PDA

View Full Version : Would you rather build around Lebron or would you rather have Portland's Roster?

JordansBulls
09-03-2008, 03:02 PM
For the next 7 years, if you were starting a team from scratch would you rather build around Lebron or would you just rather have the Portland Trailblazers Roster?

GiantYankKnicks
09-03-2008, 03:19 PM
Very tough but i would rather build around Lebron

Hellcrooner
09-03-2008, 03:29 PM
lebron

Portlnads roster unless they decide wich three starters to keep and accept to trade the other 12 players for TWO allstar starters more its deemed to fail

You cant have two oR THRHEEE guys worthy of being starters for EVERY poisition and expect no bad Locker ROom karma.

Ask toronto about Claderon adn TJ

now Make the math making it Bayless Vs Rudy Rudy Vs ROy BAyless vs Broy, Roy vs Wbester, RUdy vs Webster, Webster vs Outlo, Frye, vs aldrige, Frye vs Diogu, GIogu vs, alddireg and oden etce tec etc

THis is a big mess comonig up!!!!

Rome
09-03-2008, 03:45 PM
Very hard to say. Portland looks like they'll be a top team in the west with their roster right now. All young studs improving their game and some becoming all stars.
Then again Lebron is Lebron. I have to pick Portland just because of how young and promising they look.

heyman321
09-03-2008, 03:50 PM
Lebron. Portland's young squad everyone says looks "promising", but they haven't done anything yet, esepccially with Oden out for the past season, so they have yet to prove they are a playoff team. On the other hand, Lebron is freaking Lebron. He carried his team to the Finals, and almost one handedly beat the Celtics.

SensandRaps
09-03-2008, 03:58 PM
portland they already have a couple of stars with a lot of potential and in 7 years they would be near the top of the leauge

MoBASS
09-03-2008, 03:58 PM
Damn JB I give you props... that's a great question.

_Sn1P3r_
09-03-2008, 04:21 PM
I'll build around LeBron right now. I agree with the 'Portland didn't prove anything yet' and we'll see whether Oden has been overhyped or not.

DreamShaker
09-03-2008, 04:34 PM
Well Portland has two guys with All-Star potential....Oden and Roy....everyone else is solid....but the team has no point guard....and no defensive stopper....

ink
09-03-2008, 04:38 PM
Team game. I'll go with the best team.

Lebron's team is going to struggle to match his talent level for years. That's an added distraction.

Plus the Blazers are young and now they're the closest NBA team to my house. :D

So I'll get a chance to see them.

Cavs_Fan24
09-03-2008, 04:48 PM
LeBron's a one in a million type player. You cant possibly pass him up. As long as you get him to the playoffs, he'll single-handedly get you to the finals.

Rome
09-03-2008, 05:55 PM
Bayless has no all star potential in anyones mind? Agreed Lebron is a freak and one in a million type of player, but if Portland turns into a powerhouse in the west in a few years and LBJ is still with the Cavaliers and Portland is knocking teams out left and right with 3 all stars who's to say they wouldn't just sweep em in the finals. Lol

JMan17
09-03-2008, 06:11 PM
yay, broke the tie :)

anyway i say the portland roster, they are all young and roy looks like the star of their future, great question though.

lakers4sho
09-03-2008, 06:29 PM
Another way you can ask the question...

Which team would you rather have? The Cavs or the Blazers?

rapswin98
09-03-2008, 06:31 PM
portlands roster. look at the detroit they don't have a legit #1 option on there team yet they are always up there compared to other teams. i see the players on portland staying together for a long time like the pistons

Hawkeye15
09-03-2008, 06:38 PM
LeBron. Problem is, when Portland does get good, they are going to have to start paying big money to keep these guys. Do you really think all these kids are going to stay in Portland? Outlaw already has said publically, he should start, and would be happy playing where they give him shots, and this will continue. A team of 22 year olds, with all the talent in the world, sounds awesome on paper. But they read the internet, they hear the hype. Many of them will be somewhere else in 2 years. Then, it becomes a reality on who the team decided were the keepers, and who they let go. If they make the right decisions, then Portland will be sweet. If not, and they let a player get thru their fingers, they will tread water.

fabian11593
09-03-2008, 06:39 PM
Portland

THE_FLASH_21
09-03-2008, 06:46 PM
I say Portalnd...

Roy,Frye,Aldridge,Oden are all a stars in the making.....

rapswin98
09-03-2008, 06:53 PM
LeBron. Problem is, when Portland does get good, they are going to have to start paying big money to keep these guys. Do you really think all these kids are going to stay in Portland? Outlaw already has said publically, he should start, and would be happy playing where they give him shots, and this will continue. A team of 22 year olds, with all the talent in the world, sounds awesome on paper. But they read the internet, they hear the hype. Many of them will be somewhere else in 2 years. Then, it becomes a reality on who the team decided were the keepers, and who they let go. If they make the right decisions, then Portland will be sweet. If not, and they let a player get thru their fingers, they will tread water.i agree. if portland makes the right moves they can easily be a championship contender, but also they can make a wrong decision and go downhill. but i think it takes longer to build around player especially when you have a bad roster around him. with a team like trailblazers you can make the right moves very quickly and become successful in less than 7 years

Hawkeye15
09-03-2008, 06:53 PM
I say Portalnd...

Roy,Frye,Aldridge,Oden are all a stars in the making.....

but in what uniforms? That is my point. They have TOO much young talent. They can't possibly convince them all of roles, when many of them know they could play a bigger role eslewhere. And nobody has the salary cap to contain all these guys in a couple years.

