PDA

View Full Version : Talented Stars who were great but sometimes are overlooked

Lakersfan2483
09-07-2008, 06:14 AM
Dominique Wilkins-Let off of the Dream Team. Nique was an explosive scorer and in his prime averaged over 30 points per game. Nique never really got the credit he deserved because he played on average teams.

Adrian Dantley-He was finally voted in the Hall of Fame. He scored 30 pts. per game for the Jazz for 4 straight seasons. He was an extremely talented player who was under the radar for yrs.

Pistol Pete Maravich-He was a great player and added so much flare to the game of basketball, I don't think people realize just how good this guy was. Check out his college numbers and NBA numbers for that matter.

Isaiah Thomas-I think people give him credit, but don't understand just how difficult it was for him to lead Detroit to 2 straight titles. In one year, he beat the mighty Celtics led by Larry Bird, he beat the Bulls with MJ and the Lakers with Magic. A truly great player, who is definitely a top 3 point guard of all time.

Any thoughts on guys who can be added to this list?

Yogi
09-07-2008, 08:35 AM
Caron Butler

DerekRE_3
09-07-2008, 12:54 PM
Geoff Petrie. He was money until he got hurt and was forced to retire. He averaged 25 ppg his rookie year but injuries slowed him down. Averaged 22 ppg as a 6'4 guard in his career.

Aapox
09-07-2008, 01:13 PM
Patrick Ewing gets pretty overlooked because of the Bulls/Rockets 90's pwnage. He's still recognized as a great player, but think if the Knicks were the dominant team for even half the decade.

A LOT of people get overlooked in the 90's really..

Hawkeye15
09-07-2008, 04:14 PM
Bernard King, Alex English, Reggie Miller, Gary Payton, Mitch Richmond, Robert Parrish are a few that come to mind.

Lakersfan2483
09-07-2008, 04:27 PM
Bernard King, Alex English, Reggie Miller, Gary Payton, Mitch Richmond, Robert Parrish are a few that come to mind.

Good List. Richmond, King, and English are definitely guys that don't get the recognition they deserve.

Lakersfan2483
09-07-2008, 04:30 PM
How about Terry Cummings, Buck Willams, Dennis Rodman, all really talented power forwards that don't get enough credit. Also, Otis Thorpe was a very solid player.

barreleffact
09-08-2008, 06:56 AM
jay williams...jp....mike james:)

Chronz
09-08-2008, 07:42 AM
Clyde and Mitch Ritch

LakerzDQ
09-08-2008, 08:08 AM

I agree with most. I think Miller gets some recognition, Payton and Parish sometimes gets a little recognition, but Richmond, King, English are overlooked alot, and rarely talked about.

innovator
09-08-2008, 10:12 AM
tom gugliotta

scrumptiousduck
09-08-2008, 10:25 AM
has to be mad dog madson

and dan isle

$ NyC $
09-08-2008, 10:49 AM
Eddy Curry..the best center ever...

but on a more serious note..

Big "O"...he averaged a triple-double yet isn't a household name

dick butane
09-08-2008, 11:40 AM
Tim Hardaway.

Sixerlover
09-08-2008, 11:55 AM
I agree with the Bernard King people.

GregOden#1
09-08-2008, 12:00 PM
Dominique really wasn't underrated, if anything he was overrated when he played. Everybody remembers him because he was a great dunker, and even though he was a great player many of his contemporaries were better, Bernard King and Adrian Dantley played in the same era and many dont even remember them.

Another bunch of guys is everybody on the Milwaukee Bucks of the early 80's, Cummings, Moncrief, Pressey, Lanier especially (even though he only played his last years there). Hodges was a really great roleplayer

DreamShaker
09-08-2008, 12:06 PM
Kevin Johnson and Mark Price....

Faneik
09-08-2008, 12:18 PM
Tom Chambers

mosdef17
09-08-2008, 12:28 PM
Scottie Pippen lived in Jordans shadow but was a Brilliant player...

GCOOKIE7
09-08-2008, 01:06 PM
Damon Stoudamire

agnine
09-08-2008, 06:34 PM
Michael Cooper, Ron Harper, Kevin Johnson, Larry Johnson, Artis Gilmore, K.C. Jones, Sam Jones, Joe Dumars. This list is almost impossible to complete. There were/are so many good and great players that get overlooked due to media hype and bias.

JMKnick33
09-08-2008, 06:43 PM
I'd have to say Michael Jordan. Nobody really knows how good he was..lol JK!

On a serious note...if I had to name one player..it would be Anthony Mason.

He was a force in the paint alongside Oakley and Ewing, yet nobody really appreciated what he did and what he was capable of doing. He could handle the ball, play elite defense, grab boards, and bang with the bigs on a nightly basis.

He was overlooked since we had Ewing, Oakley, Starks, and Houston stealing all the spotlight.

