PDA

View Full Version : Do u think the NBA should make an expansion team for Mexico?

MiamiHeatWade33
09-06-2008, 06:18 AM
what do u think? i bet they would do it for the city of Mexico City in the Country of Mexico.

bigmac8675
09-06-2008, 06:21 AM
No... why mexico if you don't mind me asking? Why not just have on overseas in Europe somewhere? I am sure it would be a much greater success there than in Mexico.

LakerzDQ
09-06-2008, 06:59 AM
No... why mexico if you don't mind me asking? Why not just have on overseas in Europe somewhere? I am sure it would be a much greater success there than in Mexico.

great idea!

yeah. European teams flying 8+ hours to get from home to road games. great idea. would be a great success, if the players don't break down within the first 2 weeks of the season.

$ NyC $
09-06-2008, 07:42 AM
yea we can't really do that...but Mexico is near by so it could be a possibility...but i don't think they would be able 2 really support an NBA team

rico
09-06-2008, 09:37 AM
i thought mexicans only played Juan on Juan basketball. XD

:rimshot:

sorry im mexican and i love that joke. anyway i think it would be a good idea, but i dont know any cities besides mexico city that it would even be ok, and even there its pretty dirty in a lot of places.

give them another option because in mexico the main sport is soccer, be cool though if nba took off more.
another problem would be that it could be pretty taxing on the players thats a long flight for anyone more northern.

Yogi
09-06-2008, 09:46 AM
There's places in the United States (Seattle, St. Louis, Norfolk, Louisville, San Diego, Kansas City) that could use a team more then Mexico.

BALLER71
09-06-2008, 09:47 AM
LOL.
Juan on Juan.

Yes I think that's a great Idea, and I would think that it would be a huge success. Have you seen their packed soccer stadiums?

njnets
09-06-2008, 11:39 AM
There's places in the United States (Seattle, St. Louis, Norfolk, Louisville, San Diego, Kansas City) that could use a team more then Mexico.

where is that lol. and i thought golden state was in san diego. guess im wrong. st louis and seattle though, those would and are 2 great places for a team to land.

madiaz3
09-06-2008, 11:47 AM

the logistics of it is just much more convenient for mexico

MiamiHeat
09-06-2008, 11:51 AM
No, maybe New Mexico

Ph1lly Diehard
09-06-2008, 11:53 AM
where is that lol. and i thought golden state was in san diego. guess im wrong. st louis and seattle though, those would and are 2 great places for a team to land.

Virginia

JIDsanity
09-06-2008, 11:54 AM
No

JIDsanity
09-06-2008, 11:55 AM
Virginia

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Yogi
09-06-2008, 12:05 PM
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

I wouldn't root for them, too attached to the Wizards, but that area needs a team of some kind.

_Sn1P3r_
09-06-2008, 12:49 PM

sorry im mexican and i love that joke. anyway i think it would be a good idea, but i dont know any cities besides mexico city that it would even be ok, and even there its pretty dirty in a lot of places.

give them another option because in mexico the main sport is soccer, be cool though if nba took off more.
another problem would be that it could be pretty taxing on the players thats a long flight for anyone more northern.

Lmao nice one.

$ NyC $
09-06-2008, 12:50 PM

haha that was a good 1

superkegger
09-06-2008, 08:36 PM
No, no one would want to play in Mexico. Mexico City is sinkhole. Few if any NBA players would be wanting to play in Mexico. Mexico produces nearly no NBA talent, and there are better markets within the US to place a team.

SAVAGE CLAW
09-06-2008, 08:48 PM
Mexico is near enough, is the Biggest city in the WORLD, by Extension and Population, would be a GREAT market and could use some Classy name as Aztecs.

Of course you have to make sure NJ leaves Eduardo Najera free for the expansion draft.

And about leaving there, well when you have THAT kind of MONEY you live well ANYWHERE in the world.

And as far as i know players have NO SAY in where they play in the NBA they just get drafted or traded and have no say.

rico
09-06-2008, 09:00 PM
-^ aztecs = DOPE name.

my #1 choice for a new city would be Vegas. Theyd sell out like every night i bet.

but yeah im feeling mexico city aztecs :P dunno what players would like to actually live there though - coors would be easy red , white, green. with an eagle mascot. he could run around with snakes in his hands. lol.

ShaunRiching9
09-06-2008, 09:08 PM
no thanks
but nice joke Rico haha

zamudio_jorge
09-06-2008, 09:14 PM
im mexican and live in mexico.

one guy say mexico cant support a nba team thats wrong of course mexico can support a team but that never going to happen. the salaries of soccer players are very high.

mexico have one of the richest man in the world (carlos slim) and the owner
of chivas usa and chivas guadalajara have and idea to create a league of basketball like the europeans (with soccer clubnames). but a nba team would be great in the north of mexico we love basketball and baseball more than soccer (chihuahua, nuevo leon, sinaloa, baja california, sonora)

if one city of mexico can take a nba team that is Monterrey (near to USA) and they can play in Arena Monterrey.

http://www.arenamonterrey.com/wtweb/web_page/

Monterrey got 2 soccer teams, one baseball team, one basketball team.

in conclution monterrey can be a good option in the future but i dont think the americans want a nba team in mexico.

