PDA

View Full Version : With a New Coach and Philosophy, Phoenix is the team that is flying under the radar

JordansBulls
09-04-2008, 03:55 PM
All the hype in the West this year is about the Lakers, Rockets, Hornets and Spurs, with a mix of Utah and Portland from time to time.

However, With a New Coach and Philosophy, Phoenix is the team that is flying under the Radar.

Potential Lineup Next Year

PG Nash/Barbosa/Singletary
SG Bell/Dragic
SF Barnes/Hill/Tucker
PF Amare/Diaw/Amundson
C Shaq/Lopez

They are still a good team and with Terry Porter running things they could very well become more defensive oriented.
Sort of like how the Mavs became once Avery became coach after Nelson left.

People say Shaq is bad now. Well he was according to how good he used to be. However, when considering what he did in Miami from 2005-2007 where he he averaged around 17 ppg - 20 ppg and 7 rpg - 9 rpg in the season and where he in the playoffs averaged roughly 18 ppg - 19 ppg and 8.5 rpg - 10 rpg, he isn't too far off from those numbers considering the mpg.

Last year as a whole he averaged 14 and 9 for the Suns and Heat and then he averaged 15 and 9 in the playoffs.

If Shaq averages 30 mpg and gives the Suns 15 and 9 on 50+% then the Suns will still be dangerous.

They still have Barbosa and Diaw off the bench for firepower. The only concern IMO is if Barnes will start or not.
If he does the Suns will be more consistent because you never know what you will get from Grant Hill these days.

pebloemer
09-04-2008, 04:07 PM
They are getting older, but they still have a very impressive lineup. If they get on a nice run at the right time they can make a lot of noise. That is the story for most of the West nowadays.

Lakersfan2483
09-04-2008, 04:23 PM
All the hype in the West this year is about the Lakers, Rockets, Hornets and Spurs, with a mix of Utah and Portland from time to time.

However, With a New Coach and Philosophy, Phoenix is the team that is flying under the Radar.

SG Bell/Dragic
SF Barnes/Hill/Tucker
PF Amare/Diaw/Amundson
C Shaq/Lopez

They are still a good team and with Terry Porter running things they could very well become more defensive oriented.

People say Shaq is bad now. Well he was according to how good he used to be. However, when considering what he did in Miami from 2005-2007 where he he averaged around 17 ppg - 20 ppg and 7 rpg - 9 rpg in the season and where he in the playoffs averaged roughly 18 ppg - 19 ppg and 8.5 rpg - 10 rpg, he isn't too far off from those numbers considering the mpg.

Last year as a whole he averaged 14 and 9 for the Suns and Heat and then he averaged 15 and 9 in the playoffs.

If Shaq averages 30 mpg and gives the Suns 15 and 9 on 50+% then the Suns will still be dangerous.

They still have Barbosa and Diaw off the bench for firepower. The only concern IMO is if Barnes will start or not.
If he does the Suns will be more consistent because you never know what you will get from Grant Hill these days.

They have issues with the age of quite a few of their key players namely, Shaq, Nash, and G. Hill. They have not addressed their issues at the small forward position and lack depth at the shooting guard position as well. I don't see them doing much damage.

Rome
09-04-2008, 04:47 PM
They have issues with the age of quite a few of their key players namely, Shaq, Nash, and G. Hill. They have not addressed their issues at the small forward position and lack depth at the shooting guard position as well. I don't see them doing much damage.

How did they not address the issue at SF? They brought in Matt Barnes, who most likely will start and they got him for nothing. Then have hill to backup or split time and have his veteran leadership off the bench. Goran Dragic will be backing up Nash, so Barbosa will back up Bell, don't see how that's lacking depth at th SG position.

I believe we are under the radar and are not getting enough acknowledgment and think our squad will suprise many.