Hawkeye15
09-03-2008, 06:56 PM
i agree. if portland makes the right moves they can easily be a championship contender, but also they can make a wrong decision and go downhill. but i think it takes longer to build around player especially when you have a bad roster around him. with a team like trailblazers you can make the right moves very quickly and become successful in less than 7 years

Kevin Pritchard seems to be a genius, so I think they will end up contenders again, but a bad decision can haunt you. And there will be so many to make in the next 2-3 seasons for them. Roy, Oden (I think), and Aldridge are staples they must resign. I would like to see what Bayless is, but I think he is more of a combo guard, and not the answer at point. But, if they are active, they also have a ton of trading chips to fill needs. Shoot, Bayless for Conley. Why not?

Hawkeye15
09-03-2008, 06:58 PM
i agree. if portland makes the right moves they can easily be a championship contender, but also they can make a wrong decision and go downhill. but i think it takes longer to build around player especially when you have a bad roster around him. with a team like trailblazers you can make the right moves very quickly and become successful in less than 7 years

Portland doesn't have anyone who can personally take a game over. I will take that guy. The Pistons are the lone exception in modern basketball history. They defied the equation. It doesn't happen often.

znick21
09-03-2008, 07:02 PM
portland's team is arguably better than the cavaliers. everyone is saying lebron is the type of talent and number one pick that doesn't come along very often. isn't that what everyone said about oden before the draft? granted he's had major knee surgery, but from all accounts he's recovered very nicely and his mere presence on the court alone will garner them more wins. i think you have to take portland.

Hawkeye15
09-03-2008, 07:09 PM
portland's team is arguably better than the cavaliers. everyone is saying but lebron is the type of talent and number one pick that doesn't come along very often. isn't that what everyone said about oden before the draft? granted he's had major knee surgery, but from all accounts he's recovered very nicely and his mere presence on the court alone with garner them more wins. i think you have to take portland.

maybe Oden should play a couple games before we declare him in the conversation with the best 23 year old basketball in history. Just my opinion.

THE_FLASH_21
09-03-2008, 07:18 PM
but in what uniforms? That is my point. They have TOO much young talent. They can't possibly convince them all of roles, when many of them know they could play a bigger role eslewhere. And nobody has the salary cap to contain all these guys in a couple years.

Yeah your right.. But he asked me what was a better option.. I'm going based on if they stuck together for 7 years!!

znick21
09-03-2008, 07:23 PM
i agree lebron is the best player in the league right now and absolute freak of nature athletically at age 23 (24 in december). on the other hand oden is only 20 right now and just as much of a genetic freak as lebron considering what he does at that size. even though he hasn't played in any games yet i'd be hard pressed to say that i'd take lebron with an average cast over oden with a team that sports talent 3 deep at every position with an average age of 24.

Hawkeye15
09-03-2008, 07:35 PM
i agree lebron is the best player in the league right now and absolute freak of nature athletically at age 23 (24 in december). on the other hand oden is only 20 right now and just as much of a genetic freak as lebron considering what he does at that size. even though he hasn't played in any games yet i'd be hard pressed to say that i'd take lebron with an average cast over oden with a team that sports talent 3 deep at every position with an average age of 24.

true in theory, read my other posts. You cannot, and will not, be able to keep all those young studs. They will want a place and home of their own to shine. By 2010, the roster for Portland will be so different, it isn't even funny. Half their young talent will be signed to offer sheets Portland won't match, and then you have to hope you kept the right kids. SO much easier said than done.

JMan17
09-03-2008, 08:45 PM
LeBron. Problem is, when Portland does get good, they are going to have to start paying big money to keep these guys. Do you really think all these kids are going to stay in Portland? Outlaw already has said publically, he should start, and would be happy playing where they give him shots, and this will continue. A team of 22 year olds, with all the talent in the world, sounds awesome on paper. But they read the internet, they hear the hype. Many of them will be somewhere else in 2 years. Then, it becomes a reality on who the team decided were the keepers, and who they let go. If they make the right decisions, then Portland will be sweet. If not, and they let a player get thru their fingers, they will tread water.

portland would resign their players then. you can never have too much talent, when you do, you STICK with them. resign them until the end of time!

remember you can resign ANY player from you're team that has had their contracts expire, so even if they had 5 future HOFamers in the making they can just resign them, they would be over the cap but can still resign them until the end of time :D

Hawkeye15
09-03-2008, 08:49 PM
portland would resign their players then. you can never have too much talent, when you do, you STICK with them. resign them until the end of time!

remember you can resign ANY player from you're team that has had their contracts expire, so even if they had 5 future HOFamers in the making they can just resign them, they would be over the cap but can still resign them until the end of time :D

there is no way they can afford to resign Roy, Oden, Aldridge, Bayless, Outlaw, Frye, Fernandez, Webster, etc. None. They will have to go over the cap Knicks wise to do that. Roy, Oden, and Aldridge are going to command over 10 million a year, easy. Not happening.

JMan17
09-03-2008, 09:02 PM
They will have to go over the cap

yea, that's the point, with that much young talent, ANY team would go over the cap for that. also, if the lakers can afford 3 players so far over 15 mill a year each player, then any team can too :)

SAVAGE CLAW
09-03-2008, 09:21 PM
Rudy is not going to be happy if he is relegated to bench after putting down a LOT of money from euro teams .

