PDA

View Full Version : What is the Phoenix Suns Front Office Doing?

JordansBulls
09-03-2008, 02:57 PM
This question came up regarding the Suns and if their front management was cheap or not.

Can someone explain to me why they would trade Rudy Fernandez & James Jones to save $2.5 Million?

It's still hard to believe that their ownership would be that cheap.

Now they trade DJ Strawberry for Sean Singletary to save $500K.

Phoenix doesn't even have 12 players on their roster,the cheapness of their owner is causing them to fail to retool with young talent causing them to slip in the Western Conference.

Now let's look at a few things the Suns management has done over the past few years to save money.

They also traded Rajon Rondo, Luol Deng and Sergio Rodriguez for cheap on draft day.

Let's look closely at each of these deals.

Luol Deng was traded for Jackson Vroman,Nate Robinson,& cash.

Nate Robinson in turn was traded along with Quentin Richardson for Kurt Thomas & Dijion Thompson

Rajon Rondo was traded to Boston along with Brian Grant for Rudy Fernandez & cash

Sergio Rodriguez was traded to Portland for cash

Rudy Fernandez was in turn traded along with James Jones to Portland for $2.5 Million.

So this basically means Phoenix traded Luol Deng,Nate Robinson,Rajon Rondo,Sergio Rodriguez,& Rudy Fernandez for cash.

What do you think, was the Phoenix Suns management being cheap?

FOBolous
09-03-2008, 03:29 PM
wow they had all those players? man they would've been an amazing team if they kept those players

AirJordanXVIII
09-03-2008, 03:39 PM
HAHAHA. That is rididculous.. I guess they just go after proven talent instead of young players with potential...

Wow. That's a amazing list of players they've given up.

heyman321
09-03-2008, 03:42 PM
The Suns ARE cheap. They have made such dumb moves. And after all that they trade for Shaq who takes like $20 mil a year? Bad moves. Not to mention they traded Kurt Thomas to save like 3 mil and he ended up on the Spurs. How ironic. IMO, Phoenix could have won the championship in 04-05, and in 06-07. It's a shame.

40oz
09-03-2008, 03:43 PM
yeah i been saying the same sheet also...championships cost money...so, i guess we wont being one in phoenix anytime soon...

lavis
09-03-2008, 03:47 PM
The owner is cheap. And will be. Too bad :(

cmellofan15
09-03-2008, 03:50 PM
Wow they might've had a ring by now if they kept 2 of those players...

JordansBulls
09-03-2008, 03:52 PM
I think it was overlooked because they have been a contender for the past 4 years or so, but now putting things in perspective it seems that management was just trying to save money.

MoBASS
09-03-2008, 03:54 PM
I recommend everyone read this article. I pity Suns fans for having such a ****** owner. They could've easily had a starting 5 of:

Nash
Joe Johnson
Iguodala
Marion
Stoudemire

..except they were and still are cheap as hell.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/080501

IndyRealist
09-03-2008, 04:00 PM
They were doing everything they could to keep together the core of Nash, Stoudamire, Marion, Barbosa, and Diaw. I think they overpaid Diaw and thus had to trade away players that could have been starters or key role players on a championship team. Phoenix is a medium-sized market and the Suns thought they could win a championship with 4 high-priced players and no bench. Obviously that didn't happen. The playoffs are a high pressure marathon, and if you can't go 8-9 deep on your roster you might as well forfeit and go home. Imagine if they had Rondo give Nash a breather and let Barbosa play SG. Imagine if they had Luol Deng....sometimes paying the luxury tax is worth it.

PG: Steve Nash/Rajon Rondo
SG: Raja Bell/Leandro Barbosa
SF: Luol Deng/James Jones
PF: Shawn Marion/Boris Diaw
C: Amare Stoudamire/Sean Marks

All they had to do was NOT trade anyone.

ink
09-03-2008, 04:00 PM
Haven't we already done this thread a few times JB? I've posted in threads like it in the NBA forum. Yes, the Suns have been cheap after over-spending on their core. Is there really any doubt?

_Sn1P3r_
09-03-2008, 04:02 PM
HAHAHA. That is rididculous.. I guess they just go after proven talent instead of young players with potential...

I agree. They should keep their picks next time.

JordansBulls
09-03-2008, 04:04 PM
Haven't we already done this thread a few times JB? I've posted in threads like it in the NBA forum. Yes, the Suns have been cheap after over-spending on their core. Is there really any doubt?

