PDA

View Full Version : Miller's decision could come today

Soop
09-01-2008, 01:49 PM
Seven players have signed a contract or agreed to terms to join the eight-man practice squad. The team is still actively working to sign veteran offensive tackle Fred Miller to a one-year contract, and a decision could come today. The club would need to release a player to make room for Miller, and if a rookie is cut, he could slide over to the practice squad if he clears waivers.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/bears/1138329,CST-SPT-bearnt01.article

DamnGoat
09-01-2008, 02:11 PM
Just say no to Fred Miller.

Offer Willie Anderson more money and let him sit for a couple weeks to learn this system (not that it should take longer than a day though).

Soop
09-01-2008, 02:21 PM

Offer Willie Anderson more money and let him sit for a couple weeks to learn this system (not that it should take longer than a day though).

I wouldn't mind but since you went there I got a better one for you. Let's go after Jason Peters, looks like he's still holding out on Buffalo. I would be so happy if we had Peters, it would be the smartest move JA could do. Can you imagine him and Williams as our tackles for the next decade? :drool:

Pran Raznor
09-01-2008, 04:01 PM
Can't we find another 50 yr old washed up tackle? Big Cat maybe?

dyceman
09-01-2008, 04:01 PM

I agree and can someone explain the hardheadedness of JA not picking up one of these disgruntled OL to help fix our line? Given the fact that he has
had to admit his failings with Bazuin and Okwo you would think that he would consider spending a little for a relatively quick and talented fix.

Pran Raznor
09-01-2008, 04:06 PM
I wouldn't mind but since you went there I got a better one for you. Let's go after Jason Peters, looks like he's still holding out on Buffalo. I would be so happy if we had Peters, it would be the smartest move JA could do. Can you imagine him and Williams as our tackles for the next decade? :drool:

Let's trade our 2nd and 3rd picks next year for Peters. It's not like JA is gonna get anything out them anyways.

WatWoudJordanDo
09-01-2008, 05:42 PM
yea b/c briggs, tillman, hester, forte, bennet havent/wont ever contribute to this team

Soop
09-01-2008, 05:42 PM
Let's trade our 2nd and 3rd picks next year for Peters. It's not like JA is gonna get anything out them anyways.

I would do that in a heartbeat if it was up to me.

BowDown
09-01-2008, 05:58 PM
Trading a 2nd and 3rd round pick for a franchise LT...No brainer. But then this spells the end for Williams because his frame would not allow for the additional weight due to his back. He'd need to move to RT, not to mention he was never know for his run-blocking. Peters may move there but why on earth would you move a guy who is one of the top 5 young LT's in the game to right?

Pran Raznor
09-01-2008, 06:06 PM
yea b/c briggs, tillman, hester, forte, bennet havent/wont ever contribute to this team

Bazuin, Okwo, Mark Bradley :yawn:, Tank, Rosevelt Williams, Terrance Metcalf. Okay, I'll go out on a limb and say that JA can't find us offensive talent in rds 2 and 3. Forte may be a nice pickup, kinda doubtful on Bennet though. Better off getting a young, proven commodity on offense like Peters than wasting another pick on a guy like Metcalf.

Soop
09-01-2008, 06:11 PM
Trading a 2nd and 3rd round pick for a franchise LT...No brainer. But then this spells the end for Williams because his frame would not allow for the additional weight due to his back. He'd need to move to RT, not to mention he was never know for his run-blocking. Peters may move there but why on earth would you move a guy who is one of the top 5 young LT's in the game to right?
Peters has played RT in 2005 and 2006 before switching to LT, so we know he can play there if asked.

BowDown
09-01-2008, 06:14 PM
Peters has played RT in 2005 and 2006 before switching to LT, so we know he can play there if asked.

I know that's where he played but he has made a successful transition over to LT. As you know, that position is much harder to get a quality player for. I don't think LT is what we need now. We need that type of talent at LG who will be able to make Williams better also when he comes back.

