PDA

View Full Version : Boston Globe: Tigers favorites for K-Rod?

Dalionking
09-08-2008, 12:25 AM
Posted by Scott Warheit September 07, 2008 17:53PM
Categories: Top Sports
Will the Detroit Tigers look outside their organization for their "closer of the future?" The Boston Globe thinks so. In an item about the St. Louis Cardinals, the paper casually mentions that the Tigers are the early leaders in the clubhouse for the services of all-world closer Francisco Rodriguez, who currently pitches for the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, and who will be looking for a big free-agent pay day this off-season.

September 7, Boston Globe: While the Tigers are an early front-runner for Francisco Rodriguez's services, don't rule out the Cardinals. They will likely fall short of a playoff berth because of their bullpen. Through Friday, they had 30 blown saves and 30 bullpen losses, both worst in the league. They've lost 12 games on walkoff hits, 21 losses have come in the opponent's last at-bat, and 14 losses came after they led through seven innings. While Dave Duncan is a tremendous pitching coach, he is not a magician.

~Troy
09-08-2008, 06:23 AM
Oooh, I'm excited.

Pujolsfan91
09-08-2008, 07:58 AM
So, to early rumors he's going to my two favorite teams. I'm not sure he's worth the $15-18 million dollar contract he'll probably command in free agency

Bondomania
09-08-2008, 10:54 AM
i am not excited.. another horrible contract, we have guys that will be able to close at the big league level in 2010.. for a team trying to make the playoffs, we can't afford to be spending 15 to 18 mill into a closer.. just horrible use of resources.. if anything we need to go out and sign a front line starter. Hell, i am starting to become more comfortable with Rodney as the closer next year.. it really seems like he is settling into the role, after a few shaky outtings at first, it seems like he is getting the hang of it..

Hermie13
09-08-2008, 11:19 AM
yeah, I don't think you guys should be going after K-Rod. Too much money for your already too high payroll. A guy like Fuentes would be better, or just stick with what you got and improve the other aspects of the bullpen instead.

Bondomania
09-08-2008, 03:01 PM
exactly, if we didn't have all these horrid contracts, and our payroll was around 100 mill, then i say maybe, because you could go out and make a few moves, right now, i think they have the money to go out and get one big name player.. and closer isn't where we need to go

Hermie13
09-08-2008, 04:26 PM
well.....I'd scratch the Tigers off the 'frontrunner' list......

Billy Wagner is having surgery and will be out til 2010 (missing ALL of next season)......so I'd say that makes the Mets the frontrunners now for K-Rod....

mark1125
09-08-2008, 05:52 PM
i am not excited.. another horrible contract, we have guys that will be able to close at the big league level in 2010.. for a team trying to make the playoffs, we can't afford to be spending 15 to 18 mill into a closer.. just horrible use of resources.. if anything we need to go out and sign a front line starter. Hell, i am starting to become more comfortable with Rodney as the closer next year.. it really seems like he is settling into the role, after a few shaky outtings at first, it seems like he is getting the hang of it..

I agree. I would much rather sign a good starter and a serviceable closer (Brandon Lyon?) or commit to Zumaya.

The money that K-rod will command is just too much to spend for a team that has a couple more holes to fill first.

Tragedy
09-08-2008, 11:08 PM
well.....I'd scratch the Tigers off the 'frontrunner' list......

Billy Wagner is having surgery and will be out til 2010 (missing ALL of next season)......so I'd say that makes the Mets the frontrunners now for K-Rod....
Agreed. I've said from the beginning, even before Wagner went down, that K-Rod would be the guy the Mets targeted more than ANYONE (Including Tex).

With that said, I think this K-Rod chase comes down to the Tigers and Mets.

JackB
09-09-2008, 08:07 AM
Unless FRod can pitch the 7th-8th and 9th innings he isn't worth the money.Plus we would have to have the lead to use him.
There is NO WAY in hell Rodney is the closer. He is an accident waitng to happen. He almost blew another two nights ago. And Zumaya isn't even an option.Neother one of these guys can be trusted to close. We need a PITCHER not a THROWER. I said this way back that next years closer isn't on this team.
Brandon Lyon would be an option if the price is right. He pitches well in closing situations BUT stinks the place up in non closing games.
I believe we need to get two starters and one bat. I don't think we trade away any young pitching to get a shortstop.
Give Santiago a shot. Whats the worse thing that can happen ? He hits .220 and hits 3 hrs? Wew've been shut out something like 14 times with Renteria was was does it matter. He can play short as well as anybody. Our defense is terrible. That would be one key spot we can fill within. And cheap.