Oh and im surprised no one says he has ALLSTAR potential, did nobody see him Dropping 22 points against the "Redream" Team? He was being covered by Kobe, Wade, Lebron, Prince and still got 22 points with Three pointers , entering the zone and even Dunking on Howards Face.

What does an Euro have to do for you americans recognising his talent?.

SAVAGE CLAW
09-03-2008, 09:24 PM
I agree i would stay with Lebron, there is no way in hell Portland can resign all the players, because the ones on the bench that are legitimated to say they shoudl start because there is not that much difference between the so called starters and the benchmen are going to want out, SOON.

Outlow its been the first to Open his mouth, he wont be the last.

I think Bayless is Next.

Remeber Tj and Calderon.That stupid decision to keep both last season isntead of trading one of them right after 06-07 costed them at least 15 victorys and a higer seed because of the Cancer Locker room Atmosphere.

SAVAGE CLAW
09-03-2008, 09:26 PM
I also would like to recall previous, all the talent in the world and a lot of young guns squads.

Anyone remeber Miller, Odom, Maggete, Richardson,Brand, Kandi, Miles all in the same team? i do, they went NOWHERE.

and Hinrich, Gordon,Eddie Robinson, Fizer, Mercer,Artest, Brand, Miller, Chandler, Curry?

More NOTHING.

Hawkeye15
09-03-2008, 09:27 PM
yea, that's the point, with that much young talent, ANY team would go over the cap for that. also, if the lakers can afford 3 players so far over 15 mill a year each player, then any team can too :)

Portland Oregon is not Los Angeles, CA. They don't make the money in network deals and merchandise. They were way over the cap in the late 90's, and it didn't work. They won't do it again. The luxury tax is too much for a small market.

iHop
09-03-2008, 09:38 PM
Bron Bron

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
09-03-2008, 09:43 PM
Everyone should be saying LeBron, he is the kind of talent franchises dream of having.

Blazers have potential and that's about it.

LAcowBOMBER
09-03-2008, 09:49 PM
If you start from scratch with just Lebron then you would have the cap room to sign any other star that you want. I'd take Lebron, plus he's a proven player not just alot of potential.

philab
09-03-2008, 09:53 PM
I'm not sure. As a Cavaliers fan, I want to say LeBron, but that Portland roster is really tempting (plus they have Oden, who's one of my favorite non-Cavs players).

Again, I'm not sure. Am I the GM? Do I get to pick LeBron and then build around him? Or does LeBron come with the underwhelming cast of characters put together by Danny Ferry?

Oden, Roy, Bayless, Aldridge, and Rudy Fernandez all have extraordinary potential. Plus, if you care about such things, they all really seem to be likable, class characters.

On the other hand, LeBron's a talent the NBA has never seen before and is still only 23.

If I get to build the team around him (and I'm positive I could do better than Paxson/Ferry if you put me in as GM in 2003), then it's LeBron. If not, I think I still have to go LeBron, but that Portland roster is SCARY.

kobe24>jordan23
09-03-2008, 09:58 PM
blazers obviously why would anybody want to build around lebron when you CAN BUILD WITH A TEAM THAT HAS GREG ODEN BRANDON ROY AND ALRIDGE PLUS OUTLAW AND BAYLESS

SAVAGE CLAW
09-03-2008, 10:00 PM
I remebered another thing, does anyone on Blazers Back court know remotely what Defense means?

Hughe problem.

RocketsRule
09-03-2008, 10:02 PM
It's close, but I'd say Lebron.

He is a once in a lifetime player, being compared to the greats. He has lead a poor team into the NBA finals, and can put up 30 8 and 8. The guy is truly a beast, and although Portland has many promising players, I'd take Lebron's talent over there potential any day of the week.

29$JerZ
09-03-2008, 10:08 PM
I would rather build a team around LeBron. Portland looks nice on paper but they are still young and have little experience to make any splash.

znick21
09-03-2008, 10:11 PM
Portland Oregon is not Los Angeles, CA. They don't make the money in network deals and merchandise. They were way over the cap in the late 90's, and it didn't work. They won't do it again. The luxury tax is too much for a small market.

dude do you even know anything about paul allen? he's a billionaire and has previously stated that he has no problem going into the luxury tax and has proven it by acquiring draft picks like fernandez, sergio, and batum for cash. and i know they won't resign all of their players by 2010 which is good because there is such a thing as too much talent. they will retain most of them and the others they deem expendable they will let go or trade for other valuable assets. kevin pritchard isn't dumb he's ready for the future.

Durant is hype
09-03-2008, 10:18 PM
Put Lebron in Paul's shoes and he would got the Hornets to the Confrence Finals.Gimme Lebron

Lakersfan2483
09-03-2008, 10:41 PM
Build around Kobe. lol. Just Joking, I would rather build around King James.

dannyking18
09-03-2008, 11:14 PM
The cavaliers are set but there just missing one piece and thats a true known Center who is verry talented.a center who can score rebound and shot block,as far as i know cavaliers can sign a great center due to there salary cap they have alot to offer not too much but enof for a great center...some centers that come to my mind and that the cavaliers can affoed and is realistic,Al Horford(55.9%)emeka okafor can trade for him but he still needs to prove much more and amare stoudamire.those are the only 3 centers i say lebron would work well with and would fit.there are other centers but this are more realistic it might happen sooner or later amare stoudamire might leave suns are falling apart since they traded for shaq...