29$JerZ
09-04-2008, 04:50 PM
It's funny that with that lineup on paper they aren't viewed as the favorites.
They the ability to be a good defensive team but I question offense. Will they play half court? If NAsh good in running a half court team or will they run a run and gun but slow down and play D? IDK

BowDown32
09-04-2008, 04:53 PM
I think they are still a team that can beat you every night. People may sleep on them this year cuz they are old, but watch out cuz they have a great team. Barnes was a good pickup to bring energy off the bench. Yes they are old and they still don't play D until I see it, but don't sleep cuz they will drop 120 ppg on ya.

$ NyC $
09-04-2008, 04:56 PM
definitely..i don't think some people consider them a contender the way they were..

IndyRealist
09-04-2008, 04:58 PM
Dragic is the backup PG, specifically brought in so Barbosa can play SG. Barbosa is an undersized off guard, not a ball handler.

PG Nash/Dragic/Singletary
SG Bell/Barbosa
SF Barnes/Hill/Tucker
PF Amare/Diaw/Amundson
C Shaq/Lopez

They're still talented, but are far less effective shooting and running the break than they were two years ago. Expect Nash to be a half step slower, and they were already slower at PF and C, because of the Shaq/Marion trade.

The key to it all will be Dragic. If he can keep the Suns from blowing a 20pt lead in the 2 minutes Nash is on the bench, then they might regain their lost glory. Barnes is going to have to get more than 6.7ppg and shoot better than 29% from the 3pt line to ever fill Marion's shoes. Shaq will have to realize he's not the man anymore and get the ******* out of the paint and out of Nash's way. Someone besides Nash is going to have to hit some big shots. But the key is Dragic.

I still think they should have traded for Jamaal Tinsley's 8.4apg. He's custom fit for the Suns. All speed, all finesse, no consequences for taking bad shots. I mean, if they're gonna take risks, why not take the BIG risks.

$ NyC $
09-04-2008, 05:02 PM
i actually think they could be better off changing the game around a lil' bit and not running as much

IndyRealist
09-04-2008, 05:09 PM
How did they not address the issue at SF? They brought in Matt Barnes, who most likely will start and they got him for nothing. Then have hill to backup or split time and have his veteran leadership off the bench. Goran Dragic will be backing up Nash, so Barbosa will back up Bell, don't see how that's lacking depth at th SG position.

I believe we are under the radar and are not getting enough acknowledgment and think our squad will suprise many.

Matt Barnes averaged 6.7ppg on the "Take as many shots as you want" Warriors. He's a 29% 3pt shooter, which is a death knell on a Nash team. If Nash is on the floor you'd better be ready to either dunk or shoot the 3. I said it in the power rankings thread (http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263063&page=7#94), he averages less than half of what Marion does in points, rebounds, steals, and blocks. He will never fill those shoes. Doesn't seem like they addressed the issue to me.

futureman
09-04-2008, 05:10 PM
I'm predicting the suns to be the team that is left out of the playoffs this year in the even more competitive western conference.

futureman
09-04-2008, 05:12 PM
Dragic is the backup PG, specifically brought in so Barbosa can play SG. Barbosa is an undersized off guard, not a ball handler.

SG Bell/Barbosa
SF Barnes/Hill/Tucker
PF Amare/Diaw/Amundson
C Shaq/Lopez

They're still talented, but are far less effective shooting and running the break than they were two years ago. Expect Nash to be a half step slower, and they were already slower at PF and C, because of the Shaq/Marion trade.

The key to it all will be Dragic. If he can keep the Suns from blowing a 20pt lead in the 2 minutes Nash is on the bench, then they might regain their lost glory. Barnes is going to have to get more than 6.7ppg and shoot better than 29% from the 3pt line to ever fill Marion's shoes. Shaq will have to realize he's not the man anymore and get the ******* out of the paint and out of Nash's way. Someone besides Nash is going to have to hit some big shots. But the key is Dragic.

I still think they should have traded for Jamaal Tinsley's 8.4apg. He's custom fit for the Suns. All speed, all finesse, no consequences for taking bad shots. I mean, if they're gonna take risks, why not take the BIG risks.

