PDA

View Full Version : Brady out for season with torn ACL

Bosoxgoober15
09-07-2008, 07:57 PM
REPORT: BRADY OUT FOR THE YEAR WITH TORN ACL
Posted by Mike Florio on September 7, 2008, 7:28 p.m. EDT

Michael Silver of Yahoo! Sports reports that Patriots quarterback Tom Brady is expected to miss the rest of the 2008 season with a “severe injury to his left knee.”

The injury is widely believed to be a torn ACL. Silver says that there could be other ligament and cartilage damage.

“It’s bad,” a team source told Silver. “We’re going to have to play without him.”

The starter will be Matt Cassel. Unless the Pats bring back Vinny Testaverde. Or Doug Flutie. Or Steve Grogan.

UPDATE: Silver’s report has been updated — the ACL tear is confirmed.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/09/07/report-brady-out-for-the-year/

Shieldsz
09-07-2008, 08:00 PM
Wow.. talk about a bad way to start the season.

This will be a tough, tough, tough year for NE without their star.

The Intimidator
09-07-2008, 08:03 PM
The team confirmed the tear?

Bosoxgoober15
09-07-2008, 08:07 PM
i dont think so. trent dilfer told espn that a patriot player said that cassel is the starter for the rest of the season. culpepper??? haha

WindyCityFlyer
09-07-2008, 08:08 PM
Lots of different sources reporting this, hard to believe that it is false.

The Intimidator
09-07-2008, 08:10 PM
Until he gets the MRI and Bill Belichick steps up to the podium and tells us all that Brady's being put on IR, I'm not believing it.

smashmouth
09-07-2008, 08:12 PM
Until he gets the MRI and Bill Belichick steps up to the podium and tells us all that Brady's being put on IR, I'm not believing it.

and nor should you...I think alot of people have jump the gun on this

JerseyBrave
09-07-2008, 08:13 PM
all I can say is wow! considering he walked off the field and was reportedly walking around the locker room, most acl tears have the players carted off the field.

The Intimidator
09-07-2008, 08:14 PM
This is an ideal situation for the media...they all want to break a story like this one. They'll use any source even remotely credable...

BouGa
09-07-2008, 08:15 PM
Thats what I am trying to tell people, they will stretch this rumor out as long as possible. Theres nothing bigger in sports right now and they are expanding it beyond what it should be.

He walked off the field, put pressure on his leg, and walked down a set of stairs.

The Intimidator
09-07-2008, 08:17 PM
Thats what I am trying to tell people, they will stretch this rumor out as long as possible. Theres nothing bigger in sports right now and they are expanding it beyond what it should be.

He walked off the field, put pressure on his leg, and walked down a set of stairs.

I heard that he was helped down the stairs, but yeah I hear you. This is a media field day.

y2shoes
09-07-2008, 08:18 PM
This isnt the first time yahoo jumped the gun on something sports wise. No one would know what is until he gets an MRI. There is no way of telling if he has a torn ligament with out seeing an mri and and x ray doesnt show ligaments or soft tissue damage. Plus i am just hoping it is a sprain cause he did walk off the field and i think if it was worse he would have been carted off the field like someone eluded too earlier. Trust me i want Brady to be fine cause i think we have a real shot of not only winning the super bowl but going undefeated. Let us just hope he is okay and i think Cassell can feel in against the Jets.

The Intimidator
09-07-2008, 08:21 PM
Yeah, Yahoo does like to break news whenever they can.

The GEEEEE Men
09-07-2008, 08:24 PM
all I can say is wow! considering he walked off the field and was reportedly walking around the locker room, most acl tears have the players carted off the field.

Osi walked off the field too and look where he is now... They are pretty much comparing this injury to the one Carson Palmer had in his playoff game... Sorry to hear this those guys, sucks to see a great player like that get hurt.

JerseyBrave
09-07-2008, 08:24 PM
If this injury is like they said "a severe knee injury" than there is no way he walked off the field by himself! impossible.

An acl tear needs a MRI to be considered a acl tear, so how it is being reported a acl tear and other cartilege and ligament damage is impossible to diagnose.

The Intimidator
09-07-2008, 08:27 PM
Could just be media overblowing it.

Crickr
09-07-2008, 08:28 PM
If this injury is like they said "a severe knee injury" than there is no way he walked off the field by himself! impossible.

From what I saw he was assisted off the feild by the trainers. He was putting weight on it but his full weight.

The Intimidator
09-07-2008, 08:29 PM
From what I saw he was assisted off the feild by the trainers. He was putting weight on it but his full weight.

For the most part he got off the field under his own strength, for what it's worth.

whitesoxfan83
09-07-2008, 08:42 PM
never thought id feel sorry for chowder heads, but even this makes u frown.

ill believe it when its confirmed tho, somehow i feel like belicheck is going to put him down as questionable on the injury reports for the rest of the season. i still dont buy this until i hear brady or da coach say its true (and i dont expect either soon)

the superbowl loser curse strikes again!

good luck

RedSoxMike
09-07-2008, 08:46 PM
I'm with everyone else, until I hear it from Belichick, I'm not believing anything.