Hawkeye15
09-08-2008, 06:47 PM
Scottie Pippen lived in Jordans shadow but was a Brilliant player...

as good as he was, I consider him overrated. I don't think he belongs in the top 50 players.

Hawkeye15
09-08-2008, 06:48 PM
I'd have to say Michael Jordan. Nobody really knows how good he was..lol JK!

On a serious note...if I had to name one player..it would be Anthony Mason.

He was a force in the paint alongside Oakley and Ewing, yet nobody really appreciated what he did and what he was capable of doing. He could handle the ball, play elite defense, grab boards, and bang with the bigs on a nightly basis.

He was overlooked since we had Ewing, Oakley, Starks, and Houston stealing all the spotlight.

total homer pick, but was their anything more frightening that Mason leading the break? He looked like a fullback, knocking people over, spinning around and almost falling over, and somehow, it worked a lot of the time.

greg_ory_2005
09-08-2008, 06:48 PM
Alex English

Hawkeye15
09-08-2008, 06:49 PM
Alex English

I already said him, but yeah, for sure.

Hurricane Chise
09-08-2008, 07:12 PM
I definitely co-sign the Bernard King people. As well as Glenn Rice, Bob Pettit, and of course the Big O.

Hawkeye15
09-08-2008, 07:15 PM
Zo, Mark Jackson, Chris Mullin, Finley, Ainge, a few more

#1Mavericksfan
09-08-2008, 07:46 PM
Nick Van Exel, Eddie Jones, Glen Rice, Jamal Mashburn just to name a few.

njnets
09-08-2008, 09:00 PM
kevin johnson. he was so good yet there were players that were just insanely better than everyone that he gets left out sometimes.

nickymintz
09-08-2008, 09:18 PM
Willis Reed

Lakersfan2483
09-08-2008, 09:29 PM
Dominique really wasn't underrated, if anything he was overrated when he played. Everybody remembers him because he was a great dunker, and even though he was a great player many of his contemporaries were better, Bernard King and Adrian Dantley played in the same era and many dont even remember them.

Another bunch of guys is everybody on the Milwaukee Bucks of the early 80's, Cummings, Moncrief, Pressey, Lanier especially (even though he only played his last years there). Hodges was a really great roleplayer

A lot of people don't remember Moncrief, Cummings, Pressey and Lanier, but they were all terrific players. The Bucks had a solid team. I remember a guy by the name of Jack Sikma, he was an all-star center. He was solid as well.

Lakersfan2483
09-08-2008, 09:32 PM

Bernard King was an explosive scorer for the Knicks, I remember hearing Bird say, the best thing about beating New York, "We don't have to play against B. King anymore." lol. King was a scoring machine.

Lakersfan2483
09-08-2008, 09:35 PM
Kevin Johnson and Mark Price....

Those were two great point guards esp. Kevin Johnson. I remember KJ in a game 7 against Houston, he had about 42 pts. He also had one of the best dunks I have seen in terms of, in game dunks. KJ went baseline and dunked on Hakeem, the dunk was nasty!!! KJ definitely should be in the hall of fame. A great point guard.

M. Price was a solid point guard, great at running a team and his outside shot was pure. He was always ranked in the top of the league in terms of assists, free throw shooting and 3 point shooting.

MTar786
09-08-2008, 09:39 PM
baron davis, scottie pippen, mitch richmond, d-wilkins,

wh4Lo0p5
09-08-2008, 09:44 PM
.. jamal mashburn ..
.. mookie blayock ..
.. steve smith ..
.. voshon lenard ..
.. hersey hawkins ..

JordansBulls
09-08-2008, 10:09 PM
Dominique Wilkins-Let off of the Dream Team. Nique was an explosive scorer and in his prime averaged over 30 points per game. Nique never really got the credit he deserved because he played on average teams.

Adrian Dantley-He was finally voted in the Hall of Fame. He scored 30 pts. per game for the Jazz for 4 straight seasons. He was an extremely talented player who was under the radar for yrs.

Pistol Pete Maravich-He was a great player and added so much flare to the game of basketball, I don't think people realize just how good this guy was. Check out his college numbers and NBA numbers for that matter.

Isaiah Thomas-I think people give him credit, but don't understand just how difficult it was for him to lead Detroit to 2 straight titles. In one year, he beat the mighty Celtics led by Larry Bird, he beat the Bulls with MJ and the Lakers with Magic. A truly great player, who is definitely a top 3 point guard of all time.

Any thoughts on guys who can be added to this list?

I don't think any of them are overlooked. Guys that are overlooked are Dennis Johnson, Rick Barry and Bernard King

BowDown32
09-08-2008, 10:13 PM
Oscar Robertson... just cuz he played in that era ppl still overlook him... triple double king!

GregOden#1
09-08-2008, 10:19 PM
If anything Oscar was overrated, his stats look pretty but his defense was only above average and his intangibles for the most part werent up to par with alot of his contemporaries. Had he been born 30 years later he would've done alot better, but an expressive guy like that was bound to have spiteful ownership in the 60s.