Fireworld
09-03-2008, 11:39 PM
Portland

Vidball
09-03-2008, 11:46 PM
If I had cap flexibility along w/Lebron I would definitely go for LBJ. If I didn't have the cap flexibility to add some other pieces I would go with the Blazers.

Boozerguy47
09-03-2008, 11:50 PM
Wow, I'm surprised this is so close. I'd take Portland easily.

stevefrancis
09-04-2008, 12:13 AM
ill take portlands team one player doesn't win you a championship. it can get you to the finals like lebron did already but that series wasn't even close. plus roy alridge oden and bayless are a nice four players to build around. they should have traded outlaw for miller when they had the chance then they would have a legit starting 5.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
09-04-2008, 12:20 AM
ill take portlands team one player doesn't win you a championship. it can get you to the finals like lebron did already but that series wasn't even close. plus roy alridge oden and bayless are a nice four players to build around. they should have traded outlaw for miller when they had the chance then they would have a legit starting 5.

Well, obviously it wouldn't just be one player..

You would have LeBron, and the be capable of building a team around him.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
09-04-2008, 12:20 AM
Wow, I'm surprised this is so close. I'd take Portland easily.

Why? Lebron is more talented then any one player the Blazers have..

Hotone1401
09-04-2008, 12:33 AM
This poll should not be this close. But it just goes to show you the love of Star Power Americans have in the game of basketball. Umm.....let's see...take the soon to be best player in the league or have a TEAM that is already set for the future. Easy, I take the TEAM. Give me Portland anyday.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
09-04-2008, 12:46 AM
This poll should not be this close. But it just goes to show you the love of Star Power Americans have in the game of basketball. Umm.....let's see...take the soon to be best player in the league or have a TEAM that is already set for the future. Easy, I take the TEAM. Give me Portland anyday.

You are not understanding the whole point though.

You wouldn't have LeBron James and a bunch of scrubs. It would be up to you how you want to build your team.

Now if you honestly think having a team like the Blazers who are still very unproven, is better then having LeBron James and some players of your choice as a GM, I don't know what to think of you..

SAVAGE CLAW
09-04-2008, 12:49 AM
1990 who would you rather have your franchise based on for the next seven years?

Michael Jordan

Or Cleveland Cavaliers? ( Harper, Ehlo,Price,Nance, Hotrod,Daugherty, Ferry).

Point, Games, Set , Match!!!

Zefflin
09-04-2008, 12:49 AM
The overall team thing gets me. I go Portland.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
09-04-2008, 01:14 AM
1990 who would you rather have your franchise based on for the next seven years?

Michael Jordan

Or Cleveland Cavaliers? ( Harper, Ehlo,Price,Nance, Hotrod,Daugherty, Ferry).

Point, Games, Set , Match!!!

Yeah that's a different time period a lot has changed.

That still doesn't deny the fact LeBron is the kind of player GM's dream about.

So your point was almost accurate, but just different era's.

Honestly though you would be crazy to not want to start a franchise with LeBron. What kind of team is Portland anyways? We don't even know much more then they have not made the playoffs with that team!

bigmac8675
09-04-2008, 01:31 AM
I would take the trailblazers. As great as Lebron is, in the end he is still only one man. I would rather have an entire team with decent talent over a single player with immense talent.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
09-04-2008, 01:54 AM
I would take the trailblazers. As great as Lebron is, in the end he is still only one man. I would rather have an entire team with decent talent over a single player with immense talent.

Again it wouldn't just be LeBron..

As the GM you still could surround him with the right players.

KG#1
09-04-2008, 02:43 AM
well lebron because id have actually players around him

Tom81
09-04-2008, 05:31 AM
I'd rather have the Portland TrailBlazers Roster for the next 7 years

innovator
09-04-2008, 05:34 AM
lebron

oden,bayless,fernandez,batum havent proved anything yet since they havent played a single game

LakerzDQ
09-04-2008, 05:58 AM
I would take the Portland Trailblazers roster and start trading like crazy.

Martell Webster+Travis Outlaw+Steve Blake+Channing Frye for Caron Butler+trash.
Caron Butler and Gilbert Arenas don't seem to work out, I dunno why. so this can happen. a solid pointguard, a good SG in Webster, a good athletic SF, and a young center filled with potential.

Nicolas Batum+Rudy Fernandez+LaMarcus Aldridge for Chris Bosh+trash. unite Fernandez with Calderone and it might actually work. Nicolas Batum has a lot of potential, and Raptors need a good wing player, so Batum can be it. Bosh is better than Aldridge, but Aldridge isn't bad.

Jerryd Bayless
Brandon Roy
Caron Butler
Chris Bosh
Greg Oden

this will be my team. lol. this is all a pipe dream, so no need to start shouting at me.

stawka
09-04-2008, 06:07 AM
I gotta go with LeBron. The kid is a freak. Even if he were to never win a game again, people would still swarm to watch him play. Add that in the mix that he does win games and does that well... Add also the fact that Danny Ferry hasn't "built" a team around him, and if he were to - LeBron with any good role players would do a lot of damage to this league.

I think a lot of you are forgetting if you "build" around a certain player, you have to put pieces in front of him that he can use - IE 3peat Lakers building around Shaq/Kobe, Bulls building around MJ etc. If the Cavs were to build around him, there would be some serious hell to pay for opposing teams.

mosdef17
09-04-2008, 06:28 AM
I would take the Portland Trailblazers roster and start trading like crazy.

