View Full Version : Astros rotation next season

Wizard of O's
09-04-2008, 04:46 PM
this is my ideal 1-4

Roy Oswalt
Ben Sheets
Wandy Rodriguez
Brian Moehler

for #5 its a toss up between Randy Wolf and Brandon Backe. If Wolf agrees to return I'd name him the starter and possibly trade Backe or move him to the pen.

A bullpen next year of
Valverde
Brocail
Byrdak
Wright
Geary
Sampson
Backe

looks pretty great on paper with what we've seen the last month or two.

thoughts?

lilboytwister99
09-04-2008, 06:18 PM
Sheets would be a nice addition. I'd honestly try to keep Randy Wolf for next season. TRADE BACKE HE SUCKS!

ROCKETMAN34
09-04-2008, 06:54 PM
Would love to keep wolf. I have always thought he was a nice pitcher. Dont knnow if we will be able to compete with the $$$ teams out there. We should be able to get at least a box of Sunflower seeds for Backe from someone out there. Or a case of baseballs. I duno that might be asking to much. Go Stros!

rhino17
09-04-2008, 07:49 PM
I think a rotation of

1) Roy Oswalt
2) Ben Sheets
3) Wandry Rodriguez
4)
5) Randy Wolf

would be solid enought o get us to the playoffs. Wandy could be the 3/4, depending on if they get another pitcher. I woud like them to add another guy along with sheets

cegielskijastro
09-05-2008, 01:56 AM
Hopefully if we can sign Sheets and Wolf they'd be 2 and 4 respectfully, Backes gone cuz he sucks, and when you give up 2 grand slams in one game you should'nt be allowed to pitchin the majors. so heres my rotation... hopefully
1.Oswalt
2.Sheets
3.Wandy
4.Wolf
5.Moehler he's earned it, and he could become this years comebacker

dchalphen
09-05-2008, 10:48 AM
Oswalt
Sheets-Probably too much money
Lowe-Would love him as a third starter
Rodriquez
Moehler-Deserves a chance, Backe could be here if Brian comes back to reality

Valverde
Brocail
Geary
Sampson
Brydek
Wright
Paulino-Hawkins would be nice to resign

Lets be realistic here. Having Rodriquez, Wolf, Moehler in the starting five scares no one except Astros fans. We need to go out and get two legit starters and resign some of our contributers.

lawphin2
09-05-2008, 01:45 PM
If the Astros sign Sheets, they will lose their first round pick. Currently the Astros would have the 18th pick next year, which would not be protected. I'm not saying the Astros shouldn't sign Sheets, but we really could use that draft choice. I really do want them to sign Sheets and/or Garland.

So:
Oswalt
Sheets
Garland*
Wandy
Backe
Moehler

*I know Sheets and Garland wont both be signed but I like both too much not to want both. So just remove who you think, that's why there's a six man rotation.

rhino17
09-05-2008, 02:21 PM
They dont really have a big payroll, i dont see why they cant go out and get Sheets and another decent pitcher

lilboytwister99
09-05-2008, 06:19 PM
I think a rotation of

1) Roy Oswalt
2) Ben Sheets
3) Wandry Rodriguez
4)
5) Randy Wolf

would be solid enought o get us to the playoffs. Wandy could be the 3/4, depending on if they get another pitcher. I woud like them to add another guy along with sheets

I can fill in the blank...... Jon Garland? :D

RelaxedFan
09-05-2008, 11:18 PM
Just a thought...
For only the second time since 2004 (05 and maybe 08) the Astros could have three SP with 1)10 wins 2) 20+Starts and 3)Below 4.00ERA. adding Sheets to this rotation makes us competitve, not great but competive/solid.
Second thought...
Does anyone else think Ed Wade would only aquire one new SP?
Third Thought..
My idea (just an idea)
Carlos Lee to Rangers *Only team Lee would MAYBE agree to go
Eric Hurley, Jarod Salty and another minor leaguer to Tampa
Scott Kazmier to Houston

