PDA

View Full Version : Paul Pierce's Injury in the finals, was it legit?

JordansBulls
09-08-2008, 02:35 PM
NOTE: I don't want this thread to get out of hand, I just want a honest opinion regarding this matter.

As everyone knows by now, Paul Pierce got injured in game 1 of the 2008 NBA Finals and got pulled off on a wheelchair.
He came back and was playing hobbled and then had a knee brace on him the rest of the series and took home finals mvp. That was outstanding for a player to do that. My question is, was his injury legit in your mind?

If not then explain why not?

MiamiHeat
09-08-2008, 02:38 PM
I think he did get injured, but he made it seem bigger than it actually was

QUICKTRADE
09-08-2008, 02:41 PM
he's an actor but he over did.

MoBASS
09-08-2008, 02:48 PM
I'm calling it now: this thread will get out of hand and closed within 3 hours.

Paul Pierce has (had) a good track record, but that act he performed was absolutely ridiculous. For him to be carried off the floor like that, writhing in pain, and then magically 2 minutes later be running and jumping full strength.. get the F outta here with that garbage. It destroyed the Lakers' momentum and was total bush league..

..classy move Paul. Reminds me of Will Ferrell in Talladega Nights.

knicks1214
09-08-2008, 02:55 PM
No. He was carried off the court, and came back into the game in the next half REFUSING to take an MRI. Obviously, if something really did happen, he would have taken an MRI asap to determine how severe the injury was.

NYKnickFanatic
09-08-2008, 02:55 PM
Nah, he was faking it.

Paul Pierce just wanted all the attention on him, faked an injury, made it seem like he came back, and played a great game while injured.

He planned that whole thing out before the game. Jk, lol, iono about that.

But def faked it.

Paul Pierce is a female dog, IMO.

still1ballin
09-08-2008, 02:59 PM
I can see them pulling off pierce in a wheel chair off the court so he would not walk on it, just in case, but if you saw his expression when he went down, he looked like he was in pain! how can you have that expression and 3minutes later jumping for joy coming out of the tunnel and playing like nothing happened? He was trying to pull a Willis Reed. FAKE

JMan17
09-08-2008, 03:55 PM
100% fake. take it from lebron...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysT8RA6JQks&feature=related

Faneik
09-08-2008, 04:05 PM
Dumb haters!

Didn't you ever had severe pain that goes away in a few minutes? Play some sports, you lazy S's.

He said he heard a tweak and was in pain, and the trainers that rushed to him told not put weight on it. He had that face b/c he thought the injury was serious and the timing of it was the worst. In the locker room, he stood up and the knee was better.

bostncelts34

HE was definitly injured. IT was not his choice to go in the wheel chair. If your the team doctor/Danny Ainge. And you in the 2008 finals, game 1. Would you take any chances with your star player walking on it? no. so they played it safe until they could look at it in the back. They realized it was ok to play with, and they let him go back onto the court.

ANy player who hears a POP in their knee, gets scared.

BRADfromOZ
+1

Antbanks21
09-08-2008, 04:15 PM
he's a big FAKER, only wanted to seem heroic and wanted to be the center of attention in the Finals...

... and the Oscar goes to...PAUL PIERCE!!!:clap::clap::clap:

bostncelts34
09-08-2008, 04:17 PM
JB...im not quite sure why you brought this up..lol

Just bringing all the bitter laker fans in here to complain.

YOU LOST. get over it . :)

Celts22
09-08-2008, 04:20 PM
I think he did tweak his knee and freaked out because it was game 1 and he thought his chance at a championship was gone.

knicks1214
09-08-2008, 04:28 PM
I love all the Celtic fans think that he actually did hurt himself. If he really did, he would have gotten an MRI to make sure that nothing was horribly wrong. That is what really makes my case...

JordansBulls
09-08-2008, 04:31 PM
I love all the Celtic fans think that he actually did hurt himself. If he really did, he would have gotten an MRI to make sure that nothing was horribly wrong. That is what really makes my case...