Martell Webster+Travis Outlaw+Steve Blake+Channing Frye for Caron Butler+trash.
Caron Butler and Gilbert Arenas don't seem to work out, I dunno why. so this can happen. a solid pointguard, a good SG in Webster, a good athletic SF, and a young center filled with potential.

Nicolas Batum+Rudy Fernandez+LaMarcus Aldridge for Chris Bosh+trash. unite Fernandez with Calderone and it might actually work. Nicolas Batum has a lot of potential, and Raptors need a good wing player, so Batum can be it. Bosh is better than Aldridge, but Aldridge isn't bad.

Jerryd Bayless
Brandon Roy
Caron Butler
Chris Bosh
Greg Oden

this will be my team. lol. this is all a pipe dream, so no need to start shouting at me.

Thus this is why your not a head of basketball operations for an NBA Franchise. If you pulled the triggers on those deals you would be cursed in 3 years time for how you sold off so many excellent players and got two in return. Your basically doing this:

In
Chris Bosh
Caron Butler
"Trash" Blatche?
"Trash" Humphries?

Out
Martel Webster
Travis Outlaw
Steve Blake
Channing Frye
Nicolas Batum
Rudy Fernandez
LaMarcus Aldridge

Are you kidding me!!! Holy crap, no chance I'm doing that if I'm Portland. They are going to be special with this roster. Give them 3 years and everyone will be asking how the hell one franchise managed to pull that much talent. It is true they have proven nothing yet but thats how everyone started their career. A guy named Magic Johnson once rocked up having proven nothing... I'm not saying they will be like that but hey... everyone starts somewhere.

Your idea of a "Pipe Dream" is a nightmare to me...

LakerzDQ
09-04-2008, 07:32 AM
Thus this is why your not a head of basketball operations for an NBA Franchise. If you pulled the triggers on those deals you would be cursed in 3 years time for how you sold off so many excellent players and got two in return. Your basically doing this:

In
Chris Bosh
Caron Butler
"Trash" Blatche?
"Trash" Humphries?

Out
Martel Webster
Travis Outlaw
Steve Blake
Channing Frye
Nicolas Batum
Rudy Fernandez
LaMarcus Aldridge

Are you kidding me!!! Holy crap, no chance I'm doing that if I'm Portland. They are going to be special with this roster. Give them 3 years and everyone will be asking how the hell one franchise managed to pull that much talent. It is true they have proven nothing yet but thats how everyone started their career. A guy named Magic Johnson once rocked up having proven nothing... I'm not saying they will be like that but hey... everyone starts somewhere.

really, there's not enough space in the team for so much talent. if you've got 4 stars in your team, you're set.

I don't think either Webster or Outlaw will ever be as good as Caron Butler.
Aldridge will never be as good as Bosh.

Batum, Frye, and Fernandez are even more of a question mark, as to whether they will ever pan out. If I have so many stars that I can't fit them in my starting 5, I don't care about them. besides, paying 4 max players is much cheaper than paying 7-8.

$ NyC $
09-04-2008, 08:04 AM
but if you got portlands roster..you got like 3 all-stars on that team...and another all-star and 2 starters..so you could trade that potential all-star from the bench and those should be starters 4 other needs and such

$ NyC $
09-04-2008, 08:07 AM

In
Chris Bosh
Caron Butler
"Trash" Blatche?
"Trash" Humphries?

Out
Martel Webster
Travis Outlaw
Steve Blake
Channing Frye
Nicolas Batum
Rudy Fernandez
LaMarcus Aldridge

those trades would basically ruin the team loll...great starting 5..but where the hells the bench?!

mosdef17
09-04-2008, 08:10 AM
really, there's not enough space in the team for so much talent. if you've got 4 stars in your team, you're set.

I don't think either Webster or Outlaw will ever be as good as Caron Butler.
Aldridge will never be as good as Bosh.

Batum, Frye, and Fernandez are even more of a question mark, as to whether they will ever pan out. If I have so many stars that I can't fit them in my starting 5, I don't care about them. besides, paying 4 max players is much cheaper than paying 7-8.

Outlaw or Webster don't need to be as good as Butler though and to trade all of those people for a bit of an upgrade it's really not worth it. If Outlaw is the weak spot in the team then your traveling quite well.

Same as the Aldridge vs. Bosh situation, he doesn't need to be as good as Bosh. He will be a very, very good player and in his prime will be a lot better then most power forwards in the game. Batum, Fernandez and Frye may not all turn into superstars but they will not all flop that is for sure. Fernandez should be alright as he is comparable to Jose Calderon. Batum they say will be used as a defensive stopper, which is a good idea because they don't need anymore scoring and Batum is longgggg as *******!! Incredibly long and defense (when you have a body like he does) is 100% effort and so there is only a very slight chance he could totally flop at that. Bowen went underrated, isn't a good player but put in the effort and made a career playing defense. It's a tough issue but I just don't like the idea of trading away 8 players that are either already good or have All-Star potential for 2 players, 1 who will begin to decline in 2-3 years.

Hawkeye15
09-04-2008, 02:02 PM
dude do you even know anything about paul allen? he's a billionaire and has previously stated that he has no problem going into the luxury tax and has proven it by acquiring draft picks like fernandez, sergio, and batum for cash. and i know they won't resign all of their players by 2010 which is good because there is such a thing as too much talent. they will retain most of them and the others they deem expendable they will let go or trade for other valuable assets. kevin pritchard isn't dumb he's ready for the future.