He was able to walk off the field under his own strength as "The Intimidator" just said.

sportpro70
09-07-2008, 08:47 PM
As a jets fan i wanted to say i hope Brady is ok, it wont be the same going head to head against you guys without him.

The Intimidator
09-07-2008, 08:49 PM
The bottom line is that no really credible source has been cited as of yet. I'm stubborn by nature, so I'll deny this as long as possible. It might be true, but I REALLY hope it isn't. I would sacrifice the Red Sox making the playoffs for Brady to be okay, and I LOVE the Red Sox.

MSG34
09-07-2008, 08:49 PM
As a jets fan i wanted to say i hope Brady is ok, it wont be the same going head to head against you guys without him.

took the words right out of my mouth :D

The Intimidator
09-07-2008, 08:50 PM
I'm down in the dumps...

Hendo
09-07-2008, 08:59 PM
I'm with everyone else, until I hear it from Belichick, I'm not believing anything.

He was able to walk off the field under his own strength as "The Intimidator" just said.front page of espn.com he's walking off the field... WITH assistance...

NYMETS6986
09-07-2008, 09:01 PM
maybe cassel can come out like brady did in 2001 and surprise us all, the season is not lost yet, we do play in the AFC East...

The Intimidator
09-07-2008, 09:03 PM
True...

Hendo
09-07-2008, 09:04 PM
maybe cassel can come out like brady did in 2001 and surprise us all, the season is not lost yet, we do play in the AFC East...
yea you never know! Hasn't started a regular season game since high school and failed to throw for a touchdown in 17 exhibition games. Stranger things have happend :eyebrow: like the Yankees being in 4th place in their division:cry:

The Intimidator
09-07-2008, 09:06 PM
yea you never know! Hasn't started a regular season game since high school and failed to throw for a touchdown in 17 exhibition games. Stranger things have happend :eyebrow: like the Yankees being in 4th place in their division:cry:

I'm not sure if this is sarcasm or something else, but yes, stranger things have indeed happened.

Hometeamrivals
09-07-2008, 09:18 PM
Oh how the mighty have fallen. Maybe this will give him a chance to be a father to his kid now

The Intimidator
09-07-2008, 09:21 PM
Chris Simms...:cry:

Hometeamrivals
09-07-2008, 09:21 PM
because your going to need it. :confused:

The Intimidator
09-07-2008, 09:23 PM
because your going to need it. :confused:

:rolleyes:

YankeesR#2
09-07-2008, 09:31 PM
Does anyone remember when Bledsoe was hurt and Brady sepped in.

No one knew how good he would become and the consensus was that the Patriots would do OK because Belicheck would design the offense so that he wouldn't have to do too much.

I think the same thing will happen now with Cassell. As long as the Patriots do not get any other crucial injuries they will be OK until the playoffs.

That's when we will find out about Cassell just like we found out about Brady.

The Intimidator
09-07-2008, 09:34 PM
Quite possibly...or Chris Simms.

MetsFan28
09-07-2008, 09:36 PM

Don't feel bad. This is how Brady became known. The great starting QB got hurt, and they beat up on the Jets. Let's not let it happen again.

RaiderLakersA's
09-07-2008, 09:38 PM
Does anyone remember when Bledsoe was hurt and Brady sepped in.

No one knew how good he would become and the consensus was that the Patriots would do OK because Belicheck would design the offense so that he wouldn't have to do too much.

I think the same thing will happen now with Cassell. As long as the Patriots do not get any other crucial injuries they will be OK until the playoffs.

That's when we will find out about Cassell just like we found out about Brady.

It will be interesting to see how much this changes how opponents gameplan against the Pats. With Brady the plan this year was to apply pressure and puts some licks on him. But with untested QB's, usually the plan is to take away his skill players, confuse him defensively, and see if he can beat you.

The Intimidator
09-07-2008, 09:39 PM
Maroney will have to step it up, that's for sure.

RedSox24
09-07-2008, 09:52 PM
wow either that guy is ******** or something because there has been no MRI's yet Tom Brady's MRI is scheduled for tommorrow and its on espn for you who dont believe and second of all it was a player that said to Trent Dilfer when all belicheck told the team is "when a player goes down the next guy needs to step up for the team" and third of all I highley dont think you can compare Matt Cassel to the st. Louis Rams when Trent Green went down and Kurt Warner came up and took them to the superbowl and when Drew Bledsoe got injured and Tom Brady came and made this team made them to a franchise team but Matt Cassel is highley different in style compared to Warner and Brady. I mean i could be wrong but I think the patriots need to go shopping for another QB maybe Daunte Culpepper?
Also the patriots have invited Chris Simms to go tryout for the team. (remember he was injured with a near death experience he played for TB)
we'll see what happens

The Intimidator
09-07-2008, 09:55 PM
Yeah, it doesn't look good, but a torn ACL is far from the official diagnosis. And yes, Simms is apparently being brought in for a physical.

jrice9
09-07-2008, 09:56 PM
its all over the news. It will probabally be comfirmed soon enough

The Intimidator
09-07-2008, 09:58 PM
its all over the news. It will probabally be comfirmed soon enough

But no CREDIBLE source has been cited as of yet. That's what we're waiting for.

