PDA

View Full Version : I thought i'd do a bit of research on the subject....

DreamShaker
09-07-2008, 10:54 PM
How old is everybody and how long have you been a fan of the NBA?? I don't want anyone to discriminate because of age but I saw somebody mention they thought the average age was older than I figured...I just was wondering....

Me....i'm 25 and have been watching the NBA since 92 or 93....

Also if you are a young'n....what do you do to find out more about the history of the game??

I watch as many old games as I can...and talk to guys who have watched those games about such things....I also have been addicted to NBA TV lately anytime they show old games and specials about old players....

Beno7500
09-07-2008, 10:58 PM
Im 15. Watching since 98

danbola
09-07-2008, 11:05 PM
Im 29, the first basketball I can remember watching was Lakers v. Celtics finals in 1987.

Iodine
09-07-2008, 11:05 PM
36, watching since 77

Hawkeye15
09-07-2008, 11:06 PM
I'm 32, watching since the 85-86' season. This thread could potentially tell a lot about the posters. For instance, nobody should take my opinion of basketball from the 70's. I only know stats and video. I will leave it at that so as not to discriminate.

hockeypro68
09-07-2008, 11:06 PM
I'm 19. Only been watching since about 2000, but I've become pretty devoted to basketball. I don't know how BORING life would be with the NBA...

DerekRE_3
09-07-2008, 11:12 PM
I'm 19. I've been watching basketball since about 1995. Been a Kings fan since I started watching basketball. My family had season tickets for 10 years, we gave them up after the 2005-2006 season. But I've been watching the Kings since the Mitch Richmond years. When people came to Arco Arena to see the other team play, which unfortunately, is happening again.

yboord028
09-07-2008, 11:13 PM
18, Probably about 1999 or 1998 when Mourning and Hardaway were on the Heat and Before Alan Houston hit the game winner in the playoffs.

Honestly I am not a big fan of the history of the NBA, I mean I know who all the big players are but mostly I soak it in from news reports, games, etc. Really I barely knew anything about the Miami Heat, Pre 1999 till last year.

Lakersfan2483
09-07-2008, 11:14 PM
I am 25 yrs. old, I have been watching the NBA since 1990. I have studied the game and it's rich history over the past 18 yrs.

Lakersfan2483
09-07-2008, 11:16 PM
I have been able to watch MJ, Hakeem, Shaq, Barkley, Kobe, Malone, Duncan,Stockton, Payton, Miller all in their primes. It's been great to watch all of these greats, their are more, just did not list them.

DreamShaker
09-07-2008, 11:21 PM
I have been able to watch MJ, Hakeem, Shaq, Barkley, Kobe, Malone, Duncan,Stockton, Payton, Miller all in their primes. It's been great to watch all of these greats, their are more, just did not list them.

I remember going to Rockets games as a kid and seeing Miller, Stockton, Malone, Parish, Ewing, and of course Dream and Drex....good memories....

still1ballin
09-07-2008, 11:21 PM
im 18 and i started to watch basketball in 96 when kobe came into the league

DreamShaker
09-07-2008, 11:24 PM
im 18 and i started to watch basketball in 96 when kobe came into the league

It helps watching great players on your favorite team starting out....I got to watch Dream growing up....nobody has come close since on the Rockets but it was cool seeing Barkley on the team:D

SAVAGE CLAW
09-07-2008, 11:32 PM
31 Interested since 1983 or 84 dont remember clearly, i had to watch Taped Games that the father of a friend had because he was a journalist, they dindt start nba trasmisions on Spanish tv until 1987.

raptors_516
09-07-2008, 11:38 PM
im 15 and i have been a fan since 2004 to learn about the game i just watch raptors nba tv and watch old games

Lakersfan2483
09-07-2008, 11:40 PM
The two most dominant players at their respective positions that I have seen: Michael Jordan and Shaquille Oneal. Hakeem and Kobe are 3rd and 4th respectively. I also think Tim Duncan was great to watch.

Obviously, Magic, larry, and Kareem were great, but they were at the end of their careers when I started really watching basketball.