Yeah, Paul was the one who assembled the Jailblazers. A $90 million payroll that became a joke. Know all about him. He may have all the money in the world, but as these players mature, and many of them understand that if they went elsewhere, they will get a bigger role, they are gone. You CANNOT keep all that youngtalent anymore. It doesn't work that way. Sorry. The only way a lot of talent works is when vets, who have gone off and played on their own, because they wanted to be the man, realize that they need help, and are willing to take a role. Young players don't have that yet

mrblisterdundee
09-04-2008, 02:18 PM
Even LeBron can't win championships by himself; neither could Michael Jordan.

JordansBulls
09-04-2008, 02:36 PM
Even LeBron can't win championships by himself; neither could Michael Jordan.

Duh, it isn't one on one basketball.

Also, who says Portland will win the title?

This is about would you rather take your chances with Porland's roster for the next 7 years or having your team built around Lebron as the best player not knowing who the other players are? The other players could be via free agency, draft, etc.

RoyalG333
09-04-2008, 03:29 PM
Lebron is the obvious choice but I think I would go with Portland. They have young talent, and they are one solid year away from becoming a contender level team. The only question is Greg Oden. If he lives up to the hype, I think the Blazers will be a force. Bayless and Fernandez will be good role type players, and I think the trio of Aldrige, Roy and Oden are going to be very tough. I think they need to get a couple more veteran guys to surround them. You have a better shot at a dynasty than having lebron alone and trying to get one or two other all star level players in the mix. Plus, Lebrons contracts are always going to be so big, it will be harder the find the right people to surround Lebron given the financial restrictions of a given team.

BlondeBomber41
09-04-2008, 03:41 PM

Portland does. Portland has always been like the Mavs, Lakers, KNICKS, etc.

Always a team willing to pay to keep their talent and not worry about the cap.

Hawkeye15
09-04-2008, 04:50 PM
Portland does. Portland has always been like the Mavs, Lakers, KNICKS, etc.

Always a team willing to pay to keep their talent and not worry about the cap.

paying huge money means nothing most of the time. Back in the late 90's, early 2000's, Portlands payroll was around 85-90 million. it didn't matter. And the Lakers have that one guy who changes everything, then added a few good player around him. My point is, with all this youth, many are going to want to make a name for themselves. It is not realistic, even if they spend 100 million to attempt to keep them, to think that all these guys will stay. Fernandez will want big minutes. Bayless, Webster, Outlaw, Batum, all of them eventually will want more minutes and shots. It is inevitable. This team will look different in a few years, and the important thing for Portland to do is decide which ones they MUST keep, and which ones they should let go.

Ansy
09-04-2008, 06:05 PM
paying huge money means nothing most of the time. Back in the late 90's, early 2000's, Portlands payroll was around 85-90 million. it didn't matter. And the Lakers have that one guy who changes everything, then added a few good player around him. My point is, with all this youth, many are going to want to make a name for themselves. It is not realistic, even if they spend 100 million to attempt to keep them, to think that all these guys will stay. Fernandez will want big minutes. Bayless, Webster, Outlaw, Batum, all of them eventually will want more minutes and shots. It is inevitable. This team will look different in a few years, and the important thing for Portland to do is decide which ones they MUST keep, and which ones they should let go.

But Portland has all the chips. These guys will be restricted free agents so Portland gets to pick and choose who to build around and who to trade away. Paul Allen is ridiculously rich and has shown a willingness to lose money to compete for a championship (With a roster less packed than this). The young guys may want minutes and shot attempts (most young guys do), so you're right that they probably won't be 9-10 players deep by the time all is said and done, but the players can't just bolt, because their free agency will be restricted. Portland will hold on to them as assets until an opportunity to make the team better arises.

Basically, I agree with your main point, that Portland won't hold on to all this young talent. But I disagree that losing the talent will necessarily hurt the team, because Portland won't let ANY of them go for nothing.

$ NyC $
09-04-2008, 06:14 PM
exactly...Portland will be in the position to do as they please...sign/trade that stuff...they will be in control..

Hawkeye15
09-04-2008, 06:57 PM
But Portland has all the chips. These guys will be restricted free agents so Portland gets to pick and choose who to build around and who to trade away. Paul Allen is ridiculously rich and has shown a willingness to lose money to compete for a championship (With a roster less packed than this). The young guys may want minutes and shot attempts (most young guys do), so you're right that they probably won't be 9-10 players deep by the time all is said and done, but the players can't just bolt, because their free agency will be restricted. Portland will hold on to them as assets until an opportunity to make the team better arises.

Basically, I agree with your main point, that Portland won't hold on to all this young talent. But I disagree that losing the talent will necessarily hurt the team, because Portland won't let ANY of them go for nothing.

oh, no no no, I don't necessarily think they will be worse off. In fact, the opposite. This is a team that can dominate for the next 7 years. You want to lose some of that talent, and bring in some guys who are happy with 10 mpg, and defined roles. Too much young talent can not coexist, that was my point. But they have to make sure they keep the right guys. Does anyone remember the Warriors from around 1992-3? Remember the young talent they had? Webber, Hardaway, Owens, Sprewell, Mullin, and much more. You don't know what kind of a man someone will be when they are 21. Only time will tell, but I do think Portland is the model for what teams that are non contenders are doing right now. They have a TON of potential

kylem4711
09-04-2008, 08:41 PM
this is a hell of a question. good thread

SAVAGE CLAW
09-04-2008, 09:15 PM
In control? they can enslave them just for 1 more year thats it, I guarantee you that if Rudy is not the starter in 3 years time he wont accept a long term contract, if they go in "WE WILL MATCH" mode he will just say either ok IM going back to europe or ok give me the one year qualyfing and next summer bye bye you morons.