He didn't get the MRI because he could have found out that he would end his career if he kept playing. He wanted to play no matter what the doctor would have said thus he postponed it.

knicks1214
09-08-2008, 04:33 PM
If he heard a tweak in his knee, like he said he did, playing the second half would not have ended his career...that's ********. ALSO, he never got the MRI...even after the game, or the next game, or at all during the series. If he was really concerned about his knee, he would have gotten the MRI and played anyway...he doesn't have to listen to the team doctors if he does not want to.

Antbanks21
09-08-2008, 05:00 PM
If he heard a tweak in his knee, like he said he did, playing the second half would not have ended his career...that's ********. ALSO, he never got the MRI...even after the game, or the next game, or at all during the series. If he was really concerned about his knee, he would have gotten the MRI and played anyway...he doesn't have to listen to the team doctors if he does not want to.

i agree

superkegger
09-08-2008, 05:16 PM

+1

+2.

He was injured and the reaction of the Celtics made it seem a bigger deal than it was. He hurt his knee, but it wasn't a big deal, else he obviously wouldn't have been able to play, just an overreaction by the Celtics staff (an understandable overreaction at that) and an overhyping of the incredible comeback by the media.

JordansBulls
09-08-2008, 05:18 PM

Why would you take a MRI if in the finals? that doesn't make sense. If the results turn out to be too bad even though you may decide to play you will play tentative the rest of the way for fear of what may happen to you. It makes sense to just finish the series and hope that nothing is too major of an injury.

THE NATION
09-08-2008, 05:26 PM
Why would you take a MRI if in the finals? that doesn't make sense. If the results turn out to be too bad even though you may decide to play you will play tentative the rest of the way for fear of what may happen to you. It makes sense to just finish the series and hope that nothing is too major of an injury.
That doesn't happen. If you have played sports, then you know if you are hurt and I is major enough to get an MRI done you play tenative either way, because if you don't have it done, you think the worse and play tentative and if you have an MRI done atleast you know and can just go out and worry about the game.

fresh prince
09-08-2008, 06:02 PM
HE didn't "fake" the injury. He just over dramatized it.

Then came back and beasted us for 3 of the next 5 games.

All in all he WILL lose a lot of respect from fans and media pundits(outside of Bos- New England) but he gained a ring and A default "finals MVP". I'm sure Paul is happy for the trade off

BoSox47
09-08-2008, 06:13 PM
I am from Boston and i say Paul Pierce faked it.

Come on now the guy was squirming on the floor liek a new born baby then got carted off next thing you know he drains back to back three's

NO doubt he faked it to get his team and the arena pumped up.

Whatever works my friends.

bogdanrom
09-08-2008, 06:25 PM
I guess a little. He didn't faked it. It was more of a exageration.

Hawkeye15
09-08-2008, 06:41 PM
I am sure he felt some sort of pop, feared the worst, and when the numbness and sharp pain started to go away a few minutes later, he realized it wasn't what he feared. Anyone who plays 2 weeks after nearly being stabbed to death shouldn't be put in Vince Carter's class of acting.

Hawkeye15
09-08-2008, 06:42 PM

All in all he WILL lose a lot of respect from fans and media pundits(outside of Bos- New England) but he gained a ring and A default "finals MVP". I'm sure Paul is happy for the trade off

he lost my respect when he declared himself better than Kobe.

DerekRE_3
09-08-2008, 06:49 PM
I think at first he just thought it was much worse than it actually was. It could have hurt a lot at first, but then he realized he was ok once he came off of the floor. Nobody can know for sure though. If I was an NBA player I would be paranoid about getting a knee inury like that. I don't really blame him for reacting the way he did. And we don't know if he asked to wheeled off or if the trainers decided to do that.

But the people that compared it to Willis Reed...:pity:

tsb77
09-08-2008, 07:06 PM

how was it a default finals MVP he deserved to get it

DopieB
09-08-2008, 07:08 PM
Good actor...almost as good as Tony Parker

GspLAL
09-08-2008, 07:10 PM
He didn't get the MRI because he could have found out that he would end his career if he kept playing. He wanted to play no matter what the doctor would have said thus he postponed it.

