PDA

View Full Version : Knicks could be a top team in the next few years?

rico
09-01-2008, 05:46 PM
Anyone think the knicks will be back in the top teams in the next couple years?
Im going to have to say Yes, they already have like 39mil cap space as of now.

Next season they get 41 more (80mil) then 2010 they get yet another 27.5mil free up.

With DA as the new coach i see some major roster changes coming up and landing some prime players with all that money which could put them in the top teams.

Must be nice to have almost 98mil cap space to do what you please :(

Hawkeye15
09-01-2008, 05:53 PM
They have a LONG ways to go, so I think there should be another option for not being great, but respectable again

MOHA
09-01-2008, 05:54 PM
The Knicks have a Bright Future with Great Management. I expect them to be very Competitive in this upcoming season. They have Great players like Crawford, Robinson, Lee, Chandler, Gallinari, Duhon, and etc.

Hawkeye15
09-01-2008, 05:54 PM
Anyone think the knicks will be back in the top teams in the next couple years?
Im going to have to say Yes, they already have like 39mil cap space as of now.

Next season they get 41 more (80mil) then 2010 they get yet another 27.5mil free up.

With DA as the new coach i see some major roster changes coming up and landing some prime players with all that money which could put them in the top teams.

Must be nice to have almost 98mil cap space to do what you please :(

They won't have 98 million in cap space. The NBA salary cap is set at 60 million. The Knicks, with their network and merchandise deals, make so much, they can go way over. But it has proven it doesn't work for two of their teams, the Knicks and Yankees. They have to release Marbury, and get rid of the garbage that Thomas accumulated

Hawkeye15
09-01-2008, 05:55 PM
The Knicks have a Bright Future with Great Management. I expect them to be very Competitive in this upcoming season. They have Great players like Crawford, Robinson, Lee, Chandler, Gallinari, Duhon, and etc.

not one player listed above is great at all. I like Lee, Crawford is talented, but undersized, and if they were great, the Knicks wouldn't suck so bad. Everyone there but Lee and Gallinari has to go.

Big Quett
09-01-2008, 06:04 PM
What cap space figures are u looking at? They are going to spend alot less in contracts over the next few years but they will still be over the cap
heres the link

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/new_york.htm

BRADfromOZ
09-01-2008, 06:09 PM
The magic 8 ball says "Future not bright.".

Hawkeye15
09-01-2008, 06:09 PM
What cap space figures are u looking at? They are going to spend alot less in contracts over the next few years but they will still be over the cap
heres the link

omg, that is ugly. If they plan to get competitive, they have no choice but to go way over the cap. Randolph makes that much money???????????? wow

knicks1214
09-01-2008, 06:13 PM
I am a huge Knicks fan and I would say that unless the entire team steps up, soon, then it will take at least two years for them to make the playoffs. It also depends if they can get a playmaking point guard, or a player like Jrue Holiday in the draft because everyone knows we are going to the lottery...again...next year.Also, I have no idea idea where you are getting the cap info from...next year we are still going to be well over the cap even with Marbury, James, and Malik all expiring...if we can get a superstar in the '10 offseason, then that would be great...but we have to get under the cap first, and everyone knows how hard that can/will be.

$KnicksAndKobe$
09-01-2008, 06:18 PM
Well obviously Randolph will be gone soon so Eddy should be back to a top 5 center in this league so in a few years we should get better.

Duhon
Jamal
Chandler
Lee
Curry

Ph1lly Diehard
09-01-2008, 06:19 PM
No, because by that time the teams on the rise that are better then them (76ers/Nets/Heat/Bobcats/Pacers/Hawks/etc. Will all be better then them by then

metfan88
09-01-2008, 06:19 PM
not one player listed above is great at all. I like Lee, Crawford is talented, but undersized, and if they were great, the Knicks wouldn't suck so bad. Everyone there but Lee and Gallinari has to go.

yo man you buggin, all them players are talented but just need the right coach to guide them and we feel like we got the right coach for the job, knicks will def. be good within few years again but its gonna take time and hard work from curry cause i do believe randolph will traded either at the deadline or next off season.

Hawkeye15
09-01-2008, 06:20 PM
Well obviously Randolph will be gone soon so Eddy should be back to a top 5 center in this league so in a few years we should get better.