laxtonto
09-05-2008, 11:36 PM
Just a thought...
For only the second time since 2004 (05 and maybe 08) the Astros could have three SP with 1)10 wins 2) 20+Starts and 3)Below 4.00ERA. adding Sheets to this rotation makes us competitve, not great but competive/solid.
Second thought...
Does anyone else think Ed Wade would only aquire one new SP?
Third Thought..
My idea (just an idea)
Carlos Lee to Rangers *Only team Lee would MAYBE agree to go
Eric Hurley, Jarod Salty and another minor leaguer to Tampa
Scott Kazmier to Houston

Texas wouldn't do the deal because they have no need for OF, especially with Hamilton, Murphy, Byrd, Boggs,Cruz and now Mayberry all vying for AB's in the OF net year. Add to that Texas would just do that deal with TB because they need pitching, why include Hou?

TB wouldn't do that deal, not enough for Kazmier,and they dont need C or Major league ready SP.

Add to that why solve one hole by opening another?

chadtx01
09-06-2008, 03:38 AM
I dont see how moving Carlos would be a good idea. We already have a hole in CF with Bourn playing, now you want to add another by losing Lee? I know the team has won since he went down, but do you think that Wigginton is going to keep this hot streak going?

The Astros can do one of two things.

They can

1) Have a firesale, start restocking the minor league system and try to build a winner

or

2) They can go after some starting pitching and make a run with the team they have in place right now.

Go after Sheets. He's the best pitcher thats going to be a FA that they would have a shot at signing. If they lose their first round pick, so be it. The farm system is in shambles right now anyway, one pick is going to make or break it.

After sheets, find somebody that can eat innings to fill in the rotation. Cut ties with Backe, let him go someplace else, anywhere but here. Wolf is a great candidate for the 5 spot in the rotation if they can keep him. He eats innings and for his career he's a .500 pitcher, which is a good way to round out a rotation. He's also another lefty which is something I like about him.

Oswalt
Sheets
Wandy
Moehler
Wolf

That rotation would give us a chance to win now. The bullpen is solid. Not spectacular, but good enough.

After that, go out and sign either a catcher, or another solid outfielder so we dont have the liability of Bourn at the top of the lineup and they would be a team that could easily compete for the WC and possibly the division.

RelaxedFan
09-06-2008, 11:41 AM
Looking at all the Free Agents that will be available, corner OF's are-o-plenty. Moving Lee could allow us to aquire a good arm. It's not our best option but it was just a thought. I choose Kazmier because he is a Houston native and Tampa is not known for resigning Free Agents.
Sheets is a good #2.

chadtx01
09-06-2008, 03:16 PM
Looking at all the Free Agents that will be available, corner OF's are-o-plenty. Moving Lee could allow us to aquire a good arm. It's not our best option but it was just a thought. I choose Kazmier because he is a Houston native and Tampa is not known for resigning Free Agents.
Sheets is a good #2.

I think a better option would be to sign another corner outfielder, and move Pence back to center. He's already shown that he can play the position, he's got plenty of speed and his instincts are amazing.

You just have to look past what Lee does numbers wise. He's one of the players that keeps everybody smiling and positive. Thats something that I like about him and Miggy. I just dont see moving him as a benefit but thats just my opinion.

laxtonto
09-06-2008, 04:54 PM
I still think the best way to at leat try to be competitive is to do some form of deal with the Yankees for Damon to play CF/OF and lead off. Hes in the last year of his deal, still has the OBP and SB that would be nice as a lead off hitter. The problem would be the lack of trading chips the Yankess would want, unless they accept this as a salary dump.

As far as pitching, let Wolfe go for the Draft pick, and sign as many mid teir non class A FA pitchers and go from there.

lilboytwister99
09-07-2008, 04:44 PM
Ya know call me crazy, and being that I have little to no knowledge about baseball, I would do a few crazy moves (which probably wouldnt happen anyways)....

