four players (two from your own team) always standing around the basket, it makes it very hard to finish at the rim. (This is what I like to call the Eddy Curry effect... it killed Stephon Marbury's career)

Kaman is a low block player, but not so much with Camby. Seeing Kaman last year showed me he has a better midrange shot than one would think. Camby loves the midrange J, but is not as successful at it. For those who seem to say you can't play two Centers in the lineup, remember that Camby started his career as a PF and was eventually forced to move to C by default. Kaman is a more versatile player than Curry in every sense, thus voiding the Marbury comparison.

Problem #2: The Clippers are a terrible fit for Baron Davis: This slightly ties into Problem #1. Baron Davis has always played on teams that spread the floor. With the Hornets, PJ Brown and Jamaal Magloire did not camp on the low block. Mashburn was 40% 3P% a couple times. In GS, the 3 guard and 4 guard lineups fit into Davis' strengths. When the post is clogged, Davis' ability to post up PG's is irrelevant. Defenders can play him tight on the perimeter because they know he can't finish at the rim because two other defenders are already there. This will make Davis, a mediocre jump shooter, even worse.

Clips are a much more athletic squad than last year. Camby is adept at running the floor a la Tyson Chandler and will allow for BDavis to throw quite a few lobs for easy buckets. The "3 and 4 guard lineups" could apply in LA as well, with Thornton, Gordon, Mobley, and Ricky D on the wings. J-Will could also step in, allowing Baron to move to the 2 giving the Clips a little more flexibility.

Problem #3: Al Thornton will be stifled: Al Thornton has a very good mid-range game. Unfortunately, the terrible spacing on the floor will make it difficult for him to utilize it. Since Thornton is a sub-par 3pt shooter, his defender won't overcommit around the perimeter which would open up space on the floor for him to create shots for himself. Furthermore, since the post is clogged, Thornton's defender will rarely leave him as a help defender unless it is to double team Kaman on the low block. Double teaming Kaman will happen less frequently this year because it will be difficult to feed the post on this team. (Explained under #5)

These factors create a situation in which Thornton is required to create shots for himself in a defined area of the floor against defenders who (within their team's defensive scheme) are comfortable (and even required) to only play tight defense against him where he is most effective shooting the ball (if you don't understand that incoherent sentence... that is very bad for Thornton)

Thornton is a more than capable 3pt shooter, he had to take(and miss) many shots last season because of the team's lack of, well, everything on the offensive end. Look for an improved and more controlled Thornton this season as he picks and choose his spots. His ability to penetrate, post up, array of moves, hit the midrange, and long distance will not leave him "stifled".

Problem #4: All of the Clippers perimeter shooting is consolidated at one position: Mobley, Davis and Gordon are all good three point shooters. The only problem is that they are all shooting guards. This means that in order to play effective defense against the Clippers, the opposing team needs only one good perimeter defender. (Bryant, Posey, Artest/Battier, Bowen, Diaw, Kirilenko, Roy... yup almost all of the good teams in the West have one)

Ricky D. will be slated as Thornton's backup at SF (yes, Ricky is listed as an SF). Mobley can as well. And should Steve Novak get some burn, he will definitely stretch the defense (he's one of the finest pure shooters in the L, don't believe me, visit the Rockets' forum).

Problem #5: This is a conclusion of #1-4 combined. The LA Clippers are the easiest team in the league to plan an effective defense against: Every team in the league can run a 1-2-2 Zone defense against the Clippers and there is nothing they can do to beat it. If Baron Davis is on one of his ridiculous hot streaks, the defense will temporarily switch to a 3-2 defense and trap him on the perimeter (and the Clippers don't have the jump shooters to beat the 3-2 zone + trap.)

The only way the Clips can beat the zone is to play Baron Davis, Cat Mobley and Ricky Davis all at the same time. If only the Clips still had Sam Cassell then there would be three guys on the floor that never pass (easy lineup to play man defense against)

Since they are stuck fighting a 1-2-2 Zone defense, it will be very tough to feed the post which will hurt Kaman's effectiveness.

The easiest team in the league to plan an effective defense against? Either you're having a good time playing devil's advocate or you really believe what you're stating is a matter of fact, completely disregarding the 29 other teams. You have reiterated that the Clips don't have enough shooters to beat zone defenses time and time again. But I think Gordon, Mobley, BDavis, Ricky D, J-Will, Novak, T. Thomas will prove otherwise.

Sorry Clippers fans... If the NBA were a fantasy league, you would have a solid roster. Unfortunately, as someone previously noted, "We actually play the games," and that is where your team will struggle greatly... If I were you, I would trade Camby for a mediocre PF with a solid midrange shot. It may look like a bad trade, but your team would be MUCH better off than it is right now. Teams would actually have to change their defense every once in a while.

Obviously, a lot remains to be seen. Chemistry will be a deciding factor. The Clips could very well self-destruct because they are a good team "on paper". At the same time, they could flourish if they harness all that talent. It's nothing more than speculation at this point and we will have to wait and see. That's why we play the game. As for trading Camby, name one PF right now that they can realistically trade for (taking salary and years into account)? Actually, I'd also like to know what you would've thought of the Clips had they re-signed Elton Brand.

BTW, I think the Blazers will do very well and should secure a 7-8 seed. That's if, like always, everything goes right.

illastrate
09-11-2008, 03:46 AM
Some Reasons:

Here we go, add one more to the "I like to overrate Corey 'cause I read his boxscores every morning and therefore he must be an all-star" contingent.

Thornton, in one season, has already proven he can do things that Corey was never able to (clutch shots, create off the dribble, actually convert and one's, better midrange shot). Seriously, man. :eyebrow:

MiamiHeatWade33
09-11-2008, 04:47 AM
its just that they have been one of the worst teams for along time and many people are use to it and just because they got baron davis it still means nothing...

krazyclipperfan
09-11-2008, 02:28 PM
its just that they have been one of the worst teams for along time and many people are use to it and just because they got baron davis it still means nothing...

alot of team started off with a history of losing, but they got better. the Clippers have been getting better for years, injuries just killed us last year. the Clippers getting Davis means alot we get a floor general and game changer that we need badly.

$ NyC $
09-11-2008, 02:39 PM

wow, people are actually using our suckiness from last year 2 make up effects lollll. WE WILL BE BETTER

zachattach
09-11-2008, 03:27 PM
the nuggets are not better then the clippers.. i think the clippers have a chance to grab the 8th seed

SAVAGE CLAW
09-11-2008, 10:29 PM
he, people seem to not understand rethorical questions.

DenButsu
09-12-2008, 12:39 AM
wow, people are actually using our suckiness from last year 2 make up effects lollll. WE WILL BE BETTER

They might be better, but not by nearly as much as Clippers fans are expecting. When you're 12th in your conference, there's still plenty of room for improvement without making the playoffs. And that's right about where they're headed.

the nuggets are not better then the clippers.

Both the Clippers and the Nuggets have had rotten luck with injuries (and you just took one of our notorious cases off our hands). So a lot of people would say it goes against history to assume that either team will be injury free. But if both teams do, the Nuggets should unquestionably be the superior team.