Not sure actually. I've seen some about the Bulls, but nothing about the Suns, unless someone made some posts in a thread about them.

fresh prince
09-03-2008, 04:05 PM
The Suns wont even make the Playoffs this year. I feel for Amare..dude is a beast

pebloemer
09-03-2008, 04:06 PM
Is there really a need for a poll? Who will vote no?

29$JerZ
09-03-2008, 04:11 PM
PHX = Cheap :)

It's one thing to save money for your team, but another to continually trade talent for the sake of keeping your team the same. Now they are changing their philosophy. I don't know what they are going to do.

Rome
09-03-2008, 04:12 PM
To say the Suns won't make the playoffs is ridiculous unless were hit with major injuries it won't happen.

How do you think we suns fans feel? I remember those drafts with selecting Deng and being so excited and also Nate Robinson and then hearing them being traded ten minutes later. Its a shame but obviously they didn't think Deng would prove to be so good and yea they needed to keep our core players together is the main reason. Cheap or not were in good shape to make a final push for the finals.

ink
09-03-2008, 04:41 PM
Not sure actually. I've seen some about the Bulls, but nothing about the Suns, unless someone made some posts in a thread about them.

yeah, right at the end of last season there were a couple of threads on the cheap Suns. Yup they're cheap - in an overspending (read: Shaq or Shawn Marion) sort of way.

JMan17
09-03-2008, 05:00 PM
dude suns have the worst GM ever. (steve kerr, loved him as a player, but a horrible GM)

As much as i hate the suns, they could of won 1 or 2 championships by now! With that much depth, talent, young players, a veteran PG, they had everything! You know, i still hate the suns, but now i feel about for them, having such a sucky ownership to ruin a team that could of been champions by now, just wow.

P.S. they also traded Joe Johnson for not that much, i can't believe what team they could of had, THEY WOULD OF BEEN THE BEST FOR 5 YEARS RUNNING! HOLY SH**!

JPHX
09-03-2008, 05:12 PM
Kerr wasnt even GM when all those trades happend. the only major trade kerr made was the shaq/marion trade. so to say that a one year gm is horrible is not really fair.

and the reason we sold all these solid players away is because we overpaid the wrong people in diaw and barbosa.

2nd all those people mentioned (deng, robinson, rondo, etc.) all developed into good players because of where they landed. put them all together and when they were rooks then they wouldnt have developed into the players they are today.

bleedprple&gold
09-03-2008, 05:30 PM
2nd all those people mentioned (deng, robinson, rondo, etc.) all developed into good players because of where they landed. put them all together and when they were rooks then they wouldnt have developed into the players they are today.

Yes that may be true, but there is not denying that is a talented list of players that definately could have helped them win a championship, plus when Shaq and Nash retired they would still have a very strong team to continue contending with. Looks like the GM thought these guys wouldn't be able to help the team right away so they were worth giving up to save some money. If the Suns kept these players they would be contending for a title and be set for the future, but the bottom line is it all comes down to money so that couldn't happen.

JPHX
09-03-2008, 05:47 PM
Yes that may be true, but there is not denying that is a talented list of players that definately could have helped them win a championship, plus when Shaq and Nash retired they would still have a very strong team to continue contending with. Looks like the GM thought these guys wouldn't be able to help the team right away so they were worth giving up to save some money. If the Suns kept these players they would be contending for a title and be set for the future, but the bottom line is it all comes down to money so that couldn't happen.

and had we kept these players acquiring shaq would have been less likely. quite frankly im happy of how things turned out. we may have given up players that turned out to be real solid, but nevertheless we are still a title contending team.

JMan17
09-03-2008, 05:54 PM
and had we kept these players acquiring shaq would have been less likely. quite frankly im happy of how things turned out. we may have given up players that turned out to be real solid, but nevertheless we are still a title contending team.

lol I'm not sure about that one...

but yea i meant the ownership overall (even though i was wrong about kerr) yet you would rather have this lineup...

PG: Nash
SG: Bell
SF: Hill
PF: Amare
C: Shaq

then this lineup?

SG: Joe Johnson
SF: Loul Dang
PF: Marion
C: Amare

everyone of those players are stars.

JPHX
09-03-2008, 06:12 PM
lol I'm not sure about that one...

but yea i meant the ownership overall (even though i was wrong about kerr) yet you would rather have this lineup...

SG: Bell
SF: Hill
PF: Amare
C: Shaq

then this lineup?

