PDA

View Full Version : NBA LIVE 09 Demo review.

Fireworld
09-09-2008, 12:18 AM
If anyone was lucky enough to download the demo for xbox, could you share you're review and take on the game? Is it better then last years? Please list the positives and negatives of the Demo Version. Thanx:D

Fireworld
09-09-2008, 12:21 AM
From what i saw on the YouTube Vid's, the game looks great. Not so much looks cause everyone recorded it with a camera (Poor Quality).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2nzu9SN3x4

BigEric
09-09-2008, 12:22 AM
I dont like the whole NBA live gaming engine, but this isnt bad. Last years mistakes were inside offense, glitches and missed jump shots. The gameplay is really smooth and is not a bad game. It could challenge 2k for the spot, we'll see.

They probably did the best they could do with that engine.

SeoulBeatz
09-09-2008, 12:22 AM
maaan. the features looked so sick and i thought maybe for a second i would consider picking live over 2k, but after playing that demo, ive decided to opt for 2k again.

the graphics are SICKKK, although the crowds look cartoonish.

but!!!....

the gameplay is sooo stiff. and the animations make me question if the game developers have actually watched NBA basketball.

2k wins it again even if they dont change a thing because live has still yet to improve gameplay

Fireworld
09-09-2008, 12:25 AM
I dont like the whole NBA live gaming engine, but this isnt bad. Last years mistakes were inside offense, glitches and missed jump shots. The gameplay is really smooth and is not a bad game. It could challenge 2k for the spot, we'll see.

They probably did the best they could do with that engine.

People always seam to wanna argue about what game is better but the truth is both games are great in different ways. If you're used to the buttons on Live then 2K is gonna seam wierd to you and vise versa. I think its a win win. I'm a Live fan but i think 2K has had the edge in recent years.:p

Rome
09-09-2008, 12:27 AM
Yea ill pass on NBA live....again. The 2k series took over. Can't wait to play it.

BigEric
09-09-2008, 12:31 AM
People always seam to wanna argue about what game is better but the truth is both games are great in different ways. If you're used to the buttons on Live then 2K is gonna seam wierd to you and vise versa. I think its a win win. I'm a Live fan but i think 2K has had the edge in recent years.:p

Yeah it depends on the person. Live had way more glitches, but they are patched up. I was a die hard live fan since 95, (when I was 5 i had the game) but they haven't done anything for me since 04, and even that was a decline from 03. 03 was THE best game in my mind. 2k is good and all, but it's got flaws, ones that most people don't see, but their are plenty of flaws. Live shouldn't be as bad as expecting, it's a little stiff, but it's not bad.

Beno7500
09-09-2008, 12:36 AM
I can't download it. PS3 doesn't have it for download. :(

Fireworld
09-09-2008, 12:40 AM
I can't download it. PS3 doesn't have it for download. :(

Yeah i know! i've been checking like every hour to see if its up. I wish i knew the demo release date for the ps3! Anyone know??

GSW fan
09-09-2008, 12:48 AM
i alwys buy live ove 2k and i still will. the demo was okay. similar to last year but the new features should be great

rico
09-09-2008, 12:53 AM
Positive: Graphics look good, good arenas, good crowd, intros etc..
Negatives: Gameplay, Fun Factor.

I hated the demo! Just like all other live games its like no defense required just arcade run n gun offense kinda game.

2K has and will be yet again this year the premiere basketball game.
A lot of people are all like 'Wow that dna thing is cool blah blah blah' Live most likely stole that from 2k because 2k has it. also "Wow live is goin to be updated daily! wow!" - Yeah Nba 2k9 updated Hourly.

So it really comes down to if you like to play a competitive great game with awesome replay/gameplay. Or if you want to play a run n gun offense no defense game made for 12 year olds.

:shrug:

2k is where im going. Also the new Derrick Rose Teaser trailer for 2k9 is DOPE! (http://2ksports.com/videos/new/nba2k9/137)

Fireworld
09-09-2008, 01:06 AM
Positive: Graphics look good, good arenas, good crowd, intros etc..
Negatives: Gameplay, Fun Factor.

I hated the demo! Just like all other live games its like no defense required just arcade run n gun offense kinda game.

2K has and will be yet again this year the premiere basketball game.
A lot of people are all like 'Wow that dna thing is cool blah blah blah' Live most likely stole that from 2k because 2k has it. also "Wow live is goin to be updated daily! wow!" - Yeah Nba 2k9 updated Hourly.

So it really comes down to if you like to play a competitive great game with awesome replay/gameplay. Or if you want to play a run n gun offense no defense game made for 12 year olds.

:shrug:

2k is where im going. Also the new Derrick Rose Teaser trailer for 2k9 is DOPE! (http://2ksports.com/videos/new/nba2k9/137)

Thanx for you're inpoint but this is a "NBA LIVE 09 REVIEW" not a comparison thread. I'm sure 2K is gonna be great too and maybe better. comparisons just lead to arguments and thats how threads get closed.:)

HoopsMachine
09-09-2008, 01:54 AM
still waiting for it to be released on PSN but from the vids that were already posted it does appear to play better than previous Live games. While the game is showing more polish it still appears mechanical with some of its animations and I still see some obvious glitches like the ball getting blocked in midair by itself, teleport action with Pick and Roll/Pop, and players dribbling with the wrong hand (ex. player is moving left yet he is dribbling the ball in his right hand) I guess the last item isn't really a glitch but no one does this in real life unless they are learning the sport for the first time and even then it still feels unnatural.