Duhon
Jamal
Chandler
Lee
Curry

where is Randolph going? Would you trade for an overweight, slow, $17 million a year big man? The only way they get under the cap is if Curry and Randolph are in a car together that goes over a cliff. But Nolan is loaded, they can afford those mistakes. If they stop now, and start making smart choices, then yes, in 3-4 years, they will be respectable again.

Hawkeye15
09-01-2008, 06:21 PM
yo man you buggin, all them players are talented but just need the right coach to guide them and we feel like we got the right coach for the job, knicks will def. be good within few years again but its gonna take time and hard work from curry cause i do believe randolph will traded either at the deadline or next off season.

shoot, Marbury had more physical talent than any point guard in the last 15 years. What did that get him?

bball1217
09-01-2008, 06:22 PM
Depending on who they sign in 2010 and who they draft in the next 2 years, then yes I think they could be a top 5 team.

GCOOKIE7
09-01-2008, 06:26 PM
still gotta think of all of the other up and coming teams out there

metfan88
09-01-2008, 06:28 PM
shoot, Marbury had more physical talent than any point guard in the last 15 years. What did that get him?

man knicks fans dont even know what to think of marbs. this dude in his own world lol, marbs if his head in the right place is top 5 PG so hopefully since he in contract year he will be vintage.

dre1990
09-01-2008, 06:35 PM
next year they will suck. i dont think they will be contenders in a few years, but they will be in the playoffs, and maybe make it to the 2nd round, but not any further

Hawkeye15
09-01-2008, 06:35 PM
man knicks fans dont even know what to think of marbs. this dude in his own world lol, marbs if his head in the right place is top 5 PG so hopefully since he in contract year he will be vintage.

trust me, I know. I am a die hard Minnesota fan, and he first teased us with unreal physical ability, then totally screwed us. He has no head on him. It's too bad, he could have been special. They need to lose him asap. Like, right now.

JMG15
09-01-2008, 06:40 PM

Top 5pg!?! thats a bit of a reach there chief. Top 15 MAYBE.

MiamiHeat
09-01-2008, 06:49 PM
No - They will still suck.
Is going to take time

Jaji
09-01-2008, 06:59 PM
The Knicks can easily be a top team if they just do 1 thing: Trade Stephon Marbury!

This is a proven way to win more games. The Nets dumped him for Kidd and went straight to the finals. The Suns smartened up and got rid of him and Nash won a couple of MVP's en route to making them respectable. If I was an NBA GM, the first thing I would do is acquire Marbury and then trade him. Instant success.

HiphopRelated
09-01-2008, 07:05 PM

Duhon
Jamal
Chandler
Lee
Curry

whatchu talkin bout Willis?

Hawkeye15
09-01-2008, 07:10 PM
whatchu talkin bout Willis?

seriously, his best year was 16-6. He wasn't a top 10 center then.

chi-town kid
09-01-2008, 07:13 PM
No they will suck forever.

cmellofan15
09-01-2008, 07:20 PM
I give em 5 years and then they will make the playoffs...

IndyRealist
09-01-2008, 07:39 PM

Randolph still has 3yrs $47M left on his contract, I don't think he's going anywhere anytime soon.

Assuming, like every other rebuilding team, they are targeting the summer of '10 to be significantly under the cap so they can make a run at Lebron, Wade, etc., then they key contract they need to be rid of is: Jared Jeffries. I realize that he does not have the biggest contract, but that's what will make him easy to move. They will already be $15-16M under the cap that year, so Jeffries' $6M will mean that they can offer a max contract to any free agent on the market. Assuming they land one of the big names, they then have three large expiring contracts in Crawford(10M), Curry(11M), and Randolph(17M) with which to acquire top players from other teams looking to rebuild. While it's not the optimal situation, it may be the best they can do. I'd personally rather have a competitive team in place first that you could just insert Lebron into, which is what the Nets are doing. But the flexibility that New York will have that year will mean that they can basically buy a contending team. And worst comes to worst, they can keep all of the expiring contracts, and sign Kobe, Dirk, Yao and Josh Howard as free agents in 2011.

