PDA

View Full Version : Vince Carter Fires Back At Phil Jackson

JordansBulls
09-04-2008, 07:22 PM
Source: Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/basketball/2676753/Vince-Carters-message-to-NBA-stars-of-the-future-education-education-education---Basketball.html)

Carter has been making noise throughout his stellar career, but critics were pointing the finger at him last season, among them legendary LA Lakers coach Phil Jackson, as the Nets' season slipped by.

"I care nothing about Phil Jackson and what he says. He's entitled to his opinion. It means nothing, it's just a coach feeling that he can say what he wants to say, and that's fine. His opinion means nothing to me. Maybe it made him feel good saying it, but that's it.

"I've been in this league 10 years now, seen it all, been expected to do this, not expected to do that. But it's really about my team and what we need to do and it's about me focusing on what I need to do.

"I don't get into reading the papers and what people feel that they think I should do, that's just a matter of opinion. I sit down with the coaching staff and we talk about what they expect of me each and every year - and outside of that, it's just gibberish."

ARMIN12NBA
09-04-2008, 07:27 PM
He obviously cares what Phil Jackson has to say if he is going to make such a fuss about it.

prash
09-04-2008, 07:34 PM
What did Phil Jackson say about him??

ink
09-04-2008, 07:43 PM
He obviously cares what Phil Jackson has to say if he is going to make such a fuss about it.

Yup.

ink
09-04-2008, 07:45 PM
What did Phil Jackson say about him??

I think this is it:

Phil Jackson: Vince Carter needs to raise intensity level
BY JULIAN GARCIA
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Wednesday, February 6th 2008, 4:00 AM

Phil Jackson already been through what the Nets are going through with Jason Kidd, and the legendary Lakers coach thinks the situation in New Jersey may be fixable. However, he feels that is true only if Vince Carter raises his intensity level.

Speaking about Kidd's public trade request, which is similar to what Kobe Bryant did in L.A. last season, Jackson complimented Kidd before last night's game between the Nets and Lakers, calling the disgruntled point guard a "great leader" and a "motivator." But after praising Richard Jefferson also, Jackson took a not-so-subtle jab at Carter.

"Jefferson is playing great; Carter seems to be just playing right now," Jackson said before pausing and adding, "not playing with that fire that Jason seems to imbue in his game."

Kidd last week went public with his desire to be moved to a more competitive team and is supposedly frustrated with Carter's laid-back approach. After signing a four-year, $61 million deal last summer, Carter went into last night's game averaging 20.5 points. He has frequently appeared content to pass or settle for jumpers instead of attacking the basket.

Source: NY Daily News (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/nets/2008/02/06/2008-02-06_phil_jackson_vince_carter_needs_to_raise-2.html)

1lakers
09-04-2008, 07:49 PM
Carter sucks !!!!!!!

DODGERS&LAKERS
09-04-2008, 07:50 PM
Carter should not take it personally. Phil talks bad about everyone. From Kobe, to Shaq, to making gay comments. Phil likes to hear himself speak

Reezy
09-04-2008, 07:52 PM
Carter sucks !!!!!!!
You're from Dayton and you like the Lakers. Enough said.

IndyRealist
09-04-2008, 07:58 PM

To me, it sounds like a reporter shoved a microphone in his face and asked what he thought about Phil's comments. He doesn't say anywhere that he even KNEW about the comments. His response was pretty generic. "I just play my game, give 110%, do whatever my team asks of me. I don't listen to haters."

We're probably making more of it than he is.

HiphopRelated
09-04-2008, 08:11 PM
he was asked a question

Halfway through he was speaking in general

Lone Maverick
09-04-2008, 08:19 PM
What do you expect him to say?

"Oh heavens no! Phillip didn't say that, he would never. I'm going to go cry myself to sleep because of what a coach halfway across the country who has nothing to do with me or my team said about me 7 months ago"

Give me a break. He said just about what any other player in any other sport would say in the same circumstances.

There are just a lot of Laker fans here who actually care what Phil has to say.

_Sn1P3r_
09-04-2008, 08:20 PM
To me, it sounds like a reporter shoved a microphone in his face and asked what he thought about Phil's comments. He doesn't say anywhere that he even KNEW about the comments. His response was pretty generic. "I just play my game, give 110%, do whatever my team asks of me. I don't listen to haters."

Raptor fans know that that isn't necessarily true all the time.