UK Bull
09-09-2008, 03:11 AM
its ok but ill be getting 2k9

AK-50
09-09-2008, 03:16 AM
im getting NBA Live 09 online Team play and you can scout other players online!!! me and my squads gonna demolish teams :D

Mallpha
09-09-2008, 04:17 AM
Tryed it on my cusins xbox sicne i got ps3 and must say i was expecting more.

Game looks much better gameplay wise but the main thing i didnt like is still there game seams very weird at times player body movement seams very weird i also didnt liek how the ball bounced on the rim (i know small thing but pissed me).
I would say its goign right way but live 09, at least for me didnt make enough progress with gameplay to make me pick it over 2k9

rico
09-09-2008, 08:53 AM
Thanx for you're inpoint but this is a "NBA LIVE 09 REVIEW" not a comparison thread. I'm sure 2K is gonna be great too and maybe better. comparisons just lead to arguments and thats how threads get closed.:)

Uhm... perhaps you missed the very first portion of my post where i was giving my review. kthx

im getting NBA Live 09 online Team play and you can scout other players online!!! me and my squads gonna demolish teams :D
yeah 2k9 has 5 on 5 online play too. im gonna be doing that with friends, but not other ppl too much cuz they dont know how to play team ball.

NYKnickFanatic
09-09-2008, 09:00 AM
Def an upgrade from last year.

But IMO, 2K9 is going to blow it away.

So, 2K9 for me please. :D

HOZ THE KNICK
09-09-2008, 09:42 AM
live is taking they title back this yr..

J-Relo
09-09-2008, 10:01 AM
thumbs up defenitely

but as i'm going to buy PS3 (and it isn't flashable (no written cd's) and i will ahve to buy only originals) i will buy 2k9, not this one...

PS: i started not to like them after they year by year released the same version on PC, and now there wouldn't be any version on it...

OrLMaGiK1
09-09-2008, 10:26 AM
I played the Live 09 demo last night and I like it. Its got a little bit of a new feel to it but I still think the 2k series will dominate. I mean come on EA! you've had the same PA announcer since live 95. Time to change things up a little bit. How about taking 4 or 5 of the best PA announcers in the NBA and recording their voice and mix them up for all the NBA teams so it's not the same boring guy everytime. Live 09 is seems better than last years game and is worth a few plays to see if its for you. But most likely if your a hardcore nba guy you'll go for the 2k series, its just so much more realistic

Tha Truth
09-09-2008, 10:47 AM
I played the demo.

Doesn't seem like the game is much of an improvement from last year.

Other then the DNA thing.

NYKnickFanatic
09-09-2008, 11:07 AM

No, just no....:pity:

Tha Truth
09-09-2008, 11:22 AM

Not from what I've seen...

stevefrancis
09-09-2008, 12:27 PM
id rather get 2k9 its just funner to play live has good ideas but it just doesn't feel right playing. the way the players move. then again its a demo gotta download the 2k9 demo to.

HOZ THE KNICK
09-09-2008, 12:47 PM
lets wait for the 2k9 demo to come out a then we can debate but it is going to be hard for 2k to compete with live 365 mode.

AK-50
09-09-2008, 12:56 PM
yeah 2k9 has 5 on 5 online play too. im gonna be doing that with friends, but not other ppl too much cuz they dont know how to play team ball.

you would be surprised when i started team play last year in NBA Live 08 none of my friends on my list had NBA Live so i tried to just play it and maybe once in a while i would find other people that we really play well together. the most the time i play with these guys and we were in a league and we were down 52-28 at one point......and we came back and won 137-134 around there it was crazy!!! Then in the playoffs we went through both teams we faced (Pistons and Heat) and we were the Hawks and we were one game away from the Finals when our PG didnt have the game no more and our SG went to Arizona for like 2 weeks so we didnt get to play. But this year we are finishing what we started :D

Fireworld
09-09-2008, 11:11 PM
still no demo for ps3 :(

Dirk4theW1n
09-10-2008, 12:26 AM
i hope they fixed the D.. lol i remember being able to get high flyers like jason richardson or like josh smith and like 360 windmill from like out side the paint on like the whole team and get the foul

JMan17
09-10-2008, 12:29 AM
lets wait for the 2k9 demo to come out a then we can debate but it is going to be hard for 2k to compete with live 365 mode.

2k did not have a problem the last 3 years and they won't have a problem this year.

JOSETHEALLSTAR
09-18-2008, 11:47 PM
can you download on xbox live ?

breedlove2drug
09-19-2008, 01:29 AM
all 2k does is copy and cheat off live.... bunch of douche bags

and dont say anything about that rico cause you know its true

dre1990
09-19-2008, 01:37 AM
:up:

Fireworld
09-19-2008, 01:54 AM
Got the demo for ps3 early!! anyone wanna know how just pm me:)

rico
09-19-2008, 03:06 AM
all 2k does is copy and cheat off live.... bunch of douche bags

and dont say anything about that rico cause you know its true

lol i dont think thats true at all. if u wanna be a live fanboy thats fine. i prefer to play a more realistic/challenging basketball sim. :shrug: