PDA

View Full Version : Niners Claim Brooks

TheKid510
08-31-2008, 07:29 PM
Niners got Ahmad Brooks off waivers. What you think about that, because wasn't he someone who had a lot of potential a year or two ago?
http://www.49ers.com/pressbox/news_detail.php?PRKey=4554

9er4life
08-31-2008, 07:51 PM
The 1st year that Brooks played for the Bengals, he played pretty well and people on this forum were writing the 9ers blew a chance at getting him. Last season he had a groin pull that kept him out the season. And he has an alleged incident in which he is suppose to have hit a woman in the face.

As far as play, if someone can provide an insight to his play as of this preseason, that would give us an ideal of his contributions to the 9ers.

Crombiestudd6
08-31-2008, 08:04 PM
i dunno hope h can tonrtibute

WillisLovechild
08-31-2008, 08:06 PM
hope he's good...

NinerNation
08-31-2008, 08:36 PM
I was pissed that the niners waited to long in the supplemental draft a few years back. I think its great that we picked this guy up. and we were able to sign clayton to practice squad. gives us another year with him and hopefully he stays and doesnt sign with another team.

lelelele boss49
08-31-2008, 09:55 PM
this is juss a guess but.....hes a MLB, im thinkin he will replace spikes due to age or injury.....he seems to have potential and hes young....so we can have willis lawson brooks and prolly sum1 other than tbc after next years draft.....who has a better LB core than us? i like to think ares is atleast one of the best but i dont really know alot about other teams LB cores

WillisLovechild
08-31-2008, 10:55 PM
this is juss a guess but.....hes a MLB, im thinkin he will replace spikes due to age or injury.....he seems to have potential and hes young....so we can have willis lawson brooks and prolly sum1 other than tbc after next years draft.....who has a better LB core than us? i like to think ares is atleast one of the best but i dont really know alot about other teams LB cores

we have one of the better LB corps in the league. other teams that have good ones include the bears, the packers, the vikings, the cowgirls, the chargers, and the pats. all we need is one of them to learn to rush the passer. i hope the chargers release merriman in a year or two and we sign him. the sutuation with him and jyles tucker is a lot like the one in buffalo with ted washington and pat williams... and AJ Smith was the GM in both of those situations.

bornFrisco49er
08-31-2008, 10:56 PM
seahawks lb core is pretty solid, tatupu, jp and leroy hill..the oakland raiders isnt so bad with morrison, howard and thomas/brown..packers lb core is young and talented barnett, poppinga and aj hawk..pats have an old but effective lb core...niners are definitely not the only team with a solid lb core, there are many out there..but who's the best? i dont know for sure..

jbeezy
08-31-2008, 11:36 PM
In college Brooks timed the snap and jumped over the oline to get the sack. He can be beastly. Hopefully Singletary can help him.

downsos
08-31-2008, 11:43 PM
We will have to see what happens I guess, not sure what this guy can do.

9er4life
08-31-2008, 11:46 PM
In college Brooks timed the snap and jumped over the oline to get the sack. He can be beastly. Hopefully Singletary can help him.

I was thinking the same thing in regards to Singletary. Between A. Brooks and Holmes, you are looking at two guys with uptapped potential. I know potential is another way of saying wishful, but what a place to start.

bartlett2266
09-01-2008, 12:29 AM
low risk high reward pick up said to have had 1st round talent held back by off the field issues if hes past that and can can play we added some talent if not we cut him find someone else to be a back up

bornFrisco49er
09-01-2008, 12:34 AM
I was thinking the same thing in regards to Singletary. Between A. Brooks and Holmes, you are looking at two guys with uptapped potential. I know potential is another way of saying wishful, but what a place to start.

yeah, some players just need a change of scenery.. i mean he was in cincy and we all know whats been going on in cincy in recent years..potential is nice but we're all hoping that develops into performance

hitmaster5000
09-01-2008, 01:32 AM
what about signing WR chad jackson. the patriots just released him and he was a former 2006 2nd round pick. he was hella good in college

djeller1139
09-01-2008, 01:33 AM
We should have gotten Rosevelt Colvin. He would come cheap, has produced very well in the past, and I'm sure could still produce off the bench.

aquaman117
09-01-2008, 09:18 AM
this guy's definately has the ability to be a top tier ilb next to willis, singletary and nolan just have to get him prepared mentally, which could take time

530 raiderhater
09-01-2008, 12:18 PM
this is a great move.... our young lb core has a very bright future....

does anybody know what other FA'S there are out there that we might be interested in???

FrumDaBay
09-01-2008, 02:21 PM
I like brooks better than D. Thomas... so im giving the :hi5:

9erlakesdodgers
09-01-2008, 03:00 PM
the best lb we have is singletary, meaning he will make all these guys BEASTS!

lincecum=future
09-01-2008, 04:51 PM
I really like this move. I wanted us to pick him in the supplemental draft a few years ago.

974life
09-01-2008, 06:17 PM
I hear he has some attitude problems and off field type issues, ISNT THAT HUGE RED FLAG!!!

FNM BOY
09-02-2008, 09:24 AM
Yeah but with good coaching and realizing that this may be his last chance, he could prove to make the best of his opportunity....Try seeing the glass half full rather than half empty.

bornFrisco49er
09-03-2008, 01:53 AM
I hear he has some attitude problems and off field type issues, ISNT THAT HUGE RED FLAG!!!

Im hoping hes past that..and hes out of CINCY so that is already +1..

bigmac8675
09-03-2008, 04:36 AM
I like brooks better than D. Thomas... so im giving the :hi5:

+1 Brooks is waaaayyyy better than Thomas.

FrumDaBay
09-03-2008, 01:42 PM
I just am unsure as to why we are looking so hard for someone to back up willis.... (thomas, and now brooks) i mean we have plenty of LBs and willis did start every play last season.. i know things happen but i think there are much bigger concerns on this team than to find a back up for our best player... Just my opinion

bornFrisco49er
09-03-2008, 01:49 PM
I just am unsure as to why we are looking so hard for someone to back up willis.... (thomas, and now brooks) i mean we have plenty of LBs and willis did start every play last season.. i know things happen but i think there are much bigger concerns on this team than to find a back up for our best player... Just my opinion

well derek smith was getting manhandled last year thats y...the better some guy can withstand those guards, the more willis can roam free, wreak havok, etc. if that guard reaches that second level blasting the ted lb, that lets the guard go 2 that 3rd level/aka secondary, and a fat hole for that rb to take it to the house..remember that chester taylor 70+ yrd run last year...thanks to steve hutchinson and that whole left side..if that ted holds his ground, that can be the difference form 1-3 yards, from 5 yards-td..this also makes the de's and NT's jobs that much more important on the 1st level..everyone's part is essential to a solid stop..as for pass defense, the more athletic the ted lb is, the better he is in coverage, drop backs, zone, etc. we need a complete lb and d.smith, thomas weren't it..we're hoping brooks can be that guy

Thatruth32
09-03-2008, 02:13 PM
yea i was happy about it as well.... thomas didnt show me anything this preseason so the move cant hurt...

Darren5000
09-12-2008, 02:27 AM
The LBs are not bad. Now if we can only fix our Dline. This is the start of something good, all we need is a pass rusher, WRs, few Oline, maybe we can contend by next year.