PDA

View Full Version : Ny Post: Rangers' Shanahan Looks At Other Teams

SLY WILLIAMS
08-31-2008, 08:43 AM
EXIT STRATEGY
RANGERS' SHANAHAN LOOKS AT OTHER TEAMS
By LARRY BROOKS
August 31, 2008

Brendan Shanahan, his wife and their three young children are moving back to their midtown Manhattan apartment this week from their summer home in Cape Cod.

School, after all, begins on Thursday.

But as much as Shanahan - not just unsigned, but as yet even offered a contract by GM Glen Sather with training camp scheduled to open on Sept. 16 - wants to return for a third season with the Rangers, the free agent winger is prepared to investigate other opportunities. Even if that means moving across the country.

"That would obviously be a family conversation," Shanahan, whose twins, Maggie and Jack, are almost six and whose daughter, Catherine, is almost four, told The Post. "But it's not like the kids are in high school."

"My priority remains signing with the Rangers and finishing the job I came here to do two years ago. I've spoken with Tom [Renney] and have told him that I'm willing to accept whatever role he thinks is best for the team.

"I want to stay in New York because I believe I can contribute, but if that door closes, I'll have some other interesting options to consider."

The most interesting of which might be the opportunity for the 39-year-old winger to move west and join the Ducks. It is believed that Anaheim general manager Brian Burke reached out last week to Shanahan, the Rangers' third-leading goal-scorer with 23 last season behind 25-goal-scoring co-leaders Jaromir Jagr and Chris Drury.

The Devils, Blues and Flyers are all believed to have indicated varying stages of interest in Shanahan, whose production plummeted after he suffered a sprained knee in a Jan. 5 open-ice collision in Edmonton with Dustin Penner that neither the winger nor the Rangers gave proper time to heal.

Shanahan refused to answer when asked if he has an offer on the table from New Jersey, where he began his NHL career for Lou Lamoriello in 1987-88.

Though Sather placed a call to Shanahan on July 3 to tell him that the door for his return remained open, and though the GM repeated the same message to agent Rick Curran two weeks ago, his vague words have not translated into a contract offer.

"I don't know if everything is on hold because of Mats [Sundin]," Shanahan said. "It seems like his situation has frozen teams around the league."

It's possible that Sather is holding out as long as possible on Shanahan in order to retain No. 14 as an option to fill a hole if the Blueshirts shed a group of wingers that would include Petr Prucha in order to create cap space for free-agent center Sundin.

Possible, but is that likely?

"My career has taken some turns that I didn't necessarily foresee," Shanahan said. "If this doesn't work out with the Rangers, I'm confident that regardless of what happens, it will be for the best."
http://www.nypost.com/seven/08312008/sports/rangers/exit_strategy_126828.htm

nascar10294
08-31-2008, 10:20 AM
I'd say we sign him. I know there is a little salary cap issue, but will a 1/2 year contract kill it? He'll help out our offense that has tooken a hit so far this offseason.

redwhiteandblue
08-31-2008, 02:47 PM
Just sign him. The only hold up tough could be that Sept 15th deadline where the 38+ yr old's contracts are different. I think the Shanny situation will play itself out soon.

CurseThis
09-01-2008, 02:18 AM
Do not want.

SLY WILLIAMS
09-01-2008, 11:06 AM
Shanny is my favorite player but his legs are gone. If we resigned him I would only want him playing on power plays and in shootouts not killing penalties or playing on a regular shift.

nascar10294
09-01-2008, 11:45 AM
^^Thats what I would do with him, but maybe a regular shift now and then just to get some legs a little extra rest, but not playing regularly.

redwhiteandblue
09-01-2008, 12:25 PM
He's pretty much saying to do what they want with him. Sometimes I'll take heart over talent. He has way more desire to help the Rangers be the best they can be then any other FA out there, and you can't put a price on that. I think if he's not with us by season start were stupid. How could you possibly argue putting him on the fourth line, and 1 special teams role. Especially considering his shot isn't broken. It's not like we need him to play on the first line, so who cares about his legs. I'm sure they're more then adequate to play as much as we need him to.

messleetch94
09-01-2008, 12:32 PM
I think they should re-sign him. He said himself, that he would take a reduced role. He's not here for money. He wants to win a Cup with the Rangers and he knows they can do it. He'll be cheaper than Sundin and can give good production, even if it's 3rd or 4th line. It would give them scoring depth through all for lines.

