PDA

View Full Version : Dickie V's Preseason Top 40

IndiansFan337
09-09-2008, 11:41 AM
1. North Carolina. With Tyler Hansbrough, Ty Lawson, Wayne Ellington and Danny Green all returning, the Tar Heels are the clear-cut preseason numero uno.

2. Louisville. Rick Pitino's squad is a legitimate Final Four contender. The addition of Samardo Samuels up front is a big plus.

3. Connecticut. Hasheem Thabeet will be a major force up front for Hall of Famer Jim Calhoun. Look for big things from A.J. Price in the backcourt.

4. UCLA. Coach Ben Howland is happy to have Darren Collison returning to the backcourt. The Bruins have one of the premier recruiting classes coming in.

5. Texas. A.J. Abrams and Damion James provide a solid 1-2 punch for the Longhorns. D.J. Augustin is gone, but this will still be a very dangerous team under Rick Barnes.

ESPN.com link (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/dickvitale/news/story?id=3544438&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab6pos2)

Sabres39
09-09-2008, 01:29 PM
Duke should be higher than 9th. I personally think we are a better team than both ND and Michigan St.

SidTheKid
09-09-2008, 04:49 PM
Duke should be higher than 9th. I personally think we are a better team than both ND and Michigan St.

I agree, they have so many players returning from last year.

JHG722
09-10-2008, 01:11 AM
LOL @ no Temple in the top 40. Also, Xavier @ 40 is a joke. They're better than 15 teams on there...

cambovenzi
09-10-2008, 04:37 PM
LOL @ no Temple in the top 40. Also, Xavier @ 40 is a joke. They're better than 15 teams on there...

temple?
really?
they lost their 2nd leading scorer,
A-10 isnt exactly a power conference either.
only 10-8 outside the conference.
only beat 1 ranked team, and it was Xavier.

J4KOP99
09-10-2008, 09:17 PM

When the real rankings come out I am sure Duke will be around 5 or 6 but Dicky V has tried to not pick Duke as much recently...I think he realized that people were getting mad at him for picking Duke to win every single game.

JHG722
09-10-2008, 09:56 PM
temple?
really?
they lost their 2nd leading scorer,
A-10 isnt exactly a power conference either.
only 10-8 outside the conference.
only beat 1 ranked team, and it was Xavier.

We barely lost to Duke and should've beaten Nova. Yeah, we lost Mark, and Chris, but we have a good, young team, which will improve tremendously once Pepe Sanchez II arrives. I didn't say we're a top 10 team, but I think we definitely belong in the top 40. And as I said before, Xavier gets no respect.

dirk206
09-11-2008, 12:41 AM
I'm happy my ZAGS are ranked #8, they have the most stacked team they've had in the last 5 years, the bench is deep, I think they could surprise a lot of people but the one thing that everybody can hold against them is that every year they lose a few games they are supposed to win. Plus, their is no crunch time player per say on this team, at least not yet. The WCC is getting stronger with teams like San Diego & St. Mary's. Look out for Jeremy Pargo, Matt Bouldin and Austin Daye.

cambovenzi
09-11-2008, 02:13 AM
We barely lost to Duke and should've beaten Nova. Yeah, we lost Mark, and Chris, but we have a good, young team, which will improve tremendously once Pepe Sanchez II arrives. I didn't say we're a top 10 team, but I think we definitely belong in the top 40. And as I said before, Xavier gets no respect.

well, its hard to say exactly who is where this early.
so ill give the benefit of the doubt that they are somewhere around top 40.

xavier? ehh..
i think they get plenty of credit.
they were ranked like #12 or #8 or something.
who exactly did they beat?
indiana @home, who werent very good. and purdue and WV.(not too bad)
and they got beat by some pretty weak teams.
(miami of ohio[17-16, 9-7 in the MAC:puke:], arizona state,[9-9 in pac-10], temple, and st joes twice.

and they lose 2 of their top 3 scorers, and 3 of the top 6 i believe.
i dont think you can rank them much higher than some good power conference teams.
but actaully lookig at where they wer ranked last year(borderline top 10), 40 is a big drop.
so i guess we'll see.

mkool65
09-11-2008, 09:44 AM
No way a Duke fan complaining about not being ranked high enough... :D I very biasedly agree with the top 10 atleast. A lot of talk I hvae heard has had my Spartans down as a rebuilding year because we lost the most one-dimensional player in the NCAA. We are an elite 8/Final 4 team no problem.