JMan17
09-04-2008, 08:29 PM
Raptor fans know that that isn't necessarily true all the time.

lol

ink
09-04-2008, 08:39 PM

No, I don't think we are. VC has heard this criticism for a long time (mainly because it's valid!) and hearing it from PJ has to sting just a bit more. If he has any self-respect and drive, it should shame him into putting out a bit more effort. But the guy just lacks fire. He might have it for a game or two, but he can't sustain it. Mentally, the guy just isn't in the game.

Nets fan 93
09-04-2008, 08:44 PM
Cool. Good job VC. You will show them all next season when you are leading us to that 8th spot :pray:

LakeShowRaider
09-04-2008, 08:45 PM
lol..por vinsanity...This is not really that big of a deal and wasnt this stuff said like MONTHS ago?

But speaking of VC he has been falling of lately...I dont get why he is still ont he NETS, theyre no gonna be that good. Trade him off for some young talent and picks or cap room. I guess thats easier said than done...but then again not everyone is blessed to have Mitch Kupchake as their GM :-) lol

jetsfan89
09-04-2008, 08:49 PM
lol..por vinsanity...This is not really that big of a deal and wasnt this stuff said like MONTHS ago?

But speaking of VC he has been falling of lately...I dont get why he is still ont he NETS, theyre no gonna be that good. Trade him off for some young talent and picks or cap room. I guess thats easier said than done...but then again not everyone is blessed to have Mitch Kupchake as their GM :-) lol

nets already have that. its not like they're trying to tank.

and a year ago wasnt kobe trying to run mitch kupchake out of town.

Nets fan 93
09-04-2008, 08:52 PM
he isnt going anywhere, we need him for ticets... go check out NBA.com... VC is on one of the slides, advertising the nets in Paris.

Master Mind
09-04-2008, 09:15 PM
Heck i'm not sure what to make of Phil's coaching because he always has the best players on his team...MJ-Pip-Shaq-Kobe....He's the luckiest coach ever! Lay off of Vince...

DreamShaker
09-04-2008, 09:50 PM
Carter does need to up his intensity:shrug:

superkegger
09-04-2008, 10:11 PM
I guess Odom for Carter is probably not an option then? lol.

Knowledge
09-04-2008, 10:37 PM

i agree. he was being interviewed and got asked about it. Its not like he went on a rant by himself or made it a priority to fire back. Actually this threads title is a little misleading because when you say he "fires back" im thinking he is taking shots at Phil, which he really isnt.

I got an idea for Phil! Maybe VC and Gasol can look for some heart together :p

CB4AB7VC15
09-04-2008, 10:52 PM
Even I could win titles with jordan pippen/kobe shaq

prash
09-04-2008, 11:24 PM
Why the Nets gave him a $60 million contract I'll never understand/

JordansBulls
09-05-2008, 12:26 AM
Carter sucks !!!!!!!

:eyebrow:

bigmac8675
09-05-2008, 02:07 AM
Even I could win titles with jordan pippen/kobe shaq

I would hope so... lol

Lone Maverick
09-05-2008, 04:33 AM
Phillip probably would want to tweak his comments a bit after seeing Gasol up close imo. :rolleyes:

Chronz
09-05-2008, 06:31 AM
Phil's a moron, sure Vince could stand to try harder but he was still their best player last year, am I suppose to overlook Kidd's sucking just because hes trying harder?

$ NyC $
09-05-2008, 08:02 AM
i kinda honestly agree with that tho...VC doesn't put in all his effort and still racks up 22 ppg easy...imagine he played every game like its his last...i seriously think he could rack up 30 a nite

pebloemer
09-05-2008, 08:22 AM

Looks like Phil said his piece back in February, why would reporters ask him about it now??? Offseason must be slow for them too

theuuord
09-05-2008, 09:28 AM
lol it's pretty clear Carter doesn't care at all... Anyone who sees this as a fuss really needs to re-evaluate how they're hearing him say it.

BowDown32
09-05-2008, 10:03 AM
VC is the best player on his team. He is faaaar from one of the best players in the league and he certainly use to be. If he has motivation within himself he wouldn't need these comments to step his game up.... he does need to step up and get back to the old Vince. His athleticism and quickness are reasons he should go to the basket, why the hell does he take jump shots all the damn time.
I'm from outside Toronto and loooved Vince when he was here, I understand why he gave up in Toronto, but that still doesnt make it right. Bottom line if you Nets fans do want to get that 8 spot then you better hope to God VC steps his game up.

Kianwe
09-05-2008, 11:38 AM

As a Raps fan, I don't have any "I heart Vince" t-shirts, but I gotta agree here.

Iceman_9
09-05-2008, 11:44 AM
Carter is already 10 years in the league but still has no championship. Phil has 9 championships. I think it is better if Carter will listen to PJAX.

Nighthawk
09-05-2008, 11:47 AM

Making a fuss????He basically said i dont give a **** what this hater has to say. thats not making a fuss. He was probably asked about Jacksons comments. P.Jackson is a d-bag. I remember him being interviewed in the finals against the Celts and he just always seemed arrogant and cocky like the Lakers would win. then we wiped the floor with them.

Sixerlover
09-05-2008, 11:47 AM
Making this more than what it should be. He probably responded to a question, he didn't "fire back" at Phil.

JJ81
09-05-2008, 12:58 PM
"I've been in this league 10 years now, seen it all"

Yes, but you havn't got a ring. Listen to what the ring master has to say.

rapswin98
09-05-2008, 04:23 PM
VC should shut up and just prove everyone wrong this season, cuz he ahsn't proved **** ever since he left toronto

superkegger
09-05-2008, 07:33 PM
Kelly Dwyer makes some good points in this article. (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Vince-Carter-doesn-t-care-what-Phil-Jackson-thin;_ylt=AsnENKlJKJq7cgu7doQMjzS8vLYF?urn=nba,105 774)

a few tidbits.

Other than that? You should care about Phil Jackson and what he says. The guy has 11 rings as a player and coach. He's been in the Finals 13 times. He's coached the best and brightest and Dennis Hopson. He knows dogmeat, and he knows what the real deal tastes like. This is someone you should be willing to impress. This is someone that, should they effuse negativity regarding your work habits, you should feel ashamed to have let down.

Vince doesn't feel that way. Never has. As long as, at the end of the season, he gets his 20-plus per game, VC is cool. Doesn't matter how he gets it. Doesn't matter if he should be living at the line, or tearing up the baseline where nobody could guard him. Or working in the post, where no mortal could guard his fadeaway. He's akin to the sort of player whose stereotype nearly downed the NBA in the 1970s and 1980s; oblivious to trends and the purportedly ambivalent to the win/loss column, just as long as he got his 20.

He didn't just stand on the perimeter and chuck three-pointers, the attempts actually went down last season, he just sort of showed up without showing up. He wasn't lost in the mix as Jason Kidd replacements like Marcus Williams and Devin Harris flailed away, he was willing to be part of the crowd, and rarely put his imprint on the game. He floated. As he's done for years.

Nets fan 93
09-05-2008, 10:25 PM
Phil is is an old bag... all that oldie does is pick on everyones team players... Its called people age... just like phil....VC doesnt dunk as much but is still affective... phil should worry about his player not VC, maybe the toughness of Gasol... that will help...

JordansBulls
09-06-2008, 06:24 PM
Carter is already 10 years in the league but still has no championship. Phil has 9 championships. I think it is better if Carter will listen to PJAX.

True, but having the two best players in the league at the time (MJ and Shaq) and sidekick stars (Pip and Kobe) had a lot to do with it.

superkegger
09-06-2008, 08:30 PM
True, but having the two best players in the league at the time (MJ and Shaq) and sidekick stars (Pip and Kobe) had a lot to do with it.

As true as that may be, Jordan and Pip and Kobe and Shaq didn't make it to a finals until Phil took over the helm. Not that he's the only reason for their success, but he's still a part of it, and a considerable part of it at that.

kvrnm
09-06-2008, 11:06 PM
phil jackson is a dush bag

Beno7500
09-07-2008, 03:05 AM
what are they arguing about?

_Supreme_
09-07-2008, 03:27 AM

Well I don't know about that.

Somebody says something about somebody, and then the media asks that latter somebody about it. Does that latter somebody have to care about the former somebody to give an answer when he is asked the question?

If Shaq said "_Supreme_ is a ugly monkey" I couldn't care less, so when some media bugger would ask me about it I'd say "I couldn't care less", which is exactly what Carter did.

And btw I think PJ should keep his mouth shut. He is probably the most overrated coach ever, and he was exposed when he couldn't do a decent coaching job when his team wasn't filled with All Stars in the years prior to last, so he should never speak about others no more.
Nine rings my arse. He was lucky enough to be the coach of the 2 most dominant players of their time. That's why he has those rings. If he hadn't coached prime MJ and prime Shaq he would have 0 rings.

And regardless of that: he has no business getting into business that doesn't concern him in the first place.

S.J.Basketball
09-07-2008, 03:30 AM
Who cares? Phil said it ages ago and does it's not like Phil cares what VC has to say either...dead topic....

Beno7500
09-07-2008, 03:30 AM
but what were they fighting about?????