Kings Faithful
09-07-2008, 11:42 PM
Im 17..ive been watching nba 97 or so, the Bulls were my favorite team when MJ was on them because i was young and Jordan was like God to me...but i didn't start rooting for my home team until i gained a logical mind in 2000. I don't know how ive learned about Basketball history and for someone as young as me I sure know alot....ive just kind of picked it up through various sources like the internet, books, and video games and such. Its wierd because i can give you the averages of almost any major player going WAY back off the top of my head with really good accuracy, even thoe ive never seen them play.

Chronz
09-07-2008, 11:51 PM
22 Year old

Lots of reading and listening and tons of research is how I know the older generations.

29$JerZ
09-07-2008, 11:53 PM
I am 18, I used to watch the Knicks games during the 90's but stopped for a while after we lost to the Spurs. I restarted when I entered highschool in 2003. Knicks,Bobcats and Spurs for me.

superkegger
09-08-2008, 12:01 AM
I'm 22, and my earliest memories of the NBA is when John Paxson hit that 3 pointer in game 6 of the 93 finals to clinch it. I don't know a whole lot about the NBA before that, just what I talk about with my dad who was a basketball fanatic until he was like 30. But I've only gotten really into the NBA since like 98 when Jordan retired and I was old enough to understand how big a deal that was and so on.

#1Mavericksfan
09-08-2008, 12:34 AM
I'm 21 almost 22 in a few days, I remember watching Allen Iverson play in 2000 and I liked the way he played the game of basketball with so much passion so I guess you can say Allen Iverson made me a fan of the NBA, then I became a fan of the Mavericks in 2003 and have been one ever since.

DODGERS&LAKERS
09-08-2008, 01:14 AM
27. Been in love with basketball since I was 6. Seen Magic and the Lakers, and I have had an addiction ever since.

DreamShaker
09-08-2008, 01:14 AM
I'm 21 almost 22 in a few days, I remember watching Allen Iverson play in 2000 and I liked the way he played the game of basketball with so much passion so I guess you can say Allen Iverson made me a fan of the NBA, then I became a fan of the Mavericks in 2003 and have been one ever since.

Iverson is a rare player....

Kyle N.
09-08-2008, 01:19 AM
I'm 17 and I've been watching since 2001. I'd only watch Kings games at the time and I didn't really know any other players besides the obvious ones. Now I watch whatever's on and I know all the players but I'm still a diehard Kings fan and I never miss a game.

DopieB
09-08-2008, 01:32 AM
27 years old and grew up in Chicago, so been watching since 1987, if you didn't know basketball you were almost shunned. I've seen Jordan/Barkley/Drexler/magic/Payton/Malone/Stockton, all in Chicago, was there when they won it for #6 and have been at all of the parades, still a fan of the bulls....it's been hard for a couple years

Rome
09-08-2008, 01:32 AM
Great thread.

I'm 20 and I've been a Suns fan since I was a little guy but only started watching it around 99 and serious about it around 2001. Now I do whatever I can to learn about the game past and present. I read articles, watch old games, posting here I've learned things. Pretty much just whatever I can. I want to know everything there is to know. Lol basketball is life.

BRADfromOZ
09-08-2008, 01:50 AM
Me 29, I first saw the NBA(on tv sucks being in Australia some times) it was 1986 and a really short man beat a really tall man in a slam dunk competition (love Nique and Spud). I didn't really get to watch much untill 1991-92 season. I'm always trying to educate myself on the NBA's history.

DenButsu
09-08-2008, 02:02 AM
36... but growing up I was much, MUCH more of a Broncos fan than a Nugs fan... I didn't seriously get into basketball until the Mutombo era... But that came to a head pretty quickly, and right around the same time is when the Broncos made their back to back superbowl run... and basketball faded back into the background for me for a while. Melo getting drafted is what really got me back into it. But I'm through the looking glass now... I'll never go back to a period of not taking much interest in basketball again... I'm hooked. Also, being that I don't live in the states, it's just so much easier to follow developments in the NBA than in the NFL... football's so much more complex, with so many more players and so much more movement... Basketball's much easier to keep tabs on from afar...