1) Move Pence back to CF and acquire a RF.

2) Move Wigginton to LF and move Lee to 3B (which wont happen although I like Wigginton's defense better)

3) Try to sign Sheets and another SP.

4) Hunt down another catcher.

5) Trade Backe, Quintero, and Bourn for prospects? Probably not top caliber prospects, but respectable prospects who could do the team some good.

Laugh all ya want, none of this will happen, but I'd do it lol.

RelaxedFan
09-07-2008, 08:09 PM
Ya know call me crazy, and being that I have little to no knowledge about baseball, I would do a few crazy moves (which probably wouldnt happen anyways)....

1) Move Pence back to CF and acquire a RF.

2) Move Wigginton to LF and move Lee to 3B (which wont happen although I like Wigginton's defense better)

3) Try to sign Sheets and another SP.

4) Hunt down another catcher.

5) Trade Backe, Quintero, and Bourn for prospects? Probably not top caliber prospects, but respectable prospects who could do the team some good.

Laugh all ya want, none of this will happen, but I'd do it lol.

1. Pence is CF is not a bad idea but w. Erstad resigned for next year the idea seems to be to let Boure or Brian T. Bogusevic battle for CF. If either falter, Erstad has proven himself as an daily option.
2. Yes, Ty is quicker in LF but it is crazy to think lee would be better at 3B. If Lee is playing anywhere, it is LF for Houston or LF for Boston. Any other outfield he can't cover ground. Lee in LF, Ty at 3B.
3. Sheets Yes.
4. Not just a catcher, a catcher that bats over .225. Free Agent pool appears to have depth but none of them are a long term option. A catcher via trade is the best thought.
5. Backe and Quintero Yes - Bourne still neads 1 more year. With Bogusevic quickly, possibly the pressure will make him step it up.

lawphin2
09-08-2008, 04:01 PM
Ken Rosenthal said that he believes if the Astros signed Sheets and Wolf, the Astros would not only be contenders next season but favorites to win the division.

It's in the video, "Uh, Oh Cubby fans". It is also mentioned on MLBTradeRumors.

native_astro
09-09-2008, 12:05 AM
Rotation...

1. Oswalt
2. Sheets
3. Jon Sanchez
4. Wandy
5. Moehler

I think the Astros are going to trade Wiggiton, Eli Iorg, and Cash to the Giants for Jon Sanchez and a low level prospect.

I think Wolf is going to go back to LA and we pick up the pick. Not bad in my opinion if he and Loretta leave and we get two extra 2nd round picks plus ours. NICE!

chadtx01
09-10-2008, 12:46 AM
Considering the way that Wolf turned his season around when he came to Houston, and how his last stint with LA didnt work out, I wouldnt be surprised to see him in an Astros uniform again next year.

I still think he's a good option to finish out our rotation. I like having another lefty starter and I really like getting Backe out of there.

Blackcar09
09-10-2008, 01:17 AM
Do you guys really think the Brewers would allow a division rival to aquire there main starter?

That'd be like us giving out Oswalt to the Cards.

He'd be a great add on but Sheets is injury proned which scares me a little...
we already have Matsui signing up for the DL

chadtx01
09-10-2008, 01:53 AM
Do you guys really think the Brewers would allow a division rival to aquire there main starter?

That'd be like us giving out Oswalt to the Cards.

He'd be a great add on but Sheets is injury proned which scares me a little...
we already have Matsui signing up for the DL

The Brewers dont have much of a choice on who aquires Sheets as he's going to be an unrestricted free agent. They can throw money at him and try to keep him but basically it's going to be a bidding war.

The injury aspect is just a chance you have to take. He's had his trips to the DL but he's still be solid throughout his career and thats something that the Astros havent had outside of Oswalt, especially since Clemens and Pettitte left.

Sheets is the best FA pitcher that they actually have a shot at aquiring. Take the chance on him and get him to Houston, and the Astros can contend.