SG: Joe Johnson
SF: Loul Dang
PF: Marion
C: Amare

everyone of those players are stars.

actually i would take our current lineup anyday of the week and twice on sunday only because of how the west is built. you look at all the western powerhouses san antonio, lakers, houston, all have one or more 7 footers. we have tried fast pace small ball under dantoni and that has gotten us nowhere. we need big bodies to contest shots and rebound. plus amare is a natural power forward, not a center.

Rome
09-03-2008, 06:23 PM
actually i would take our current lineup anyday of the week and twice on sunday only because of how the west is built. you look at all the western powerhouses san antonio, lakers, houston, all have one or more 7 footers. we have tried fast pace small ball under dantoni and that has gotten us nowhere. we need big bodies to contest shots and rebound. plus amare is a natural power forward, not a center.

Agreed JPHX. Small ball run and gun did good in the regular season but didn't get us all the way in the playoffs. Our lineup as of now can IMO. Marion landed us Shaq and Joe Johnson landed us a key backup in Robin Lopez. Giving away all those players kept keep our core players together and it will all payoff.

superkegger
09-03-2008, 07:22 PM
Of course they're cheap. And what wasn't mentioned is the Kurt Thomas deal, which is absolutely ridiculous. They traded him (as well as 2008 first round pick (Serge Ibaka) and a 2010 first round pick for a 9 million trade exception they haven't used.

BRADfromOZ
09-03-2008, 07:26 PM
they're not being cheap, just dumb.

Hawkeye15
09-03-2008, 07:39 PM
The Suns wont even make the Playoffs this year. I feel for Amare..dude is a beast

Denver is out, Portland in. How does Phx fall out?

dre1990
09-03-2008, 07:42 PM
never thought about it but they are kinda cheep

ARMIN12NBA
09-03-2008, 07:45 PM
What do you think, was the Phoenix Suns management being cheap?

No question about it.

I didn't realize cash is considered proven talent.

Is there really a need for a poll? Who will vote no?

Phoenix Suns fans.

Beno7500
09-03-2008, 07:55 PM
They are very cheap. Except they signed Shaq which was not cheap.

JordansBulls
09-04-2008, 01:05 PM
The Shaq move was risky. It would have been better going after JO instead and having a lineup of:

Nash
Bell
Barnes
JO
Amare

Because it at least gives the Suns a few more years of contention.

Speaking of them contending I was wondering why they didn't get more than Barnes this offseason and the reason was below.

Source: SI (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/marty_burns/09/03/pacific/1.html)

Unwilling to make many moves because of the luxury tax, Kerr did manage to add one key reinforcement in the form of Barnes.

I looked at their upcoming salary and I see that they are at $74,462,245. The Luxury Tax is 71.15 Million.

That doesn't seem like too much over the cap.

But then again, who else can the Suns get at this point that would help them?

I think had they gotten Diop instead of the Mavs getting him that could have been what they needed for the interior.

PHX-SOXFAN
09-04-2008, 01:24 PM
I think it was overlooked because they have been a contender for the past 4 years or so, but now putting things in perspective it seems that management was just trying to save money.

They have one of the cheapest owners in pro sports. He is the opposite of Mark Cuban. He will not give one bit of his profit to in turn make more profit and put a better product on the court. The guy ridiculous. It pisses me off even thinking about it. We actually have had a few people defend this cheap piece of crap in our forum. It is beyond me how maying a few million in luxury tax over the past few years would not be worth it.

the man has completely crapped all over this fanbase yet still gets off the hook because the team is still good.

mrblisterdundee
09-04-2008, 01:39 PM
I love Steve Kerr. He's such an inept general manager, which is so great for other teams looking to get better at the expense of Phoenix. The NBA should give an award for the worst GM, and Steve Kerr, Kevin McHale, and Isiah Thomas (just for old times sake) should be the only names on the ballot.

DerekRE_3
09-04-2008, 01:50 PM

Great thread. I never thought about that. People never really looked closely at some of the small trades the Suns have made in the past. I totally forgot they drafted Luol Deng until you mentioned it.

gcoll
09-04-2008, 01:56 PM
The Phoenix Suns management has been cheap for a while now.

Not sure why you're noticing it now.

We've lost lots of good players.

gza4242
09-04-2008, 02:36 PM
Great thread

i see people saying that the other guys got better because were they landed.....who is to say that rondo and deng or Ig wouldnt have blossomed in phoenix. When nash got injured you could have seen the development of rondo and would have a couple of years to develop. Shaq trade was bad should have just kept marion and gotten better. But I must say i love the owner cheap bastard. all the owners need to get on the same page.

DerekRE_3
09-04-2008, 02:48 PM
The Phoenix Suns management has been cheap for a while now.

Not sure why you're noticing it now.

We've lost lots of good players.

Like Joe Johnson?

GCOOKIE7
09-04-2008, 03:24 PM
http://content.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/salaries/totalpayroll.aspx?year=2006-07

ya they looked real cheap at the top of the list!

masalex1205
09-04-2008, 03:36 PM
Shaq trade=dumbest trade ever, now they are stuck with his salary and a fat declining injury prone player

RoyalG333
09-04-2008, 03:52 PM
Im sure Kerr has game plan written out in his mind to fix all of this. But sounds idiotic to me to give up those players for cash and then go out and get an old out of shape Shaq for like 25 Mil. Haha!

futureman
09-04-2008, 05:06 PM
their desparation of the last 6 years has let too many quality draft pick slip out of their hands all on the vain hope that offense can win a championship.

$ NyC $
09-04-2008, 05:20 PM
damn...didn't kno they had all that talent...damn maybe not cheap..hmm i would say...

DUMB

theimortalone
09-04-2008, 10:56 PM
their desparation of the last 6 years has let too many quality draft pick slip out of their hands all on the vain hope that offense can win a championship.

I hope that you do realize that that Phoenix has Mike D to blame for only playing offense and no defense.

bothfeef
09-05-2008, 06:00 AM
There is a good Bill Simmons article somewhere on ESPN, I can't find it, that details how poorly the Sun's management has handled things. ie. they trading away Joe Johnson because they didn't want to pay him but then signed Marcus Banks and Diaw to ridiculous deals.

dodie53
09-05-2008, 09:26 AM
so sad..

Iceman_9
09-05-2008, 11:59 AM
The owner is cheap and his players are old. :D

IversonIsKrazy
09-06-2008, 11:32 PM
wow, i never knew they had so many players. this wouldda bin their line-up if they neva did n-e thing.

PG: Nash/Rondo <-- Best pg duo
SG: Bell/Fernandez
SF: Deng/Hill
PF: Matrix/?
C: Amare/?

JPHX
09-07-2008, 04:43 PM
wow, i never knew they had so many players. this wouldda bin their line-up if they neva did n-e thing.

PG: Nash/Rondo <-- Best pg duo
SG: Bell/Fernandez
PF: Matrix/?
C: Amare/?

Amare at the 5? he is a natural power forward. we have played him as a 5 the past 4 years and has been out rebounded by the tim duncan's and yao ming's. this lineup would have still gotten torn up on the boards. sorry but id take our current lineup still.

IversonIsKrazy
09-07-2008, 08:53 PM
well i'd keep rajon rondo, fernadez, deng, and joe johnson. say if u did the shaq trade and nate robinson + q trade, u'd b better than tha celtics + lakers.

PG: Nash/Rondo
SG: Joe/Bell/Fernandez
PF: Amare/Kurt
C: Shaq/Lopez

DODGERS&LAKERS
09-07-2008, 09:08 PM
well i'd keep rajon rondo, fernadez, deng, and joe johnson. say if u did the shaq trade and nate robinson + q trade, u'd b better than tha celtics + lakers.

Its a nice theory. But its quite impossible. That payroll would be over $100 million. NBA owners are in the business of making money. They did not become rich by giving away millions of dollars.

JPHX
09-07-2008, 09:18 PM

what im trying to say is if you know the history of the trades you would take our current lineup.

joe johnson got a lucrative offer of six years about 70 mil from the hawks.
so had we kept him going after shaq would have been unlikely because of financial reasons. the suns were about to match the offer but johnson said not to, saying does not want to be the role player anymore. trading joe also got us the draft pick in which we used it to draft lopez. we also got dragic a guy we almost took in the first round

LA_Raiders
09-08-2008, 01:24 AM
Yes...

JordansBulls
09-08-2008, 08:33 AM
Yes...

What the heck does that mean? That adds nothing to this thread.

LA_Raiders
09-09-2008, 12:45 AM

LA_Raiders
09-09-2008, 12:46 AM
[QUOTE=JordansBulls;6562040]What the heck does that mean?

We just score dude....

LA_Raiders
09-09-2008, 12:47 AM
Oh **** wrong thread my bad lol....