PDA

View Full Version : whats your definition of a number 1 option

barreleffact
09-03-2008, 12:04 AM
take pheonix as a prime example. who is teh number 1 guy? nash because he has the ball 85% of the time, or amare because 10 of the remaining 15% its in his hands and hhe's the one scoring. what defines a number 1 guy? the guy who scores for you or the guy who is the leader

DODGERS&LAKERS
09-03-2008, 12:15 AM
The way you know who is the number 1 guy is the guy who has his hands on the ball the majority of the time. Nash is not just holding it and doing nothing with it. He is trying to get other players involved or score himself. If Amare was that much better than Nash, they would walk it up the floor and dump it into the post 70% of the time. But since Nash makes the team go, he is the number 1 man on that team.

Beno7500
09-03-2008, 12:18 AM
The one Who leads the team in either scoring or assists.

Lakersfan2483
09-03-2008, 12:27 AM
The No. 1 guy must be a franchise player and a guy who is the leader of the team. He must be able to command the double team and make others better. He also has to be able to carry a team and take over in the 4th quarter.

Great Examples of No. 1 guys:

Michael Jordan
Magic
Kareem
Shaq
Duncan
Kobe
Bird
Hakeem
Lebron
Wilt
Russell
D. Robinson
K. Malone

RoyalG333
09-03-2008, 12:35 AM
the guy you want taking the game winning shot. it doesnt always pan out that way, but I define number 1 option as just that. The first option for scoring when it counts.

barreleffact
09-03-2008, 12:38 AM
The way you know who is the number 1 guy is the guy who has his hands on the ball the majority of the time. Nash is not just holding it and doing nothing with it. He is trying to get other players involved or score himself. If Amare was that much better than Nash, they would walk it up the floor and dump it into the post 70% of the time. But since Nash makes the team go, he is the number 1 man on that team.

a wing will always have the ball the most though. tony parker and manu will have the ball more than duncan but duncan is their leader and number 1 option isnt he? and even with nash, he doesnt just hold the ball. he is setting people up and the team up, but he has the ball to pass to sum1 else. he's never an option for himself unless he has to be. does that not play into it?

Lakersfan2483
09-03-2008, 12:39 AM
The guy definitely must be willing to take over a game and want the ball during crunch time!!

Lakersfan2483
09-03-2008, 12:41 AM
a wing will always have the ball the most though. tony parker and manu will have the ball more than duncan but duncan is their leader and number 1 option isnt he? and even with nash, he doesnt just hold the ball. he is setting people up and the team up, but he has the ball to pass to sum1 else. he's never an option for himself unless he has to be. does that not play into it?

Duncan is still the no. 1 option on that team, no Duncan, no 4 titles.

Ph1lly Diehard
09-03-2008, 12:52 AM
#1 option is the "go-to" guy so to speak. The guy you want to ball in the hands of.

When the 76ers had Iverson, he was the goto guy. Whenever the game was on the line, you would go to him.

Right now this season, it will probably be Brand, for good reason.

DODGERS&LAKERS
09-03-2008, 01:05 AM

Duncan is the number 1. That is why they throw it into the post to him a lot. Amare mostly sets screens and then breaks to the basket or does a pick and pop. Duncan sets screens as well, but they usually throw it down low to him on the box. I dont see the Suns doing the same with Amare. But I see your point. There are always excetptions to the rule. I just think if Amare was playing with a lessor point gaurd, he would be the number 1 option. But since the offense was made for Nash's playmaking abilities, I think he is the number 1. Maybe Porter might change that and Amare will be #1 though

rhino17
09-03-2008, 01:36 AM
A #1 guy imo is someone who is the leader of the team on the floor and can take them to the playoffs. Not only do they need to put up good numbers, but their team need to have some kind of success. A guy that puts up great numbers on a crappy team does not qualify

examples of Guys that dont fit the profile:
Al Jefferson
Kevin Martin

examples of guys that qualify:
Steve nash
Tracy McGrady

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
09-03-2008, 02:22 AM
LeBron James, Kobe Bryant, Dwayne Wade, and so on and so on.

The go to guy on the team obviously.

Hellcrooner
09-03-2008, 02:31 AM
The guy that david stern Tnent, Espn and Nike decides is the number 1.

LakerzDQ
09-03-2008, 02:47 AM
The one Who leads the team in either scoring or assists.

lol. you haven't answered anything.
so which one? assists or points?

the most assists doesn't mean the 1st option. Calderone vs Bosh? yeah, Bosh is the 1st option.

In my opinion, Amare is the 1st option. most of the time, the most points usually means the 1st option.

yao pwns noobs
09-03-2008, 03:09 AM
which ever guy you would give the ball to with 20 seconds left to win game 7 of the nba finals.

JordansBulls
09-03-2008, 07:50 AM
#1 Option is the guy who gets the most touches on the team and the guy who is the most efficient statistically (EFF/PER).

DreamShaker
09-03-2008, 12:46 PM
Anybody with the guts and ability to be the number 1 option....it takes a strong minded person to take all the credit or all the blame.....

Hellcrooner
09-03-2008, 01:04 PM
^ in fact it isnt so, media hyped superstars are NEVER responsible in the eyes of fans.

Example? No one dares to blame KObe for the lakers losing the finals, funny since it was the man who HE had to cover the one that really killed them while Garnett had his worst % of all teh playoffs, but of course the blame is for Pau.

$ NyC $
09-03-2008, 01:07 PM
well...theres a difference between a leader and your #1 option...some players do both such as Kobe...but 4 me a #1 option is a player that is the most efficient scorer on the team and does one other thing very well...like assists or rebounds

knicks1214
09-03-2008, 01:24 PM
A guy who can make plays for himself, or his teammates, and can take over when he needs to.

mrblisterdundee
09-03-2008, 01:36 PM
The number one option means the primary scorer. Nash might be moving and distributing the ball, but he doesn't put it in the basket the most. Whoever does, is the primary (scoring) option.

Rome
09-03-2008, 01:39 PM
Number one option in my opinion is someone who gets it done in the 4th and comands a constant double team. Guy gonna score when you need him to our make a key decision in the clutch.

Sixerlover
09-03-2008, 01:40 PM
The best scorer in the clutch. It's not as confusing as people make it out to be.

DreamShaker
09-03-2008, 01:44 PM
The best scorer in the clutch. It's not as confusing as people make it out to be.

Well if you wanna lump Franchise Player, Number One Option, and Team MVP all into one then that is one thing....but your right on number one option by itself....

JordansBulls
09-03-2008, 02:26 PM

So when the game is on the line it meant that Drexler was the #1 option on the Rockets over Hakeem?

That doesn't make much sense to me.

Or how about the Sixers when it was Moses Malone and Dr J? Did that mean Dr J was the man and #1 option because he would get the ball when the game was on the line?

DreamShaker
09-03-2008, 03:24 PM
So when the game is on the line it meant that Drexler was the #1 option on the Rockets over Hakeem?

That doesn't make much sense to me.

Or how about the Sixers when it was Moses Malone and Dr J? Did that mean Dr J was the man and #1 option because he would get the ball when the game was on the line?

Good points....

Shv21
09-03-2008, 03:42 PM
Kobe Bryant is the answer of that question

Hawkeye15
09-03-2008, 04:14 PM
A #1 guy imo is someone who is the leader of the team on the floor and can take them to the playoffs. Not only do they need to put up good numbers, but their team need to have some kind of success. A guy that puts up great numbers on a crappy team does not qualify

examples of Guys that dont fit the profile:
Al Jefferson
Kevin Martin

examples of guys that qualify:
Steve nash
Tracy McGrady

I think you need to wait on young guys to call them out, unless they are LeBron. Not very many young guys can be considered #1 guys. And how is McGrady a #1? He isn't even their best player. A #1 is a player who leads not only in production and clutch play, but is a leader in the locker room, and off the court. It is a player who doesn't crumble under pressure. In any given year, there are only 5-6 #1's in the NBA. If you are talking about which guy is each team's #1, then many teams don't fit the bill. Phx for example, would be hurting badly if they lost either Nash or Amare at this point. Houston has 2 guys who could argue for the #1. Boston has 3. In my opinon, the following players were legit #1 type players last year

LeBron
Kobe
Dwight Howard
Dirk
Paul

I really can't think of anyone else deserving

knicks1214
09-03-2008, 04:21 PM
Eh, I don't think Howard is a #1 yet because he didn't play well last year against Detroit. My number 1s: Lebron, Kobe, Paul, and Garnett. Maybe Nash (not sure though). Lebron/Kobe/Paul=enough said. Garnett I put there because he was the vocal leader on the team, no doubt about that. He was also the defensive ring leader for that team.

Hawkeye15
09-03-2008, 04:46 PM
Eh, I don't think Howard is a #1 yet because he didn't play well last year against Detroit. My number 1s: Lebron, Kobe, Paul, and Garnett. Maybe Nash (not sure though). Lebron/Kobe/Paul=enough said. Garnett I put there because he was the vocal leader on the team, no doubt about that. He was also the defensive ring leader for that team.

I LOVE KG, I am a monster Wolves fan, from Minneapolis originally, so I know when I say, KG is not a #1. He has faded in the clutch for years, and isn't selfish enough when the game is on the line. Heck, Pierce was the finals MVP. I think Howard is. He is a franchise player. You are right, he was limited against Detroit, and I probably should have left him off the list. But he is a guy any team would trade for right away, unless they had LeBron, Kobe, or Paul. And Nash, no way. Great player, can't play D, and depends on his teammates to score. Anyone who has played with the players he has had the past 6 years with Dallas and Phx should have a ring by now.

rapswin98
09-03-2008, 06:26 PM
the guy who carries the team on his shoulders when his team is struggling