PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Dirk Nowitzki

Lakersfan2483
09-02-2008, 05:27 AM
What is your overall perception of Dirk Nowitzki as a player? Is he a no. 1 option or is he better suited as a 2nd option player?

Tom81
09-02-2008, 06:33 AM
For now he is no. 1 option in dallas.

barreleffact
09-02-2008, 09:42 AM
he is in dallas...but how well has that worked out? but seriously, i dont see him as an elite for a few reasons with the biggest ones being i want my big men in the post. he's too big to be soft, hes too big to be shooting, he needs to dominate in the post on offense and defense.
but more relevant to your topic...he would be better suited as a 2 just like gasol. someone to run the offense and draw major attention to free his shot would highlight his game and make him worlds better if possible

innovator
09-02-2008, 10:21 AM
he is underated

JordansBulls
09-02-2008, 01:59 PM
What is your overall perception of Dirk Nowitzki as a player? Is he a no. 1 option or is he better suited as a 2nd option player?

Definitely a #1 guy. He as well as KG are guys who are good as #1 options. Anyone with high Efficiency and PER that plays a substancial amount of mpg (30+) is good enough to be a #1 option.

Gmen824
09-02-2008, 02:16 PM
He is cute.

DODGERS&LAKERS
09-02-2008, 02:25 PM
Dirk is a great player. He hits big shots and plays injured. He plays good team defense. He has a great jump shot, and is money from beyong the arc. He is a number 1.

BowDown32
09-02-2008, 02:39 PM
He is definetly a #1 option. Dirk has an unbelievable skill set on the offensive end. The only downside to his game is that he plays a little soft... he doesn't have that intensity on both ends of the floor... why KG and TD are voted higher in the PF poll.

Bottom line is he is a #1 guy.

MiamiHeat
09-02-2008, 02:40 PM
Puszy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVYjjCKeaRg

jgonboricua
09-02-2008, 02:47 PM
i think dallas should see wat they can get for him in a trade, a team that just needs that one piece to get over the hump could use him.....
maybe to atlanta for like marvin williams and wat ever else...

Bibby
Johnson
smith
dirk
hortford

or maybe to detroit for any combination of their players....
orlando would be awsome if they could pair him with howard....trade him for rashard lewis!!! or eep lewis and trade watever else
cavs could use him much dont have many pieces
or even miami.....

Chronz
09-02-2008, 02:58 PM
One of the most underappreciated stars of his era

_Sn1P3r_
09-02-2008, 03:10 PM
He's a solid no. 1 option. He did have the best team in the West and won the MVP award. He just needs a 'Robin' to help him get further in the playoffs.

SwaggaIke
09-02-2008, 03:15 PM
He'll never be a number 1 option on a championship winning team. He isn't mentally tough enough. He's even admitted that. He wanted to bring Kidd in to bear the brunt of the L's. You can't be a great number 1 if you're not willing to be the scapegoat for losses.

AllTheWay
09-02-2008, 03:18 PM
He would have been the number one option on a championship team if not for the Refs in the 2006 finals.

Hellcrooner
09-02-2008, 03:19 PM
IF he was american no one would be doing such an stupid question.

Im fed of homerism!!!!

Lone Maverick
09-02-2008, 03:55 PM
Obviously I'm a big Dirk fan so I'm gonna try and weigh both sides here.

- He is a one of kind player- name another 7 footer, with the scoring capabilities, range and offensive arsenal he has
- plays good team defense
- Raises his scoring, rebounds, assists, steals, and blocks in the playoffs
- His 1 on 1 D is his biggest weakness
- Could rebound more in the regular season. He averages about 9 for his career but given his size could be at 10-12 but it makes sense because other guys his size don't shoot threes as much as him and play more in the post so they can board more.

Some say he can't deal with taking the blame when Dallas comes up short but lets see
Finals loss- Dirk got the blame
Warriors- Dirk got the blame
New Orleans- Took the blame despite averaging 27 points, 12 rebounds, and 4 assists

The "soft" argument is pretty lame imo. I mean yeah he isn't always able to put his stamp on a game but that goes for all players not named Kobe and especially big men Duncan (check his playoffs especially last year), KG, sheed, Dwight, Yao etc

Overall I think he is underrated, and undervalued, he has his flaws as does everyone and when its all said and done will go down as one of the most unique players to ever.