Did that with shaq and it got them nowhere

MassoDio
09-04-2008, 05:30 PM
Matt Barnes averaged 6.7ppg on the "Take as many shots as you want" Warriors. He's a 29% 3pt shooter, which is a death knell on a Nash team. If Nash is on the floor you'd better be ready to either dunk or shoot the 3. I said it in the power rankings thread (http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263063&page=7#94), he averages less than half of what Marion does in points, rebounds, steals, and blocks. He will never fill those shoes. Doesn't seem like they addressed the issue to me.

He also played half as many minutes on a team that had less of a team concept. Matt Barnes is in no way as good as Marion, but he will provide exactly what they brought him in to provide. Tough play, and slashing ability, with the occasional 3 pt shot. He will be splitting time with Hill, and Diaw. Possibly with Tucker if he earns some burn. Barnes is not being asked to provide Marion numbers. Between he and Hill, they will produce. They got rid of Marion for a few reasons. One, he was a malcontent, and was bad in the locker room. And they needed more shots for Amare. Why, in this case, would they need Barnes to make up for his scoring? Shaq has made up a lot in the rebounding department, where Marion left. So the numbers they were missing from Marion needing to be filled is really a fallacy. They need him to provide good perimeter defense. That is where they missed Marion. Is Barnes as good defensvely, no. But he can help.

Rome
09-04-2008, 06:01 PM

No **** he's not going to fill marions shoes but like I said they got him for nothing and he's gonna share time with Hill which gives us fresher legs on the floor. We don't expect him to put up big numbers, just do his job. And I believe he will.

$ NyC $
09-04-2008, 06:06 PM
they're probably gonna run less and run some more sets and such...i wanna see what Amare does this year...it's his turn 2 lead the team now..Nash will just show him the way

JPHX
09-04-2008, 06:12 PM

SG Bell/Barbosa
SF Barnes/Hill/Tucker
PF Amare/Diaw/Amundson
C Shaq/Lopez

whether the shaq trade was a failure or not has still not been determined. think about it:

1. Shaq is a big guy that will impact any teams chemistry.

2. we did this in midseason where we had no idea how to incorporate him.

3. he was coming off an injury in which he hadnt played in over 2 months. anyone that plays ball knows that its takes a while to get back it to basketball form especially at his age.

4. he really had no backup at the 5 spot.

now we have a whole offseason to figure out how to play shaq. he has a young good defensive minded backup in Lopez, who can come in and shoulder some hefty minutes. keep shaq rested for the playoffs.

not to mention our new coaching staff. IMO this is a new suns team.

dont count them out.

THE NATION
09-04-2008, 06:14 PM
No **** he's not going to fill marions shoes but like I said they got him for nothing and he's gonna share time with Hill which gives us fresher legs on the floor. We don't expect him to put up big numbers, just do his job. And I believe he will.
That is because no team wanted him. He has been on like 4 teams already and cut like twice, one fron the kings and then from the sixers. He is no good at all even Nellie didn't want him back.

still1ballin
09-04-2008, 06:16 PM
They Are Done

SmeertheBeard
09-04-2008, 06:26 PM
THE SUNS ARE WAY OVERRATED! They are Old, older and oldest!!!! Matt Barnes was the warrios 8th man last year. Now he's the Suns Savior? This team is WAY OVERRATED!!!!!!!!!!

MassoDio
09-04-2008, 06:29 PM
THE SUNS ARE WAY OVERRATED! They are Old, older and oldest!!!! Matt Barnes was the warrios 8th man last year. Now he's the Suns Savior? This team is WAY OVERRATED!!!!!!!!!!

No one but you has said that. Most Suns fans don't expect much from him. So as for anyone who thinks like that, yeah, they would be overrated. And their best two players are 25, 33. So yes, they are old in some spots, but not in the players that they expect to produce the most.

superkegger
09-04-2008, 06:54 PM
I personally think so. Especially if they find the right way to incorporate shaq. And if Shaq ever had a reason to prove people wrong, its now. He's taken several image hits with his childlike rap dis on Kobe and the stalking charges.