GiantYankKnicks
09-07-2008, 10:04 PM
But no CREDIBLE source has been cited as of yet. That's what we're waiting for.

NFL.com is reporting it now

The Intimidator
09-07-2008, 10:07 PM
NFL.com is reporting it now

Yes, but he hasn't had the MRI yet. NFL.com cites Adam Schefter, but we don't know where Schefter got his information from. Until Belichick says Brady is on IR, I won't believe this speculation.

a_roid_3333
09-07-2008, 10:13 PM
this is gonna cripple my fantasy team

R3aZoN
09-07-2008, 10:14 PM
Yes, but he hasn't had the MRI yet. NFL.com cites Adam Schefter, but we don't know where Schefter got his information from. Until Belichick says Brady is on IR, I won't believe this speculation.

You're so stubborn to realize your season is over and you will be lucky to make playoffs. He has a torn ACL at best -- not to mention any extra cartilage damage. You guys are already bringing in Chris Simms tomorrow for a physical.. that should be proof enough.

29$JerZ
09-07-2008, 10:15 PM
I thought a MRI was suppoe to be revealed for tomorrow. However if he is out for the season I will say I feel ad for the Pats. Shame to lose any player to an injury, especially your franchise player. Hope for a speedy recovery if it's true.

The Intimidator
09-07-2008, 10:16 PM
You're so stubborn to realize your season is over and you will be lucky to make playoffs. He has a torn ACL at best -- not to mention any extra cartilage damage. You guys are already bringing in Chris Simms tomorrow for a physical.. that should be proof enough.

Are you a doctor? How do you know that it's a tear at best? You're the stubborn one here.

X12Celtics3
09-07-2008, 10:17 PM
The news is all over the place, chances are Brady is done. If you start to believe the stories are false, you'll most likely be disappointed. We have to hope that Matt Cassel can play the rest of the season like he played today, or we are screwed. I believe we still have a chance at a playoff run though, because of Matt's supporting cast and coaching. We will change our offense to be built around our new starting QB. To those of you who say we should pick somebody up in free agency, who? The only reasonable one I see is Joey Harrington, but I don't know if he is still available. Daunte Culpepper retired, and he wouldn't fit in our system anyway. We use pocket QB's, and Culpepper is a mobile QB with a strong arm and average accuracy. After today's game, Cassel proved that he still has lots of promise. I think we will have to get our running game together fast, to take some pressure off of the passing game. We should use lots of play action and such to keep the defense off guard.

The Intimidator
09-07-2008, 10:18 PM
The news is all over the place, chances are Brady is done. If you start to believe the stories are false, you'll most likely be disappointed. We have to hope that Matt Cassel can play the rest of the season like he played today, or we are screwed. I believe we still have a chance at a playoff run though, because of Matt's supporting cast and coaching. We will change our offense to be built around our new starting QB. To those of you who say we should pick somebody up in free agency, who? The only reasonable one I see is Joey Harrington, but I don't know if he is still available. Daunte Culpepper retired, and he wouldn't fit in our system anyway. We use pocket QB's, and Culpepper is a mobile QB with a strong arm and average accuracy. After today's game, Cassel proved that he still has lots of promise. I think we will have to get our running game together fast, to take some pressure off of the passing game. We should use lots of play action and such to keep the defense off guard.

Oh yeah, I also think we'll make the playoffs, but a super bowl run without Brady is virtually out of the question.

rcox03
09-07-2008, 10:22 PM
brady go med flighted to mass generaly and is aready there. i know some one there. he already had is MRI. so i think he is out for the year

The Intimidator
09-07-2008, 10:23 PM
He's had the MRI already?

X12Celtics3
09-07-2008, 10:24 PM
brady go med flighted to mass generaly and is aready there. i know some one there. he already had is MRI. so i think he is out for the year
Go back to school. Please. And you're saying you know the results to the MRI? I doubt it.

The Intimidator
09-07-2008, 10:26 PM
I'm not sure what to make of the fact that he's had the MRI already. Of course they want to find out exactly what's wrong with him right away, but if the results haven't been leaked yet, maybe it isn't a tear?

rcox03
09-07-2008, 10:29 PM
think about it why would they wait? if you went to the ER and was like i think i blow out my knee would..... they give you the MRI right there and then. I am not saying i know the results but he has already had it.

X12Celtics3
09-07-2008, 10:30 PM
think about it why would they wait? if you went to the ER and was like i think i blow out my knee would..... they give you the MRI right there and then. I am not saying i know the results but he has already had it.
Well why would you say he's done now if you don't have the results...

The Intimidator
09-07-2008, 10:31 PM

Right, we're just wondering why, if he's had the MRI, the results haven't been leaked yet.

rcox03
09-07-2008, 10:34 PM
i don't know man all i know is he is there and has had it that all i know thought i would share

The Intimidator
09-07-2008, 10:37 PM
Well, could you do us a favor and get as many updates as possible, please?

griff141
09-07-2008, 10:40 PM
I was at the game today, 7 rows up from the sideline, I had a good view and Brady was assisted off of the field but he was putting weight on his leg. If he's out for the season all we can do is rally around Cassel and keep fighting.