Oh so the injury was potentially career ending but he played like that, makes sense to me!

dannyking18
09-08-2008, 07:17 PM
If You Ask Me Paul Pierce "not The Truth" Did Get Injured But It Wasn't Like That Of A Big Deal To Make It Seem He Broke Or Ripped His Leg Off.he Did Over Exhaderated A Bit,it Was Just A Tweak But What Gets Me Is That When I Saw Him Go Down,he Just Tweached His Face A Beat Like Damn I Got Punch Or Scratch Like That Kind Of Expression Wen U Get Hit.but As Soon As Some Of His Team Mates Got Closer To See What Happened To Him,he Immediately Started Screaming Outta No Where And Hold His Leg I Was Like Ok Hes Just Trying To Get Attention Right Away I Knew He Just Wanted To Get The Fans And People Of There Seats And Blow Out The Stadium Smart Move On Him.but Yes He Did Not Faked It But Over Exhaderated The Lil Tweak He Got...im Not A Lakers Fan Just Saying What I Saw...imo Celtics Won The Series Fare Enough,but It Would Have Been A Whole New Story If The Lakers Had The Most Improved Laker Andrew Bynum For The Finals..then I Might Have Gone For The Lakers To Win It All...imo""

dannyking18
09-08-2008, 07:19 PM
I THINK PAUL PIERCE CRYED MORE WHEN HE TWEAKED HIS ANKLE,THAN WHEN SHAUN LIVINGSTON LITTERALY BROKE N DISLOCATED HIS KNEE...WHO AGREES WITH ME?...LIVINGSTON WAS TWEACHING HIS FACE WHEN PAUL PIERCE WAS SCREAMING THE HELL OUTA HIS LUNGS LOL...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kalIPs18BI

Vidball
09-08-2008, 07:20 PM

An MRI takes 20 minutes and it could effect the way the leg is treated in between games. An MRI would have given him the best possible chance to rehab and be in top shape for the upcoming games (if there was an injury to address).

bostncelts34
09-08-2008, 07:46 PM

exactly. he didnt want to know. it felt OK to play on, so he did.

KnicksWin
09-08-2008, 07:46 PM
I ruptured my ACL in my left knee, came back and did the same thing to my right knee + a torn MCL. When it first happened it was like a fire inside my body. Then depending on what way I moved it there was a wide range from no feeling to excruciating pain. These types of injuries are impossible to imagine unless you have been through them, having something even partially torn would hurt like hell, but a knee brace could support the knee enough to get back out there...

I did not know he said no to the MRI... that makes me just a little curious... But I still don't think he out right meant to do all that. Come on the C's were gonna beat Kobe regardless, he did not have enough weapons for KG and Ray.

fresh prince
09-08-2008, 07:51 PM
how was it a default finals MVP he deserved to get it

Default in that the Celtics winning the finals was the ultimate team victory. No one player carried them to the title certainly not Pierce... he was brutal in a few games.

Ray Allen was huge in stretches as was KG, Posey, Rondo, Leone Powe for a game etc.

It wasn't your typical dominant Finals MVP performance like James Worthy had in 88 or Jordan or even Wade like.

He was defaulted the award since all parts of the team had equal contributions and he has been the face of the franchise.

BleedPurple
09-08-2008, 07:53 PM
I think he may have overreacted a bit.But who the hell cares anymore???? If he did fake the injury to pump up his team,it worked.LAKERS were running the show that night,then Pauly got hurt,left the floor, came back and gave everyone in that arena wearing green a couple key bumps of the white and it was all down hill from there..........if your a LAKER fan like myself that is.

knicks1214
09-08-2008, 07:58 PM
@Jordans, in response to your comment about my comment, you can take an MRI, a quick one, in under 20 minutes. So, if he wanted to, he could have taken the MRI during halftime and missed the beginning of the 3rd quarter...And Hawkeye, he also lost all my respect, or what left I had for him after the "injury" by saying he was better than Kobe.

tsb77
09-08-2008, 07:59 PM
Default in that the Celtics winning the finals was the ultimate team victory. No one player carried them to the title certainly not Pierce... he was brutal in a few games.