SensandRaps
09-04-2008, 06:56 PM
nah phoenix wont do much damage this year

Hawkeye15
09-04-2008, 07:07 PM
are people forgetting that Shaq will sit it out until like December? Or that Barnes is a role player? Or that their defense is worse than ever? They will be a top 7 team in the west, simply because they will outscore a lot of teams, but when the playoffs come along, and every posession matters, goodnight. They missed their window.

Hawkeye15
09-04-2008, 07:09 PM
[QUOTE=futureman;6525571]

whether the shaq trade was a failure or not has still not been determined. think about it:

1. Shaq is a big guy that will impact any teams chemistry.

2. we did this in midseason where we had no idea how to incorporate him.

3. he was coming off an injury in which he hadnt played in over 2 months. anyone that plays ball knows that its takes a while to get back it to basketball form especially at his age.

4. he really had no backup at the 5 spot.

now we have a whole offseason to figure out how to play shaq. he has a young good defensive minded backup in Lopez, who can come in and shoulder some hefty minutes. keep shaq rested for the playoffs.

not to mention our new coaching staff. IMO this is a new suns team.

dont count them out.

I will agree with you on two things. Shaq was brought in mid season, and I can't think of a worse coach for him to play for that Mike D. And Nash has no backup. But that being said, if they slow the offense down to adjust to Shaq, Nash, Barbosa, Amare, they all become less effective.

dre1990
09-04-2008, 07:09 PM
talented team but wont get out of the 1st round

JPHX
09-04-2008, 08:45 PM
[QUOTE=JPHX;6526216]

I will agree with you on two things. Shaq was brought in mid season, and I can't think of a worse coach for him to play for that Mike D. And Nash has no backup. But that being said, if they slow the offense down to adjust to Shaq, Nash, Barbosa, Amare, they all become less effective.

umm i believe we picked up a guy named goran dragic. if you watch euro ball hes an insane guard. played against and was successful against top euro/nba guards like Parker and Calderon. held parker down and beat france which isnt an easy thing to do.

as for offense, we're not playing dantoni ball no more, so whos to say we wont be effective? all im trying to say is dont count us out for the title.

Cavs_Fan24
09-04-2008, 09:24 PM
i think the suns are gonna suprise a lot of people. Steve Nash is determined, Amare's about to enter his prime, and Shaq's the veteran leader and proven winner. Phoenix could possibly go deeep into the playoffs.

superkegger
09-04-2008, 10:15 PM
umm i believe we picked up a guy named goran dragic. if you watch euro ball hes an insane guard. played against and was successful against top euro/nba guards like Parker and Calderon. held parker down and beat france which isnt an easy thing to do.

as for offense, we're not playing dantoni ball no more, so whos to say we wont be effective? all im trying to say is dont count us out for the title.

Not to say that Dragic won't be anything, but its one thing to play well in euro ball and translate that to the NBA. He could be good, but relying on him as the backup pg for now is a weakness.

JordansBulls
09-05-2008, 10:18 AM
They Are Done

Care to elaborate some more in your post?

Rapthug
09-05-2008, 11:07 AM
I hate to be hatin on the Suns with Nash onboard but they will not make the playoffs this year. Getting old with injuries going to be a factor. My biggest concern is that they seem to be inbetween styles. Nash is far more valuable in a helter skelter up and down game that Shaq can't play. Actually, I'd bet they play their best ball when Shaq misses 20-30 games. And defence has never been their strong point. They still need to out score everyone and I don't see them being a better offensive team. Sorry Nash....their window to win a title has closed.

innovator
09-05-2008, 11:11 AM
even with a defensive coach ther players are still not good defensively

