PDA

View Full Version : Question to how FIBA works?

S.J.Basketball
09-07-2008, 04:16 AM
I notice a lot of NBA players who are from other countries are going back to play in FIBA during the NBA off-season and I think that's pretty cool actually. I love Andris Biedrins and just saw him have a BEASTLY game of 30 points and 22 rebounds.

My question is: How does this work? With players contracted in the NBA ho are they able to go overseas and play for other teams? Just curious as to how this works that's all.

JWalk126
09-07-2008, 05:31 AM
do you mean the FIBA EuroBasket prelims?

its like some of the American players playing for Team USA in the FIBA Americas

S.J.Basketball
09-08-2008, 12:15 AM
So there's no committments then? When does FIBA end anyhow?

GunFactor187
09-08-2008, 12:38 AM
My question about FIBA is that why are they adopting so much of the NBA's rules; I think it's a lot better if they stay the way they are and have their own separate identity.

JWalk126
09-08-2008, 12:58 AM
So there's no committments then? When does FIBA end anyhow?

there is a level of commitment. some recent draftees arent so committed to it, for example, Kostas Koufus is focusing on his NBA development. and sometimes the teams the players play for when not for the NTs, dont allow them to play. sometimes it all depends on the player or team. there are factors such as injury prone players, tiredness, and other stuff.

the prelims are just for the month of September... the 1st place team in each group automatically advances to the EuroBasket in 2011. some of the teams will play in Poland next summer for a spot.

My question about FIBA is that why are they adopting so much of the NBA's rules; I think it's a lot better if they stay the way they are and have their own separate identity.

here is an excerpt from an article I posted a couple of months ago on the forum (because I dont know how to say it in my own words)

Indeed, upon recommendation of the FIBA Technical Commission (a group of experts that deal with the game rules), the FIBA Central Board has approved today several amendments to the Official Basketball Rules.

The recommendations by the FIBA Technical Commission and the decisions taken by the Central Board were strived by the attempt to further unify all existing game rules and to have, in the future, only one set of rules for the game of basketball worldwide.
http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/news/lateNews/p/newsid/24352/arti.html

S.J.Basketball
09-08-2008, 01:07 AM
Ahh ty for the info man. Answers some questions I had.

JWalk126
09-11-2008, 04:41 AM
most of it is just my opinion, I could be wrong about some things

JWalk126
10-03-2008, 02:04 AM
Not sure where to ask this but where do you find rosters for this. I'm interested in seeing how many former college players I know in the leagues

in the regular leagues or in the European title leagues like the Euroleague or Eurocup?

there are other Euro competition leagues, but I dont remember what theyre called

JWalk126
10-03-2008, 02:11 AM
you could search for names on eurobasket.com

but have to pay to see their profiles

but here are the current rosters + transactions of teams in the Euroleague:
http://www.euroleague.net/euroleaguenews/signings/2008-signings

players in the EuroCup:
http://www.euroleague.net/ulebcup/home/on-court/players

JWalk126
10-03-2008, 02:16 AM
and in case youre wondering, JP Batista (Gonzaga) is in France

JWalk126