Definitely a number 1 option imo

MiamiHeat
09-02-2008, 03:56 PM
that coming from a Mavericks fan:rolleyes:

SeoulBeatz
09-02-2008, 04:02 PM
Well....

he is already taken his team to the NBA finals. So that should say enough as to whether or not he is a good leader.

Paul Pierce was a #1 option in Boston for the longest time and didnt do ****.

KG didnt do it in Minny either

Surround him with a nice mix of players or better yet, a TRUE #2 option next to him or maybe Paul PIerce and Ray Allen, and im sure that would make his life easier and instantly turn him into a #1 option.

funny how **** works

Lone Maverick
09-02-2008, 04:03 PM
that coming from a Mavericks fan:rolleyes:

I said I'd TRY and be unbiased and besides its all opinion anyway lol

MiamiHeat
09-02-2008, 04:04 PM
I said I'd TRY and be unbiased and besides its all opinion anyway lol

I know man calm down I was messing with you :)

Lone Maverick
09-02-2008, 04:04 PM
Well....

he is already taken his team to the NBA finals. So that should say enough as to whether or not he is a good leader.

Surround him with a nice mix of players or better yet, a TRUE #2 option next to him or maybe Paul PIerce and Ray Allen, and im sure that would make his life easier and instantly turn him into a #1 option.

funny how **** works

^^^Truestory :clap:

DODGERS&LAKERS
09-02-2008, 04:06 PM
Well....

funny how **** works

Exactly. I think if he had a true star in his prime next to him, he would be in the finals and winning some more often. The team he got to the finals with was him and some very good role players. To be successful in the NBA, you need at least 2 stars on the team. Dirk is very under rated

JordansBulls
09-02-2008, 04:14 PM
Exactly. I think if he had a true star in his prime next to him, he would be in the finals and winning some more often. The team he got to the finals with was him and some very good role players. To be successful in the NBA, you need at least 2 stars on the team. Dirk is very under rated

:clap:

This is why I am all for Dallas to try to acquire Vince Carter right now. If they could give up a few 1st round picks along with guys who will be expiring by 2010 in Stackhouse, Jones and George, then that means Dirk will have the team with ease. Between him, Carter and Howard, that three some could match up with anyone in the league.

LuCCi
09-02-2008, 04:16 PM
hes a great 2 bad 1 never will win 1 with him as a 1

THE NATION
09-02-2008, 04:17 PM

This is why I am all for Dallas to try to acquire Vince Carter right now. If they could give up a few 1st round picks along with guys who will be expiring by 2010 in Stackhouse, Jones and George, then that means Dirk will have the team with ease. Between him, Carter and Howard, that three some could match up with anyone in the league.
Vince Carter sucks, he's not what the mavs need, he is just a volume shooter who doesn't go to the hole anymore.

DODGERS&LAKERS
09-02-2008, 04:20 PM

Really? If I were you, I would be hoping the Bulls would go after Vince. He is a star player that the Bulls need. If I were the Bulls, I would talk New Jersey into taking Hughes expiring in 2010 along with Gordon. I think the Nets would do it to get some more money for Lebron.

But yes, if the Mavs did get him, they would have a very good team. I really like Bass.

LuCCi
09-02-2008, 04:29 PM
who has ever carried a team all by there self cuz remember jordan had pippen

DODGERS&LAKERS
09-02-2008, 04:31 PM

Rick Barry and someone else who's name slips me right now. But Rick Barry dragged garbage to a title.

prash
09-02-2008, 04:37 PM
Vince Carter sucks, he's not what the mavs need, he is just a volume shooter who doesn't go to the hole anymore.

Well said. As a Rockets fan I'd love to see Cuban get stuck with his contract. When Carter went to the Nets they did well initially, but the longer he was there the worse the team did.

I'm a big Dirk fan, but he's been part of some spectacular collapses. I wouldn't blame him for those losses, but it doesn't help being the best player on a team that won 60+ games and than got bumped out of the first round after losing in the Finals w/ a 2-0 lead in the series the year before. (I blame AJ for these situations)

JordansBulls
09-02-2008, 04:41 PM

Doesn't matter who had who when you win every time as the best player on the team.

JordansBulls
09-02-2008, 04:42 PM
Really? If I were you, I would be hoping the Bulls would go after Vince. He is a star player that the Bulls need. If I were the Bulls, I would talk New Jersey into taking Hughes expiring in 2010 along with Gordon. I think the Nets would do it to get some more money for Lebron.

But yes, if the Mavs did get him, they would have a very good team. I really like Bass.