GSW fan
09-06-2008, 09:44 PM
how bout a third la team

MiamiHeat
09-06-2008, 09:48 PM
Nvm :)

fins08
09-06-2008, 09:48 PM
What player would sign in Mexico City? That team would never do good. Sorry.

PRETTY BIRD
09-06-2008, 10:18 PM
yes...

theimortalone
09-06-2008, 10:20 PM
No I do not see it happening.

kjfan
09-06-2008, 10:27 PM
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please no!!!!!!!!!

jwillgv
09-06-2008, 10:28 PM
I dont think so, I mean they already have the lakers/clippers,kings and warriors. Why do they need another...oh wait... you mean the other Mexico :/

kntresistheheat
09-06-2008, 10:35 PM
I heard that texas is coming out with 3 more expansion teams?:confused: Anyways they dont know where to store them, So they were talking about for one of the teams to share it with mexico and the franchise name would be 'TEXACANO BURO':eyebrow: and there mascott would be a donkey!

G-Funk
09-06-2008, 11:02 PM
If canada has one I can see mexico having one with no problem,astecs will be a nice name, atleast better then thunder or clippers

RoyalG333
09-06-2008, 11:06 PM
not enough financial support for it. I dont think there will be enough people who would go to 41 games to support them. You never know though. I like the idea but not sure if its possible.

Europe will be cool but they would have to figure out faster transportation. Maybe when we can travel at the speed the light.

Apophis
09-06-2008, 11:07 PM
what do u think? i bet they would do it for the city of Mexico City in the Country of Mexico.

Puerto Rico would get a team before Mexico does..

Hawkeye15
09-07-2008, 04:57 PM
as long as the $$$ gets back to the American owners, sure. Mexico gets enough money out of the US.

JJ81
09-07-2008, 05:19 PM
30 teams is enough, but I wouldn't mind a team moving to a North Mexican City.

Lord Leoshes
09-07-2008, 09:17 PM
If they are going to make a team in south America, why not go to were the best latin American basketball players are at, in Argentina.
& no, am not Argentinien. I was bourn in NY, & my familly was from Cuba.
The thing about South America is, do they heve the money to support an NBA franchis? Not to meantion the issue of security for the players.

SAVAGE CLAW
09-07-2008, 10:52 PM
Cant Believe all the racism im reading.

Oh for Cuba you can be sure that once the old bearded man Dies for good and Habana becomes once again Americans whorehouse they would be avalilable to put franchises there im mostly sure that they will get a MLB one as soon as its possible.

I think Puerto Rico would make a lot of sense.

What About Hawaii?

Kyben36
09-08-2008, 12:06 AM
Not one bit of chance. Can you name one Mexican player, Besides Barnes, who is good. I know I cant. There would be almost no fan base there. There are plenty of other areas that deserve a team much more than Mexico. Seatle for one. Las Vagas. P.R. Alaska. Hawai. ext

Bosh=nextKG
09-08-2008, 12:26 AM
where is that lol. and i thought [FONT="golden state was in san diego[/FONT]. guess im wrong. st louis and seattle though, those would and are 2 great places for a team to land.

Golden State refers to California. sorry man but that cracked me up. ANd the Warriors play in Oakland, which is in Cali,hence Golden State. And I think that the NBA should stick to the U.S. We have the olympics for a reason. We wouldn't mind a team here in SF, but i think that Baltimore could use a basketball team too.

zamudio_jorge
09-08-2008, 01:17 AM
OMG i cant believe what i read everybody need to do some research and stop seeing mexico like your directors put in the movies.

Monterrey is a big city with a lot of people and more important with a lot of money.

all you guys say is cant support cant cant cant cant.

i repeat do some research and stop make your opinions if you dont know.

imagine a nba salary in mexico thats better for a player he can get more for less money. house food etc etc.

-_____-"

SAVAGE CLAW
09-08-2008, 01:30 AM
Racism steryotipes nationalistic pride and Prejudice is deeply implanted it seems.

God saves us, if this is a little dose on americans Opinion.... Mcain already won. :(

willie84
09-08-2008, 01:43 AM
It'd be a bad idea. No racism. I live in a border city to Mexico. I myself am hispanic. There is too much going on in Mexico. I'd rather see Canada with a team, but in all honesty I would like to see more teams in the states.

IndyRealist
09-08-2008, 02:08 PM
New York to Mexico City is the same amount of time as New York to LA (~6hrs). LA to Puerto Rico is almost 10hrs, not including layovers. I don't see PR being feasible. Mexico City or Monterrey (5hrs), however, seem reasonable. People who say that players won't want to play in Mexico, that Mexico won't have the fan base, etc. probably said the same things about Toronto. Or Oklahoma City. And if it doesn't work, the team can just up and move to a US city, I mean the Grizzlies pulled out of Vancouver pretty quickly. I hear Seattle's got an opening.

