PDA

View Full Version : Cutting players

NastyRud
09-01-2008, 06:32 PM
Should the NBA adopt an NFL-like way of allowing teams to cut players instead of waiving players and hoping they don't get picked up (Portland / Darius Miles for example)? I know player contracts are guaranteed and the players would still get paid -half by team and half by league, but maybe something in the line of being able to cut a player and only half of their contract goes against the cap. I think this would help the quality of the game as certain players would work harder instead of shutting down after a big payday. And teams would be able to get better overall instead of being stuck (cause we all know one bad contract can set a team back years). The league could also do like a trade - trade one bad contract for a draft pick? If so what contract would you like to cut?

Hawkeye15
09-01-2008, 06:37 PM
Trust me, the owners would LOVE to do this, but the players union would strike for eternity if they tried to push this through. Troy Hudson, Grant Hill, Jonathan Bender, etc.

dre1990
09-01-2008, 06:37 PM
no

Hawkeye15
09-01-2008, 06:38 PM
For the Wolves, Brian Cardinal. They traded away all their bad contracts, but that is the only bad deal we have left. 2 years, $13 million total

NastyRud
09-01-2008, 06:41 PM
Trust me, the owners would LOVE to do this, but the players union would strike for eternity if they tried to push this through. Troy Hudson, Grant Hill, Jonathan Bender, etc.

As they say "My bad" I forgot the part where the team is still held for half the salary and the league pays the other half which is why I used the draft pick as compensation. So I don't think the Union would oppose it seeing that the players would still get paid.

KG#1
09-01-2008, 06:52 PM
makes sense.......so david stern with make it not happen

Hawkeye15
09-01-2008, 06:57 PM
As they say "My bad" I forgot the part where the team is still held for half the salary and the league pays the other half which is why I used the draft pick as compensation. So I don't think the Union would oppose it seeing that the players would still get paid.

and who supplies the league with the money to pay that other half? They would never agree. They aren't paying that out of their pockets.

jtrinaldi
09-01-2008, 07:25 PM
gadzuric and jerome james would be pissed if it happened

JOSETHEALLSTAR
09-01-2008, 09:46 PM
it wont happen

NastyRud
09-01-2008, 10:16 PM
it wont happen

I know. Just wanted to see what Fans thought.

bogdanrom
09-01-2008, 10:20 PM
The reason the NFL does it is because a team has 55 players. It will help a lot of teams though. You sign someone to a contract then he sucks, you're stuck with his contract.

superkegger
09-01-2008, 10:38 PM
The reason the NFL does it is because a team has 55 players. It will help a lot of teams though. You sign someone to a contract then he sucks, you're stuck with his contract.

Good point.

That, and the nature of contracts are so much different in the NBA. In the NFL, contracts have the guaranteed money and then what you can earn. Like Jake Long got like 30 mil in guaranteed money, but the potentail for like over 60 or something. In the NBA, there are some contracts that have incetives, but when a NBA player signs his deal, he gets that amount, in full. Plus, NBA players have a much longer career on average.

Injury risk and the like is lower. a good running back in the NFL can last 3 years and then be done, usually you don't see a good sg fizzle after 3 years. The point is, its somewhat of necessity in the NFL, while in the NBA, such is not the case.

SAVAGE CLAW
09-01-2008, 11:54 PM
There should be a rule that said, if you have a player and in their first season with your team or first season right after you resigned him and playing the same amount of minutes he played the year before has his stats go down in a 40% for more than 3 months you can cut it from "free" ,you pay him half his salary and you can cut his salary from the books.

That would end the Jerome James, Waltons and Dampiers of the world.

Another posibility is, when you cut a player he cant play for any other team for at least 9 months of active Nba schedule (summer does not count), wich could mean an entire season if you get cut in May.

That would end with a lot of players autohurting their game to get bought out or traded for a pack of bags , Kidd, Carter, Webber etc etc.

knicks1214
09-01-2008, 11:56 PM
Savage, you do know that what you just said would never get passed by the players union right?

SAVAGE CLAW
09-02-2008, 12:30 AM
If they are so strong then why do exist the Draft, the salary cap, the trade fudge, the restricted FA , the max salarys etc?

They are all rules that are barely Legal since they deny them certain rights that every WORKER has somewhere else.

If you work cooking Burgers in Mcdonalds and Burger King wants to offer you 20 dollars more a Week if you work for them, do you have to go to your boss and say, do my salary allow me to be transfered to Burger King?, No son you are a restricted Fa and im matching offers i dont care if its Burger King or Wendys.

Or better, You fihnish your medicine studys in the University, does someone come to you and say, no son you cant sign for this Hospital here in your own city you have to go to Alaska and win half what you deserve for three years because i say so!.

See???

So, if they allow this and dont go on a serious strike they wouldnt do a long strike if such measures would be implemented.

barreleffact
09-02-2008, 04:09 AM
its part of the job. all that money...u rly shouldnt complain. but they have a union. thats how unions run. there are things you dont like and things that benefit you. its life. but as far as the pay 1/2 and then cant play anywhere and all the rest of the things uve been saying...they wont happen. its unrealistic and it defeats the purpose of a contract. like someone else has already said, you need more clauses in football because of the injury rate. in basketball people can play any given position till 40

knicks1214
09-02-2008, 10:41 AM
Savage, what you are saying though won't happen. They won't let a player get cut after 4 months or for not playing well...just trust me.

superkegger
09-02-2008, 12:18 PM
If they are so strong then why do exist the Draft, the salary cap, the trade fudge, the restricted FA , the max salarys etc?

They are all rules that are barely Legal since they deny them certain rights that every WORKER has somewhere else.

If you work cooking Burgers in Mcdonalds and Burger King wants to offer you 20 dollars more a Week if you work for them, do you have to go to your boss and say, do my salary allow me to be transfered to Burger King?, No son you are a restricted Fa and im matching offers i dont care if its Burger King or Wendys.

Or better, You fihnish your medicine studys in the University, does someone come to you and say, no son you cant sign for this Hospital here in your own city you have to go to Alaska and win half what you deserve for three years because i say so!.

See???

So, if they allow this and dont go on a serious strike they wouldnt do a long strike if such measures would be implemented.

Yeah, we all get what you're saying, but they all understand that going into the draft. Plus they're making millions in guaranteed money to play a game. And players always have the option to just ride it out for a few years to become UFA's. It's a part of pro sports and every athlete knows it before going into the draft. It's not really a big deal.

Hellcrooner
09-02-2008, 03:12 PM
well , what claw has told can become a very good reason for players starting looking to europe if they offer more money.

No ****, go where you want to when you want to and earn as much as they want to pay you.