PDA

View Full Version : 2008-2009 Award Predictions according to ESPN

bball1217
09-01-2008, 07:46 PM
They have 25 ESPN staff members vote for MVP, ROY, best "newcomer" and worst "newcomer".

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=Awards-080901

They also did this for the records and results of 2008-2009, which I think there is another thread about that.

Enjoy!

MiamiHeat
09-01-2008, 07:48 PM
:clap:Wade getting some respect back from the sport sites
:clap: @ Beasley winning R.O.Y and him being one of the best newcomer

RoyalG333
09-01-2008, 07:58 PM
I like the heat having a come back season with Wade and Beasley at the helm. I think the Heat will be better than 8th in the East. Its going to be tough to beat Boston though.

The Lakers topping the West again. I think the west this season is going to be even more competitive than last year. Houston will have more impact and the tough teams will always be there in SA, NO, Utah. I think Dallas will suck as will Phoenix. I don't think Phoenix will make the playoffs. I think Denver, GS, or LAC will take place of the Suns.

Hawkeye15
09-01-2008, 08:00 PM
I like the heat having a come back season with Wade and Beasley at the helm. I think the Heat will be better than 8th in the East. Its going to be tough to beat Boston though.

The Lakers topping the West again. I think the west this season is going to be even more competitive than last year. Houston will have more impact and the tough teams will always be there in SA, NO, Utah. I think Dallas will suck as will Phoenix. I don't think Phoenix will make the playoffs. I think Denver, GS, or LAC will take place of the Suns.

Phx is better than any of those teams. If anyone falls out, it will be Denver, and Portland is in. All 3 of those teams got worse.

Hawkeye15
09-01-2008, 08:02 PM
How does Wade get votes? Everyone knows you have to be on one of the top 2-3 teams to win MVP. That award needs to be renamed, "Best player on the best team" award. And no love for Love on the rookie voting? He will get huge minutes right off the bat.

LakeShowRaider
09-01-2008, 08:03 PM
Kobe 3rd in MVP? hmmm dont knwo about that!

MiamiHeat
09-01-2008, 08:04 PM
How does Wade get votes? Everyone knows you have to be on one of the top 2-3 teams to win MVP. That award needs to be renamed, "Best player on the best team" award. And no love for Love on the rookie voting? He will get huge minutes right off the bat.

No Love will be a Bust,
and Wade should get that vote because he is a great player so stop hating :D

Hawkeye15
09-01-2008, 08:08 PM
No Love will be a Bust,
and Wade should get that vote because he is a great player so stop hating :D

Love has a skillset that makes him not a bust. He is the best passing big man to come along since Unseld. He rebound ferociously. Everyone thinks he will be a bust because he is white, and not cat quick. BS. And I am not hating on Wade, just pointing it out that they don't always give the award to the actual best player, they give it to a player on one of the top 3 teams.

Hawkeye15
09-01-2008, 08:09 PM
Kobe 3rd in MVP? hmmm dont knwo about that!

I think Paul wins it this year, since LeBron's team won't be a top team record wise

MiamiHeat
09-01-2008, 08:10 PM
Love has a skillset that makes him not a bust. He is the best passing big man to come along since Unseld. He rebound ferociously. Everyone thinks he will be a bust because he is white, and not cat quick. BS. And I am not hating on Wade, just pointing it out that they don't always give the award to the actual best player, they give it to a player on one of the top 3 teams.

Okay but who said Wade will win it all?
He is just on the list, but if He plays great he will win it don't you think?
That is why is call "MOST VALUABLE PLAYER" award
not "THE BEST PLAYER IN THE BEST TOP 3 TEAMS" award

GspLAL
09-01-2008, 08:16 PM
Okay but who said Wade will win it all?
He is just on the list, but if He plays great he will win it don't you think?
That is why is call "MOST VALUABLE PLAYER" award
not "THE BEST PLAYER IN THE BEST TOP 3 TEAMS" award

MVP Award doesnt work like that anymore, they give it to the best player on the best team now, why do you think Dirk got it??

Hawkeye15
09-01-2008, 08:47 PM
MVP Award doesnt work like that anymore, they give it to the best player on the best team now, why do you think Dirk got it??

I think Dirk was great that year, but MVP is not defined right. It should be the best player, period. Shaq should have won it like 5 times in a row in the late 90's, early 2000's, Nash should never have won it, and LeBron should have won it last year. but you are exactly right. The best player on the best team gets it.

heyman321
09-01-2008, 09:27 PM
I think Dirk was great that year, but MVP is not defined right. It should be the best player, period. Shaq should have won it like 5 times in a row in the late 90's, early 2000's, Nash should never have won it, and LeBron should have won it last year. but you are exactly right. The best player on the best team gets it.

Why should Nash not have won it? He should have both times, and maybe even a third. The first year he carried them to a 62-20 friggin record and they would have been the champs that year imo if Joe Johnson did not break his nose. I really would have liked the Suns to prove that running and gunning CAN win championships, but they had some questionable barriers.

JOSETHEALLSTAR
09-01-2008, 09:44 PM
i disagree with most of it but we'll see

$KnicksAndKobe$
09-01-2008, 09:53 PM
lol kobe at 3rd ... espn kissing lebrons *** again

Hawkeye15
09-01-2008, 10:02 PM
Why should Nash not have won it? He should have both times, and maybe even a third. The first year he carried them to a 62-20 friggin record and they would have been the champs that year imo if Joe Johnson did not break his nose. I really would have liked the Suns to prove that running and gunning CAN win championships, but they had some questionable barriers.

because he wasn't the best player in the NBA, he was simply the best player on the best team, which is my point. I love Nash, don't get me wrong, but his pathetic defense alone shows that he has never even been a top 5 player in the NBA. The award should go to the best player, period, regardless of record.

still1ballin
09-01-2008, 10:10 PM
I can't see lebron winning MVP....the MVP award has turned into a team award, so in order for lebron to win it, he would have the best record in the east or come close in 2nd place and i do not see that happening.

Phitin' Phan
09-01-2008, 10:13 PM
The Heat are so overrated. They will be 8th seed at best. Wade and Marion are solid, and they have Beasley. He will be a very good player but people think he will be an All-Star his first year, not happening. They will be good, but not right away.

Hawkeye15
09-01-2008, 10:17 PM
I can't see lebron winning MVP....the MVP award has turned into a team award, so in order for lebron to win it, he would have the best record in the east or come close in 2nd place and i do not see that happening.

agreed, that is why Kobe won it. In all reality, LeBron should have won it last year. Kobe should have won it in 05-06', when Nash won it. The award should go to the best player, regardless of team record. Your sig suggests you won't agree with me on Kobe not deserving of it last season, but it is the truth

horry1ur
09-01-2008, 10:19 PM
I find it ******** how they have Ron Ron in the top 2 in best newcomer and top 3 in worst newcomer :confused:

knicks1214
09-01-2008, 11:54 PM
Most improved can go to Wilson Chandler, I think. He showed huge strides last year, averaging close to 11ppg and 5 rpg when Thomas gave him time in the last month with 20 mpg (still not very much.) If he plays 30-35 mpg this year, like some people expect him to, don't be surprised if he sneaks up behind everyone and takes the award.

JordansBulls
09-02-2008, 12:43 AM
CP3 will get MVP and glad to see the Rose hype not being shown.

Lone Maverick
09-02-2008, 01:07 AM
Some of it seems sort of right but the rest I chalk up to ESPN BS, they can't wait to give Bron Bron his first MVP. I mean Kobe didn't win it till he was bout 30 for crying out loud.

Nexus
09-02-2008, 09:23 AM
"Here's the formula for inviting skepticism from our panel: Miss a lot of games with injury over the years, and compound that with questionable team spirit.

That's the equation that put Baron Davis and Jermaine O'Neal at the head of the pack for the player likely to have the greatest negative impact on his new team. Obviously, the Clippers and Raptors don't want to believe that, as they owe BD and JO a combined $109 million over the next few years."

After watching every news conference related to JO's coming to Toronto, I am convinced his knee is, as he says, the best it's been in a long, long time and nothing that will remotely slow him down or is major cause for injury concern. From these same conferences, I have NEVER been more convinced of a player's desire to redeem himself and at the same time do what needs to be done to help the team. I know, every new player has the same speech, but...watch and see.

Adding a triple-double threat in Baron Davis, who missed NO games last season, is a terrible acquisition? Yeah, he has some injury concerns, but to peg him as this someone who's EXPECTED to go down for a long time over other, more injury prone players is absurd. As for having a negative impact in the locker room, until this day I wasn't remotely aware of this possibility with Davis. Is he not one of the nicest and smartest guys in the NBA? (I've read his blog and seen a few interviews with him)

MiamiHeat
09-02-2008, 02:56 PM
The Heat are so overrated. They will be 8th seed at best. Wade and Marion are solid, and they have Beasley. He will be a very good player but people think he will be an All-Star his first year, not happening. They will be good, but not right away.
How are the Heat overrated? if they are 8th seed??? wow GTFO
your 76ers are overrated. :rolleyes: wow so a top 5 or even top 3 player is just "solid" :pity:

heyman321
09-02-2008, 03:20 PM
How are the Heat overrated? if they are 8th seed??? wow GTFO
your 76ers are overrated. :rolleyes: wow so a top 5 or even top 3 player is just "solid" :pity:

I will say one thing: Beasley is being overrated now, everyone thinks he's gonna be an all-star. Unless he goes badass in his rookie year and puts up 20-10 , but I see him putting up 15-8 max. which is still good, just saying, but I still think the Bulls are dumb for passing on Beasley.

MiamiHeat
09-02-2008, 03:27 PM
I will say one thing: Beasley is being overrated now, everyone thinks he's gonna be an all-star. Unless he goes badass in his rookie year and puts up 20-10 , but I see him putting up 15-8 max. which is still good, just saying, but I still think the Bulls are dumb for passing on Beasley.
That's fine is your opinion, but I do believe Beasley will become an allstar in his career I'm not saying in his rookie season, it would be great, but I don't know if he will make it to the Allstar Team. I see him putting up 17ppg and 7-9 rpg

Tmac,lt,berkman
09-02-2008, 05:57 PM
I think T-MAC will have his best season overall with 23ppg 11apg 7rpg but i do see Kobe, lebron, chris paul, dwade, kg, and even his teamate yao makin a run for the MVP award. OJ Mayo will barely beat michael beasley for the ROOKIE OF THE YEAR.
Yall people sayin steve nash should have won both MVP awards yall are stupid MARION is gone and he is garbage now Kobe should have won one and DWade should have won one.

knicks1214
09-02-2008, 05:58 PM
T-Mac is not averaging 11 assists per game...

J_B
09-02-2008, 06:02 PM
Oneal and Davis for worst newcomer?how?

Jezeble
09-02-2008, 06:04 PM

I am soooo glad that Rose is flying under everybody's radar -- no pressure for him. However, in Beasley's case, he has all that hype to live up to. All that pressure.... Rose will do what he was drafted by the Bulls to do -- make his teammates better! So, while Beasley is busy ball-hogging and grandstanding, Rose will be helping his team become a better team!

Give it a year or two and we'll see who's DUMB then.:p

cmellofan15
09-02-2008, 06:42 PM
I think Mayo has a nice chance of getting ROY

Hawkeye15
09-02-2008, 06:54 PM
I think Mayo has a nice chance of getting ROY

I don't. He will fight for minutes with the other 234 guards Memphis has, and they will be the worst team in the league. Durant only pulled it off because he was 20 ppg right off the bat, and when Oden went down, he already had it won. Mayo aint getting that this year, and might not ever in my opinion.

Hawkeye15
09-02-2008, 06:57 PM
That's fine is your opinion, but I do believe Beasley will become an allstar in his career I'm not saying in his rookie season, it would be great, but I don't know if he will make it to the Allstar Team. I see him putting up 17ppg and 7-9 rpg

dude, Beasley is a beast. Unless Miami takes him over, I can't see him not getting 17-8 right away. He is a potential 26-10 guy. That being said, he is also potentially Derrick Coleman. Only time will tell. I love the kid though.

kobe24>jordan23
09-02-2008, 06:58 PM
why does ESPN love freakin lebron overrated James so much he gets most of his points from the paint and can't shoot 4 his life. kobe is getting no respect here but i will say this kobe will repeat as mvp or at least get second place!!!

Afridi786
09-02-2008, 06:59 PM
why does ESPN love freakin lebron overrated James so much he gets most of his points from the paint and can't shoot 4 his life. kobe is getting no respect here but i will say this kobe will repeat as mvp or at least get second place!!!
Cuz he has a crap team...and they still get 50 wins nearly every year just because of him...without him, they would be the worst team in the nba.

Kobe didn't deserve it last year and he got it, so u shud be satisfied.

Hawkeye15
09-02-2008, 07:01 PM

Kobe gets no respect from ESPN?????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????/ Are you insane? Yeah, a guy who goes for 30/8/7 is overrated. Dude, I don't give a ***** how he gets his points, he gets them. And he gets more than Kobe. Please. The media is so far up Kobe's butt, it isn't even funny. And I think the media should be following a guy who has avoided a rape trial, publically called out his young center whom you Laker fans love, demanded a trade, and run the only reason he won a ring out of town.

Hawkeye15
09-02-2008, 07:02 PM

Kobe gets no respect from ESPN??????????? Are you insane? Yeah, a guy who goes for 30/8/7 is overrated. Dude, I don't give a ***** how he gets his points, he gets them. And he gets more than Kobe. Please. The media is so far up Kobe's butt, it isn't even funny. And I think the media should be following a guy who has avoided a rape trial, publically called out his young center whom you Laker fans love, demanded a trade, and run the only reason he won a ring out of town.

kobe24>jordan23
09-02-2008, 07:04 PM
ESPN is a joke because all they do when they talk about basketball is how great lebron is i mean he is good but he is no where near kobe at this point and espn is already saying that he is better than kobe i mean he might be better than kobe but i don't see that happening until 3 or 4 years from now!! whoever says lebron is better then kobe right now please give me 5 reasons why i should believe that...

kobe24>jordan23
09-02-2008, 07:05 PM
watever hawkeye15..

Hawkeye15
09-02-2008, 07:10 PM
watever hawkeye15..

your sig alone is ridiculous. Why? You show your Kobe bias with it. ESPN, and all media outlets are all over Bryant. And why not cover LeBron?? He is a clean, good dude, who doesn't act like an idiot. Kobe is great, no doubt, and I have no problem with anyone who says he is currently the best player, but I think LeBron is better. Kobe should have won MVP 3 years ago. LeBron should have won it last season.
And please, like I said, your sig is stupid. If you actually believe that Kobe is better than Jordan, I will never again feel the need to respond to your post.

bidi_nash
09-02-2008, 07:11 PM
I thought espn did a pretty good job with the awards

knicks1214
09-02-2008, 07:40 PM
Kobe24...you believe that Kobe is better than Jordan...that in itself is ridiculous...and I'm a Lakers fan so I like Kobe. Take a look at what Kobe did in his first 5 seasons and what Lebron has done. Lebron has had A LOT more success than Kobe did in his first 5 seasons. Oh, and if you think that they love Lebron more than Kobe, a few months ago there was an article saying that Kobe is going to be the second best shooting guard in the history of the NBA, behind Jordan. They also said that it can change if he wins 6 championships...which isn't going to happen because of how difficult it already is to win the western conference championship right now. Yes, they love Lebron, and they have reason to. He averages 30, 8, and 7 and took his team to the finals ALONE, something Kobe has not done, he is the fastest player to get to 10,000 points, AND he took the Celtics to 7 games, and a very close 7 games in the eastern conference championship ALONE also...they have a lot of good reasons to constantly talk about Lebron but trust me, Kobe does get his due.

p-o-g-i
09-02-2008, 08:00 PM
They should adapt the NHL mentality of MVP for the play most valuable to a team's overall success, as in the team would drop without that individual's performance......... and the player's award for the top overall player, voted by the actual players.

Ph1lly Diehard
09-02-2008, 08:10 PM
Elton Brand best newcomer :clap:

Beno7500
09-02-2008, 11:51 PM
ESPN is such a suck up network.

Beno7500
09-02-2008, 11:54 PM
LeBron WILL win MVP

DreamShaker
09-02-2008, 11:59 PM
T-Mac is not averaging 11 assists per game...

Yeah....if he averaged 8 I would be giddy and suprised....

DreamShaker
09-02-2008, 11:59 PM
ESPN is such a suck up network.

LeBron WILL win MVP

:confused:

FOBolous
09-03-2008, 12:03 AM
ESPN is a joke because all they do when they talk about basketball is how great lebron is i mean he is good but he is no where near kobe at this point and espn is already saying that he is better than kobe i mean he might be better than kobe but i don't see that happening until 3 or 4 years from now!! whoever says lebron is better then kobe right now please give me 5 reasons why i should believe that...

you're right. the only way for ESPN to not be a joke is to put Kobe as the #1 favorite to win all the awards. why? cause he's Kobe frikin Bryant...the best player in history of the NBA. Even Jordan can't hold Kobe's jock strap.

and you're also right...Lebron is overrated. 30 pts while shooting 48% from the field? 8 rebs? 7 assists? 2 steals? pssssssh that's nothing. Kobe can do that in his sleep if he wants to...the only reason he doesn't is because he doesn't want to make everyone else look bad and because he wants to give everyone else a chance. In fact, Kobe Bryant is SOOO amazing that when Kobe Bryant does a pushup, he isn’t lifting himself up, he’s pushing the Earth down.