The Intimidator
09-07-2008, 10:42 PM
I was at the game today, 7 rows up from the sideline, I had a good view and Brady was assisted off of the field but he was putting weight on his leg. If he's out for the season all we can do is rally around Cassel and keep fighting.

Yeah, and hope that our defense can play well and that we get great production out of our running game.

laxtonto
09-07-2008, 10:47 PM
Ive blown my ACL playing lacrosse in college, and well, lets just say that it was what i automatically thought when i saw that video. You can walk off the field, even move around some before the swelling kicks in. Its just that the ACL is basically the stabilizing ligament in the knee and is only really noticeable when doing aggressive side to side or cutting movements. So I wouldn't read to much into the he walked off the field with help theory.

I'm more worried that its a multiple ligament injury or has caused extreme damage to the cartilage in he knee as well. Needless to say, Be hopefully optimistic that he is ready for OTA's or Training camp.

The Intimidator
09-07-2008, 10:50 PM
Well that's uplifting...

rcox03
09-07-2008, 10:54 PM
i say bring back Drew???????????

laxtonto
09-07-2008, 10:54 PM
Well that's uplifting...

Sorry man, but its best to accept it now and get it out of your system.

Hell a few years ago the Texas Tech QB played 3 or 4 games with a blown ACL including his bowl game. He was a statue in a huge knee brace, but anything is possible.

This is the worst possible news for the NFL and the Pats for opening weekend. Total Downer.

The Intimidator
09-07-2008, 10:55 PM
Sorry man, but its best to accept it now and get it out of your system.

Hell a few years ago the Texas Tech QB played 3 or 4 games with a blown ACL including his bowl game. He was a statue in a huge knee brace, but anything is possible.

This is the worst possible news for the NFL and the Pats for opening weekend. Total Downer.

Does Brady go the Merriman route?

OC Knights #11
09-07-2008, 10:57 PM
the pats are ****ed.

The Intimidator
09-07-2008, 10:58 PM
Gee, you think?

rcox03
09-07-2008, 11:00 PM
no way the will still go all the way

GSilvia
09-07-2008, 11:00 PM

absolutly not dont waste the rest of his career for one season. he is in his prime. and if it is a torn ACL. prey its not. rehab it and get him out there next year

The Intimidator
09-07-2008, 11:01 PM
Any updates, rcox?

The Intimidator
09-07-2008, 11:02 PM
absolutly not dont waste the rest of his career for one season. he is in his prime. and if it is a torn ACL. prey its not. rehab it and get him out there next year

I don't want him to, I'm just saying its possible.

laxtonto
09-07-2008, 11:05 PM

No way... Merriman is screwing his career by continuing to play. Every physician stressed he needs to have surgery NOW. Ligament injuries allow the knee joint to float, even with the amazing braces they make now a days. Every time the knee flexes in the direction it is not supposed to, it can cause more cartilage damage, bone chips, increased stress on the on the healthy ligament and off course the continued swelling, lack of flexibility, and general unstableness that makes you unsure of your movements.

There is NO WAY the Pats let Brady play. Protect the investment and get him healthy for next year.

The Intimidator
09-07-2008, 11:06 PM
No way... Merriman is screwing his career by continuing to play. Every physician stressed he needs to have surgery NOW. Ligament injuries allow the knee joint to float, even with the amazing braces they make now a days. Every time the knee flexes in the direction it is not supposed to, it can cause more cartilage damage, bone chips, increased stress on the on the healthy ligament and off course the continued swelling, lack of flexibility, and general unstableness that makes you unsure of your movements.

There is NO WAY the Pats let Brady play. Protect the investment and get him healthy for next year.

I'm not in favor of it either, just adding fuel to the fire here.

97'bulls
09-07-2008, 11:07 PM
call me crazy, but I think with our defense and rushing attack, we still gotta shot. Also how do we know Cassel can't do what Brady did when he took over for Bledsoe. We don't, Cassel sure looked good today. All he has to do is minimize turnovers and we should be fine. I think we still gotta legitimate shot.

The Intimidator
09-07-2008, 11:10 PM
call me crazy, but I think with our defense and rushing attack, we still gotta shot. Also how do we know Cassel can't do what Brady did when he took over for Bledsoe. We don't, Cassel sure looked good today. All he has to do is minimize turnovers and we should be fine. I think we still gotta legitimate shot.

Well, I still think we can go 10-6 and make the playoffs. Don't let Cassel's performance against the Chiefs fool you though. They were vastly inferior. We need Cassel and the running game to step up, and the defense as well.

rcox03
09-07-2008, 11:12 PM
add Drew and Law and we got this

The Intimidator
09-07-2008, 11:13 PM
add Drew and Law and we got this

Yeah, if this was 1996. :rolleyes:

laxtonto
09-07-2008, 11:14 PM
Not alot can be done at this point. Either look into trading for a Vet like Brad Johnson etc, signing a retred like Simms or Testicleverde or just go with what you got.