(Approximate air times from Cheaptickets.com)

ugottabjoshinme
09-08-2008, 02:11 PM
If they are going to make a team in south America, why not go to were the best latin American basketball players are at, in Argentina.
& no, am not Argentinien. I was bourn in NY, & my familly was from Cuba.
The thing about South America is, do they heve the money to support an NBA franchis? Not to meantion the issue of security for the players.

Mexico is in North America, I cant really see putting a team on another continent, the travel would be way too hard.

mitch91
09-08-2008, 02:32 PM
can i just ask how would they get players?? like would they have to just take free agents or would something else happen? can somebody answer me please. thanks

ugottabjoshinme
09-08-2008, 02:41 PM
i would assume that there would be an expansion draft. In that case, current teams would only be able to hold some number of players, and the others would be available to draft. the new team would then pick players and get the highest chances of winning the amerature draft lottery

IndyRealist
09-08-2008, 03:02 PM
When Charlotte was added to the NBA, each team was allowed to protect 8 signed players/restricted free agents. Restricted free agents chosen became unrestricted. The rest were eligible to be taken by the expansion team. The Bobcats were then given the #4 pick in the NBA draft that offseason.

It is interesting to note that the Bobcats were able to select unprotected Jason Kapono, Zaza Pachulia, Sasha Pavlovic and Gerald Wallace. They traded their #4 pick for the #2 pick and agreed to select the Clippers' Predrag Drobnjak, instead of unprotected players Chris Kaman or Matt Barnes.

http://www.insidehoops.com/nba-expansion-rules.shtml

fhatmanz
09-08-2008, 04:57 PM
Cancun or Cabo?

zamudio_jorge
09-08-2008, 06:04 PM
No. Just No! Why the hell would any NBA player want to play in Mexico? Mexico!?!? And the #1 college prospect out of Duke gets drafted by...yes...thats right folks...THE MEXICO CITY CUCARACHAS!! WOW! Gimmie a break man.

San Diego would be WAY better!

lol a racist guy
again noobie do some research and not make an opinion if you dont know.

i read tha arenas laugh of jefferson for being traded to milwaukee maybe some cities in usa players dont want to go.

mexico is cheaper than usa i dont see why not a player come to play in a city near to usa.

and stop saying mexico city there is only soccer fans think in MONTERREY they already have the stadium watch in google ARENA MONTERREY.

do it cucaracha

zamudio_jorge
09-08-2008, 06:07 PM
Cancun or Cabo?

cancun and cabo are only for vacations not big enough. cancun had a soccer team ATLANTE the team was in mexico city before but not too many fans and they moved.

zamudio_jorge
09-08-2008, 06:12 PM
here is some info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monterrey --- info of monterrey

http://www.arenamonterrey.com/wtweb/web_page/ --- arena monterrey (stadium)

THE_FLASH_21
09-08-2008, 06:19 PM
It'll be kool... I'm Mexican, so I wouldn't mind it.. But it won't be sold out for every game like here in the states!!!!

IndyRealist
09-08-2008, 07:17 PM
It'll be kool... I'm Mexican, so I wouldn't mind it.. But it won't be sold out for every game like here in the states!!!!

Most teams don't sell out every game. Most teams don't even sell out half of their games. I don't see attendance being a problem. The NBA could even do "NBA weekend packages" where they roll Airfare, Hotel, and rental car into a deal with lower level tickets to a game. I'd go.

SAVAGE CLAW
09-08-2008, 09:57 PM
Mexico is in North America, I cant really see putting a team on another continent, the travel would be way too hard.

Are you aware that AMERICA is just one continent?

Fireworld
09-09-2008, 12:31 AM
Would be nice but not enough NBA fans. Soccer rules there, hell, soccer rules everywhere in the world but the U.S

THE_FLASH_21
09-09-2008, 12:57 AM
Most teams don't sell out every game. Most teams don't even sell out half of their games. I don't see attendance being a problem. The NBA could even do "NBA weekend packages" where they roll Airfare, Hotel, and rental car into a deal with lower level tickets to a game. I'd go.

I guess u couldn't tell I was being sarcastic :D

SAVAGE CLAW
09-09-2008, 01:08 AM
Well Fireworld im sure Stade Tunais and Etoile du Saleil is something to be Proud of...

Spurred1
09-09-2008, 07:29 PM
Golden State refers to California. sorry man but that cracked me up. ANd the Warriors play in Oakland, which is in Cali,hence Golden State. And I think that the NBA should stick to the U.S. We have the olympics for a reason. We wouldn't mind a team here in SF, but i think that Baltimore could use a basketball team too.
I believe Baltimore did have a bb team-the Baltimore Bullets. The Bullets became the Washington Wizards. (I could be wrong,though)

S.J.Basketball
09-09-2008, 08:19 PM
It'd be a terrible idea. Period. Terrible.

JOSETHEALLSTAR
09-23-2008, 11:29 PM
nope

Beno7500
09-23-2008, 11:31 PM
No