PDA

View Full Version : Where does Larry Brown stand in the minds of Prosports daily?

RoyCisneros
09-02-2008, 02:47 PM
After discussing his career for over a 3 year period it seems larry brown is thought of very low in my forum/group. I'm a bit new here, and i am curious to what everyones thoughts on his coaching ability and coaching career are here.

as a coach, i see him a bit overrated. I see him a a guy who jumps from team to team based on the potential they have to improve.

I am also unsure why people have respect for him. he is ignorant as hell and has no loyalty. he left both UCLA and Kansas o*n probation. he did the worst coaching ive ever seen on the the olympic team and blamed it on the players performances, and then recently this year blamed it on 9/11. then he had the audacity to talk about a job from a team in the same confrence as the pistons while hes suppose to be concentrating on winning a playoff series and finals.

in my opinion, the guy who talks about `playing the right way' is the biggest hypocrite in the NBA.

in the middle of a playoff run, the most important time for his franchise, committing the biggest sin. He's looking for a job while he's under contract. Where's all the loyalty he always talks about? The commitment? The dedication?

he has been applying for another job before he was done. Halfway through his last season with the Pacers, he was looking at the 76ers' job. He took the Pacers' job before he left the Clippers. The Nets let him go when he had the Kansas job. He fired himself from the Spurs job to work for the Clippers.

he just has no loyalty and his unwillingness to trust rookies gets to me. i must say he showed improvement in New York though..

DerekRE_3
09-02-2008, 03:14 PM
Well since I'm a Bobcats fan I hope he turns the team around and uses the talent that they have had for the past couple years. Sam Vincent was an AWFUL coach, if Bernie Bickerstaff had had the talent that Vincent had last year, they could have been a playoff team.

A lot of people don't see the Bobcats doing anything this year anyways, so maybe with the low expectations they can surprise some people.

RoyCisneros
09-02-2008, 03:18 PM
i expect some nice things out of the bobcats, they won 32 games last year and had a crapload of injurys. morrison and may should have an impact this season

king4day
09-02-2008, 03:21 PM
If May can be healthy, they will be a surprise team in the east. His injuries stunted the growth of this franchise.

Lakersfan2483
09-02-2008, 04:23 PM
Larry Brown is definitely a hall of fame coach.

superkegger
09-02-2008, 04:25 PM
Brown has a history of turning teams around. Other than NY, he's got a great track record. I can easily see with the talent in Charlotte and his coaching that they can make the playoffs.

bigmac8675
09-02-2008, 04:43 PM
I love Larry Brown... he is a future hall of fame coach for sure.

RoyCisneros
09-02-2008, 05:15 PM
Brown has a history of turning teams around. Other than NY, he's got a great track record. I can easily see with the talent in Charlotte and his coaching that they can make the playoffs.

i think larry brown is a hall of famer for sure, but i think his history of turning teams around is more of an illusion or due to roster changes instead of his actual coaching ability.

here is my take on larry browns career as a coach(it's a bit harsh and old. my forum had weekly arguments about any set topics and i was required to argue a case against larry brown)

--

larry brown first joins denver in 1976 to start his coaching career.

before his arrival they were 65-19

his first season coaching denver they were 60-24
his next season they were 50-32
then his next they were 48-34
next season he plays half a season before leaving and hes 28-25

massive turnaround! huh? yeah he messed them up..

next he joins new jersey in 1981 the season before
new jersey was at 34-48 a playoff team...

larry browns first season coaching new jersey they went 24-58 just missing the playoffs.

some major trades go down. they lose they're 4 top players. and in return get 5 new BETTER/higher rated top players in.
ray williams
buck williams
albert king
mike o'koren
len elmore

they're records improve because they're rosters improved.

they go 44-38 losing in the first round of the playoffs.

so when larry brown first started coaching they were a playoff team. his season coaching with the same roster they miss the playoffs. his second season they make the playoffs like before larry brown was coaching but this time they get blown out and swept with a better team.

so they went from competing in the first round of the playoffs to being swept while having a better roster.

larry brown leaves new jersey and the team makes it to the eastern conference semi-finals.

so it seems like new jersey and denver were better without larry brown.

------

next up San Antonio.

before getting san antonio they were 28-54 just a horrible team.
he coached them till the 1990's improving they're record to 55-27 and taking them to the semi-finals!

my theory behind this is he succeeded because of the players san antonio recieved during that time.

david robinson(one of the 50 greatest players of all time)
terry cummings
sean elliott
maurice cheeks
rod strickland
vernan maxwell

give any team those six players and im sure their record would increase dramatically. as far as san antonio goes i give the gm more credit than the coach...

