PDA

View Full Version : off-season moves

rhensley3
09-01-2008, 12:15 PM
apparently, the royals dont seem to be focusing on going to the front this season, so the question is "what are the plans for next year?"

every team approaches changes three ways; trades, developement, and free agent signings. what do you think(or hope) the royals do this year?

i think we should sign 1 really good pitcher, and the best shortstop available, then....stop on the free-agents.

we should expect, to a degree, some further developement from our younger guys, and as discussed in a previous thread, we have several players trying to grab the corner-infield spots. maybe we have some trade-value there.

what do you think? please try to stay on-topic....your ideas are more than welcome!

PhillyLuver
09-01-2008, 03:07 PM
I doubt we'll make noise in FA, as usual

MetsFan28
09-02-2008, 04:04 PM
Get Sheets, a SS and your set.

rhensley3
09-08-2008, 01:35 PM
thanks to august, we have moved into a top 5 pick in the draft. olivo wants more p.t., so he's going elsewhere...and guillen has become a large question mark. its unknown if he is becoming a cancer, but that is a possibility. i'm sticking with 2 people...a big bat, and a left-handed ace in the free-agency. a shortstop from the draft/ minor leagues, moving aviles to second base...replacing grudzeilanek. (when he retires)

googley2621
09-08-2008, 09:12 PM
I think they should keep Olivo and get rid of Buck. Personally i think buck sucks balls. He hits .220 or worse, throws out about 10% of base stealers against him, and since he hits so bad he should have more home runs for as big as he is. Ideally though they could acquire or draft a good catcher and then get rid of both of them or keep one as a backup. Then they should go after Furcal and a good front end of the rotation pitcher.

CubFanSince84
09-11-2008, 04:29 AM
i think they'll keep olivo. i also think that aviles will be the SS of the next few years. a starter would be great, but ben sheets? probably not. they need to add a big bat that doesn't hit .240 (i'm looking at you, jose guillen) unless of course billy butler decides to learn how to hit. git rid of gathwright, he's just fast and nothing more (2 xtra basehits proves that) and i think a good 2B would be great, but will it happen?
well, it is the royals.

rhensley3
09-11-2008, 10:59 PM
they would need to trade buck to keep olivo. olivo, it was reported on 810 am whb in kansas city, has notified the royals he would NOT be excercising his player option to remain with the royals next year...due to lack of playing time, so his pt would have to be upped to starter status.

you are right on about billy butler. he needs to show a good deal of personal growth next season. myself, i think we should expect him to hit around .285, cut down on the strikeouts, draw a few more walks...or perhaps consider him a bust if he is the same as this year.

ditto with gordon...and get rid of EVERYBODY hitting below .210!

wouldnt you know, guillen went 2 for 5 today in the royals win at minnesota.

rhensley3
09-21-2008, 07:12 PM
here's another off-season move we need to make. our forum needs a make-over. we rank next to last in psd's mlb forum (post-count wise), only ahead of the pittsburgh pirates, and 800 posts behind the washington nationals!

what do we do to attract more interest in posters? the royals aren't a high-profile team, so there aren't a lot of stories out there on them. we currently have quite a few young players, who dont have histories in the league to discuss. it is completely undesireable for me to create a bunch of thread topics, because i feel that is counterproductive. if you have ideas or thoughts on this...please post them here.

rhensley3
10-01-2008, 08:42 AM
well...after a tremendous september, the royals finished 75-87, and in 4th place in the a.l. central! the really cool thing is that this off-season, the young players are going to mature a lot! the infield is almost set, dejesus finished the season above .300...so did aviles! we have 2 solid starting pitchers, with others pitching well in their last several starts...and one killer closer!

trey hillman indicated yesterday that he would learn from ownership/ gm within the next few days what the budget for free agency for the upcoming f.a. period will be. c.c. sabathia may be out of our budget allowance...but at this point, we dont know.

fishfan79
10-02-2008, 07:25 PM
What do you guys think of Dan uggla for a possible pick up in the offseason? He can hit well in our cavernous park he might be an interesting pick up for you all I figure.

Joakim Greinke
10-02-2008, 09:14 PM
Maybe. But we need someone else. Uggla has good power, but he isn't that good at average.

rhensley3
10-03-2008, 07:33 AM
we'll see what the free-agent budget is for this year, but he sounds good. we could use a big bat.

Joakim Greinke
10-03-2008, 03:50 PM
I think a veteran presence in our line-up will improve our team a lot. A good veteran.

rhensley3
10-04-2008, 10:54 AM
trey hillman said in his end-of-the-season press conference, that he was going to do whatever is necessary to smooth out and make comfortable the relationship between the royals and jose guillen. he completely intends for him to be here next season and to have a better year then he did this year.

we actually have a limited number of positions available for upgrade. right now...i'd say right field and shortstop...maybe catcher. if grudz comes back...then i'd say plug in aviles into shortstop, so we have to be very specific about who we go after this off-season.

rhensley3
10-04-2008, 01:26 PM
royals story (http://http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081002&content_id=3584715&vkey=news_kc&fext=.jsp&c_id=kc)

rhensley3
10-04-2008, 02:23 PM
more (http://http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081002&content_id=3584715&vkey=news_kc&fext=.jsp&c_id=kc)

rhensley3
10-04-2008, 02:24 PM
hmm....still not working.

rhensley3
10-04-2008, 03:08 PM
dick kaegel/mlb.com

when the royals finished september with an 18-8 record and moved out of last place in the american league central, there was good reason to view 2009 with brighter eyes.
first-year manager trey hillman, however, took a realistic tack on what he learned about his team in 2008.
"i think the biggest question has been answered: that we realize how far we need to continue to go to be competitive day-in and day-out in the central, " hillman said.

the royals will be trying to beef up that most basic need, scoring runs, because again they were among the american league laggards in scoring. they can use another bopper to complement jose guillen in the middle of the lineup. maybe that guy is already around--an alex gordon, a mark teahen or a ryan shealy or a billy butler just ready to bust out.

but while they're waiting, the free-agent market needs to be culled. given the way-back fences of kauffman stadium, maybe an all-around smacker--did someone say raul ibanez?--might be a better investment than a pure home-run hitter.

"we not only need more production but the other part of the equation is we're never going to hit as many home-runs as the chicago white sox. we're probably not going to hit as many as the cleveland indians, simply because of the size of our ballpark," hillman said. "you play 81 games here, and that has an effect on it."

another veteran in the lineup might just be the ticketwhile the victory-starved kansas city fans are waiting for young players to pop into prominence.

"we're in a microwave society. we want it right now," hillman said. "and its understandable, especially with the hunger of the market and the lack of production in a lot of recent years."

in pitching, gil meche and zack greinke were so consistant that they are a solid foundation to the rotation.

"its a good 1-2 punch," hillman said.

the royals also have budding luke hochevar, whose season was cut short by injury, but with brian bannister and kyle davies scuffling at times, they'd like to add depth, preferrably with a left-hander.

"i think we all have a pretty good grasp of just how consistant we have to be on the mound to be successful in this division. and i think we're going to continue to gain more ground quicker if we continue to concentrate on the strengths of our starting rotation and moving that forward," hillman said.

a clear definition in the middle of the infield is also a necessity. rookie mike avilesnshowed he can hit but should he play shortstop or second base? either way, who fills the other spot?

a rangy shortstop who can hit might open the coffers at renovated kauffman stadium. however, there's been no indication general manager dayton moore's payroll budget will go much above this year's 59 million and there's already $12 million committed to guillen and $11 million to meche. and with 14 players eligible for arbitration, the payroll will increase rapidly.

braves95
10-06-2008, 06:17 PM
Trade greinke to the Braves!!!!

MetsFan28
10-06-2008, 11:21 PM
Okay. Give us your backup catcher and it's a deal.

braves95
10-07-2008, 12:37 AM
clint sammons or corky miller because if u want corky yall can have the we'll even throw in some cash and a couple of prospects if you take him off our hands lol i doubt the royals will trade greinke for just sammons but idk

rhensley3
10-07-2008, 02:37 PM
thanks, but no thanks.

