PDA

View Full Version : Simms and Rattay don't get to work out afterall

KingJamsI
09-08-2008, 06:07 PM
As reported by PFT,

The New England Patriots flew free agent quarterbacks Chris Simms and Tim Rattay to Boston today, with the expectation that they would work out and possibly fill a spot on the team’s suddenly thin quarterback depth chart.

But Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that when Simms and Rattay arrived, they were told “the situation had changed” and they no longer were needed. So they left without a workout.

It’s not quite clear what the Patriots meant by “the situation had changed.” Tom Brady is still done for the season, and that means the Patriots could still use another quarterback.

So maybe the Patriots plan to sign another free agent quarterback. Chris Mortensen suggested on ESPN’s Monday Night Countdown that Randy Moss might have recommended Daunte Culpepper. And Vinny Testaverde is available. Or maybe the Patriots are working on a trade.

Whatever the Patriots are working on, Matt Cassel is the starter, and he won’t be backed up by Simms or Rattay.

OK, have at it... lets hear all the crazy ideas. A.J. Feeley, Daunte Culpepper, Vinny Testaverde, Brian Greise, Rex Grossman and Doug Flutie seem like the more likely scenarios, in that order.

Randy West
09-08-2008, 06:10 PM
Maybe they just roll with Cassel and elevate MG from the practice squad. I thought Simms would be a good fit for the Pats

Obviously BB has different ideas

The Intimidator
09-08-2008, 06:32 PM
I wonder what BB has under his sleeve...

Crickr
09-08-2008, 06:34 PM
I wonder what BB has under his sleeve...

I am sure he has something going. I just don't see him sticking with Cassel and a rookie without any other game plan. Look for something to happen soon.

The Intimidator
09-08-2008, 06:35 PM
I am sure he has something going. I just don't see him sticking with Cassel and a rookie without any other game plan. Look for something to happen soon.

I'm actually kind of excited...

ERLynx
09-08-2008, 06:42 PM
When I read "the situation has changed" my heart jumped for a second.

Then I realize, it really hasnt.

Sorry fellas, I'm taking this one a little rough. I'll stop.

The Intimidator
09-08-2008, 06:42 PM
When I read "the situation has changed" my heart jumped for a second.

Then I realize, it really hasnt.

Sorry fellas, I'm taking this one a little rough. I'll stop.

It stings a little, doesn't it?

Snydesdale
09-08-2008, 07:32 PM
The plans have changed? little upset that they didnt give either a try especially Simms.

Snydesdale
09-08-2008, 07:33 PM
But does anyone have any idea what is going to happen? Are we going to stick with Cassel and O Connel, is a trade being talked about?

Snydesdale
09-08-2008, 07:40 PM
Bring back Drew Bledsoe!
Pay to get Michael Vick out of jail?

yboord028
09-08-2008, 07:43 PM
Matt Guttierez is more than likely going to be signed from the practice squad.

Snydesdale
09-08-2008, 07:44 PM
That doesnt make any sense to me he SUCKS what hurts in signing chris simms he made the playoffs won some games, doesnt make sense.

ERLynx
09-08-2008, 07:54 PM
Guttierez knows the offense Simms doesnt. Thats all I can give you for a reason. It's still so early in the season though I think we should bring in someone. Who knows.

Wake's Fastball
09-08-2008, 08:06 PM
Thank god Simms got told to go home. He's absolutely terrible.

The Intimidator
09-08-2008, 08:13 PM
Thank god Simms got told to go home. He's absolutely terrible.

Absolutely. As is Rattay.

Snydesdale
09-08-2008, 08:14 PM
Simms is not a terrible QB he won like 11 games that year with the bucs when they had like joey galloway, we have to realize any QB will be better in our offense than they would in any other or at least the top of the league.

The Intimidator
09-08-2008, 08:17 PM
Simms is not a terrible QB he won like 11 games that year with the bucs when they had like joey galloway, we have to realize any QB will be better in our offense than they would in any other or at least the top of the league.

If you believe that Simms was the reason that they won those games, then you should get your head checked. No offense. They won with great defense and Cadillac Williams. End of story.

Snydesdale
09-08-2008, 08:20 PM
He managed the games that is what we need we can run the ball and he is still a winner.

The Intimidator
09-08-2008, 08:23 PM
He managed the games that is what we need we can run the ball and he is still a winner.

He has a career sub .500 record. How is that being a winner?

Snydesdale
09-08-2008, 08:25 PM
how is matt cassel a winner he has never started a game not even in college, im behind him and not saying we need to bring in someone to be our starter but someone as a saftey net i mean if cassel cant do it then were most likely done O connel is to young and not good enough yet, and MG just sucks.

