PDA

View Full Version : "The Dream"

chadtx01
09-05-2008, 03:20 AM
Saw a story on him getting into the HOF so I decided to check out some vid's on youtube. Been a while since I've seen any of his highlights, I forgot how quick he was. You dont see many true 7 footers that can move like him.

Anyway, enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpQijTpI3Xo&NR=1

DreamShaker
09-05-2008, 03:51 AM
It's a good class with Dream, Riley, and Ewing...i'm just glad that in 94 Hakeem and the Rockets got the best out of those two:p

And Hakeem had a wonderful game and a killer instinct.....one of the greatest Centers to ever play....it was an honor to grow up as a Rockets fan and getting to watch him play every game....nobody on any of my favorite teams has come close to that level of greatness outside of maybe Emmitt....but Hakeem was just unstoppable when he zoned in....his fade away "Dream Shake" was crazy....it looked like he was behind the rim sometimes....and his footwork and use of the baseline have thus far been unmatched by a guy his size....

Tom81
09-05-2008, 04:58 AM
yeah Hakeem was great,even now I remember playoffs 94-95 ....(suns-rockets)

Chronz
09-05-2008, 06:27 AM
Yea they just showed game 7 of the phx series, KJ was beastly in that game and Dream had some sick moves. Barkley was really bothered by Horry and Houstons double teams, but KJ kept them in it.

DreamShaker
09-05-2008, 12:23 PM
Yea they just showed game 7 of the phx series, KJ was beastly in that game and Dream had some sick moves. Barkley was really bothered by Horry and Houstons double teams, but KJ kept them in it.

Yeah I watched that game as well...what an awesome game....I forgot how much Kenny Smith reminds me of Rafer...and Ellie with the clutchness....but KJ man.....I truly forgot how great he was....he had a few 40 point games in that series.....

JJ81
09-05-2008, 12:54 PM
I love watching highlights of him, he's awesome

Chaudhry
09-05-2008, 01:13 PM
I say he is the best centre ever... because he's so complete... im not saying by far but if you factor in the lack of competition against chamberlin, hakeem and kareem are the best, their numbers are very similar... but as mentioned hakeems era was loaded with great bigmen... Kareem was a bit better offensivly but Hakeem was a bit better defensivly...
i dunno but i think you can make a really good case for hakeem being the best center ever...

Hawkeye15
09-05-2008, 01:31 PM
You can make a case for around 4 guys as the best center ever, depends what flavor you like. Hakeem was awesome.

$ NyC $
09-05-2008, 01:32 PM
i may be young...but I've watched Hakeem's games and read his biography...the man was amazing..especialllly 4 a 7 footer...his game was unique...

Vincent
09-05-2008, 03:04 PM
Class guy, on and off the court.

Plus his skill set and athletism was unmatched, even for Chamberlain and Kareem. Hakeem could score in so many ways, and impact a game in so many ways. This guy had a QUAD Double. That alone should show how active and versatile he was.

_Sn1P3r_
09-05-2008, 03:49 PM
Hakeem was a really good player. For a 7 footer, we saw some glimpses of him playing like a SF. Congrats Hakeem.

grega1976
09-05-2008, 04:14 PM
I grew up watching him, at UH and then with the Rockets. It was amazing how much he was able to improve his game from his college days up until his prime. He was so amazing on the offensive and defensive side of the court. He was by far my favorite player growing up, and I think is one of the top 3 C's of all time. Because of some questionable contributions he's made to groups with known terrorist ties I don't like him as much anymore as a person, but as a player he was amazing to watch. What most people that never saw him play much fail to realize is that he wasn't even 7'. He was listed as a 7'er his whole career, but he was really only about 6'10". Just find a picture of him next to Otis Thorpe, they are almost exactly the same height. Thorpe was listed at 6'10". Just an amazing player!

Here's a little bit more complete highlight reel..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBrEsNS9zKg&feature=related

Here's something for all Dream fans. Hakeem (Akeem back in the day) rap for an Etonics shoes promo.
http://www.wizznutzz.com/mp3s/AkeemOlajuwon_TheUnbeatableDream.mp3

By the way best statline ever posted...
March 29, 1990 18pts, 16reb, 10ast, 11blks
let it also be known that Hakeem also had a quadruple double on March 3, 1990
Olajuwon wasn't credited for an assist the night of the game, the Rockets sent in video evidence and the box score was changed, however the NBA still refuses to acknowledge it as a quad double even though they did acknowledge the scoring error.
Hakeems line 29pts 18reb 10ast 11blks. I guess he really wanted that quad double bad to do it twice in 1 month..

FEZ
09-05-2008, 05:40 PM
Amazing player.

I kinda forget how famous and respected he was after seeing him so much.

(at his mosque in houston over the summer)

Lakersfan2483
09-05-2008, 08:07 PM
Great, great player, my favorite center during the 90's. I used to practice his moves outside of the house. lol. The Dream is a top ten player without question.

Lakersfan2483
09-05-2008, 08:09 PM
Top Centers:

Kareem
Wilt
Shaq
Hakeem
Russell

All of these guys were great basketball players with their own unique style.

chadtx01
09-06-2008, 01:33 AM
There were a ton of videos on youtube of his highlights, one was over 10 minutes, just didnt think many people would want to watch a 10 minute video.

One of my favorite Hakeem highlights wasnt even in the video. The play where KJ came down the court, thought he had the free bucket, Hakeem comes out of nowhere and swats the ball out of bounds, leaving Johnson empty handed and on his butt.