MetsFan28
10-07-2008, 03:48 PM
clint sammons or corky miller because if u want corky yall can have the we'll even throw in some cash and a couple of prospects if you take him off our hands lol i doubt the royals will trade greinke for just sammons but idk

Wow. This kid is serious. The Royals will definatly do Greinke for Sammons. They need a catcher.

rhensley3
10-07-2008, 03:55 PM
not if it costs greinke...we've got olivo

MastaPeacock
10-09-2008, 04:37 PM
I hope you are all being sarcastic. Greinke goes nowhere. We need one or two more players. Dan Uggla would be great, but is a FA or trade bait? Also, we SHOULD sign someone like ManRam, but that's a pipe dream that'll never happen. Uggla, plus Guillen showing up without an extra 30 pounds and Shealy healthy would provide a pretty good offense, especially if Gordon shows up and Butler stops being a ****ing creampuff. Teahen can prove himself in AAA or **** off. DeJesus should be traded to a desperate team for a power hitting OF prospect. On that same note, I wonder if Kila Kahlua or whatever the **** his name is can play LF. Shealy'd pull a hammy and hopefully Butler will be taking up DH the whole year kicking ***. Aviles is going to be on the decline. Mark my words, this was his career year, same as Pena, Berroa, et all. No walks, hit for average. Pitchers will adjust and they still wont be able to draw walks or lay off pitches. Our bright spot: pitching. Meche, Greinke, Soria are all legit. We can build up a bullpen out of spare parts each year it seems. Hopefully Davies will be better now that he has sped up his delivery which has improved his control. He killed in Sep. and hopefully its permanent. I think I need to write these up seperately...

rhensley3
10-10-2008, 08:23 AM
I hope you are all being sarcastic. Greinke goes nowhere. We need one or two more players. Dan Uggla would be great, but is a FA or trade bait? Also, we SHOULD sign someone like ManRam, but that's a pipe dream that'll never happen. Uggla, plus Guillen showing up without an extra 30 pounds and Shealy healthy would provide a pretty good offense, especially if Gordon shows up and Butler stops being a ****ing creampuff. Teahen can prove himself in AAA or **** off. DeJesus should be traded to a desperate team for a power hitting OF prospect. On that same note, I wonder if Kila Kahlua or whatever the **** his name is can play LF. Shealy'd pull a hammy and hopefully Butler will be taking up DH the whole year kicking ***. Aviles is going to be on the decline. Mark my words, this was his career year, same as Pena, Berroa, et all. No walks, hit for average. Pitchers will adjust and they still wont be able to draw walks or lay off pitches. Our bright spot: pitching. Meche, Greinke, Soria are all legit. We can build up a bullpen out of spare parts each year it seems. Hopefully Davies will be better now that he has sped up his delivery which has improved his control. He killed in Sep. and hopefully its permanent. I think I need to write these up seperately...

:clap:. boy was that pent up! welcome back to the forum, man. hope we can see you more often. we need knowledgable royals fans like you to visit more often!

good post...i sorta disagree with you about mike aviles, though. i think they will move him back a little bit in the batters box, but i think his fielding will remain strong. he may not bat .320 next season, but i'll bet he goes better than .265 !:D

Chiefs316
10-10-2008, 10:36 AM
We need a left handed pitcher, and we need someone who can play short stop I think Aviles would be better at second base.

rhensley3
10-13-2008, 02:10 PM
idk...i like that 360 spin he does behind second base!

rhensley3
10-13-2008, 02:11 PM
have we got the balls to sign the 100 million dollar deal for sabathia? we would ROCK with him!

Zaunnie
10-18-2008, 02:29 PM
Greinke for Alex Rios or something to that extent?

rhensley3
10-19-2008, 01:14 PM
how about manny? he's looking for a 3 yr/18-20 million deal. if he increased ticket sales by 7000 per game, that would be 6.5 million alone! he's not the best in left field...but he's solid. his bat is undeniable. with an improved pitching staff, and the young core we have maturing another year's worth...that pickup would immediately put us in the playoff mix for 2009!

rhensley3
10-31-2008, 12:16 AM
now that the first salvo has been fired, we are looking for a candidate to fill the middle-reliever role that leo nunez filled. he looked very good to begin the season and, after a mid-season injury, he looked good in september.

is it ramirez...gobble? or maybe bale? what do you think?