It definitely makes the AFC more interesting this year. Looks like the Colts are having problems too, Vince Young hurt his knee today, Merriman and the Chargers lost, and so did Jax. Only AFC heavyweight that looked good, won and stayed healthy was Pit. Add to the pile that Dallas's Barber has an apparent rib cartilage injury is is now questionable for next week.

Weird opening week

quiksilver2491
09-07-2008, 11:15 PM
As much as I hate the Pats and Brady this sucks. I wanted the Pats to have bready when the Jets face them, now if we win they will have an excuse :mad:

KingJamsI
09-07-2008, 11:15 PM
As if it weren't bad enough,

NFL Network's Adam Schefter reports that in addition to a torn ACL, Tom Brady may have damaged his MCL in Sunday's game.
This aligns with a Yahoo report that Brady has ligament damage aside from just the ACL. MCL damage can cause additional swelling that delays surgery, and ultimately recovery time. The Pats may opt to have Brady's knee reconstructed as soon as possible, expediting his placement on I.R.

rotoworld

The Intimidator
09-07-2008, 11:16 PM
Weird is a good choice. This is terrible. Why did this have to happen?

The Intimidator
09-07-2008, 11:18 PM

NFL Network's Adam Schefter reports that in addition to a torn ACL, Tom Brady may have damaged his MCL in Sunday's game.
This aligns with a Yahoo report that Brady has ligament damage aside from just the ACL. MCL damage can cause additional swelling that delays surgery, and ultimately recovery time. The Pats may opt to have Brady's knee reconstructed as soon as possible, expediting his placement on I.R.

rotoworld

Where is Schefter getting his info though? That's what I want to know.

laxtonto

rotoworld

DAM N

That's what my worst fear was. Hopefully its not the "unhappy triad", ACL, MCL, PCL, that Culpeper had for the Vikings...

Bad Bad news...

bulldog2683
As much as I hate the Pats and Brady this sucks. I wanted the Pats to have bready when the Jets face them, now if we win they will have an excuse :mad:

I second that, now the Raiders will play them without Brady. I do really hate Brady, but I also respect him. Cassell better not screw this up.

kyubi256
09-07-2008, 11:20 PM
i'm so sorry for you guys...

hopefully he comes back next year in good shape

The Intimidator
09-07-2008, 11:20 PM
:bang:

RockneNDIrish
09-07-2008, 11:21 PM
Patriots perhaps interested in Chris Simms?

DieHardColtsfan
09-08-2008, 12:06 AM
sad day!!! if it makes you feel slightly better Peyton didn't look to sharp either, his drop backs are extremely slow and our O-line is getting him pounded. I know you can care less about that but I'm hurting too! On a Brady note i just for once want the Patriots to be out and open about something. I feel if this injury is season ending or surgery inducing the Pats will just be secretive about it and keep the hope in you guys. They should get the public informed ASAP... No1 has any sources or insight, other than personal level convos and assumptions we don't nothing. That's the one thing i dislike about the Pats, always behind closed doors, but i guess they know as much as we do now to?

GunFactor187
09-08-2008, 12:07 AM
Man this is really unfortunate news. Get Well soon TB12!!!

BTownTeamsRKing
09-08-2008, 12:15 AM
sad day!!! if it makes you feel slightly better Peyton didn't look to sharp either, his drop backs are extremely slow and our O-line is getting him pounded. I know you can care less about that but I'm hurting too! On a Brady note i just for once want the Patriots to be out and open about something. I feel if this injury is season ending or surgery inducing the Pats will just be secretive about it and keep the hope in you guys. They should get the public informed ASAP... No1 has any sources or insight, other than personal level convos and assumptions we don't nothing. That's the one thing i dislike about the Pats, always behind closed doors, but i guess they know as much as we do now to?

the colts looked bad tonight. im completely shocked of this start of the season.

now i get why u dont like the covert ways of the Patriots, but imo a person's health is no one else's business except the person, family, and his team.

this season will be interesting for sure.

DieHardColtsfan
09-08-2008, 12:24 AM
the colts looked bad tonight. im completely shocked of this start of the season.

now i get why u dont like the covert ways of the Patriots, but imo a person's health is no one else's business except the person, family, and his team.

this season will be interesting for sure.

I think we'll be fine.. A lot of work to do though!

I say it like that b/c i feel that they wont come out and say Brady is out the year even if his leg fell off. That's not right to your fan bass.. But i understand about privacy and personal, you have a valid point and i wont argue you about it... False hope would just piss me off.. maybe i speak to soon and they will formerly address the situation further.

Cowboy4lyfe
09-08-2008, 12:29 AM
Man..that sucks..sorry to hear this. Cowboys gotta be ranked number one on most power polls now right??

BTownTeamsRKing
09-08-2008, 12:52 AM
I think we'll be fine.. A lot of work to do though!

I say it like that b/c i feel that they wont come out and say Brady is out the year even if his leg fell off. That's not right to your fan bass.. But i understand about privacy and personal, you have a valid point and i wont argue you about it... False hope would just piss me off.. maybe i speak to soon and they will formerly address the situation further.

im sure the false hope would annoy fans, but right now i see no hope of him returning this year so im not gonna be any more dissapointed than i am right now.