Just wait and see.

SAVAGE CLAW
09-04-2008, 09:16 PM
Players should push HARD for the elimination of restricted FA is absolutely inmoral to tarnish someones career with such a "right".

Hawkeye15
09-04-2008, 09:34 PM
In control? they can enslave them just for 1 more year thats it, I guarantee you that if Rudy is not the starter in 3 years time he wont accept a long term contract, if they go in "WE WILL MATCH" mode he will just say either ok IM going back to europe or ok give me the one year qualyfing and next summer bye bye you morons.

Just wait and see.

pretty brutal way to put it, but yeah. Exactly. Only time will tell if Portland clinged and convinced the right players.

Ansy
09-04-2008, 09:38 PM
Players should push HARD for the elimination of restricted FA is absolutely inmoral to tarnish someones career with such a "right".

After Shaq bolted and ruined the Magic franchise the league had to do something and the idea of restricted free agency isn't bad in my opinion. I think the real problem with restricted FA is how long the team in possession of a players' rights has to match an offer. A week is too long for most teams to lock up their cap room. If they only had 24-hours, for example, then a lot more teams would be bidding on restricted free agents and players like Josh Smith and Josh Childress would have more flexibility in their negotiations.

Hawkeye15
09-04-2008, 09:42 PM
After Shaq bolted and ruined the Magic franchise the league had to do something and the idea of restricted free agency isn't bad in my opinion. I think the real problem with restricted FA is how long the team in possession of a players' rights has to match an offer. A week is too long for most teams to lock up their cap room. If they only had 24-hours, for example, then a lot more teams would be bidding on restricted free agents and players like Josh Smith and Josh Childress would have more flexibility in their negotiations.

I am somewhat in agreement. 14 days is way too long to match. It should be like 72 hrs or something along those lines. 14 days allows you to be able to make calls, seek options, while at the same time, making the player think he isn't wanted, which is why there is so much disloyalty in todays game.

Ansy
09-04-2008, 10:17 PM

Just wait and see.

So now we're just assuming that nobody wants to play for the Blazers and that players are willing to lose millions of dollars to leave the team? If that's the case then obviously they're going to lose a lot of guys, but that assumption seems patently absurd to me. To be honest, your post is so filled with unnecessary hateful words like "morons" and "enslave" that it's hard for me to respond seriously because your seem like little more than a hater, but here goes...

Historically, the league is FULL of examples of very talented players taking smaller roles to compete, even when young. Look at the '02 Kings, for example. Bobby Jackson would have started on 20 NBA teams but happily came off the bench and kicked *** doing it. Just this year Sasha Vujacic signed a small contract to play with the Lakers when he is good enough to get 30 minutes on some teams. Consequently, while it's fair to say that minute and shot issues are likely, I don't believe that there is a 100% chance that they will even come up.

There are also players like Joe Johnson who wanted more shots, but he was not willing to sacrifice millions of dollars to get them. If the Suns had been willing to pay him he would have had to stay. A player actually signing the 1-year qualifying offer is something that happens so rarely these days, and usually it has more to do with not being paid enough then with not getting enough minutes. It just seems very unlikely to me that your doomsday scenario will happen. A trade where Portland receives quality assets in return just seems much more likely to me.

I do feel, however, that we're digressing from the point of the thread. If you chose the Blazers roster (which I did) then it probably had more to do with your expectations of the three-headed monster of Aldridge, Roy and Oden then because of what you expect from the 4-10th guys. If Outlaw bolts or makes such a fuss that he needs to be traded for nothing more than a pick, the Blazers will survive.

superkegger
09-04-2008, 10:26 PM
It's a tough call. but i'd take the blazers. As good as Lebron is, hes only one man. If Oden lives up to even half the hype he has, he'll be an all star center, and thats pretty nice to have, since roy is allready and all star and Aldridge is not far behind. With guys like bayless, outlaw, frye, fernandez, rodriguez, batum, webster and the cap space, theres just too much talent to pass up even if some of them don't pan out to the level they want, there is still enough talent to make up for it.

SAVAGE CLAW
09-04-2008, 10:47 PM
Sasha Vujacic? 30 minutes? Where?

And by the Way, if Rudy Fernandez was in the lakers and the one keeping him from being a starter was KOBE BRYANT, of course he wouldnt say a crap about it.

The problems is that he is NOT worse than Roy and DEFINETLY not Worse than Bayless or Webster, so of course he is not going to stay there playing second fiddle for Inferior Competence, just like Calderon would have not wanted to resign if Tj was still in Toronto, he was better and he was always benched because of the american homerism of Sam , Fortunately for him and for the raptors Tj injured and Calderon was able to show he was BETTER.

BUt im afraid Rudy is not going to Have that chance.

And he is not the only one being underused in that Team, Outlow is not Worse than Webster he surely has a case to be SOUR and want to start.

And im not so convinced that Aldrige is that superior to Channing Frye For example.

Oh and talking about money, Rudy left offers like 6 times richer in europe to sign for the Blazers, if he does not get 30 minutes a game, even if it is as 6th man he is not going to be happy.

Beno7500
09-04-2008, 11:29 PM
I'd rather build around Lebron for the next 7 years

Ansy
09-04-2008, 11:50 PM
BUt im afraid Rudy is not going to Have that chance.