CY24
10-31-2008, 01:28 AM
Hey. What would the Royals be looking for for Mark Teahen??

Chiefs316
10-31-2008, 02:37 PM
probably a guy that can come in and be a starting pitcher say at the 4 or 5 spot but thats just my opinion

Chiefs316
10-31-2008, 02:38 PM
we need a good starting left hander

CY24
10-31-2008, 07:24 PM
probably a guy that can come in and be a starting pitcher say at the 4 or 5 spot but thats just my opinion

You mean Yusmiero Petit?

serGeant
11-01-2008, 04:57 PM
Trade Zack Greinke to the Angels for IF Chone Figgins, C Jeff Mathis, and P Brandon Moseley.

Play Figgins at 2B, with Callaspo at SS. Mathis can compete with Buck and Olivo for C. Moseley can step into the rotation. The Angels want another arm and Greinke would probably have a breakout season for a good team like Anaheim. Moseley is lost in the shuffle in LA. Mathis is an everyday catcher on most teams, but Mike Napoli tends to hold the spot for LA. Figgins would be the real prize, as a versatile leadoff man who can play all over the diamond.

jimmyjames
11-02-2008, 07:33 AM
well since david dejesus is coming to the yankees you are gonna need a CF

rhensley3
11-02-2008, 05:35 PM
well since david dejesus is coming to the yankees you are gonna need a CF

you know...that's almost funny!

rhensley3
11-07-2008, 10:11 AM
the royals and miguel olivo excercised their team option for the 2009 season this week. does this target john buck for a move? seems like a good place for a major league prospect to come in and play a game a week or so. we could develop that player over the year to be able to assume the starter role should olivo not choose to stay in 2010.

TheUltimateGM
11-08-2008, 04:17 PM
How about the following 3-team deal:

Kendry Morales to Mariners
Ryan Rowland-Smith to Royals
Teahen/Joe Dickerson to Angels

rhensley3
11-09-2008, 01:29 PM
is rowland-smith a left-hander?

TheUltimateGM
11-09-2008, 04:39 PM
^ Yeah he is. Look up his stats with the Mariners last year. It would be tough for them to give him up. What other lefties would the Royals be looking for? How much money do the Royals have to spend?

Sport
11-10-2008, 12:11 AM
Trade Zack Greinke to the Angels for IF Chone Figgins, C Jeff Mathis, and P Brandon Moseley.

Play Figgins at 2B, with Callaspo at SS. Mathis can compete with Buck and Olivo for C. Moseley can step into the rotation. The Angels want another arm and Greinke would probably have a breakout season for a good team like Anaheim. Moseley is lost in the shuffle in LA. Mathis is an everyday catcher on most teams, but Mike Napoli tends to hold the spot for LA. Figgins would be the real prize, as a versatile leadoff man who can play all over the diamond.

IMO thats would be a good trade for the Royals, but instead of Callaspo at short, what about Aviles?

Maybe you just forgot about him, but I have to think Aviles would get the nod over Callaspo.

rhensley3
11-11-2008, 11:27 AM
How about the following 3-team deal:

Kendry Morales to Mariners
Ryan Rowland-Smith to Royals
Teahen/Joe Dickerson to Angels

i'd say ok, then. i dont know much about smith, but if he has starter's stuff then i'm in.

rhensley3
11-11-2008, 11:33 AM

i think not. greinke is the ace of our staff. this move would put you into the series, and take us completely out of any post-season play completely. sorry, but we have a little butt-kicking to do next season and we'll need zach to be a part of it.

C-ross12
11-19-2008, 04:01 PM
I think the only way Greinke gets delt is for a good catcher or a good prospect package. Potential deals

Braves get: Zach Greinke
Royals get: Yunnel Escobar, Charlie Morton and Jeff Locke

Recap: Braves get a frontline starter in Greinke, which they need to compete.
Royals get a good package of prospects headed by Escobar, a top SS prospect. Morton can come right in and pitch and Locke should be a decent LHP.

