PDA

View Full Version : Steve Nash

Lakersfan2483
09-02-2008, 10:36 PM
I believe Steve Nash is a top ten point guard of all time. Where do you all rank Nash?

My List of top point guards:

Magic
Oscar
Isaiah
Stockton
Cousy
Payton
Frazier
Kidd
Nash
K. Johnson

Note: Nate Archibald was a great point guard as well.

Hawkeye15
09-02-2008, 10:39 PM
If Stockton had a ring, he is #1. The All time NBA leader in assists and steals, defines a point guard. Stupid Michael Jordan. Ha!

Beno7500
09-02-2008, 10:40 PM
Nash is ok.

DODGERS&LAKERS
09-02-2008, 10:59 PM
If Stockton had a ring, he is #1. The All time NBA leader in assists and steals, defines a point guard. Stupid Michael Jordan. Ha!

He would be number 2 in my book. Magic would have had more assist if he was not such a man whore and caught HIV. But Magic was a born winner. He was a leader. Stockton was also, I just cant put him above Magic Johnson. But he was a great great player.

And Nash is just like Stockton. Just not defensively. But Nash is a great shooter and assist man. Also a great leader.

DreamShaker
09-02-2008, 11:36 PM
I don't think there is much argument that Magic was #1 with 5 championships as the orchestrator of Showtime....he is arguably the best ever....in the 80's Bird and Magic were both called the greatest ever at different points.....

But I would go as my top 5....

Magic
Oscar
Isaiah
Stockton
Frazier

Cousy and Kidd would be 6 and 7....Nash is top ten....somewhere in the GP and Tiny mix.....

DreamShaker
09-02-2008, 11:38 PM
He would be number 2 in my book. Magic would have had more assist if he was not such a man whore and caught HIV. But Magic was a born winner. He was a leader. Stockton was also, I just cant put him above Magic Johnson. But he was a great great player.

And Nash is just like Stockton. Just not defensively. But Nash is a great shooter and assist man. Also a great leader.

Stockton was a much better defender than Nash IMO....

SHONIE
09-02-2008, 11:41 PM
^^^ he said that in the part you quoted

Lone Maverick
09-02-2008, 11:45 PM
I think longevity is a very big factor as well. Nash is in his 30's but has only been playing at this level for a few years. He's great in all but his book isn't closed yet its still being written so I wanna see how far he takes it before he's finished.

DreamShaker
09-02-2008, 11:49 PM
^^^ he said that in the part you quoted

Oh I misread sorry:o

DreamShaker
09-02-2008, 11:50 PM
I think longevity is a very big factor as well. Nash is in his 30's but has only been playing at this level for a few years. He's great in all but his book isn't closed yet its still being written so I wanna see how far he takes it before he's finished.

Well Stock played till he was in his late 30's and Nash is like 34??? All depends on how the back holds up....

Lone Maverick
09-02-2008, 11:57 PM
Well Stock played till he was in his late 30's and Nash is like 34??? All depends on how the back holds up....

Exactly my point. We all know Stockton had longevity and Nash very well could too but like you said its about his back.

barreleffact
09-03-2008, 12:00 AM
nash doesnt make my list. he cant play d and he only gets assists because of amare. sure he does have nice passes but when you get 8+ assists per game off 1 guy, it tends to make me a nonbeliever. he is the focal of his team but he is easy to guard or at least to beat. all sum1 has to do is not bail him out on the pic and roll and make nash beat you for 48 minutes. but teams rarely figure that out and because of that he looks like a genius and everyone else looks better than they are too. so yes, im hating a little and he does make his teammates better, but he doesnt deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as anyone on your list IMO

DODGERS&LAKERS
09-03-2008, 12:07 AM
nash doesnt make my list. he cant play d and he only gets assists because of amare. sure he does have nice passes but when you get 8+ assists per game off 1 guy, it tends to make me a nonbeliever. he is the focal of his team but he is easy to guard or at least to beat. all sum1 has to do is not bail him out on the pic and roll and make nash beat you for 48 minutes. but teams rarely figure that out and because of that he looks like a genius and everyone else looks better than they are too. so yes, im hating a little and he does make his teammates better, but he doesnt deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as anyone on your list IMO

But any point guard needs people to pass to. Should we not call Magic a great point guard cause he passed to Kareem, Worthy, Scott? Was Stockton not great cause he passed to the second leading scorer in NBA history in Karl Malone. Maybe Amare would not have as many points if it were not for Nash's play making ability. When he comes off that pick and roll, you have to pay attention to him cause he shoots at such a high percentage. Nash is as good as it gets offensively. Defense is another story. But he is still a great player.

FOBolous
09-03-2008, 12:09 AM

don't forget Hakeem Olajuwon ;)

DreamShaker
09-03-2008, 12:10 AM
don't forget Hakeem Olajuwon ;)

Hehe.

downsos
09-03-2008, 12:16 AM
Nash top 20

barreleffact
09-03-2008, 12:18 AM
But any point guard needs people to pass to. Should we not call Magic a great point guard cause he passed to Kareem, Worthy, Scott? Was Stockton not great cause he passed to the second leading scorer in NBA history in Karl Malone. Maybe Amare would not have as many points if it were not for Nash's play making ability. When he comes off that pick and roll, you have to pay attention to him cause he shoots at such a high percentage. Nash is as good as it gets offensively. Defense is another story. But he is still a great player.

you made a good point about needing someone to pass to. its a similar point to my friend and my argument that everyone in the HoF needed sum1 else or at least had sum1 else in the HoF w them to maximize their potentials. and you are right, w/o nash, amare would be decent but would be nowhere near as hyped. offensively i wouldnt put nash on because he cant beat u by himself. magic, kidd, isaih...they coudl do everything offensively and defensively. and if they arent hitting...kidd...they can rely of other parts of their games to win. magic/kidd are walking triple doubles any night. nash cant board. isiah and payton could lock you up but also destroy you to score for themselves or pass and nash just seems limited because he cant beat you by himself like the others could. even if its just scoring we are talking about he cant do it every posession. and i know i mentioned defense a lot and you have agreed already but thats part of being a complete player and only complete players deserve to be in a list like that....or players so beastly like lebron/wade but thats only if tey continue destroying their oppnents could i see them makin the top ten/HoF...well Lebron was a lock since b4 he came in based off hype alone

Lakersfan2483
09-03-2008, 12:22 AM

Nash is a great player, also make sure you reference the year Amare was out the whole year, Nash took his team to the Western Conference Finals. I believe he's top ten all-time.

PhxGiant
09-03-2008, 12:39 AM
Nash is a great player, also make sure you reference the year Amare was out the whole year, Nash took his team to the Western Conference Finals. I believe he's top ten all-time.

That's what i was going to say. I believe Nash averaged 10.5 assists the year Amare was out, carried us to the WCF.

Theres no doubt that Nash is one of the most clutch players, what he lacks in defense and athleticism he makes up for with heart, and a great basketball IQ IMO. I'll put him top ten.

Hotone1401
09-03-2008, 01:07 AM
Nash is definitely a top ten PG all-time in my opinion. In his prime, Nash is one of the best passers and scorers. The guy is just amazing and this is coming from a Laker fan. I will say however, that his prime years were short and coming to an end. Nash is not the same anymore. I will also add that Chris Paul is a much better PG now than Nash. But when comparing him in his prime...he is definitely top ten unless you are factoring the longevity and the length of time by which he played at that high level.

innovator
09-03-2008, 01:44 AM
back 2 back MVP awards will put you in top 10 all time in ur position, and leading in assists 3 times

Tom81
09-03-2008, 03:08 AM
Nash top 10 easy

HiphopRelated
09-03-2008, 12:41 PM
he doesn't rank

top 10 and never saw the Finals??, to hell with that.

Look @ Nash's squads when he went from an average pg to MVSteve. Give any true top 10 pg that and they have a ring.

CowboysKB24
09-03-2008, 01:29 PM
Nash is a great point guard but I think what hurts him is that he didn't have a lot of great years in the NBA and never went to the finals. He had four great years while some of these guys had double or even more than just four great years.

CowboysKB24
09-03-2008, 01:30 PM
He is top ten.

IndyRealist
09-03-2008, 01:32 PM
I believe Steve Nash is a top ten point guard of all time. Where do you all rank Nash?

My List of top point guards:

Magic
Oscar
Isaiah
Stockton
Cousy
Payton
Frazier
Kidd
Nash
K. Johnson

Note: Nate Archibald was a great point guard as well.

Pistol Pete Maravich. Dennis Johnson. Jerry West. Lenny Wilkens. All among the 50 greatest players in NBA history. All better than Nash. I guess West could be considered a SG even though he was 6'2" and averaged 6.7 assist for his career, but c'mon, he's the freakin' logo. Even without West, if your list is in order then that easily bumps Nash out of the top 10.

mrblisterdundee
09-03-2008, 01:32 PM
When you win two MVP awards in a row, you are definitely top ten. I also think that if Shaq never came to Phoenix, Nash would have led the NBA in assists again.

IndyRealist
09-03-2008, 02:40 PM
Pistol Pete Maravich:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5-J2Spj7kg&feature=related
My favorite quote, "Right now Pete Maravich has one less point than the Knicks as a team."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5BxF2RJ7Xk&feature=related
"I don't know about you, but I'm running out of things to say about Maravich."

Show some love.

Rome
09-03-2008, 03:03 PM
I got him top ten. Want to see him get that ring first to make it a lock. Great floor vision, can see things offensively most guards couldn't. Amazing shooter and set up man. His D obviously hurts his debate for top ten, but his back to back Mvp's helps tremendously. Agreed Nash can't score on his own like magic or kidd but he still could take in at times and pull up and hit a total facial at anytime.

9 or ten on the spot.

IndyRealist
09-03-2008, 03:32 PM
If Nash is #9 or #10, who do you bump off the list? Like I said Dennis Johnson, Pete Maravich, Lenny Wilkens and Jerry West are top 50 all time, and they're not on his list. Payton and Kidd are not (yet), but they are on the list. All four are glaring exclusions. I have Nash 12th (11th excluding West).

Magic
Oscar
Jerry West
Stockton
Cousy
Lenny Wilkens
Pete Maravich
Kidd
Isaiah
Frazier
Dennis Johnson
Payton
Nash
K. Johnson

Who do you bump off that list to move Nash up? If you have Nash in the top 10, please post a list of your top 10 so we can see who you think shouldn't be there.

Hawkeye15
09-03-2008, 07:02 PM

The purple and gold is clouding you, but in all honesty, I can't argue Magic being ranked the top point guard. He did win 5 rings I think, and in his rookie year, stepped in at center and got 42-14 or something ridic to clinch the ring. Impressive. But Stockton's assist record would not have been in jeapordy. He is the all time leader in assists and steals. That is like the definition of what a coach wants from his point

Hawkeye15
09-03-2008, 07:03 PM
Stockton was a much better defender than Nash IMO....

not just your opinion, everyones. Nash is an atrocious defender. Stockton is the NBA steals leader. Nuff said on that one. I do see similarities on the other side of the floor. Nash makes passes that leave you shaking your head wondering how the heck they even got thru that.

Hawkeye15
09-03-2008, 07:06 PM
Exactly my point. We all know Stockton had longevity and Nash very well could too but like you said its about his back.

Stockton had productive backups as well, and a better team for a while, to limit his minutes. Eisley was a top notch point, Hornacek could bring the ball up the floor, just for 2 examples. And Stockton was just tougher. He set the meanest picks in the league. He was dirty. But he had to be.

ShaunRiching9
09-03-2008, 08:04 PM
best part about nash is he is canadian