PDA

View Full Version : An apology to American referees

kid#8
09-09-2008, 02:17 AM
LINK (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Too-much-Rod-Benson-An-apology-to-American-refe;_ylt=Am7GXgsyUVkRxRiguDrn42a8vLYF?urn=nba,106 206)

"It takes a big man to admit his mistake and I am that big man."
Michael Scott, 'The Office'

I have to apologize. I made a major mistake. For two years straight I argued, I got angry, I made scenes. I did a lot of complaining about the referees in the D-League, Summer League, and in Pro-Am leagues. I take it all back. You are really top notch. Really.

I've been in France for two weeks and I have already determined that referees out here are nuts. Our season doesn't really start until our first Pro-A league game on October 3rd, but in the meantime we are playing in pre-season tournaments. It's kind of like college except I'm not sure that any of these games count for anything. Anyways, since I've been here we've played in four games. And in four games I have decided that I owe American refs an apology.

Have you ever read crazy headlines about European soccer players head-butting refs, or fans sending death threats to refs? Did you read the story about the Taekwondo guy at the Olympics who kicked the referee in the head? Don't you ever think, like I used to, that something is just crazy about these guys, or did you ever think that it's a two-way street out here? I'm starting to believe the latter.

In my very first game as a Euro baller, I was called for a foul that I didn't agree with. In the D-League and NBA, you can react as long as it's not obscene or excessive, and you turn away from other players or the ref. That is exactly what I did. I looked up at the sky and said: "Where's the contact?"

I'd be willing to bet that this ref who made the call didn't speak English well enough to even know what I said, but he made it a point to let me know that he wasn't happy. He stopped in his tracks on his way to the scorer's table. Then, much like the MLB umpire who stared down Frank Robinson, he turned back at me and just stared at me. He said something in French, walked over to me and stood three feet away, staring.

I looked around at people to see if they were witnessing what was going on. They all seemed to be acting like this was normal. Of course, I didn't stare him back down because I don't even know the rules out here, but he kept on going. He probably held the ball for 15 seconds, just staring at me, challenging me, before he gave the ball to the free throw shooter. Even as the guy was shooting free throws, I was being stared down. I started to get angry and offended, but I didn't stare back. It was just way too odd that he would feel comfortable doing that with so little provocation. He showed my team and me no mercy for the rest of the contest. Every opportunity he had to stare me down, he stared.

Two games later we were in a different city, playing a different team. A few calls in a row had gone our way, clearly frustrating the other team. Kelvin Gibbs, a former Pepperdine baller back in 2001 and current Ludwigsburg center, had just fouled out and on the way to the bench he said something to the tune of: "This is B.S."

The ref then yelled back something I couldn't quite make out. All I know is that the coach of the other team, a gentleman who spoke perfect English, started yelling at the top of his lungs.

"Don't you dare curse and use profanity at my players! I've shown you nothing but respect and you think it's okay to cuss at my guys?!"

His tirade landed him a technical foul.

It made me wonder again. Is this just how it is out here? Refs can cuss out players? They can stare them down and pick fights? If so, then this could be a very interesting season. I highly doubt this will be my last post about these crazy officials.

Those of you back stateside need to appreciate that when a referee instigates a confrontation (see Tim Duncan's crazy-eyed stare down after being ejected for nothing), they are reprimanded. Out here, those same guys roam free. I guess it works out sooner or later. Maybe I'll get Zidane to head-butt the next refs that comes at me sideways.

Rod Benson is a Cal grad and former D-Leaguer who plays for SLUC Nancy, the reigning French league champion. When he's not busy talking to the sky, he blogs one or two times a week on Ball Don't Lie. Read his archive, pay a visit to TooMuchRodBenson.com and always support the Boom Tho movement.

kid#8
09-09-2008, 02:18 AM
Those referees were crazy...damn...

Beno7500
09-09-2008, 02:20 AM
Wow that is really disturbing

Hellcrooner
09-09-2008, 03:16 AM
ohhhhhh how strangeeeeee ooooo you act cocky and you get a technical foul ohhhhhhhh like the one ****ing kobe bryatn shoudl have gotten and DIDNT get in the olympic finals when he started doing the shhhhhh thing!!!!

Stupid american, fiba rules are differente

No STAR calls, No veterans vs rookies faults NO **** .

If i ever come in the way of this stupid i will serve him my best YANKEE GO TO YOUR ****ING HOME and get fat in mcdonalds.