Braves get: Russell Martin
Royals get: Zach Greinke

Probably far off, but I've seen some reports that Dodgers arent happy with Martin? If thats the case and they want to move Martin, they could go many ways with it. Prospects from BOS most likely, but a deal here would make sense I think. Greinke could replace Penny for very cheap and be a likely upgrade this year over Penny. Martin could be the face of the royals for years.

Rangers get: Zach Greinke
Royals get: Taylor Teagarden, Mid level BP Arm

Obvious where I'm going with this. Rangers have a surplus of good catchers and need pitching badly. Both are good players, and Teagarden should be very good. Royals should also be able to get a BP arm out of this, trying to make up for the loss of Ramon Ramirez.

Chiefs316
11-20-2008, 01:32 AM
Is worth way more than one prospect.....he will command a lot more than that

rhensley3
11-20-2008, 09:37 AM
royals general manager dayton moore indicated in his end-of-the-season press conference that he was done trading talent for prospects. the royals have built the farm system back into a good supplier of young talent. we are taking a step forward this season and greinke is the core of that pitching staff.

not gonna happen.

Zaunnie
11-23-2008, 12:43 AM
Now that the Royals traded for Crisp they need a second baseman. May I suggest Mike Fontenot? He posted a solid line, and he is without a starting spot over in Chicago

rhensley3
11-23-2008, 12:31 PM
what does chicago need? do we have something tradable they would be interested in? there are some free-agent second basemen we can fit into the budget.

BaRRySandAmaN
11-23-2008, 01:57 PM
Im liking what im seeing our of the Royals right now. I could see them being major players on getting Orlando Hudson. He would be a nice guy that will get on base and plays exceptional defense.

Iggz53
11-24-2008, 06:10 PM
what does chicago need? do we have something tradable they would be interested in? there are some free-agent second basemen we can fit into the budget.

dejesus would be nice

rhensley3
11-25-2008, 08:32 PM
dejesus IS nice...but you wont get him for a back-up second baseman! hahahahahahaha!!!

The MLBeat
11-27-2008, 07:19 PM
Seems that Royals fans are undervaluing Greinke. He would be an extremely valuable trade chip, but I think it would better serve the Royals if they went after more pitching and keep the Meche, Greinke tandem in tact. I know everyone seems to think that certain players are untouchable, but baseball is a business, and each and every offer must be considered.

I believe the Royals would be best served going after a player like Jonathan Sanchez, Scott Olsen (pre-trade), Sean Marshall, etc who have upside, but won't cost much in the way of uber-prospects. The Royals have some interesting bats rising through the system, and they should be willing to wait on FA's as their young players like Butler, Gordon, Moustakas, Hosmer, and Ka'aihue continue to progress.

Instill a legitimate young rotation and wait for the bats to blossom. KC has some very nice upside for the future if they can be patient enough to wait it out.

-themlbeat

rhensley3
11-28-2008, 03:09 PM
the addition of mike jacobs and coco crisp will make an impact on the opening day lineup, for sure. gmdm swears we arent done yet! not sure whether to watch the winter meeting or free-agency closer. orlando hudson at second would be sweet!

Chiefs316
11-28-2008, 08:42 PM
I think that we need a LHP and some relief pitchers badly but i don't who we could fet in free agency, I think that if we wanted a LHP we would have to trade for him, and i don't know who is tradeable at this time and wh owe would trade for, any body got any ideas

Southsideheat
12-05-2008, 12:52 PM
what could the white sox give you for DeJesus?

TheUltimateGM
12-06-2008, 04:51 PM
What would you guys want from the Angels for Teahen?

Mythman13
12-08-2008, 08:50 PM
I say they keep all their pitchers
Meche, Greinke, Bannister and co.
Sign an arm, like a Burnett or Sheets type though very unlikely
Then stay with the youth they have
Dont go spending big dough on guys that wont make too much of a difference like Guillen
Missing out on Hunter last year was big but maybe Crisp will prove to be more than he was with Boston
theres nothing I would love more than a 1st place Royals team
I see it soon

rhensley3
12-09-2008, 01:49 PM
i'd say you're pretty close on that one.