Bishnoff
09-08-2008, 02:38 AM
I'm 23 years old. Been watching the NBA since 1990 and have been a Suns fan since day one (due to Chambers & KJ). It's pretty annoying in Australia because even with Cable we only get like 20 regular season Suns' games televised. Learnt the history of the game from collector cards (player stats), magazines, books, videos etc.

Leftcoast_yg
09-08-2008, 03:35 AM
im 23 and iv'e been stuck to the nba since 2005 but i was watching the lakers here and there during their 3 peat, but occasionally would see magic and jordan era sometimes when i was younger but i really learn my basketball through old vids and know the game pretty well, i would probably be more into football if there was no nba...oh and ill pretty much watch any nba game and i will mostly root against the celtics, suns, kings, pistons, miami in that order, meaning if the suns were playing the celtics im rooting for the suns

Tom81
09-08-2008, 04:37 AM
I'm 27 ,first season I remember was 92-93',since this season i'm suns fan.

Faneik
09-08-2008, 06:20 AM
I'm 27, the 1st season I can remember is the '90-'91 when the Bulls won 4-1 vs the Lakers.

I've been a Celtics fan since then, even though they started declining about that time.

Joshtd1
09-08-2008, 08:36 AM
20. From what my parents told me I watched it with my dad when I was real young, probably going back to 3-4 years old, but of course I don't remember it. I think the time I really started actually following the NBA alot is in once the Spurs drafted Tim Duncan.

$ NyC $
09-08-2008, 09:47 AM
only 17..and my 1st game was when Marbury hit the game winner vs the Spurs in the playoffs...but i know EVERYTHIN about current NBA and use 2 watch alot of ESPN Classic and old games...read a book articles...im obsessed with out BBALL I'd prob. commit suicide

pebloemer
09-08-2008, 10:11 AM
I'm 23 and I have been watching Basketball since around 2001. To learn more about the history of the game I go on NBA forums (PSD) and read people's debates about different players, series', games, etc.

dre1990
09-08-2008, 10:13 AM
18 since 95

Aapox
09-08-2008, 11:25 AM
I'm 20. I remember watching the last Bulls Championship of the first three-peat and then Shaq get owned by the Rockets in 94 and 95. I became a pretty big fan during the second Bulls three-peat but never really got into NBA basketball as a whole until about 3 or 4 years ago when the Bulls started to do well again and I started playing basketball in real life a lot more.

ShakeN'Bake
09-08-2008, 11:33 AM
Im 19. Ive been watching basketball pretty much my entire life. When I was little my family lived in Illinois so apparently I grew up watching the Bulls with my dad but I really dont remember any of that. I started seriously getting into basketball when I was about 8 and have been a die hard for the Celtics ever since then. Once I turned about 12 I became a general NBA fan, you know i just enjoyed watching any game not just the Celts. I typically do research on players that I missed and whenever I get a chance I watch games on ESPNClassic or online if theres available video.

Joshtd1
09-08-2008, 01:25 PM
only 17..and my 1st game was when Marbury hit the game winner vs the Spurs in the playoffs...but i know EVERYTHIN about current NBA and use 2 watch alot of ESPN Classic and old games...read a book articles...im obsessed with out BBALL I'd prob. commit suicide

I remember that play..I think Amare hit a 3 in regulation at the buzzer to tie it as well. I was in disbelief

Hellcrooner
09-08-2008, 01:51 PM
31, Here in spain it wasnt televised until late in the 80s but i used to travel on Holydays, crhistmas eastern etc to Venezuela my mothers land and i got caught up like in 82 , or 83 watching a Nuggets game, then i saw the lakers and i was impressed for life. at first until they started airign in sapin i just bougth any Magazine i clud find at airports "( i used to travel a lot because of my fathers job), and got a nice bunch of street and smiths anuals for example.
From the last Lakers beat Celtics on it has been aired here so ive followed the league close.