Believe me, I am all for getting Vince Carter on the Bulls. And that has been
my trade proposal as well. Trading Hughes and Gordon for him. But I would also like to see how good the West would get with Carter on the Mavs.

Lone Maverick
09-02-2008, 04:57 PM
I don't know if Vince is the answer for Dallas but the potential starting five of

Kidd
Carter
Howard
Dirk
Damp

would be able to compete with the likes of anyone

$ NyC $
09-02-2008, 04:59 PM
that would be a pretty good starting 5...

but 2 answer the question i do think he is a #1 option...he has a very unique game where he's basically a 7' SF...he plays PF but his game is that of a 7 ft SF...

CowboysKB24
09-02-2008, 05:07 PM
He is not Kobe, LeBron, CP3, DWade but he is up there. I think those players are the Elite right now but you can build a successful franchise around him. Look at him, he is an MVP. He took his team to the Finals and beat the awesome Spurs team at that time. He just blew the finals against the Heat. I thought the Heat were good that year but DWade just took over in the playoffs/finals.

$ NyC $
09-02-2008, 05:09 PM
yea thats true...he's not a Mega star..no LeBron Or Kobe...but he's a t-mac type player about now...a super-star...

Gmen824
09-02-2008, 05:35 PM
He is Cute.

Spurred1
09-02-2008, 06:41 PM
I know I'm going to get some criticism for this, but....my impression is that Dirk would prefer NOT to be a number one option, but rather an excellent second option. :hide: He doesn't seem very comfortable as the main option,IMO. He probably got used to being the second/third option behind Nash and Finley for years and that may very well be his comfort zone. Just my opinion...
As for the actual question-he's one of my favorite players. He's got some deficiencies in his game-lack of defense being a major one. However, he gets serious criticism for everything that goes wrong in the team. Some is deserved, but from the way I've heard people talk about him, you'd think he's a piece of festering feces that does nothing to earn his paycheck.

Hawkeye15
09-02-2008, 06:51 PM
He is a #1 guy. Total stud who plays thru injuries. His defense could use a little work, but everyone has a fault. Will go down at the best shooting 7' footer of all time. I think they missed their window. They let the refs and their owner take them out of the finals they should have won. Wade smelled blood, and the rest is history

Hawkeye15
09-02-2008, 06:53 PM
the problem is, there are only about 5 #1 guys in the NBA at one time. That means 25 other teams are non contenders. It is that simple. If you have one of these 5 on your team, there is always a chance.

jbader09
09-02-2008, 07:29 PM
if you don't think dirk is an number one option then you don't know anything about basketball. and dirk is not soft or unclutch (as many people think) and should never be trade

SeoulBeatz
09-02-2008, 07:35 PM
yeah people bash Dirk waay to much.

people say he's soft,

but if u think of it in a GM's perspective, Dirk would def be a great asset to have on any franchise as a number one option.

U have to think in a non bias perspective.

#1Mavericksfan
09-02-2008, 08:19 PM
yeah people bash Dirk waay to much.

people say he's soft,

but if u think of it in a GM's perspective, Dirk would def be a great asset to have on any franchise as a number one option.

U have to think in a non bias perspective.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

SwaggaIke
09-02-2008, 08:22 PM
if you don't think dirk is an number one option then you don't know anything about basketball. and dirk is not soft or unclutch (as many people think) and should never be trade

Dirk is a number 1 option and so is Joe Johnson. So is Carmelo, what does that mean?

DreamShaker
09-02-2008, 08:30 PM
I know I'm going to get some criticism for this, but....my impression is that Dirk would prefer NOT to be a number one option, but rather an excellent second option. :hide: He doesn't seem very comfortable as the main option,IMO.

You may have a point....but I also remember the 06 Conference Finals against your Spurs....he was an assassin....maybe he just got mentally crushed after losing in the Finals and then getting shocked by Golden State?

But I think Dirk is top 10 in the NBA and the 3rd best PF in the league after Duncan and KG....

cmellofan15
09-02-2008, 08:37 PM
Dirk is still a great player top 3 PF and people say he's soft but in the finals he went against a HUGE Shaq who was the most dominant player at the time and did an ok job against him. I don't think he's soft at all.

SwaggaIke
09-02-2008, 08:54 PM
Dirk is still a great player top 3 PF and people say he's soft but in the finals he went against a HUGE Shaq who was the most dominant player at the time and did an ok job against him. I don't think he's soft at all.

