PDA

View Full Version : Melo shows off medal before Ravens-Bengals game

DenButsu
09-08-2008, 08:14 PM
http://media.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/content/img/photos/2008/09/07/Bengals_Ravens_Football_t335.JPG

From the Rocky Mountain News (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/sep/07/melo-shows-medal-ravens-bengals-game/):

Melo shows off medal before Ravens-Bengals game

BALTIMORE — Carmelo Anthony added some star power to the Ravens’ season opener against the Cincinnati Bengals on Sunday.

Making one of his few public appearances since returning from the Beijing Olympics, the Denver Nuggets and U.S team star wore his gold medal while attending his first Ravens game and taking part in ceremonies before Baltimore’s 17-10 victory.

Anthony, who played his first three years of high school basketball at Baltimore’s Towson Catholic, wore a purple No. 15 Ravens jersey and was cheered as he strolled to midfield for the coin toss as an honorary captain.

“I’ve came a long way,” Anthony said before the ceremony. “It means a great deal. ... It’s an honor for me, being from Baltimore.” He was part of the American team that rolled through the Olympic competition, capping it with a victory over Spain in the championship game.

Anthony is among the Olympic medalists who will appear on “The Oprah Winfrey Show” on Monday in a segment that was filmed last week in Chicago. Even so, the Nuggets star said his first trip to M&T Bank Stadium might have been more impressive.

“Oprah, of course, is big,” he said. “But being here and being honored ... that might be a little bigger, though.”

Oh, no he didn't just dis Oprah. :no:

Iodine
09-08-2008, 08:22 PM
I was at that game :jumpy:

AIMelo=KillaDUO
09-08-2008, 09:00 PM
Damn Melo makes Ray Lewis look hella short.

C-Dub
09-09-2008, 07:27 AM
he makes a lot of people look short...

Nugget Tony
09-09-2008, 01:20 PM
I told you he would be wearin that thing like a Flavor Flav clock.......

liliverson819
09-09-2008, 10:17 PM
and also showing it off on trl...

DenButsu
09-09-2008, 11:12 PM
I told you he would be wearin that thing like a Flavor Flav clock.......

I know you're never one to miss an opportunity to express your Melo hate, NT, but please.

Like he's the only one doing this stuff. (http://www.usabasketball.com/news.php?news_page=08_oprah)

:eyebrow:

AIMelo=KillaDUO
09-10-2008, 01:12 AM
he makes a lot of people look short...

lol yea thats true but I didn't think Ray Lewis would be someone he'd make look that short. Lewis is a beast.

Nugget Tony
09-10-2008, 02:28 AM
I know you're never one to miss an opportunity to express your Melo hate, NT, but please.

Like he's the only one doing this stuff. (http://www.usabasketball.com/news.php?news_page=08_oprah)

:eyebrow:

I thought it was an easy jab that lined up with my predictions post......was way to easy and I couldnt resist.....it was all too perfect.....

Carmelo "The Flavor" Anthony

DenButsu
09-10-2008, 02:50 AM
Oh, I know you're just messing around. :cool:

But really, you (or actually we - Nuggets fans, all of us) should be happy. This kind of goes without saying, but obviously unlike his DUI, this is the right reason for him to be making headlines - representing his country, bringing back the gold to the U.S. and his hometown, repairing his damaged rep by being a good, upstanding citizen... Of course we won't know until the season starts, but given the horrendous way the last one ended, with all the signs of growth Melo has shown via his Olympic experience - a more positive and humble frame of mind, a better attitude not only as expressed in interviews and attested to by his teammates, but as reflected in his play on the court, his acceptance of a backup role and his defensive efforts, and in practical terms, just better physical conditioning - I think the summer couldn't have possibly gone better for him, and I don't think anybody would have predicted after game 4 at the end of April that he would appear to be moving in such a positive direction by early September.

Ultimately it will be his choice to really step up or not, but at least all the events that have transpired over the last couple of months - and some of those are his own accomplishments - have set him up well, and will facilitate that process of him becoming a more complete player and a truer leader, if he chooses to pursue it. And I don't think it's unrealistic to believe he just might.

Sure, there are reasons to be skeptical. We have seen the Nuggets (and not only Melo) talk big and fail to back it up plenty of times before (cough, cough, "60 wins", cough, cough, "we'll prove them wrong"). But I do think Melo wants to win, and I think he's probably got more drive to push himself harder after that last postseason fiasco.

We'll see.

Nugget Tony
09-10-2008, 12:52 PM
Oh, I know you're just messing around. :cool:

But really, you (or actually we - Nuggets fans, all of us) should be happy. This kind of goes without saying, but obviously unlike his DUI, this is the right reason for him to be making headlines - representing his country, bringing back the gold to the U.S. and his hometown, repairing his damaged rep by being a good, upstanding citizen... Of course we won't know until the season starts, but given the horrendous way the last one ended, with all the signs of growth Melo has shown via his Olympic experience - a more positive and humble frame of mind, a better attitude not only as expressed in interviews and attested to by his teammates, but as reflected in his play on the court, his acceptance of a backup role and his defensive efforts, and in practical terms, just better physical conditioning - I think the summer couldn't have possibly gone better for him, and I don't think anybody would have predicted after game 4 at the end of April that he would appear to be moving in such a positive direction by early September.

Ultimately it will be his choice to really step up or not, but at least all the events that have transpired over the last couple of months - and some of those are his own accomplishments - have set him up well, and will facilitate that process of him becoming a more complete player and a truer leader, if he chooses to pursue it. And I don't think it's unrealistic to believe he just might.

Sure, there are reasons to be skeptical. We have seen the Nuggets (and not only Melo) talk big and fail to back it up plenty of times before (cough, cough, "60 wins", cough, cough, "we'll prove them wrong"). But I do think Melo wants to win, and I think he's probably got more drive to push himself harder after that last postseason fiasco.

We'll see.

OK OK OK...just for the record.....

Yes the Nuggets are blessed to have a player of the talent of Carmelo Anthony......

Saying that....I want to put to rest all the speculation that I completely hate Melo...becuase I do not.....Not as a player...and not as an individual....

Yes I have been very critical of this kid.....Of his play on the court at times...which to me he has displayed both times of brillance...and times of pure lazy bonehead moves.....but we all make mistakes.....Melo has made his share.....and Now is the time for this guy to step it up and show the community that his immature days are behind him....

I have distanced myself from Melo this off season...so I am unaware of anything really going on in his world...interviews and such....so hopefully this experience and whatever has transpired this offseason with him has opened his eyes.....still I am a little skeptical.....but I hope the Nuggets and Melo prove me wrong....

I will be the first one to give Melo props if and when he does step it up, I will also be the first to rip into him if he totally blows it too....because in all honesty I see in this kid the ability to get us to where we all want to go....He just needs to get it done.....we all come to a place in our life where its....do we continue on as we always have....or do we grow up...and take that next step in life......Maybe Melo has made that step this off season....Time will tell....Hopefully I have alot to cheer about this season.....

Can't wait to see what "The Flavor" brings this year....

DenButsu
09-10-2008, 09:20 PM
:laugh2:

Cool. :cool: