PDA

View Full Version : Is Raps' Ukic ready for NBA?

Sports Illustrator
08-31-2008, 12:15 PM
Saw Raptors' new backup point guard Roko Ukic at the Olympics. Just one observer's opinion, but he didn't look NBA ready. Hope they have a Plan B to back up Jose Calderon this season.

From Toronto Sun (http://torontosun.com/Sports/OtherSports/2008/08/31/6620726-sun.html)

JermanJaysFan
08-31-2008, 12:37 PM
Not much insight given here...

We do have Solomon to help out too- I am sure between the two of them we can cobble together a very passable backup PG duo.

Beach Rock
08-31-2008, 12:38 PM
It's amazing how good "great players" can make a point guard look. Once this guy has Bosh, Jermaine, etc to work with his play will appear much better. I'm looking forward to seeing him play for us.

nstojic
08-31-2008, 12:44 PM
i think his shot is incosistent but the same can be said about 90% of rooks...
i remember once hearing something about how calderon was a true PG, this was a couple of years back, but it was hard to tell from stats because in international ball they're more strict with when they credit a player with an assist and therefore, 3-4 assists in a game would equate to a 6-8 assist game in the NBA.. and it turned out to be true, in calderon's case... i think ukic will be the same and thus, his game will work better in the NBA... plus, from the croatia games i watched, he can grab some boards and steal some balls... heck, i'd be happy if he turned his size at the 1 into a lock down defender and provided a bit of scoring and pg play...

nstojic
08-31-2008, 12:48 PM
It's amazing how good "great players" can make a point guard look. Once this guy has Bosh, Jermaine, etc to work with his play will appear much better. I'm looking forward to seeing him play for us.

good point, from the games i saw, they didn't use ukic as a facilitator, much... their top bigs/scorers also handled the ball quite a bit, which is unusual to us in the NBA game... where we dump down low, leaving little ground for our bigs to ballhandle

_Sn1P3r_
08-31-2008, 01:09 PM
Kinda scary to hear. He's still young and a rook so Solomon and Calderon could teach him some things but Solomon should be ready at all times just incase Ukic isn't really ready.

blujaysrock
08-31-2008, 01:11 PM

ya I agree and it's not like he will get 25 minutes a game

Dol-Fan
08-31-2008, 01:42 PM
first, there is really no insight given here. Second, i'm not sure, but I dont think he even played with another NBA player on that Croatian team. Correct me if I'm wrong. He was supposed to be the star of his Croatian team and he will be a back up PG getting 10-15 MPG here. He will be fine.

nstojic
08-31-2008, 02:29 PM
first, there is really no insight given here. Second, i'm not sure, but I dont think he even played with another NBA player on that Croatian team. Correct me if I'm wrong. He was supposed to be the star of his Croatian team and he will be a back up PG getting 10-15 MPG here. He will be fine.

that's not the case, i'm serbian and have read some croatian site stuff... that tomas guy was to be the number one option on that team and planinic was up there as well because of his NBA experience... they would have started ukic if that was the case

Dol-Fan
08-31-2008, 02:38 PM
that's not the case, i'm serbian and have read some croatian site stuff... that tomas guy was to be the number one option on that team and planinic was up there as well because of his NBA experience... they would have started ukic if that was the case

this is why i wanted someone to correct me :p

I didn't follow the Croatian team at all, Ukic and Planinic were the only names I recognized on the team so I figured Ukic would have been a prime option. I remember Zoran being garbage in the league.

Halladay
08-31-2008, 02:52 PM
One writers opinion. Who cares. Everyone else seems convinced that he's ready if he wasn't, BC wouldn't have brought him over yet.

star
08-31-2008, 06:00 PM
apparently he was ready even last year and was not getting any benefit from being overseas ... so i guess he is as ready as he will ever be

lukeem21
09-01-2008, 02:19 AM
I think its hard to tell how the transition will go, we have him signed for a 3 year deal and it might take him that long to put it together... that is why we got solomon who is a safe bet to fill in for the 10-15mins calderon isnt on the floor