Pran Raznor
09-01-2008, 06:16 PM

Peters and Tait '08, Williams and Peters '09 :up:

Pran Raznor
09-01-2008, 06:17 PM
Bring in Lecharles Bentley at LG

Muttman73
09-01-2008, 06:22 PM
There is a history of dealing between Buffalo and Chicago, if there is any chance I'd go for it...

Pran Raznor
09-01-2008, 06:27 PM
Yeah, maybe Dick Jauron can throw us a bone

Soop
09-01-2008, 06:29 PM
I know that's where he played but he has made a successful transition over to LT. As you know, that position is much harder to get a quality player for. I don't think LT is what we need now. We need that type of talent at LG who will be able to make Williams better also when he comes back.

Right, but he was doing fine at RT so if we had to move him it wouldn't be an issue. I do think LT is an issue for us now and it would solidify our tackles pos.

Soop
09-01-2008, 06:30 PM
Yeah, maybe Dick Jauron can throw us a bone

**** a bone, I want the skeleton. :D

Pran Raznor
09-01-2008, 07:21 PM
We can probably kiss any chance of Peters goodbye if False Miller signs with us =(

cambovenzi
09-01-2008, 09:59 PM
you guys are not thinking over salary cap and contract issues.
peters wants a load of money.
but yes i would love to have him on the team.

freaknasty23
09-01-2008, 10:29 PM
you guys are not thinking over salary cap and contract issues.
peters wants a load of money.
but yes i would love to have him on the team.

well dont we have alot of money under our cap? im not sure and cant seem to find it.

cambovenzi
09-01-2008, 10:30 PM
well dont we have alot of money under our cap? im not sure and cant seem to find it.

i dont think it was too much, and the owners probably wouldnt want to max the cap out anyways.(cheap)

Soop
09-01-2008, 10:31 PM
I'm sure we could work something out if we didn't make the cap. I don't think that's the issue Cam.

cambovenzi
09-01-2008, 10:34 PM
I'm sure we could work something out if we didn't make the cap. I don't think that's the issue Cam.

yeah not so much the cap necessarily, but money is a big part of it.
i doubt they want to pay him 9 mil a year or whatever he was asking for on top of trading good value for him.

Soop
09-01-2008, 10:37 PM
i doubt they want to pay him 9 mil a year or whatever he was asking for on top of trading good value for him.

Why not? He's definitely worth it. If Buffalo doesn't cave in and pay him the money, he should get traded. Buffalo is known for letting players get away.

freaknasty23
09-01-2008, 10:38 PM

yeah god help us if we spend some decent money on a foundation for our offense :cool:

cambovenzi
09-01-2008, 10:44 PM
i think we only have like 9 mil available?
but salaries increase and new guys will need to be signed next year too.
cant cut it too close.

Tkais9009
09-01-2008, 11:10 PM
i think we only have like 9 mil available?
but salaries increase and new guys will need to be signed next year too.
cant cut it too close.

3,000,000 from grossman
5,550,000 from tait
2,500,000 from Archuleta ( still are paying him this season)

Thats 11,050,000 right there. and all of that is just FA money that can be used next year. There are still many millions more from other FA to be.

I see where your comin from but at the same time i think money will be available

CT Bears Fan
09-02-2008, 07:27 AM
Peters would be the "shut up!" Angelo could use to silence the critics (including me), while immensely improving the weakest aspect of this team. Having said that, the move makes way too much sense for Angelo's pretzel logic so expect Miller back or a long season of stay the course St. Clair.

cambovenzi
09-02-2008, 12:44 PM
Peters would be the "shut up!" Angelo could use to silence the critics (including me), while immensely improving the weakest aspect of this team. Having said that, the move makes way too much sense for Angelo's pretzel logic so expect Miller back or a long season of stay the course St. Clair.

like i said, your not thinking of the owners.
yeah, the team would be much better if we had him.
but there isnt much cap room, and we would have to pay him a ton.
the owners would be pissed at having to pay him, and basically max the cap
as well as the fortune youd have to give up for him on top of that.