-

next up:

the clippers!,
before larry browns arrival they were 31-52

thE players were: second year ncaa college legend
danny manning
ron harper
ken norman
benoit benjamin
and charles smith

in 1992 when the clippers made the playoffs while larry brown only coached the last 35 games! in 1992 mike schuler and mack calvin coached 47 of the clippers games that season.

1993 larry brown did take the clippers to the playoffs on his own. but lets not forget the year before the other coached helped him get there. his team was already a playoff team. in 1992 when he was helped by having someone else coach most of his games. the clippers that year with the help of schuler and mack calvin were 45-37. When larry brown took the clippers on his own they were 41-41 and his roster improved!

the clippers recieved large stanley roberts and mark jackson.

so his roster improved and he ended up doing worse...

-

next up indiana

before larry browns arrival they were 4th in the central division with a record of 40-42

larry browns first season they were 5th in the central division with a 41-41 record.

he left in 1997 and left the pacers with a 39-43 record.

THATS WORSE THEN WHEN HE FIRST CAME!

the very next season after larry brown left in 1998. larry bird took the pacers to a 58-24 record.

-

Next up: Philly!

now as i look at philly. i did see that he did good. infact he did GREAT

Next up: Pistons:

detriot the year before was 50-32, 1st in the central division and lost in the semi finals.

larry browns first season coaching he recieves:

rasheed wallace
elden campbell
mike james
bob sura
lindsey hunter.

and wins the title...

the key thing to look at in this is: he only got second in the central divsion. and he was under the 50% mark before recieving rasheed wallace.

in 05 he gets

mcdyess
carlos arroyo
ronald dupree
carlos delfino

and loses..

-

and new york is just a mess... i dont think you can argue a turnaround there..

he recieved
eddy curry, nate robinson, quinten richardson, channing frye

and put up a HORRID record. isiah thomas outcoached him...

i believe larry brown has had a very successful coaching career, but i believe he jumps from team to team based on the teams potential..

he joins SA before they recieve robinson, he joins philly when they get iverson, he joined pistons when there was talk of them being interested in sheed, and he joins the knicks right when curry,nate,q-rich and frye come up..

now he is on the bobcats who had some nice wins the previous season and have 2 good injured players coming in and dj augustine who is possibly the best playmaking pg in the draft this year

Lone Maverick
09-02-2008, 05:36 PM
To me he is a HOF coach that wears on his players after a few seasons so he gets out around that time usually. He can teach younger guys (that are willing to listen) and veterans (that need to get over the hump ala Detroit 04).

$KnicksAndKobe$
09-02-2008, 06:36 PM
i think larry brown is a hall of famer for sure, but i think his history of turning teams around is more of an illusion or due to roster changes instead of his actual coaching ability.

here is my take on larry browns career as a coach(it's a bit harsh and old. my forum had weekly arguments about any set topics and i was required to argue a case against larry brown)

--

larry brown first joins denver in 1976 to start his coaching career.

before his arrival they were 65-19

his first season coaching denver they were 60-24
his next season they were 50-32
then his next they were 48-34
next season he plays half a season before leaving and hes 28-25

massive turnaround! huh? yeah he messed them up..

next he joins new jersey in 1981 the season before
new jersey was at 34-48 a playoff team...

larry browns first season coaching new jersey they went 24-58 just missing the playoffs.

some major trades go down. they lose they're 4 top players. and in return get 5 new BETTER/higher rated top players in.
ray williams
buck williams
albert king
mike o'koren
len elmore

they're records improve because they're rosters improved.

they go 44-38 losing in the first round of the playoffs.

so when larry brown first started coaching they were a playoff team. his season coaching with the same roster they miss the playoffs. his second season they make the playoffs like before larry brown was coaching but this time they get blown out and swept with a better team.

so they went from competing in the first round of the playoffs to being swept while having a better roster.

larry brown leaves new jersey and the team makes it to the eastern conference semi-finals.

so it seems like new jersey and denver were better without larry brown.

------

next up San Antonio.

before getting san antonio they were 28-54 just a horrible team.
he coached them till the 1990's improving they're record to 55-27 and taking them to the semi-finals!

my theory behind this is he succeeded because of the players san antonio recieved during that time.

david robinson(one of the 50 greatest players of all time)
terry cummings
sean elliott
maurice cheeks
rod strickland
vernan maxwell

give any team those six players and im sure their record would increase dramatically. as far as san antonio goes i give the gm more credit than the coach...

-

next up:

the clippers!,
before larry browns arrival they were 31-52

thE players were: second year ncaa college legend
danny manning
ron harper
ken norman
benoit benjamin
and charles smith

in 1992 when the clippers made the playoffs while larry brown only coached the last 35 games! in 1992 mike schuler and mack calvin coached 47 of the clippers games that season.