The Intimidator
09-08-2008, 08:28 PM
how is matt cassel a winner he has never started a game not even in college, im behind him and not saying we need to bring in someone to be our starter but someone as a saftey net i mean if cassel cant do it then were most likely done O connel is to young and not good enough yet, and MG just sucks.

Cassel knows the offense. So does O'Connell, and so does Gutierrez. That is why they are the best options. Why would you want to waste money on someone like Simms, who would take 3 or 4 weeks to fully grasp the offense? Please be sensible.

Crickr
09-08-2008, 08:28 PM
There aren't really many choices out there for the Pats to choose from. I don't know what BB has up his sleve but you can bet he isn't idily sitting around. Something will happen cassel can handle things for a couple of games but when things get tough then I am not all that positive. I have to trust in Cassel but I am not his biggest fan.

The Intimidator
09-08-2008, 08:30 PM
There aren't really many choices out there for the Pats to choose from. I don't know what BB has up his sleve but you can bet he isn't idily sitting around. Something will happen cassel can handle things for a couple of games but when things get tough then I am not all that positive. I have to trust in Cassel but I am not his biggest fan.

I'm not his biggest fan either, but we have to have faith in the guy.

Snydesdale
09-08-2008, 08:32 PM
I would take the stats he had this week against the Chiefs every game this year.

The Intimidator
09-08-2008, 08:35 PM
I would take the stats he had this week against the Chiefs every game this year.

You're finally beginning to make sense. All he has to do is manage the offense, and we'll be fine.

Crickr
09-08-2008, 08:39 PM

Me to but I doubt that will happen regretably

The Intimidator
09-08-2008, 08:46 PM
Me to but I doubt that will happen regretably

It can. He has the ability.

trucolorz91
09-08-2008, 09:23 PM
I cant believe how many people are jumping on this dudes side. He realy is not good. O.k yes he had a good game......against the chiefs.....they lost there last 10 games.....there one of our worst teams on our schedule and we still had to have a last minute stand by our defense. He will not win games for us especially against Jets, Dolphins, Bills, Colts, etc. Our schedule is not as easy it looked in the beggining of the year because allot of teams have new talent especially in our division. Culpepper hands down will give us the best chance of winning and he is probably the only player we can get that I can fully trust to win us games. Moss has been fighting to get him on the team and after Brady left Moss is probably the most talented player on the team with a great deal of knowledge so I bet the patriots are looking into taking him out of retirement.

Also the signs are there, He showed interest in the patriots. Even with a huge pay cut hed be making allot more than he is now. And last Randy Moss is pulling for him to join the team. If you remeber last year we became the highest scoring offense in NFL history with Brady and Moss. Who did we take the #1 spot from? Cullpeper and Moss....Case Closed!

The Intimidator
09-08-2008, 09:32 PM
I cant believe how many people are jumping on this dudes side. He realy is not good. O.k yes he had a good game......against the chiefs.....they lost there last 10 games.....there one of our worst teams on our schedule and we still had to have a last minute stand by our defense. He will not win games for us especially against Jets, Dolphins, Bills, Colts, etc. Our schedule is not as easy it looked in the beggining of the year because allot of teams have new talent especially in our division. Culpepper hands down will give us the best chance of winning and he is probably the only player we can get that I can fully trust to win us games. Moss has been fighting to get him on the team and after Brady left Moss is probably the most talented player on the team with a great deal of knowledge so I bet the patriots are looking into taking him out of retirement.

Also the signs are there, He showed interest in the patriots. Even with a huge pay cut hed be making allot more than he is now. And last Randy Moss is pulling for him to join the team. If you remeber last year we became the highest scoring offense in NFL history with Brady and Moss. Who did we take the #1 spot from? Cullpeper and Moss....Case Closed!

Get a reality check...he's not the same Culpepper.

Fribbles
09-08-2008, 09:35 PM

took the words right out of my mouth. I have an idea... he is someone who hasn't played in a few years but still im sure he is still in good shape, I'd say he knows the Pats pretty well, the offense too, and oh yeah he threw a TD pass in the AFC title game in Pittsburgh when Brady hurt his foot....thats right folks im talking about DREW MOTHER F'N BLEDSOE!!!!!

The Intimidator
09-08-2008, 09:40 PM
took the words right out of my mouth. I have an idea... he is someone who hasn't played in a few years but still im sure he is still in good shape, I'd say he knows the Pats pretty well, the offense too, and oh yeah he threw a TD pass in the AFC title game in Pittsburgh when Brady hurt his foot....thats right folks im talking about DREW MOTHER F'N BLEDSOE!!!!!