Where did you get that bs from? Dirk NEVER went against Shaq. Diop and Dampier shared duties against Shaq. The only time Dirk was even close to Shaq was doubling him from the strong side. He rarely guarded Shaq if ever in that series.

Nighthawk
09-02-2008, 08:57 PM
Definitely a #1 guy. He as well as KG are guys who are good as #1 options. Anyone with high Efficiency and PER that plays a substancial amount of mpg (30+) is good enough to be a #1 option.

:clap::clap::clap:

Hawkeye15
09-02-2008, 09:49 PM
Dirk is a number 1 option and so is Joe Johnson. So is Carmelo, what does that mean?

A #1 option doesn't mean that the team you are talking about looks as this or that player as being their top dog. It means, this is a player who any team would take to be their #1 dog. That is why there are only a handful of them. Rudy Gay is Memphis's #1. So what? Durant is OKC's #1. So what?

SwaggaIke
09-02-2008, 10:01 PM
A #1 option doesn't mean that the team you are talking about looks as this or that player as being their top dog. It means, this is a player who any team would take to be their #1 dog. That is why there are only a handful of them. Rudy Gay is Memphis's #1. So what? Durant is OKC's #1. So what?

Exactly, I agree w/ everything you said. Just because a player is a number 1 option means nothing. That doesn't make you the man. Or a reliable beast on a championship winning team. Yes Dirk is looked to to carry the brunt of his teams scoring, but he doesn't even have the mentality of a top dog. I would never put him in the class of Kobe, LeBron, Wade or Duncan. If I had to bet my life on one final play for it all...those would be my guys. Dirk wouldn't even make the list. I think he's a phenomenal talent, but he doesn't have the mindset to be mentioned as a big dog in the league IMHO.

JMan17
09-02-2008, 10:07 PM
well, ill trade odom for him :D

PG Fisher
SG Kobe
SF Dirk
PF Gasol
C Bynum

DO IT MITCH!

dre1990
09-02-2008, 10:17 PM
He would have been the number one option on a championship team if not for the Refs in the 2006 finals.

:rolleyes:

Lakersfan2483
09-02-2008, 10:22 PM
Personally, I believe Dirk is one of the best players in the NBA, but does not have the mindset to be the focal point on a team, I see him as more of a no.2 guy with the talent of a no. 1 option.

Examples of players with no. 1 talent, but who would be better as a 2nd option on a team are the following:

Vince Carter
T. McGrady
Dirk Nowitzki

Dirk is extremely talented but would be better suited playing with guys like: Kobe, Lebron, Shaq, D. Wade, KG, even CP3.

Lakersfan2483
09-02-2008, 10:24 PM
Examples of great 2nd options:

S. Pippen
J. Worthy
K. Mchale
J. Dumars
A. Dantley

All of these guys are hall of famers, but were not expected to be the franchise players for their respective teams.

RocketsRule
09-02-2008, 10:24 PM
Definetly a number 1 option. He has the post moves, the great stroke from outside, and rebounds fairly well. He also plays solid defense, not great but solid. He has been on a winning team for the majority of his career, and always has been the number one option.

SwaggaIke
09-02-2008, 10:25 PM
Personally, I believe Dirk is one of the best players in the NBA, but does not have the mindset to be the focal point on a team, I see him as more of a no.2 guy with the talent of a no. 1 option.

Examples of players with no. 1 talent, but who would be better as a 2nd option on a team are the following:

Vince Carter
T. McGrady
Dirk Nowitzki

Dirk is extremely talented but would be better suited playing with guys like, Kobe, Lebron, Shaq, D. Wade, KG, even CP3.

I agree w/ that 100%. I've never knocked Dirk's talent. I just doubt his mind. If he wins a championship before his career is over, it will most likely be as the number 2 option. And that's not a bad thing, he'll go down as an all time great whether he wins a title or not.

ecos797
09-02-2008, 10:49 PM
^^^^i agree dirk is a great player that has skills that are better than must number 1s but he doesnt have the toughness must number 1 options hv. he wud be betta in dallas in they would trade j. howard for someone like bosh who is used to being a number 1 option and pair him up with dirk. dirk would den play way better as the number 2 option den a number 1

JMan17
09-02-2008, 10:59 PM
Dallas needs more of a "go-to" guy. I'm talking players like Carter, Tmac, Wade, Bron, AI, Melo, etc. Teams like Dallas, the suns don't have that.