Frank Costanza
09-05-2008, 11:53 AM
For the last 4 years Phoneix has been one of the most deadliest teams in the NBA and a western conference powerhouse, every yr i had them as my pick to go to the finals, the spurs kept getting in the way and they are a good team. THe only thing this team lost from the beginning of last yr was shawn marions, "i dont want to be here" attitude and added shaqs "when you piss me off i win championships" attitude this team should do better than last yr in the regular season, the play offs though are where it will get tough with HOU and LAL being probably the favorites to go to the west conf finals. Phx is very under the radar, if they are the team coming into your arena I know im a lil afraid of getting lit up by nash+amare shaqs presence just makes amare even more of a threat

IndyRealist
09-05-2008, 03:27 PM

Sorry, that was sarcasm. I meant that if they were going to take risks, that Jamaal Tinsley would be an even bigger risk, so they should take it.

As for Matt Barnes, he shot 29% from 3 on the Warriors. There's no reason to believe he'll do any better on the Suns. He's a body and should probably be a career backup, not starting on a team wanting to contend for a championship. And again, he played on the Warriors, so there's no reason to believe he can play defense of any sort. I just don't see how he solved any of the problems the Suns had last year.

The Suns need to make some hard choices. If Dragic works out like I expect, they're going to have one of the best backcourts in the NBA in Nash/Dragic/Bell/Barbosa. To shore up the SF position they're going to have to eat some bad contracts and pay luxury tax on it, cause they don't have the assets to trade away; they need most everyone they have under contract. Or Boris Diaw can develop a 22ft jumper. Either way.

IndyRealist
09-05-2008, 03:37 PM
Actually, I really like that idea....

"Boris, we need you to play your natural SF spot this year. You're going to start, and you need to take at least 2 3pt shots a game. You'd best get in the gym."

Boris can do virtually everything Marion could. He's less athletic but stronger and just as versatile. He can play D. Make him, I repeat MAKE HIM go to the gym and put up 200 3's every day until he develops a respectable jumper, and you've got your starting SF on a championship caliber team.

Vincent
09-05-2008, 03:45 PM
Sorry, that was sarcasm. I meant that if they were going to take risks, that Jamaal Tinsley would be an even bigger risk, so they should take it.

As for Matt Barnes, he shot 29% from 3 on the Warriors. There's no reason to believe he'll do any better on the Suns. He's a body and should probably be a career backup, not starting on a team wanting to contend for a championship. And again, he played on the Warriors, so there's no reason to believe he can play defense of any sort. I just don't see how he solved any of the problems the Suns had last year.

The Suns need to make some hard choices. If Dragic works out like I expect, they're going to have one of the best backcourts in the NBA in Nash/Dragic/Bell/Barbosa. To shore up the SF position they're going to have to eat some bad contracts and pay luxury tax on it, cause they don't have the assets to trade away; they need most everyone they have under contract. Or Boris Diaw can develop a 22ft jumper. Either way.

I think the backcourt is more so "solid" than being the "best" in the league.
Well defined roles, and consistant production.

Phoniex really shines in the front court. With versatile guys like Boris Diaw, and power guys like Shaq and Amare.

With an entire off-season under their belts with Shaq, I think they have a chance to make splashes. A Suns/Lakers playoffs rematch would be VERY interesting, especially with the bad blood between Raja Bell and Kobe... mixed in with poisoned blood with Kobe and Shaq.

LakerzDQ
09-06-2008, 07:24 AM
Actually, I really like that idea....

"Boris, we need you to play your natural SF spot this year. You're going to start, and you need to take at least 2 3pt shots a game. You'd best get in the gym."

Boris can do virtually everything Marion could. He's less athletic but stronger and just as versatile. He can play D. Make him, I repeat MAKE HIM go to the gym and put up 200 3's every day until he develops a respectable jumper, and you've got your starting SF on a championship caliber team.

Diaw, snagging steals, blocks, finishing flying dunks, while playing great perimeter defense?
wow, he must be better than I thought he was.