INM fed up of imperialism.

Hellcrooner
09-09-2008, 03:18 AM
Disclaimer, im insulting THIS particular guy, not all the americans.

I know that at least 50 % of you dont think so close minded.

LAKERS 24/7
09-09-2008, 03:18 AM
damn. i never thought i would appreciate nba referees. ever

LAKERS 24/7
09-09-2008, 03:20 AM
ohhhhhh how strangeeeeee ooooo you act cocky and you get a technical foul ohhhhhhhh like the one ****ing kobe bryatn shoudl have gotten and DIDNT get in the olympic finals when he started doing the shhhhhh thing!!!!

Stupid american, fiba rules are differente

No STAR calls, No veterans vs rookies faults NO **** .

If i ever come in the way of this stupid i will serve him my best YANKEE GO TO YOUR ****ING HOME and get fat in mcdonalds.

INM fed up of imperialism.

just the fact that you said that gives you no credibility. why in the world would kobe get a T for that under any circumstances?

kid#8
09-09-2008, 05:49 AM
damn. i never thought i would appreciate nba referees. ever

You do now?...lol..:D:D
was that for good?...

cambovenzi
09-09-2008, 06:18 AM
just the fact that you said that gives you no credibility. why in the world would kobe get a T for that under any circumstances?

hes a sore loser, and big spain homer.
looking for anything to complain about and to tell himself that spain should have won.

i agree, it shouldnt have been a technical.
he was playing to the crowd, not throwing things, or excessively yelling at the refs, like the spanish players were doing.

kid#8
09-09-2008, 06:23 AM
hes a sore loser, and big spain homer.
looking for anything to complain about and to tell himself that spain should have won.

i agree, it shouldnt have been a technical.
he was playing to the crowd, not throwing things, or excessively yelling at the refs, like the spanish players were doing.

LOL...yah he's a homer big time...:D:D

pd7631
09-09-2008, 06:45 AM

If you don't mean to insult americans then you shouldn't even bring it up, because I am insulted by your ignorant comments. The guy was just stating the differences between how games are ref'd in Europe and the US. I think he has a pretty valid point too, because I've seen countless videos of foreign players hitting officials and I've never seen that happen in an NBA game. With that said it's just his blog so it's one man's opinion, he did nothing to insult europeans.

pd7631
09-09-2008, 06:46 AM

If you don't mean to insult americans then you shouldn't even bring it up, because I am insulted by your ignorant comments. The guy was just stating the differences between how games are ref'd in Europe and the US. I think he has a pretty valid point too, because I've seen countless videos of foreign players hitting officials and I've never seen that happen in an NBA game. With that said it's just his blog so it's one man's opinion, he did nothing to insult europeans.

Hellcrooner
09-09-2008, 11:16 AM
oh no, he does not insutl european, he jsut says how good american refs are and how bad european refs are.

You dont see american playes kicking Referees because in america sports are a SHOW and in europe its a COMPETITIOn.

Oh and if yu care to llok at the rules of FIba , what did kobe IS a Technical foul.

barreleffact
09-09-2008, 11:28 AM
oh no, he does not insutl european, he jsut says how good american refs are and how bad european refs are.

You dont see american playes kicking Referees because in america sports are a SHOW and in europe its a COMPETITIOn.

Oh and if yu care to llok at the rules of FIba , what did kobe IS a Technical foul.

idk what kobe did. i guess i didnt see the game, but hellcrooner, im not sayin you are always ignorant, but you really are right now. it isnt good for anyone to abuse authority nor challenge a player. a ref has all the power and what can a player do in response? nothing. so under your view the man is wrong for stating that refs can, will, and regularly do challenge players but they cant in american leagues? he gave really good points IMO but ur acting like such a hater you cant see that. but w/e. maybe ur right it isnt a cometition in the nba. people arent shunned for being great when they dont win a ring. people dont cry when they do when rings because its always staged and because its just a show. it isnt real. even jordan was just acting when he started sobbing to play along and make it seem like its actually a competitive achievement

$ NyC $
09-09-2008, 11:59 AM

take some english lessons, and bro that's def. not a Technical common man...even if it was we won by what was it 9?....you guys did good..heres a pat on the back..

But we're the American's...we own in BBall

LAKERS 24/7
09-09-2008, 01:40 PM

That means nothing to me except fiba rules suck.