BurnsinPhilly
09-11-2008, 10:35 AM
Syracuse at 26 come on they will shock people this year.

JHG722
09-11-2008, 11:55 AM
well, its hard to say exactly who is where this early.
so ill give the benefit of the doubt that they are somewhere around top 40.

xavier? ehh..
i think they get plenty of credit.
they were ranked like #12 or #8 or something.
who exactly did they beat?
indiana @home, who werent very good. and purdue and WV.(not too bad)
and they got beat by some pretty weak teams.
(miami of ohio[17-16, 9-7 in the MAC:puke:], arizona state,[9-9 in pac-10], temple, and st joes twice.

and they lose 2 of their top 3 scorers, and 3 of the top 6 i believe.
i dont think you can rank them much higher than some good power conference teams.
but actaully lookig at where they wer ranked last year(borderline top 10), 40 is a big drop.
so i guess we'll see.

I'm not saying Xavier should be top 10, but they're better than a lot of teams above them. Also, St. Joe's was much better than their conference record or whatever you want to use. Also, everyone but top top teams lose to bad teams. It happens in basketball. What would you have said if we did beat Duke? Also, Xavier beat Dayton. Also, dont say us and St. Joe's are weak. Miami Ohio and ASU I'll give you.

Padres Son
09-11-2008, 03:56 PM
Go Huskies!

ShepzCubbies
09-22-2008, 01:27 AM
Syracuse at 26 come on they will shock people this year.

Yeah they will. I'll be shocked when they beat Notre Dame at home by 20+. But I will be equally shocked when that same team loses at on the road to St. Johns or some other weakling. These guys just never hold it together for having all the talent in the world, injuries aside.

oshea225
09-22-2008, 06:00 PM
duke at 9? could be worse but i feel they deserve a bit higher. however, i agree with whoever said the thing about vitale wanting to put us a little bit low to help his image a bit, no biggie. we're pretty stacked from top to bottom, good mix of youth/experience, bigs/guards, shooters/high flyers. im liking this years team a lot.

SidTheKid
09-22-2008, 06:20 PM
duke at 9? could be worse but i feel they deserve a bit higher. however, i agree with whoever said the thing about vitale wanting to put us a little bit low to help his image a bit, no biggie. we're pretty stacked from top to bottom, good mix of youth/experience, bigs/guards, shooters/high flyers. im liking this years team a lot.

Same here. If they can stay healthy and not fade off towards the end of the season like last year they will have a serious shot at the title.

Shieldsz
09-24-2008, 12:26 AM
Pitt at 10 :clap:

Pujolsfan91
09-24-2008, 09:13 PM
#7 nice. Delvon Roe is gonna be a beast.

SidTheKid
09-25-2008, 02:56 PM
#7 nice. Delvon Roe is gonna be a beast.

He just came off knee surgery so he may not be able to contribute too much this season but over the next couple of years definitely.

noturnormalhero
10-08-2008, 12:41 PM
I dont think the Hurricanes should be ranked # 8 as i've seen on some polls but not as far down as # 21 either. Damn.

YanksFan4Life
10-08-2008, 12:55 PM
Wow, Vandy is nowhere to be seen, despite the year they had. Say what you will about the early exit last year, this is some ********. He puts Tennessee, UF and UK up on his list, but ignores Vandy, even though Vandy split the games against all 3.

Guess going 25-6 during the regular season isn't enough for Dickie V. He's such a terrible analyst, so I don't know why I care.

Wake's Fastball
10-08-2008, 05:09 PM
Wow, Vandy is nowhere to be seen, despite the year they had. Say what you will about the early exit last year, this is some ********. He puts Tennessee, UF and UK up on his list, but ignores Vandy, even though Vandy split the games against all 3.

Guess going 25-6 during the regular season isn't enough for Dickie V. He's such a terrible analyst, so I don't know why I care.

Well I mean, they graduated 3 of their top 4 scorers, including Foster who carried them in alot of big games.

LivingThroughMe
10-08-2008, 05:35 PM
Why argue that your team should be higher on a stupid preseason ranking? It will only set your teams expectations higher. I think my team, Purdue, is ranked about right in this at #11, but if they were #25 I wouldn't care. It's a preseason rank, who gives a damn?