Ray Allen was huge in stretches as was KG, Posey, Rondo, Leone Powe for a game etc.

It wasn't your typical dominant Finals MVP performance like James Worthy had in 88 or Jordan or even Wade like.

He was defaulted the award since all parts of the team had equal contributions and he has been the face of the franchise.

ok fair, those are good points (i thought u were being a homer or a hater and just saying pierce shouldnt get it)

fresh prince
09-08-2008, 08:20 PM
ok fair, those are good points (i thought u were being a homer or a hater and just saying pierce shouldnt get it)

Nope not at all. I'm one of the objective Laker fans I still respect Pierces game and think he deserved the Finals MVP. But if it would have went to KG or Ray no one really would have flipped out.

2008 Finals Statistics

Pierce: 21 ppg 4.5 rpg. 6.3 apg on 43%fg
Ray Allen: 20.3 5 rpg. 2.5 apg on 50%fg
KG: 18 PPG 13.3 rpg. 3 apg on 43%fg

I mean none of those lines really jump out at you.

On a side note: While looking up the numbers came across Kobe's line:

26 ppg 4.7 rpg 5.0 apg 2.67 spg on 40%fg

Not to make this into a Kobe thread. But I've seen it here on this forum more than anywhere how Pierce OWNED/DESTROYED KOBE

That talk really needs to stop. Kobe put up these numbers as the main focus of a great Celtics D with no legit 2nd option. Gasol averaged 14 ppg for the series.

In reality (AND NOW THAT IM FINALLY OVER THE LOSS)those numbers are pretty good. I guess even Kobe haters hold him to another standard? Thats pretty Ironic

op12
09-08-2008, 08:51 PM
you guys have obviously never been hurt in a game. it normally feels worse when it happens than it really is. im sure pierce got scared, he finally made it to the finals and probably thought he was done for the series. he may have overreacted a little but that happens in the heat of the moment. im sure the 1st thing that came to mind when he got hit was im going to inspire everyone by acting like im really hurt and pull a reed. stupid, ignorant people who say this. let it go, lakers lost and were dominated and it was not because of that play.

jetsfan28
09-08-2008, 08:55 PM
Yes. It wasn't as bad as he thought it was IMO, and he was as much scared as hurt, but he was definitely injured.

op12
09-08-2008, 08:57 PM
the default mvp talk has got to stop too. he had 1 bad game and was the go 2 guy. he played good d and did a lot of little things to help them win. it could have gone to ray, but pierce made big plays when he needed to. kg played decent but not mvp worthy. pierce had a better series than kobe and was the best player on the floor almost every game. how is that by default.

knicks1214
09-08-2008, 09:03 PM
He did deserve MVP a little, although I like KG more as he brought more intensity, but he did not play better than Kobe...PP shot 3% better, less rebounds, and 1.3 more assists...Kobe averaged 6 more points than him with the defense keying in on him every possession...

dre1990
09-08-2008, 09:23 PM
faked

JMKnick33
09-08-2008, 09:26 PM
100% Faker.

I respected "The Truth" until that very moment.

JMKnick33
09-08-2008, 09:33 PM

He did fake the injury..there was no injury! He just got hurt. His incident was the equivalent of a kick in the shin.

The way he was grimmacing made it look like he broke something. If I was able to jump back and skip back onto the court after 2 minutes..my initial face would not have been close to how ugly Pierce looked. He crying like a little bizzatch.

balla4life22
09-08-2008, 10:46 PM
Who cares? CELTICS ARE DA CHAMPS! What ya gonna do about it?

Skins4Life
09-08-2008, 10:53 PM
I dont think the pain was fake, but it was a little over the top when 3 players had to carry him... but no i dont think the injury was fake...

JMKnick33
09-08-2008, 10:53 PM
Who cares? CELTICS ARE DA CHAMPS! What ya gonna do about it?

That's great. good for them..

But the thread title is not " who were last years champs? "

If you didn't care, then why'd you click on the thread?

The Prodigy
09-08-2008, 10:58 PM
he wasnt injured...he was hurt...he made it worse than it shouldve been...he thought he could be out for the series...but i dont think he actually faked it just got caught up in the moment...hes a grown *** man...theres no reason to fake the injury that bad

Nighthawk
09-08-2008, 11:05 PM
what a thread

Laker fans actually cant believe there team was beat. They thought it was going to be easy. Dont know why. But now they have their excuse. Paul Pierce "faked" and injury for momentum and now they dont have the title they should of won

Its simple. Pierce went down and hear a pop and HAD NO LCUE WHAT WAS GOING ON... Once the trainer was told by Paul he heard a pop they took cautionary actions and got the wheelchair. He was giving a shot and his knee was in a brace. WHAT TEAM WOULD DO THAT!!! All for nothing?? Yeah Paul Pierce went down and if he wanted to he couldve got back up but know he faked pain and just NEEDED to pull a Willis Reed. You haters amaze me. lol

still1ballin
09-08-2008, 11:17 PM
what a thread

Laker fans actually cant believe there team was beat. They thought it was going to be easy. Dont know why. But now they have their excuse. Paul Pierce "faked" and injury for momentum and now they dont have the title they should of won

Its simple. Pierce went down and hear a pop and HAD NO LCUE WHAT WAS GOING ON... Once the trainer was told by Paul he heard a pop they took cautionary actions and got the wheelchair. He was giving a shot and his knee was in a brace. WHAT TEAM WOULD DO THAT!!! All for nothing?? Yeah Paul Pierce went down and if he wanted to he couldve got back up but know he faked pain and just NEEDED to pull a Willis Reed. You haters amaze me. lol

LOL, we got beat and? I still believe if they were 100% fully healthy it would be a different story but thats my opinion. No one said it was going to be easy, boston didnt win 60+ games for no reason.

op12
09-08-2008, 11:23 PM
LOL, we got beat and? I still believe if they were 100% fully healthy it would be a different story but thats my opinion. No one said it was going to be easy, boston didnt win 60+ games for no reason.

yeah but you didnt have bynum and you lost. everybody always talks about "ifs" the bottom line is the celtics are the champions and if paul pierce had not gone down at that point the result would be the same. now if you guys win it this year then i will be happy to give you props, but i wish people would stop saying it would be different if...

kid#8
09-08-2008, 11:37 PM
I think he just got hurt...but not that bad he just overreacted on it...
but all in all it's just a DRAMA....lol....

ARMIN12NBA
09-09-2008, 12:03 AM
That was a complete joke. He was obviously faking. Lets all be real. The fact that he came jumping out up and down to the Rocky music makes it a closed case for me.

Fireworld
09-09-2008, 12:07 AM

Best said:clap: but hey, it worked! it wont work again though.;)

JordansBulls
09-09-2008, 01:00 AM
Source: Boston.com (http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2008/07/08/truth_is_pierce_still_celebrating/?rss_id=Boston.com+--+Boston+Celtics+news)

"The craziest thing about this thing - I'm happy we won it and I'm kind of coming down off it - last week, I was thinking we've got to do this again. And that's what is going to motivate me next [season]."

Pierce said his strained right knee appears to be improving.

"While I'm here, I'll get an MRI on my knee," Pierce said. "I've still got some soreness, hopefully it's nothing major. I doubt if I'll need any surgery. It's getting better and better. I don't see any surgery in my future."

"I brought it back [to Los Angeles]," Pierce said. "I showed it to everybody and my aunts and uncles, the looks in their eyes seeing it - it's tough to win the MVP during the regular season, with all the great players. But there is no better trophy than the MVP of the [Finals]."

Pierce is hopeful free agents such as Eddie House and James Posey return to the Celtics, but he is not counting on it.

"It's tough when you win a championship," Pierce said. "I've been talking with [general manager] Danny [Ainge] practically every day. Obviously, James's stock has gone up, Eddie's stock has gone up. They are the two most important guys we are trying to sign. It's difficult. Hopefully, they will return, because those guys were a big key to what we did."