Get a reality check please. He knew the OLD offense. The Bill Parcells/Pete Carroll offenses. He was ineffective under Belichick. He was 5-13 under Belichick.

trucolorz91
09-08-2008, 09:41 PM
I think bringing in Bledsoe would be smart let him play a game or two then take him out and the back up will be GREAT. Well atleast it worked for Brady.......and Romo......Two of the top three passers lol

The Intimidator
09-08-2008, 09:52 PM
I think bringing in Bledsoe would be smart let him play a game or two then take him out and the back up will be GREAT. Well atleast it worked for Brady.......and Romo......Two of the top three passers lol

Regardless...he's not in football shape.

KingJamsI
09-08-2008, 10:49 PM
Maybe they just roll with Cassel and elevate MG from the practice squad. I thought Simms would be a good fit for the Pats

Obviously BB has different ideas

I know that MG makes the most sense, but think about how that would have to go down

Guttz has to be the first guy they thought of, i dont think they forgot he was on the practice squad....so what they decide hes not good enough, call Rattay and Simms, pay for them to fly out and then decide F it! lets not even see what these guys have and sign the first guy naturally thought of anyways? Obviously a trade or F/A had to come to mind or they at least would have worked the 2 guys out.

The Intimidator
09-08-2008, 11:36 PM
I know that MG makes the most sense, but think about how that would have to go down

Guttz has to be the first guy they thought of, i dont think they forgot he was on the practice squad....so what they decide hes not good enough, call Rattay and Simms, pay for them to fly out and then decide F it! lets not even see what these guys have and sign the first guy naturally thought of anyways? Obviously a trade or F/A had to come to mind or they at least would have worked the 2 guys out.

Very well said...took the words right out of my mouth. Belichick has something planned. I'm sure it's not earth-shattering, such as acquiring Peyton Manning, but still, it's worth anticipating.

Snydesdale
09-09-2008, 10:36 AM
I like AJ Feely the most but rooting for Cassel.

The Intimidator
09-09-2008, 10:40 AM
I liked Feeley when he was in Philly. He just wasn't ready to start when he went to Miami. Culpepper would be a good choice with the familiarity with Moss. Testaverde has gotta be having great grandkids soon but he is familiar with the Pats and woiuld be better than Griese or Grossman. Flutie is probably the farthest strech out of that group.

Good thoughts, but:

Culpepper is not even close to the same guy he was before his knee was re-constructed.

Testaverde is not a realistic option because of what you already said: he's old. Even if he knows the offense, his 45 year old body is ready to collapse.

Flutie: no.

Snydesdale
09-09-2008, 10:47 AM
Who even said flutie? Are you kidding if you did there is no way that doug flutie can still play football.

The Intimidator
09-09-2008, 10:49 AM
Who even said flutie? Are you kidding if you did there is no way that doug flutie can still play football.

********** suggested Flutie.

Snydesdale
09-09-2008, 11:04 AM
There is no way Doug Flutie is even close to an option, maybe to replace MG on the practice squad, simms ratay everyone available is better then flutie.

The Intimidator
09-09-2008, 11:07 AM
We've already had this discussion...Flutie was just a name people threw out there.

Darren5000
09-09-2008, 07:31 PM
That's really odd...but I wouldn't count Culpepper out just yet. Maybe we may see Culpepper to Moss, never know! Thanks for the update on Simms, I hope the 49ers seriously sign him as #3 instead of Jamie Martin! We do better just to resign Trent Dilfer!:mad:

Snydesdale
09-09-2008, 08:18 PM
I honestly think it wouldnt hurt us to take a shot at culpepper sign him learn him the offense and if cassel struggles give him his shot.

Either way if Brady is on the sidelines the Pats QB will be at a distinct advantage.

The Intimidator
09-09-2008, 08:20 PM
That's really odd...but I wouldn't count Culpepper out just yet. Maybe we may see Culpepper to Moss, never know! Thanks for the update on Simms, I hope the 49ers seriously sign him as #3 instead of Jamie Martin! We do better just to resign Trent Dilfer!:mad:

Isn't Shaun Hill their #3?

Patsfan56
09-10-2008, 05:54 AM
Not that I care much about this guy, but apparently Simms just signed with Nashville.

FYI

The Intimidator
09-10-2008, 12:47 PM
Not that I care much about this guy, but apparently Simms just signed with Nashville.

FYI

You mean Tennessee? :D

ERLynx
09-10-2008, 03:49 PM
Yea I heard about him in Tennessee earlier today. I'm not upset about it; If BB wanted him, he would have gotten him. I'm sure Simms would have rather played here than Tenn. Obviously BB just sees something in the 3 guys we have now, be it knowing the offense or talent, that he likes. Either that or he has a trick up his sleeve. We will find out soon enough.