$ NyC $
09-06-2008, 08:11 AM
he is extremely versatile, but LakerzDQ got a point...he's not as athletic as Marion was

J-Relo
09-06-2008, 09:48 AM

SG Bell/Barbosa
SF Barnes/Hill/Tucker
PF Amare/Diaw/Amundson
C Shaq/Lopez

When Shaq came to Phoenix we lost some games at the beginning and struggled in the Playoffs vs Spurs, but YOU can't say that with Shaq we played bad, if next season we will play at least as then we will get ~50 wins (used the same win/lose rate).

But just let's remember how we played:
1. First of all we hadn't enough time to adjust after trade (SHaq/Marion)
2. We were poor at the defensive end, of course i don't like to say that, but it's true.
3. If you would look at that line-up you would see many holes: no backup for Nash, no good packup at 5, not very good at the wing (especially when Hill was injured). So we didn't have someone to backup PG, C, struggled at SF and players had to play out of positions (Barbosa to play the point, Amare - C).

Even with that^ we could fight for last seeds in the playoffs... But now something has changed:
1. Players had enough time to get along with each other, adjust. Phoenix even started training camp a bit earlier to become even better as a team. So now that won't be a problem.
2. Our defence got stronger, of course it isn't enough to change the coach, but as Porter came they finally started to work hard on it (even Amare said that there were no defence with Mike) and i think they will get a lot better... Plus we added some defence by signing Matt Barner, of course this guy ain't Marion, but he is prettyy solid defender and will help, also don't forget that we added rookie Robin Lopez, who is good defensively and has potential, so we can see him only getting better. Of course backup PG (Singletary, Dragic) has some defence too, so Phoenix Suns are going to be a lot stronger at the defensive end.
3. As i said we added PG backups, finally! Finally Nash will get some rest and other playmakers will still run the offense, hopefully well... So we fixed our PG spot, also as Barbosa won't have to run the ball he will play at SG, so we have good backcourt. SOme of you said that we had to get great SF, but how we could have done that?The only way I see getting good SF is trading Nash, Amare or both BArbosa and Diaw - would it help us? - no... cause losing those stars would make us only worse at some point...But also everything can happen and we still can get great SF... However we got Barnes, so Diaw can backup Amare (Amundson will produce some energy of the bench too), so we got fixed first four spots!... and now backup center issue - we got Lopez (#15 pick), so now first time in 3 years (all those years we were contenders) we have full rosters...

Despite the age (by the way everyone ages), we only got better, so i don't get people who write: they are done, they will miss playoffs... no guys! we will still be contenders and please don't cry when your team will lose against Phoenix SUNS!

quhawk11
09-06-2008, 10:07 AM
^^^^^^^^^ Couldnt have put it better!

SpeedReed
09-06-2008, 10:54 AM
I hate to be hatin on the Suns with Nash onboard but they will not make the playoffs this year. Getting old with injuries going to be a factor. My biggest concern is that they seem to be inbetween styles. Nash is far more valuable in a helter skelter up and down game that Shaq can't play. Actually, I'd bet they play their best ball when Shaq misses 20-30 games. And defence has never been their strong point. They still need to out score everyone and I don't see them being a better offensive team. Sorry Nash....their window to win a title has closed.

this is ridiculous. Mike Dantoni leaves and all of a sudden the Suns don't have an identity???? Nash is far more effective in a Helter Skelter style game???? PLEASE. Nash is top 3 in the league PG's in the half court. as well as the fast break. These are all professionals here that have played many different systems. I think they can afford some defensive scheming and not loose their identity.

Just look at the lineup changes.

2007-2008
Nash/Barbosa
Bell/Giricek/Piatkowski
Hill/Diaw
Amare/Skinner/Marks
Shaq/Skinner

2008-2009
Nash/Dragic/Singletary
Bell/Barbosa
Barnes/Hill
Amare/Diaw/Amundsen
Shaq/Lopez

Easily a younger, deeper team. it will be difficult to distribute minutes between 10 players a game. thats a good place to be.

HiphopRelated
09-06-2008, 10:56 AM
once Shaq goes down in late Nov/Dec he's done 'til ASB.