RoyalG333
09-01-2008, 07:44 PM
They will definitely improve this season with Dantoni at the helm. Definitely make the playoffs. But I cant see them beating the Cavs, Detroit, or Boston.

rico
09-01-2008, 08:55 PM
They won't have 98 million in cap space. The NBA salary cap is set at 60 million. The Knicks, with their network and merchandise deals, make so much, they can go way over. But it has proven it doesn't work for two of their teams, the Knicks and Yankees. They have to release Marbury, and get rid of the garbage that Thomas accumulated

heres the link

just noticed it on the trade machine, i noticed they had like way more than any other team i figured it was because they had more money in their organization or something lol. my bad.

SAVAGE CLAW
09-01-2008, 09:34 PM
Well if by any MIRACLE suddenly every one on our roster played like there were supposed to play when we traded for them

or BETTER if every one of them suddenly started to play like their NBA LIVE stats said they could play in the year we traded for them.....

WE could WIN the ring.

On a serious note.... im fed up of Thomas mess, its TOO difficult to clean up.

$KnicksAndKobe$
09-01-2008, 09:50 PM
seriously, his best year was 16-6. He wasn't a top 10 center then.

He was 19 and 7 before Randolph came. And he is still is young too like 25.

fins08
09-01-2008, 09:50 PM
No.

Nets fan 93
09-01-2008, 09:54 PM
Nets have a better future and we have been in the playoffs for years beside last year :(... so i gotta say no.. they have no future player

Hawkeye15
09-01-2008, 09:59 PM

my bad, you are correct, but he was NEVER top 5 as a center. Usually, you want your center to average more than 0.8 blocks per game in their career. Point is, it is stupid to call him top anything, unless you are at a chinese buffet

Hawkeye15
09-01-2008, 10:00 PM
Nets have a better future and we have been in the playoffs for years beside last year :(... so i gotta say no.. they have no future player

possibly, but they are banking on LeBron in 2010. What happens if they don't get him? They will have a bunch of $$, but that doesn't mean they will be wise with it.

bogdanrom
09-01-2008, 10:13 PM
I think it will take more time to heal what Isiah did.

superkegger
09-01-2008, 10:42 PM
Top team? No. They'll improve of course, they can't really get worse. but they're a long long way from the top, or even middle of the pack.

HiphopRelated
09-01-2008, 10:45 PM
still wasn't a top 5 C

I remember they were b!tching that he was an allstar that year

gza4242
09-01-2008, 11:27 PM
They have alot to do stop with the crap signings they need to somehow move curry and randolph.....cut ties with jeffries and marbury....

all you have is danillo and lee maybe robinson other than that they are ****

start over get rid of thomas related crap

knicks1214
09-01-2008, 11:49 PM
gza if you think that Chandler isn't one of the up and coming players in the NBA, then you know nothing about the Knicks and probably have not watched them play many games. When Thomas gave him time last year, he averaged close to 11 ppg and 5 rpg in about 20 minutes. The last month of the season, when he was given time he should have had in the beginning, he showed great strides. Even Foxsports said that he is one of the top 10 players to watch out for a breakout season next year. (article was posted a while ago) Oh, also Crawford is pretty good...I mean, 20 ppg and 5 assists per game is decent (sarcasm.)

theimortalone
09-02-2008, 12:25 AM
With all the money they have coming off the books, I sure do hope that this team will be good. Hopefully players will be smart and not want to play under Duhtoni. He was a good coach, but the guy would not know d-fence if it kicked him in the ***!

ridere46
09-02-2008, 01:26 AM
DA is a good sign of good things to come. A few more years they should be respectable with DA in the helm and some creative moves from management after the Isiah debacle.

LA_Raiders
09-02-2008, 01:32 AM
yeah like the Yanks lots of $ no Champs...

JMan17
09-02-2008, 02:14 AM
i very much doubt it, unless the knicks pull off a mitch trade, or if wilson chandler becomes a great player and danilo turns out not to be a bust, then i don't think they would be good even for the next 6 years.

ertanozgur
09-02-2008, 03:08 AM
they can win maximum 30 games this year

Tom81
09-02-2008, 04:48 AM
I wish them luck ,but I don't know if D'antoni is right man .

Fireworld
09-02-2008, 05:39 AM
Depending on who they sign in 2010 and who they draft in the next 2 years, then yes I think they could be a top 5 team.

not a top 5 team but good.:cool: