PDA

View Full Version : 86 Celtics VS 87 Lakers

Chronz
09-05-2008, 07:46 AM
Who you got winning in a 7 game series, **** make it 10 game series, these 2 squads are considered by most experts as the strongest championship teams, not only of their respective franchises but in the history of the sport in general.

Few notable facts, 86 marked Bill Walton's healthiest year, it was the first year McHale became a regular starter and really masked Birds defensive shortcomings as he was still quick enough to guard 3's, both Bird and Magic were at the absolute peak of their careers and each won MVP in their respective seasons (Magic won his first, Bird was winning his 3rd in as many years. Umm oh yea and gas cost 1.22 a gallon.... or not anyways who you go, are these even the best Laker or Celtic teams?

NYKnickFanatic
09-05-2008, 07:51 AM
Who you got winning in a 7 game series, **** make it 10 game series, these 2 squads are considered by most experts as the strongest championship teams, not only of their respective franchises but in the history of the sport in general.

Few notable facts, 86 marked Bill Walton's healthiest year, it was the first year McHale became a regular starter and really masked Birds defensive shortcomings as he was still quick enough to guard 3's, both Bird and Magic were at the absolute peak of their careers and each won MVP in their respective seasons (Magic won his first, Bird was winning his 3rd in as many years. Umm oh yea and gas cost 1.22 a gallon.... or not anyways who you go, are these even the best Laker or Celtic teams?

10 Game Series?

So what happens if they both win 5 and 5?

Faneik
09-05-2008, 08:13 AM
NBA Comparisons Forum

Anyway, Celtics'86, but I admit I'm biased

JordansBulls
09-05-2008, 08:42 AM

Finals Teams (http://proxy.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs2007/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&page=Finalists1-10)

Two of the top 3 teams of all time.

Hawkeye15
09-05-2008, 01:25 PM
I think the Bulls 72-10 team would like to get in on that argument, but the 86" Celtics would win a 7 games series against the 87' Lakers I think. The Celtics were like 40-2 at home that season, and Walton was healthy. They had everything. Would have been a good series though I am sure.

Chronz
09-05-2008, 02:35 PM
10 Game Series?

So what happens if they both win 5 and 5?

PT Differential

Hellcrooner
09-05-2008, 03:47 PM
uh didnt the 87 finals answer the question?

anyway Magic 5 Bird 3 (2-1) in direct meetings.

Chronz
09-05-2008, 03:55 PM

Why would you think that? Look at the rosters

DreamShaker
09-05-2008, 03:55 PM

But Walton was done in 87....I would have to go with the Celtics....but those teams were really close....

ARMIN12NBA
09-05-2008, 08:00 PM
87 Lakers. James Worthy and Magic Johnson had hit their primes. Byron Scott was really coming into his own. This team was better overall.

Lakersfan2483
09-05-2008, 08:02 PM
The Lakers were the better team although both teams were almost equally matched. One name, "Magic Johnson," the 2nd greatest player of all-time, he was the difference. Kareem was also too much down low, throw in "Big Game" James Worthy and M. Coop and LA was the best team of the 80's...

DreamShaker
09-05-2008, 08:10 PM
The Lakers were the better team although both teams were almost equally matched. One name, "Magic Johnson," the 2nd greatest player of all-time, he was the difference. Kareem was also too much down low, throw in "Big Game" James Worthy and M. Coop and LA was the best team of the 80's...

Bird was every bit as good as Magic....

Hawkeye15
09-05-2008, 08:25 PM
But the question was, the 86' Celtics, vs the 87' Lakers. Not overall, etc. The Celtics had a healthy Bill Walton, the MVP in Larry Bird, lost 2 games on their home floor the entire season, and destroyed a Houston team that went further than the Lakers that year. LA needed Larry missing a desperation shot to win that series. Boston in 86' was the best team of all time.

Lakersfan2483
09-05-2008, 08:28 PM
Bird was every bit as good as Magic....

Bird was a great, great player, but Magic was the better player. Magic beat him in college for the title. He also won more in the NBA. Both were great, no disrespect to Larry, but Magic was the better player. Besides Michale Jordan, Magic was the 2nd best player of all time. He could play any position on the court, great leader, a triple double threat, clutch, he was a once in a lifetime player.

Lakersfan2483
09-05-2008, 08:31 PM
But the question was, the 86' Celtics, vs the 87' Lakers. Not overall, etc. The Celtics had a healthy Bill Walton, the MVP in Larry Bird, lost 2 games on their home floor the entire season, and destroyed a Houston team that went further than the Lakers that year. LA needed Larry missing a desperation shot to win that series. Boston in 86' was the best team of all time.

I disagree, 87 lakers were the better team and proved it. How many titles for LA in the 80's and how many for Boston? 5 titles versus 3 titles. The 87 Lakers were the greatest team ever.

ARMIN12NBA
09-05-2008, 08:34 PM

Everything I have ever heard you say on the site has been anti-Lakers in some way. To voting for the Rockets to beat the Lakers in 4 (a sweep, what!), to always arguing Bynum is terrible, to Kobe not being a top player, to now saying the Lakers got lucky, etc. At first I valued your opinion and liked to have discussions, but I can't take you seriously at all.

Lakersfan2483
09-05-2008, 08:37 PM
It doesn't matter how you win or by how much, LA won in 87. Who cares about Bird missing a desperation shot. I could name that happening in many diff. series.

Hawkeye15
09-05-2008, 11:05 PM
Everything I have ever heard you say on the site has been anti-Lakers in some way. To voting for the Rockets to beat the Lakers in 4 (a sweep, what!), to always arguing Bynum is terrible, to Kobe not being a top player, to now saying the Lakers got lucky, etc. At first I valued your opinion and liked to have discussions, but I can't take you seriously at all.

Read a few more threads my man. You will know that I think Kobe is an once in a lifetime talent, and that I agree the Lakers are a top team. But, Laker fans on these boards can be annoying, so I defend myself. And I don't think Bynum is special. I could be right on, or totally off. I am sticking with my opinion until proved wrong. I don't care about your respect. Or any Lakers fans. Most of them have drank the coolaid, and think their roster is unmatched by any feeble team

DreamShaker
09-06-2008, 02:58 AM
Bird was a great, great player, but Magic was the better player. Magic beat him in college for the title. He also won more in the NBA. Both were great, no disrespect to Larry, but Magic was the better player. Besides Michale Jordan, Magic was the 2nd best player of all time. He could play any position on the court, great leader, a triple double threat, clutch, he was a once in a lifetime player.

They were about as good as each other....2A and 2b....but I can't think of anything Magic Johnson did on the court that was wonderfully better than Larry....Larry was actually a better shooter but Magic did play the point....both were equally amazing passers....Larry the better rebounder and both equally as clutch and both unmatched leadership ability.....it's really a toss up....