IndyRealist
09-08-2008, 02:43 PM
30, been watching the NBA for about 25 years or so. Didn't have cable when I was a kid in Indiana, and we only got 5 or so channels, and on one of them the Pacers were always on. I was hooked. I remember drafting Reggie Miller over Steve Alford. I remember Spud Webb winning the Slam Dunk contest. I was lucky to get hooked during the NBA renaissance, where I could watch Magic, Bird, Wilkins, Jordan, Isiah, Barkley, Peyton, Kemp and Hakeem all playing. I remember thinking, "Man, Jason Kidd, Jimmy Jackson, and Jamal Mashburn all on the same team! Dallas is going to go somewhere with them!" I remember David Robinson's season ending injury, and them getting Timmy the next season. I remember NBA Live '95 on the SNES, and the Run n' Gun and Jam Session arcade games. It was a good time to be an NBA fan.

GspLAL
09-08-2008, 02:54 PM
Im 19, started watching since 95 I think, I watched Jordan play but I dont really remember how he played cuz I was so young at the time.

BullsNumber1Fan
09-08-2008, 05:43 PM
I am 16 years old and have been watching since 1998 when MJ and the Bulls won their 6th title. I remember the day they won their last title, my dad, neighbors, cousins, and I went outside and blew off fire works and the cops came and told us to stop.

SAVAGE CLAW
09-08-2008, 09:39 PM
I also rememeber starting Jackson,Gerald,Kiki,Oakley and Ewing for The Knicks with Skywalker , Eddie Lee Wilkins as my first two Bench Options on Lakers vs Celtics and the Nba Playoffs video Game.

grkmaster
09-09-2008, 04:42 AM
Iverson is a rare player....

Very true and a honor to be able to watch him play and accomplish what he has in his career.

I cant really remember when I first started but I remember starting to like the Knicks way back when I was in Kindergarten but im not sure how much of the NBA i watched but I think I started watching it around '94-96?

It sounds so little that I have been watching the game for only 12 years or so. It feels so much longer.

The good old days of the NBA ... feels good remembering but at the same time painful b/c you wish you could relive those days watching all the great stars at the time

ertanozgur
09-09-2008, 05:14 AM
im 24 but the first game i watched was the lakers vs phily in 2001

Lakersfan2483
09-09-2008, 06:13 AM
I remember the time when Michael Jordan closed his eyes at the free throw line and then proceeded to hit the free throw. I was hooked on basketball because of MJ. I have been a laker fan since 95, but was a Bulls fan from 90-94 or so. MJ was the primary reason I started watching basketball. I used to watch he and Scottie Pippen on the court, man, those guys were great in their primes. You talk about mentally tough, great defenders, insane how good they were. People also forget how good Horace Grant was, he was a terrific defender and could hit the 12 to 15 footer on a consistent basis. The early 90's were some of the best times to be an NBA fan.

As far as the Lakers, I became a huge fan when they had C. Ceballos, G. Lynch, D. Christie, S. Threat, Vlade, E. Campbell, Nick Van Exel. I was young during the Magic yrs, but became a huge fan after watching his old tapes. I also remember being hooked to laker basketball in 96, the signing of Shaq, the trade for Kobe, the drafting of D. Fisher. 96 was a great year to be a laker fan.

JJ_JKidd
09-09-2008, 06:57 AM
My uncle was watching MJ vs. Clyde (Bulls vs Blazers Finals) and I got fascinated over MJ. And I started watching him afterwards.

The players I followed since then

MJ
AI
Kidd
Kobe (now)
LBJ (future)

KiNgSuNs1
09-09-2008, 07:02 AM
im 18 and have been watching every since i can member things lol i know i watched it with muh dad and grandpa every since i was little so theres alot i cant remember but i was watching the games :) but ya

Fireworld
09-09-2008, 07:26 AM
21. watching since 1999. hard to get nba in tunisia back then.

Ragan
09-09-2008, 08:41 AM
I'm 23 and used to turn off sesame street to watch my 76ers. Sir Charles will never be a wacky TV drunk to me!