YanksFan4Life
10-08-2008, 06:10 PM
Well I mean, they graduated 3 of their top 4 scorers, including Foster who carried them in alot of big games.

..and we still showed a lot of depth in our bench.

I mean, this happens every ****ing year for us. We lose a few big scorers and then the "analysts" all go "HURRRRR THEY'RE NOT FOR REAL, ITS VANDY LOL", and then one of our younger guys steps up and we are fine. It's ridiculous nonsense, and they should learn from their mistakes.

Wake's Fastball
10-08-2008, 09:15 PM
..and we still showed a lot of depth in our bench.

I mean, this happens every ****ing year for us. We lose a few big scorers and then the "analysts" all go "HURRRRR THEY'RE NOT FOR REAL, ITS VANDY LOL", and then one of our younger guys steps up and we are fine. It's ridiculous nonsense, and they should learn from their mistakes.

To be fair, Foster's been their constant for 3 1/2 years now. Ogilvy's an animal and Beal's an alright wingman, but they're lacking the star power that they've had even in the past few years. You're also playing in an absolutely brutal conference that's got 4-5 tournament teams and 2-3 more bubble teams in it. Ogilvy's going to keep Vanderbilt solid, but they don't have anyone else that's a sure bet to step up either.

The Melky Way
10-12-2008, 02:10 AM
Well Florida does have a great recruiting class coming in this season, so I can see Dick V's logic, but Vandy should have been on this list.

I am a huge UCONN fan and I have to say, we are ranked a little high because our class coming in his spectacular and I am weary of our bench, that once we get into the grunt of our Big East schedule we will get exposed, even though I am really excited about the additions of Majok and Walker.

letsgofish
10-12-2008, 10:49 AM
Miami is going to take people by surprise. They have added a 5 star recruit in Dequan Jones and another big body in Reginald Johnson not to mention they have a lot of people who transferred and are eligible this year. Also we didn't lose anybody important and Dwayne Collins is going to give us a huge advantage with his size and his low post presence. Just look at that Duke game from last year. He is going to be something special.

Wake's Fastball
10-12-2008, 02:59 PM
Miami is going to take people by surprise. They have added a 5 star recruit in Dequan Jones and another big body in Reginald Johnson not to mention they have a lot of people who transferred and are eligible this year. Also we didn't lose anybody important and Dwayne Collins is going to give us a huge advantage with his size and his low post presence. Just look at that Duke game from last year. He is going to be something special.

You guys really have no size though, which is going to hurt when going up against the redwoods that the ACC powers have.

letsgofish
10-12-2008, 09:04 PM
You guys really have no size though, which is going to hurt when going up against the redwoods that the ACC powers have.

we actually have pretty good size for college. nobody has nba ready centers and we have just as much size as anybody else.

Mr. October
10-12-2008, 11:12 PM
Woo VT at #20. Might be high, but one of the best coached teams in the nation.

Wake's Fastball
10-13-2008, 12:33 PM
we actually have pretty good size for college. nobody has nba ready centers and we have just as much size as anybody else.

Collins at 6'8 is your tallest guy that'll contribute. UNC has Hansbrough and Davis at 6'10, Duke and Clemson each have a 7'1 guy that's good. FSU and Wake each have a pair of 7-footers that likely start for them.

letsgofish
10-13-2008, 03:35 PM
Collins at 6'8 is your tallest guy that'll contribute. UNC has Hansbrough and Davis at 6'10, Duke and Clemson each have a 7'1 guy that's good. FSU and Wake each have a pair of 7-footers that likely start for them.

we have jimmy graham at 6-8 also and 2 transfers that are eligible to play that are 6-9. graham plays like hes 6-11 and collins pllays verybig as well.

SidTheKid
10-13-2008, 04:04 PM
we have jimmy graham at 6-8 also and 2 transfers that are eligible to play that are 6-9. graham plays like hes 6-11 and collins pllays verybig as well.

Miami is certainly a team that Duke or any other team can't look past anymore since they're starting to get tough players that will grind it out and make you work for a win.

letsgofish
10-13-2008, 06:12 PM
Miami is certainly a team that Duke or any other team can't look past anymore since they're starting to get tough players that will grind it out and make you work for a win.

yup, and tell wake that collins, who you should know from that game against duke in february, is a budding star with his dominance down low.

chicagofan71
10-14-2008, 07:26 PM
ND 6?! Awesome! this should be a good year. I like Marquette 12, but surprised my Illini didn;t crack the top 40

JHG722
10-14-2008, 07:46 PM
ND 6?! Awesome! this should be a good year. I like Marquette 12, but surprised my Illini didn;t crack the top 40

They have one good recruit coming in, but they flat out have NO scorers...

thegreatone08
10-16-2008, 01:49 PM

Hansbrough is only listed at 6'9. Deon Thompson listed at 6'8. They were the starting forwards last year. Now you have freshman Tyler Zeller who will battle for a starting spot beside Hansbrough and he is a 7 footer. Then another freshman forward at 6'10. I have no doubt that Miami can compete in the ACC. I could see them finishing at best #2 because UNC has the conference no doubt. But DOOK is overrated, as always, and Miami played right with them last year in both games.

Nizzle20
10-17-2008, 11:27 AM
No way a Duke fan complaining about not being ranked high enough... :D I very biasedly agree with the top 10 atleast. A lot of talk I hvae heard has had my Spartans down as a rebuilding year because we lost the most one-dimensional player in the NCAA. We are an elite 8/Final 4 team no problem.

Tell me about it. HOW can a Duke fan ever complain about what Vitale ever says.

7. Michigan State. Tom Izzo will miss Drew Neitzel, but the Spartans will be among the best in the Big Ten.

Watch out for this team. They will fly under the radar because of a few loses due to a rediculous schedule. Come Tourney time though, Izzo will have this team ready to make a strong push.

KG#1
10-19-2008, 05:20 PM
Texas

LivingThroughMe
10-22-2008, 12:14 AM
Tell me about it. HOW can a Duke fan ever complain about what Vitale ever says.

7. Michigan State. Tom Izzo will miss Drew Neitzel, but the Spartans will be among the best in the Big Ten.

Watch out for this team. They will fly under the radar because of a few loses due to a rediculous schedule. Come Tourney time though, Izzo will have this team ready to make a strong push.

Yeah, I think MSU will make a strong #2 finish in the Big 10 :D

mkool65
10-22-2008, 10:27 PM
^^^ we will just have to wait and see about that. We have the toughest non-conference schedule in the big ten, possibly the nation but head-to-head matchups between our teams should be a blast to watch this year.

LivingThroughMe
10-22-2008, 11:15 PM
^^^ we will just have to wait and see about that. We have the toughest non-conference schedule in the big ten, possibly the nation but head-to-head matchups between our teams should be a blast to watch this year.

Ouch, I'm taking a look and you guys do have a really rough non-conference schedule. Purdue's isn't too easy either, we have Duke and Davidson.

I can't wait for the MSU vs. Purdue games, both were extremely exciting last year. If I remember correctly we split the series, home teams won.

mkool65
10-23-2008, 10:09 AM
It is nice to see Purdue coming along with us at the top of the big ten, the Big Ten seems like it may be down a bit this year but both Purdue and MSU should make some serious noise in March.

LivingThroughMe
10-23-2008, 01:18 PM
It is nice to see Purdue coming along with us at the top of the big ten, the Big Ten seems like it may be down a bit this year but both Purdue and MSU should make some serious noise in March.

Yeah we've had a rough past 10 or so years...our last big ten title was 1996.

I keep hearing OSU's name thrown in the mix, but I'm not sure if its just because they're OSU or they have some special players.

DChris021
10-25-2008, 03:20 PM
I think the top ten is solid, I think UCONN is going to have a really good year, might be a little biased but the team is quick and they are huge. Three 7 footers in Thabeet, Mandeldove, and Okwandu. Plus they have Gavin Edwards another 6'9 player, with the presence of Adrien. From what i have heard Majok and Stanley Robinson will be on the team mid December. Plus the speed, having a three guard offense with Kemba Walker taking the point, AJ Price moving over to the 2 and going with either Dyson or Austrie, the team is going to be fast. Its an exciting time to be a Husky fan.

Jamesus
10-29-2008, 11:36 PM
Nice to see Kentucky get a bit of love. By the end of the season, they will be ranked higher than 25 though.