1993 larry brown did take the clippers to the playoffs on his own. but lets not forget the year before the other coached helped him get there. his team was already a playoff team. in 1992 when he was helped by having someone else coach most of his games. the clippers that year with the help of schuler and mack calvin were 45-37. When larry brown took the clippers on his own they were 41-41 and his roster improved!

the clippers recieved large stanley roberts and mark jackson.

so his roster improved and he ended up doing worse...

-

next up indiana

before larry browns arrival they were 4th in the central division with a record of 40-42

larry browns first season they were 5th in the central division with a 41-41 record.

he left in 1997 and left the pacers with a 39-43 record.

THATS WORSE THEN WHEN HE FIRST CAME!

the very next season after larry brown left in 1998. larry bird took the pacers to a 58-24 record.

-

Next up: Philly!

now as i look at philly. i did see that he did good. infact he did GREAT

Next up: Pistons:

detriot the year before was 50-32, 1st in the central division and lost in the semi finals.

larry browns first season coaching he recieves:

rasheed wallace
elden campbell
mike james
bob sura
lindsey hunter.

and wins the title...

the key thing to look at in this is: he only got second in the central divsion. and he was under the 50% mark before recieving rasheed wallace.

in 05 he gets

mcdyess
carlos arroyo
ronald dupree
carlos delfino

and loses..

-

and new york is just a mess... i dont think you can argue a turnaround there..

he recieved
eddy curry, nate robinson, quinten richardson, channing frye

and put up a HORRID record. isiah thomas outcoached him...

i believe larry brown has had a very successful coaching career, but i believe he jumps from team to team based on the teams potential..

he joins SA before they recieve robinson, he joins philly when they get iverson, he joined pistons when there was talk of them being interested in sheed, and he joins the knicks right when curry,nate,q-rich and frye come up..

now he is on the bobcats who had some nice wins the previous season and have 2 good injured players coming in and dj augustine who is possibly the best playmaking pg in the draft this year

And don't forget team usa ... awful coaching.

RoyCisneros
09-02-2008, 07:08 PM
And don't forget team usa ... awful coaching.

lol yup..

heres another long post i wrote about his coaching in the olympics:

UGH! I CANT STAND LARRY BROWN.

i was thinking of blaming richard jefferson on the olympic loss to puerto rico because in the first 2 games of olympic play against puerto rico richard jefferson went 3-16 from the feild, 0-6 from the 3pt line, averaging 5 rebounds, 4 turnovers in 26mins then against greece he went 0-7 from the feild, 0-4 from the 3 and had 2 rebounds in 21mins.

but im not going to blame richard jefferson. im going to blame larry brown because he let the guy play that many mins! the problem with larry brown is hes ignorant. he doesnt trust rookies or sophomores. he would rather let richard jefferson make an *** out of the united states basketball team, then put the ball in lebron or some other young players hands. let me go look at boxscores for the olympic games.

USA VS PUERTO RICO

Iverson ; played 31mins shot 5-14 from the field. 1-10 from the 3pt range. and had 3 turnovers

Stephon Marbury; played 25mins shot 1-5 from the field and 0-2 from the 3pt line and had 0 turnovers

Duncan; played 36 mins shot 4-11 from the field. and 0-1 from the 3pt line and had 7 turnovers

Richard Jefferson played 26mins shot 3-16 from the field, 0-6 from the 3pt line

- on the other hand....

Dwayne Wade played 20mins shot 4-9 from the field, 0-0 from the 3 and only turned the ball over once,

and the rest of the rookies and second year players barley got any playing time.

amare=3 mins
lebron=12 mins
carmelo=4 mins

while shawn marion,carlosboozer,lamar odom played over 15mins a peice.

i dont get how you only play amare,lebron and carmelo for a comined number of 19 mins when your team is doing that poorly? WHAT THE HELL WAS LARRY BROWN THINKING!?!?!?

USA VS GREECE

Iverson; 30mins, 4-14 from the field, 3-7 from the 3line 2 turnovers
Marbury; 26mins 3-7 from the field, 1-4 from the 3pt line 2 turnovers
Duncan; 27mins 6-7 from the field, 0-0 from 3, 2 turnovers
Lamar Odom; 28mins 2-6 from the field, 0-2 from the 3 and 2 turnovers
Richard Jefferson; 21mins 0-7 from the field, 0-4 from the 3pt line, and 2 turnovers

wade=13 mins
carmelo=5 mins
lebron=11mins
amare=8mins

while shawn marion and carlos boozer played decent and both played over 15mins a peice again.

okay now im thinking what in the hell is larry brown doing? hes leaving richard jefferson in and letting him play all those mins when he was doing crap? lol he could have replaced him with lebron! or carmelo! or anyone. and leaving iverson in? 4-14 what the hell! dwayne wade woulda tore up.

USA VS AUSTRALIA

iverson;21mins 6-11, 3-5 from the 3pt
marbury;27 mins 0-4, 0-3 from 3pt
duncan;34mins 7-11, 0-1 from 3pt(WHAT THE HELL IS TIM DUNCAN DOING SHOOTING A 3?!?! AND WHY IS LARRY BROWN LETTING HIM!?!)
Shawn Marion;27mins, 8-10, 0-2 3pt line(he really showed up)

Lebron James(finally playing); 18mins 4-8, 0-3 from 3
Dwayne Wade;18mins, 5-8, 0-0 from the 3pt line(okay him and lebron did good)

BUT STILL....

Amare=7 mins
Emeka Oakafor(first game playing)=2mins
Carmelo=2Mins

while Boozer played 11 mins
and jefferson played 16

USA VS LITHUANIA

iverson; 26mins, 4-12, 1-3 from 3pt
marbury; 32mins 2-14,3 assits,1-7 from 3pt (what the hell is larry brown doing letting him play ice cold!??! the man was not shooting, he wasent passing, he wasent doing ****.)
duncan;33mins,6-7,0-0 from the 3pt (played well)
odom;29mins,4-7,2-3 from the 3pt line
jefferson;22mins, 6-8, 3-5 from the 3pt line, and 1 rebound.(only reason i included the rebound is because its sad. lol richard jefferson should atleast grab more then 1)

while....
dwayne wade=16mins
carmelo=10mins
lebron=6mins
oakafor=0mins
amare=2mins

and boozer=13 mins
marion=11 mins

okay let me skip the stats for the usa vs angola and usa vs spain because we won both those. let me go to usa vs argentina in the semifinals where we lost.

USA VS ARGENTINA

iverson;31mins 3-12,1-2 from the 3pt line, 3 assits
marbury;27mins, 8-15, 0-3 from the 3pt, 1 assit and 3 turnovers
duncan;20mins 4-8,0-0 from the 3 and 3 turnovers
odom;26mins 6-12, 0-2 from the 3pt line
jefferson;19mins, 2-5, 0-2 from the 3
marion; 28mins, 4-10, 1-2 from the 3
boozer; 25mins, 3-6 , 0-0 from the 3pt, 2 turnovers

while

wade=19mins
oakafor=0mins
lebron=3mins
carmelo=0mins

now looking at all 8 games in the olympics and their averages.

iverson; 27mins, fg % 37, 3pt % 36(15-41) ~******* shot 41 3pt shots!
duncan;26mins, fg% 56, 3pt% 0(0-2)
marbury;26mins fg% 42, 3pt% 32(10-31)
marion; 19mins fg% 53, 3pt% 40(4-10)
boozerl 17mins fg% 62, 3pt%0(0-0)
jefferson 18mins; fg% 32(18-56), 3pt% 26(6-23)

most of them played horrible and got a fair amount of mins. while the youngings barley got playing time

wade; 17mins
lebron;11mins
melo;6mins(played 7 games)
amare; 7mins
oakafor;7mins(played 2 games)

now if i was coaching the olympic team. i would have never let jefferson play all thosemins. and i wouldnt let iverson shoot that much and only average 2.5 assits the man shot 34-90 from the field and 15-41 from the 3pt line and only average'd 2.5 assits, our whole damn team together shot 140 3pt shots. 140 3pt shots in 8 damn games and we only aveage'd %31 from the 3pt line.

our team had a total of 121 assits, and 113 turnovers. when you average almost more turnovers then assits then something is wrong.

larry brown let players who were doing horrible. play massive mins when holding superstars on the bench barley having enough time to run down the other side of the court.

he refuses to play any young player major mins because they are unexperienced. he would rather let a player with experience play the whole damn game horrible then put in a young player. the man is just a moron.

MoBASS
09-02-2008, 07:29 PM
Loyalty and respect are important character qualities for me, which means Larry Brown is a piece of ****.

BigSteve
09-03-2008, 02:10 AM
Great coach who as no ethics.

Beno7500
09-03-2008, 02:14 AM
he is ok.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
09-03-2008, 02:30 AM
He is a legitimate coach in the NBA.

He had some good teams, and some good players.

He was able to make out well with what he had, so I would say above average.

LAKERS 24/7
09-03-2008, 03:14 AM
eh, hes aiiiiite