DieHardColtsfan
09-08-2008, 12:57 AM
im sure the false hope would annoy fans, but right now i see no hope of him returning this year so im not gonna be any more dissapointed than i am right now.

i can tell by your sig!

BTownTeamsRKing
09-08-2008, 01:06 AM
i can tell by your sig!

if we as a team and fans don't believe, then we have no chance. but right now im still eyeing that lombardi trophy.

as much as this sucks, its just a game and i think ppl need to remember to have fun with it. as much as i hate to see Brady hurt, i see this as an opportunity for this coaching staff to solidify themselves as the greatest ever by overcoming the worst case scenario.

its just a game. its entertainment and Brady being hurt will not destroy my entertainment of football.

DieHardColtsfan
09-08-2008, 01:09 AM
if we as a team and fans don't believe, then we have no chance. but right now im still eyeing that lombardi trophy.

as much as this sucks, its just a game and i think ppl need to remember to have fun with it. as much as i hate to see Brady hurt, i see this as an opportunity for this coaching staff to solidify themselves as the greatest ever by overcoming the worst case scenario.

its just a game. its entertainment and Brady being hurt will not destroy my entertainment of football.

well said! the staff has a lot on there plate!

BTownTeamsRKing
09-08-2008, 01:17 AM
thank u, its just that ppl forget its for enjoyment. thats why ppl dont follow bad teams. in sports u always gotta look at the bright side otherwise, why bother?

i think i been baptised by fire in sports dissapointments bc nothing in sports will ever get me as down as the super bowl last year.

anyways, diehardcoltsfan u r welcome on these boards anytime. fans like u are the reason i come on these boards. im out for now, see ya in week 2 which will be interesting.

DieHardColtsfan
09-08-2008, 01:22 AM
thank u, its just that ppl forget its for enjoyment. thats why ppl dont follow bad teams. in sports u always gotta look at the bright side otherwise, why bother?

i think i been baptised by fire in sports dissapointments bc nothing in sports will ever get me as down as the super bowl last year.

anyways, diehardcoltsfan u r welcome on these boards anytime. fans like u are the reason i come on these boards. im out for now, see ya in week 2 which will be interesting.

yeah we've had some good great convo's i enjoy talking sports with people who appreciate the sport for what it is a hobby and something to look forward to. Im outta here to, till next time!

DreamShaker
09-08-2008, 01:41 AM
As a Rockets fan I feel for you guys....when Yao went out I was pretty dang bummed....I mean.....it's only sports but as passionate fans stuff like this really is a bummer.....

nstojic
09-08-2008, 01:56 AM
hey guys, good luck on the upcoming year.. all the way this year... oh... wait...

Patsfan56
09-08-2008, 01:59 AM
Well, as much as this sucks let's see what Cassell can do.

Hopefully he can show us what BB must have seen in him all along.

cocossox
09-08-2008, 03:21 AM
He is having an MRI Monday until I hear the results from it I'm still hoping,,,as for Chris Simms...imo whatever!

bucksbeat
09-08-2008, 04:28 AM
Wow, bad news.

Hopefully the MRI goes well. If the ACL's torn, the Pats already know. Doctor's would have diagnosed it with the Lachman's test/Pivot Shift test.

The MRI will just show you everything that is wrong with the knee.

DaaBoTownSox
09-08-2008, 06:29 AM
This type of injury can be nagging though, even after surgery. He may come back next year, and not be the same. It's almost comparible to Tommy John surgery in the MLB. Not a lot of pitchers come back after that, and when they do they aren't the same as before.

DaaBoTownSox
09-08-2008, 06:31 AM
I don't know if anyone has posted this yet (as I didn't read the whole thread), but they seem to be looking at Chris Simms & Joey Harrington.

moneyball
09-08-2008, 06:47 AM
You're so stubborn to realize your season is over and you will be lucky to make playoffs. He has a torn ACL at best -- not to mention any extra cartilage damage. You guys are already bringing in Chris Simms tomorrow for a physical.. that should be proof enough.What is your first language?

ERLynx
09-08-2008, 08:53 AM
Nobody's mentioned O'Connell. I know he's a rookie, but he's a 3rd round pick that is expected to be the starter some day. Does he get any reps now?

bagwell368
09-08-2008, 09:17 AM
No way the Pats are out of anything. They have a better team then they did in '01 when Bledsoe went down. The Colts are in a down cycle. SD has injuries hanging over the two key players on the team. Right now Dallas and someone like the Jags and Pitt appear to be the teams to beat. Pats can beat them.

Any QB's being added will be "system" type QB's. They will not sign anybody that runs first and reads/thinks second. If they do add a QB, he won't play for some weeks if at all. The D is going to be stout, and the Pats may set franchise rushing records for carries and yards. Expect the QB's to average less then 22 throws per game. Smash mouth time.

I can't see O'Connell seeing the field unless Cassel goes down before the 3rd QB is ready to go. Not an appetizing idea.

IndiansFan337
09-08-2008, 09:54 AM
This is terrible news. Now I must rely on Matt Schaub in my money fantasy league. :speechless:

But now the AFC is wide open again.