Sixerlover
09-09-2008, 09:20 AM
18. First game I truly remember was the Rockets vs the Magic in the finals one of those two years (not really sure which one). Although I didn't start following the Sixers until about '98

snickers
09-09-2008, 09:51 AM
23 been watching since kobe came into the league in 96-97 i do my research threw the internet and reading on here to and espn classic when ever they air old games i live in Spokane Washington so i order nba league pass to watch my lakers havent missed a lakers game since they came out with it.:)

PhxGiant
09-09-2008, 10:04 AM
I'm 18 my family had season tickets a long time ago, so one of my earliest memories was seeing Charles Barkley running down the court. I remember being a huge Kidd fan and i remember shaking Penny Hardaway's hand.

I soak up NBA history every way that i can internet, tv, books, ect.

Longarm
09-09-2008, 10:41 AM
I must be the old dog here. I'm going to be 70 in Oct. I was a big fan of John Wooden and the Bruins in the 60's and have been following the Lakers since the early 70's. I've certainly seen some great ones. Dr J, Moses Malone, Wilt, Russel, West, a ton of great games and great players. And we are all blessed to be able to watch the current crop of great players. Do we live in a great country or what?

MassoDio
09-09-2008, 10:50 AM
I'm 31. I've been watching since 84.

DLeeicious
09-09-2008, 11:08 AM
I'm 23 and grew up outside Chicago, and therefore have been watching NBA since 90 or 91. You ask ANYONE from my generation from the Chicago area about the NBA and everyone of them watched the Bulls during the 90's, people don't realize how big those championship teams were here back then. You talk to a 23 year old girl about the NBA, she doesnt know who Lebron is BUT she did watch the bulls in the 90's every game! But unlike everyone else, I continued watching the NBA after the Bulls run and am still completely obsessed. I watch old games, have DVDs with interviews and clips from decades back, can't get enough of it.

SeoulBeatz
09-09-2008, 11:25 AM
19 been watching since 96, Allen Iversons rookie season!

_Sn1P3r_
09-10-2008, 08:04 PM
My uncle gives me tapes of individual players from before, research, vids, etc.

RoyalG333
09-10-2008, 08:17 PM
How old is everybody and how long have you been a fan of the NBA?? I don't want anyone to discriminate because of age but I saw somebody mention they thought the average age was older than I figured...I just was wondering....

Me....i'm 25 and have been watching the NBA since 92 or 93....

Also if you are a young'n....what do you do to find out more about the history of the game??

I watch as many old games as I can...and talk to guys who have watched those games about such things....I also have been addicted to NBA TV lately anytime they show old games and specials about old players....

yo im 25 too. same deal I started watching at the end of the showtime era. I watched the showtime era games, but I was too young to really know what was going on. My prime years were between 93-98. Yes they were painful years as a Laker fan especially since the Lakers were "suppose to be good!"

I can't remember the year, but it was James Worthy's last season. They made it to the playoffs to play Phoenix in the first round. The Lakers took the first two games in Phoenix (first rounds were 5 games back then), and the Lakers proceeded to lose the next 2 at home and then 1 Phoenix. But I remember that those first two games were when I really felt the Laker pride and excitement. Losing those next 3 were heartbreaking to watch.

It was all about Jordan. It was like a tv show at that point "what will jordan do to win the ring this time?" differnt story same ending.

Some of my NBA heroes growing up:
Jordan
Malone
Stockton
KJ
and on the Lakers, YES...Vlade Divac.............and Sadale THreat

IndyRealist
09-10-2008, 09:33 PM
As far as the Lakers, I became a huge fan when they had C. Ceballos, G. Lynch, D. Christie, S. Threat, Vlade, E. Campbell, Nick Van Exel. I was young during the Magic yrs, but became a huge fan after watching his old tapes. I also remember being hooked to laker basketball in 96, the signing of Shaq, the trade for Kobe, the drafting of D. Fisher. 96 was a great year to be a laker fan.

I loved the Nick Van Exel/Eddie Jones backcourt, with Doug Christie, Cedric Ceballos, and Vlade Divac, that team was as entertaining as any to watch. I was upset when Eddie Jones was traded to make room for Kobe. Guess it worked out for the Lakers, though.