Why are you so convinced Rudy will be underused?

Here's a quote from Nate McMillan about Rudy

"I was so impressed with him that it was to the point where after the second time I saw him, I didn't sleep that night because I was moving my rotations around," McMillan said. "I swear I did not sleep. I could not sleep thinking about him. Because I'm saying, 'We can put him here, do this with him, do that with him and Brandon (Roy), and do this... So he's playing for us. Oh yeah. I see that right now."

McMillan loves the kid and he's going to play.

When I think about players who are likely to bolt due to loss of minutes I think of Channing Frye and Travis Outlaw, the latter being largely because Rudy's going to eat up all his minutes.

SAVAGE CLAW
09-05-2008, 12:12 AM
Because he is Spanish, and here in spain we all noticed how much did he like Sergio Rodriguez, And wich kind of fair chances he gave him, considering his rivals for minutes were such "starry" and "dazzling" players as Jack or Blake.

So now make that ROY who is an allstar and Outlow and new sensation mr Ballhog Bayless.

Tha Truth
09-05-2008, 12:37 AM
Real close.

I'd have to go with Portland though.

They are a young team with tons of talent.

It's just a matter of time before they are the front runners in the West.

LeBron is simply a beast though.

Once in a lifetime type of player right there.

Ansy
09-05-2008, 01:16 AM
Because he is Spanish, and here in spain we all noticed how much did he like Sergio Rodriguez, And wich kind of fair chances he gave him, considering his rivals for minutes were such "starry" and "dazzling" players as Jack or Blake.

So now make that ROY who is an allstar and Outlow and new sensation mr Ballhog Bayless.

I didn't realize people in Spain saw Rodriguez's benching as racism. I thought it was pretty widely accepted that he just wasn't good enough. He didn't make the national team this year, right?

He turns the ball over a lot and is very inefficient at scoring. He shot 35% last year, after all. Would you have given him more than 8 minutes per game shooting that badly? Jack and Blake aren't great players but I think that both are better than Rodriguez.

I don't think McMillan's racist and I don't believe Rudy will have trouble getting on the floor. All Blazers fans will be worse off if that's the case.

blackjack_119
09-05-2008, 02:03 AM

I don't know why you think Rudy and Sergio are going to have the same future in Portland. The talent level is strikingly different between the two. Rudy was the second best player on the Spanish National Team behind Gasol. Sergio couldn't even make the team. I know Calderon and Ricky Rubio are better than Sergio Rodriguez, but if he is so talented, he should have been able to beat out Raul Lopez for the third PG spot. You can't blame racism for a Spanish player not making the Spanish National Team. It all comes down to talent... not race.

dre1990
09-05-2008, 02:04 AM
portlands roster, and it didnt take me 2 seconds to think about

Hellcrooner
09-05-2008, 02:53 AM
Sergio lost his spot in national team because of the lack of playing time in Blazers, last year coach still took him , and he played horrible, and out of rythm, this year tey ddint want to take teh risk, i may also report that other spanish world chamin Pg , Carlos cabezas, sometimes even rumored to be ngotiationg with nba team didnt make it either.

Wich only shows how deep is Spain at Pg position.

Hellcrooner
09-05-2008, 02:54 AM
i guess he didnt mean dsicrimination by race, but by COUNTRY.

blazers=future
09-05-2008, 08:50 PM
i'm taking Portland's roster simply because they already have the pieces in place....
Cleveland have been trying to build around LeBron for a while now and its clearly not as easy as pulling off a few trades here or there... there is probably some luck involved as well
Portland now have enough talent to maybe after this season trade away a few of the nice young pieces for an all-star or solid veteran.

big c
09-06-2008, 09:07 AM
unless your gonna build around lbj with d-wade,d.howard and bosh,i'll take portland in a heartbeat.

$ NyC $
09-06-2008, 09:22 AM
also in the end you ultimately will have more flexibility with the Portland roster

IversonIsKrazy
09-06-2008, 11:28 PM
blazers w.o a doubt.

PG: Bayless/Blake
SG: B-Roy/Fernandez
SF: Outlaw/Webster
PF: Aldrige/?
C: Oden/?

JordansBulls
06-04-2009, 12:24 PM
Thought this would be a good time to bump this one after the season has been played for both Portland and Lebron.

It appears both have done better than anyone would have imagined last season.

Lakers4ItAll
06-04-2009, 01:08 PM
Like this season? Honestly Lebron or Portland hasn't proven anything, winning it all is all that matters. So picking Portland because they are already a good team would be the smart choice.

LeBron's a one in a million type player. You cant possibly pass him up. As long as you get him to the playoffs, he'll single-handedly get you to the finals.

Blah Blah Blah
06-04-2009, 01:26 PM
Portland's roster cuz they got a good team whereas you c wut happened to cleveland. Lebron has no help whatsoever. With portland you also get multiple weapons and more team oriented.

Fireworld
06-04-2009, 01:27 PM
I'd rather have the Portland TrailBlazers Roster

Raoul Duke_91
06-04-2009, 04:11 PM
well this is a simple awnser.
who made it farther in this years playoffs? Lebron
who has already made the finals? Lebron
who is closer to winning it? Lebron
who would I rather build a team around? Lebron

Raoul Duke_91
06-04-2009, 04:13 PM
^^^^^
not to mention that you could probably market Lebron for more than then entire trailblazers team