Playoff teams(no particular order):
1. Colts
2. Steelers
3. Patriots
4. Chargers
5. Jaguars
6. Jets

BTownTeamsRKing
09-08-2008, 09:54 AM
To, Pretty Bird or watever ur stupid name is.

get out...go back to some loser california football team that will still lose to the Patriots even without Brady.

take some lessons in class from the Colts fan above because u have no class at all and fans like u take the fun out of the game.

anyways im looken forward to the newest challenge to this franchise. its gonna be a lot fun being the underdogs and we still have a Great TEAM around Cassel.

u gotta BELIEVE!

rcox03
09-08-2008, 10:00 AM
We won before with a back up QB......Who was Brady. I think they can do it again. If the D steps it up we will be fine. Bring back Law, Lynch, and Seau. We will just have to shutdown people down with a strong D.

ERLynx
09-08-2008, 10:08 AM
I agree with BTown. It may be fun to be underdogs again. for the past few years, everyone has hated the Pats because they won everything. Now at least there's some drama.

Trying to delude myself. Trying to delude myself. Trying to delude myself...

cali72888
09-08-2008, 10:29 AM
they have a better team then they did in 01 without brady? i think not.
colts are not in a down cycle, harrison is healed and will be great this season.
ide rather have my linebacker go down then my star qb.
and pats will not beat pitt or dallas without brady, no way.
pats are done being the big dogs, giants exposed their weakness and brady has gotten hurt because of it. all you have to do is blitz the pats and they will fold.
you still thinking the pats are the team to beat is very single minded, accept that your team is going south without brady, and stop being an ignorant pats fan with the idea that your team will win reguardless who is at qb.

cali72888
09-08-2008, 10:32 AM
To, Pretty Bird or watever ur stupid name is.

get out...go back to some loser california football team that will still lose to the Patriots even without Brady.

take some lessons in class from the Colts fan above because u have no class at all and fans like u take the fun out of the game.

anyways im looken forward to the newest challenge to this franchise. its gonna be a lot fun being the underdogs and we still have a Great TEAM around Cassel.

u gotta BELIEVE!

ill believe that when i see it, from here on out the pats are an average team....just wait until moss goes three games without a td then we will have a show to watch.

ERLynx
09-08-2008, 10:41 AM
they have a better team then they did in 01 without brady? i think not.
colts are not in a down cycle, harrison is healed and will be great this season.
ide rather have my linebacker go down then my star qb.
and pats will not beat pitt or dallas without brady, no way.
pats are done being the big dogs, giants exposed their weakness and brady has gotten hurt because of it. all you have to do is blitz the pats and they will fold.
you still thinking the pats are the team to beat is very single minded, accept that your team is going south without brady, and stop being an ignorant pats fan with the idea that your team will win reguardless who is at qb.

you should probably be an nfl coach.

Favre Support
09-08-2008, 10:55 AM
All (honest) best wishes for a fast recovery to TB at first.

And after all, the remaining "talent" (what a word for this crowd of guys) is far good enough to play a good role this season. Wish you guys all the best except for the Jets games. ;)

Kinzpga
09-08-2008, 11:04 AM

I've got to call this out as BS.

The Pats have an MRI machine in Gillette Stadium. So there would be no point to take him to the hospital.

I've torn my ACL also, an MRI will not revel anything until the swelling goes down. Unless they are completley blown up, which I fear the ACL and MCL are.

:speechless:

SeoulBeatz
09-08-2008, 01:06 PM
Sup pat fans?

just wanna drop by and share my take on this situation (im an Eagles fan btw)

I hate the Patriots, (cus they cheated) but were punished for it, so thats fine. Last year was no fluke though, and 18-1 was quite a spectacle cus ur offense was explosive as any ive ever seen.

All that aside, I know what its like to lose ur starting QB after a superbowl loss (it happened to McNabb in 05). Its gonna be a tough road ahead. The Eagles had a great team in 05, but things just fell apart. Without ur starting QB (let alone one of the best in the league) ur gonna struggle.

And McNAbb is finally just getting back to normal after three years of rehabbing his legs after 1 damn injury. It sucks. So im just gonna tell u guys to hang in there, **** will get better, but probably not this season, and who knows if next season Brady will be same old Brady.

Id sign Culpepper and see if he and Moss could recreate that chemistry they had in minnesota a few years back. Simms just doesnt cut it in my book, i dont think he can handle the pressure of being the NE qb.

but peace guys and good luck

Brooke
09-08-2008, 01:10 PM
this really sucks. I love Brady and I hate that this happened to him. I hope he has a fast recovery.

I am rooting for the Patriots and hope everything works out for everyone

CubsRule08
09-08-2008, 02:12 PM
Hearing this news sucks, and i hope everything works out with Cassel or a QB you decide to sign (Simms/Culpepper/Rattay)

Crickr
09-08-2008, 03:12 PM
Fins how about gettinf some class.

Crickr
09-08-2008, 03:13 PM
Its official BB just anounced it .

ccugrad1
09-08-2008, 03:18 PM
I am a Jet fan and believe me, there is still plenty in New England for the rest of the AFC East and AFC to be worried about, even without Brady.

airjesus50
09-08-2008, 03:20 PM
I'm a Cowboys fan we were going to win the super bowl anyways but this is some bad news for the Patriots

ERLynx
09-08-2008, 03:24 PM
Damn.