If they're still somehow in the playoffs, we'll talk

jgonboricua
09-06-2008, 11:20 AM
lopez should be a good help at the center postion too when shaq is on the bench.....wish they somehow could of got artest though....he would of been perfect for them.....maybe they can turn there attention to carter? i dunno..

SpeedReed
09-06-2008, 11:49 AM
lopez should be a good help at the center postion too when shaq is on the bench.....wish they somehow could of got artest though....he would of been perfect for them.....maybe they can turn there attention to carter? i dunno..

Suns got NO MONEY! Would have LOOOVED to have ARTEST.

jgonboricua
09-06-2008, 12:48 PM
you could of done somekind of diaw for artest trade or something....

J-Relo
09-06-2008, 01:34 PM
you could of done somekind of diaw for artest trade or something....

don't ya think that every team tries to do the best possible what they could, i believe Suns were in talks with Kings, as many others...

DODGERS&LAKERS
09-06-2008, 01:40 PM
The Suns have a real good team. They maybe a little soft at the small forward spot but those guys are no slouches. But no team has an all star 1-5 Roster wise, they have as good a team as any. We all just have to wait and see how Porter puts it all together. But they have the talent. Some flaws, but what team does not have flaws.

J-Relo
09-06-2008, 01:58 PM
The Suns have a real good team. They maybe a little soft at the small forward spot but those guys are no slouches. But no team has an all star 1-5 Roster wise, they have as good a team as any. We all just have to wait and see how Porter puts it all together. But they have the talent. Some flaws, but what team does not have flaws.

ye you are kinda right...

JordansBulls
09-06-2008, 02:29 PM

Well said.

fresh prince
09-06-2008, 02:44 PM

SG Bell/Dragic
SF Barnes/Hill/Tucker
PF Amare/Diaw/Amundson
C Shaq/Lopez

Thats the problem when you have 3 of your starting 5 players: Nash, Shaq and Hill..who completely suck at defense you cant be very good. Amare has the ability to be a beast on D but he doesnt play d for consistant minutes. Then the guys off the bench Barbosa and DiAW SUCK AT d AS WELL..

Matt Barnes will compete and is very active on D so starting him would help. But Terry Porter cant turn terrible defenders into great ones. No coach is that good. I think thats why people arent expecting much from the Suns..They cant stop anybody. They should be in the middle of the pack out West

SpeedReed
09-06-2008, 02:54 PM
defense is more of a team strategy than anything. if the entire team becomes commited to defense than alot can change.

remember that there was always ZERO emphasis on defense with mike dantoni. suns are athletic enough that with accountability on the defensive end, there should be no excuses.

fresh prince
09-06-2008, 06:47 PM
defense is more of a team strategy than anything. if the entire team becomes commited to defense than alot can change.

remember that there was always ZERO emphasis on defense with mike dantoni. suns are athletic enough that with accountability on the defensive end, there should be no excuses.

True but Shaq..who the Suns have committed to protect the paint has used the defensive end of the floor to rest since the year 2000. HE just wont compete on defense for long stretches. same with Amare..if T. Porter can make that happen they will be improved. But since the Suns have Nash who routinely gives up penetration theres even a bigger emphasis on rotations. and the Suns d is always in flux.

We'll see how it turns out

Beno7500
09-06-2008, 07:17 PM
They won't do much.

STAT32
09-06-2008, 07:40 PM
^^^ Believe it or not but comments like that don't add to a forum.

Here's how I feel about it, we don't need Shaq to play a huge role on this team. He has one role, grab rebounds and play decent post defense. He did that beutifully towards the end of last season.

After signing Matt Barnes (I think he'll start), and adding Goran Dragic we've become a deep team overnight. Now last year the signing of Goran Dragic and Robin Lopez wouldn't have meant anything because Mike "Pringles Man" D'antoni would not have played them at all. But now with Terry Porter we have a coach who will play a 9-10 man rotation consistently. I believe he will lead the charge in turning this ball club into a well rounded basketball team.