Just, damn.

cmoneytakemoney
09-08-2008, 03:27 PM
I'm a Cowboys fan we were going to win the super bowl anyways but this is some bad news for the Patriots

The Cowboys would never make it past the Eagles. The Patriots honestly still have a better chance than the Cowboys do of winning a Super Bowl.

ERLynx
09-08-2008, 03:33 PM
The Cowboys would never make it past the Eagles. The Patriots honestly still have a better chance than the Cowboys do of winning a Super Bowl.

We will see Monday night. I think it depends on whether or not Barber plays. If not, Phila has a great chance. But with him, and with the Eagles receivers hurting, it will be tight. Don't forget STL has a terrible defense. My pick to win the Super Bowl is now Dallas and I like Pittsburgh too.

So depressing.

ripjhb18
09-08-2008, 03:44 PM
This really sux and to me makes the NFL in general less interesting as I wanted to see how many games the Pats could win following th 16-0 year.

Really hope Cassel can play solid enough so the Jets dont win the division(I hate Brett Farve)
Someone mentioned Cullpeppers knee but also Carson Palmer hurt his knee and came back so hopefully Tom can do the same

SEAN21REDSKINS
09-08-2008, 03:47 PM
cheaters never prosper???

celticfan
09-08-2008, 03:49 PM
It is official. Chris Simms possible

ProPoster
09-08-2008, 03:59 PM
I just hope that he comes back and can still play at the same level.

Crickr
09-08-2008, 04:04 PM
SEAN21REDSKINS go find another site to play in you aren't wanted here.

DieHardColtsfan
09-08-2008, 04:24 PM
honestly, i know this may be the roughest news you Pats fans have to deal with, but i'm actually suprised the announcement was made. I really felt Bellicheck was going to cover up and sugar coat it and give the Fans false hopes and possibly keep there opponents on there toes with a possible Brady return. Yet i was wrong and the statements were made. Look on the bright side, the word is out and the "move on" aspect is intimate, now go and take care of business and get back to football, last time i checked your 1-0, thats more than i can say about my team. Theres no false hope for the fans and i respect that from Bill.

vdv36
09-08-2008, 04:34 PM
Though Lost.........good luck guys...

Crickr
09-08-2008, 04:52 PM
I must say that there are way more people coming here to say good words about Tom and the Pats vs the ones that have no class. I for one want to thank all of you who have stopped at this site and showed the class that most football fans do have.I don't know what will happen to the team for the rest of the year I am sure they will all play as hard as possible and try to win as many games as they can. I wish I could say that they are contenders but I would only be fooling myself to think that . BB will do what is right for the team and I will still be rooting for the home team to win so all of you out there watch out lol. Seroiusly good luck to all the teams out there but remember the Pats are not dead just down right now.

cocossox
09-08-2008, 05:34 PM
I am amazed at how much hate Tom Brady & the team as a whole gets...no class at all...Tom Brady is a winner botton line u guys must be jelous of a winner with class...imo Brady is the face of the NFL, I actually read some coments here that said "he deserved to get hurt" U are kidding me right? u people that think that should be ashamed of yourselves...:mad::mad::mad:

The Intimidator
09-08-2008, 06:49 PM
People who are legitimately happy that Brady went down are lowlifes, end of story. People who are legitimately happy when any player gets seriously injured need to have their heads examined. And they should watch their backs, because it can always happen to one of their players.

ERLynx
09-08-2008, 07:16 PM
You know what I was just thinking about? This may be weird, but as a Pats fan last year, every week, all I said before every game was "please dont let brady get hurt. i dont care what happens but please dont let him get hurt." and now, like, it's difficult to explain, but now that it's happened, it's like all the pressure is off.

Does anyone know what I mean?

With all that pressure, I could never really enjoy a win. It was like, when they won I would exhale a sigh of relief, but I was always on edge.

Now, there are no expectations. And that's not something I expected. Or wanted. But maybe it can end up being cool, too.

Does that make any sense?

Snydesdale
09-08-2008, 07:48 PM
If you come here to bash Pats fans that Brady is done for the year then your not a football fan. everyone wants to see the best player, now teams will miss his magic his amazement and the manning brady rivalry. Get Well Tom.

The Intimidator
09-08-2008, 08:51 PM
You know what I was just thinking about? This may be weird, but as a Pats fan last year, every week, all I said before every game was "please dont let brady get hurt. i dont care what happens but please dont let him get hurt." and now, like, it's difficult to explain, but now that it's happened, it's like all the pressure is off.

Does anyone know what I mean?

With all that pressure, I could never really enjoy a win. It was like, when they won I would exhale a sigh of relief, but I was always on edge.

Now, there are no expectations. And that's not something I expected. Or wanted. But maybe it can end up being cool, too.

Does that make any sense?

It does, actually.

Jeremy5150
09-09-2008, 03:25 PM
Brady has had nagging injuries for years now. Maybe he needs this year off and rest his shoulder and foot...and knee. He has a LOT of football left in him, and will come back as the TB we all know...