Now onto the issue of age. Last year we did not have capable back-ups for Steve Nash, Shaquille O'neal, or Grant Hill. Grant Hill will do just fine splitting the minutes with Matt Barnes. Robin Lopez has the ability to become a suitable back-up for Shaq. And most importantly of all, we finally have a back-up PG for Steve Nash.

The fact is this team made the changes it needed to make. I'd watch out for the Suns at least.

Steve Nash/Goran Dragic/Sean Singletary
Raja Bell/Leandro Barbosa/Alando Tucker
Matt Barnes/Grant Hill
Amare Stoudemire/Boris Diaw/Louis Amundson
Shaquille O'neal/Robin Lopez

I'd say they're at least the Dark Horse of the West.

JordansBulls
09-06-2008, 09:49 PM
^^^ Believe it or not but comments like that don't add to a forum.

Here's how I feel about it, we don't need Shaq to play a huge role on this team. He has one role, grab rebounds and play decent post defense. He did that beutifully towards the end of last season.

After signing Matt Barnes (I think he'll start), and adding Goran Dragic we've become a deep team overnight. Now last year the signing of Goran Dragic and Robin Lopez wouldn't have meant anything because Mike "Pringles Man" D'antoni would not have played them at all. But now with Terry Porter we have a coach who will play a 9-10 man rotation consistently. I believe he will lead the charge in turning this ball club into a well rounded basketball team.

Now onto the issue of age. Last year we did not have capable back-ups for Steve Nash, Shaquille O'neal, or Grant Hill. Grant Hill will do just fine splitting the minutes with Matt Barnes. Robin Lopez has the ability to become a suitable back-up for Shaq. And most importantly of all, we finally have a back-up PG for Steve Nash.

The fact is this team made the changes it needed to make. I'd watch out for the Suns at least.

Steve Nash/Goran Dragic/Sean Singletary
Raja Bell/Leandro Barbosa/Alando Tucker
Matt Barnes/Grant Hill
Amare Stoudemire/Boris Diaw/Louis Amundson
Shaquille O'neal/Robin Lopez

I'd say they're at least the Dark Horse of the West.

I think as long as they are healthy they could contend and beat anyone in the league. Spurs would be the toughest though for them.

theimortalone
09-06-2008, 11:18 PM
I think as long as they are healthy they could contend and beat anyone in the league. Spurs would be the toughest though for them.

I agree with you JordansBulls. It all depends on the health of the team.

JPHX
09-07-2008, 01:37 AM
well we do have the rep of one of the best med staff's in the league

Iodine
09-07-2008, 01:43 AM
They are not good enough to even challange the top 3 seed they will be playing in the first round

theimortalone
09-07-2008, 02:06 AM
well we do have the rep of one of the best med staff's in the league

Indeed we do. That is why Grant Hill came to Phoenix after all.

Beno7500
09-07-2008, 03:31 AM
Grant Hill. Are you kidding me?

_Supreme_
09-07-2008, 03:48 AM
I've been waiting for years for them to live up to expectations when they had that real good team up and running, and they never did, so I certainly don't expect this team with Shaq to do any damage.

It would be funny though, and definitely be Shaq's redemption. But I'd have to see it before I believe it first...

Beno7500
09-07-2008, 03:51 AM
They might get to the playoffs, and if they do, they will do nothing like always

stawka
09-07-2008, 04:04 AM
Too much hate and negativity in this thread. For God's sake, we have Kings' fans saying "they will do nothing like always". This is getting bad....

cambovenzi
09-07-2008, 04:07 AM
i think everyone knows they are OK contenders, but most think they wont win it all.

Tom81
09-07-2008, 05:43 AM
They might get to the playoffs, and if they do, they will do nothing like always

wow ,yeah hope kings show more then last seasons....

Tom81
09-07-2008, 05:47 AM
They won't do much.

You sound like irritated fan, because your team can't make the playoffs last two years ,and they sucks big time.

Tom81
09-07-2008, 05:48 AM

I agree