SLY WILLIAMS
09-01-2008, 01:49 PM
I love Shannys shot and leadership. The guys is one of the all time greats and one of my all time favorites. I felt bad for him at times though late in the season when his mind was 100% but his legs just were not there to follow through. I could live with Power play, shootout and an occasional shift on the 4th line. We dont need him on the penalty kill and his legs may stay fresher if we dont use him on there.

mlisica19
09-01-2008, 04:21 PM
i feel with shanahan, we can have a great 1st line... a line that already played with each other last year
Gomez, Dawes and Shanny-

with shanny we also acquire a great leader and captain... gain experience and a good player on PK- also a great slap shot the NYR r missing in the fowards but without him where moving on making room

idc what happens but if i had to choose i would sign him for 1 year.

redwhiteandblue
09-01-2008, 07:05 PM
See, we can't afford to fool ourselves that he'll be a first liner. Zherdev and Naslund are MUCH safer and likely bets to be productive with Gomer. It just strikes me that he's the perfect fourth line guy. He's alwasy been a bruiser (I actually just saw him ****ing kill some dude in an '85 game on the NHL Network a couple days ago) and he still doesn't give a **** about sacrificing his body. He's the perfect leader for the fourth line. You think he's gonna let them play soft when they're out there? Hell, he'll lead by example and do what it takes. On top of that, he's good fairly lethal shot for a fourth liner. Imagine a goalie having to deal with the first 3 lines, and then when the fourth line is out, having to worry about where Shanny is and if he's gonna tee it up. I think from a fourth line role he still amasses 10-15 goals, more likely around 10.

But as said, his leadership is priceless too. The things he can do in the lockerroom are great.

Desert Plains
09-01-2008, 11:27 PM
Sign and put him on the 4th line. Excellent leader and can contribute on both the penalty kill and power play - though he shouldn't be considered for primary roles on those units (only when needed to fill in).

SLY WILLIAMS
09-02-2008, 09:08 AM
See, we can't afford to fool ourselves that he'll be a first liner. Zherdev and Naslund are MUCH safer and likely bets to be productive with Gomer. It just strikes me that he's the perfect fourth line guy. He's alwasy been a bruiser (I actually just saw him ****ing kill some dude in an '85 game on the NHL Network a couple days ago) and he still doesn't give a **** about sacrificing his body. He's the perfect leader for the fourth line. You think he's gonna let them play soft when they're out there? Hell, he'll lead by example and do what it takes. On top of that, he's good fairly lethal shot for a fourth liner. Imagine a goalie having to deal with the first 3 lines, and then when the fourth line is out, having to worry about where Shanny is and if he's gonna tee it up. I think from a fourth line role he still amasses 10-15 goals, more likely around 10.

But as said, his leadership is priceless too. The things he can do in the lockerroom are great.

I agree about everything you said minus the hitting. Shanny very rarely threw the body last year. For his career your are right that he was a POWER forward but the hitting was missing for sure last year. I think he had around 47 body checks all year. That was very low for the Rangers team which is not a very physical team to begin with. For comparison a guy like Duby had almost 200 hits.

J4KOP99
09-09-2008, 08:43 PM
I have always loved the man so I would not mind this move at all, he is a great guy to have on the team IMO.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3578683

King Henrik
09-09-2008, 09:58 PM
The man bleeds blue. Shanny's been saying he wants to stay a Ranger since he became a FA. We're just waiting for Sather to get off his lazy *** and offer him a contract!

nascar10294
09-10-2008, 06:32 AM
I want him back, give him the money he wants for 1 or 2 years.

SLY WILLIAMS
09-10-2008, 05:19 PM
http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/2008/09/09/shanahan-confident-hell-be-a-ranger/

Shanahan confident heíll be a Ranger

September

Some quick updates on the Shanahan front, and then Iíll circle back later.

Shanahan was invited to skate with the Rangers by Tom Renney and Glen Sather. He doesnít yet have a contract but he said that his agent Rick Curran was talking to Sather this week.

More and more it sounds like a deal is imminent. Thatís not coming from Sather, who wasnít available for comment. And Renney, who was watching the workout from our spot in the media section, said it wasnít his place to say anything, either.

ďIím not going to speak out of turn. Itís the business side of the game,Ē Renney said, before adding, ďIt was a conscious decision by Glen and myself to invite him here.Ē

After practice, Shanahan sounded very much like he was preparing for a third season in New York. And seeing how his locker still featured his nameplate, it wasnít hard to picture him back.

ďMy agent is presently talking with Glen. Iíve made it clear to him that this is obviously the team I want to play on this season, and heís talking to Glen right now,Ē Shanahan said. ďIíve been optimistic throughout the summer that I was going to be part of the Rangers. Iíve kept in touch with Glen. Heís kept that door open and Iíve kept that door openÖ.And here we are now, coming down to it. Itís not like we had a whole lot of decisions to make.Ē

nascar10294
09-10-2008, 09:16 PM
^^good news

cdjdcld
09-10-2008, 10:37 PM
i say sign him and give him the C i always liked him and think he will be a great captain:)

King Henrik
09-10-2008, 11:17 PM
^^good news

VERY good news. nice find sly

Desert Plains
09-10-2008, 11:56 PM
Sign him and put him on the 4th line.

messleetch94
09-11-2008, 10:35 AM
I would love to have him back. We have a great group of young players (Dawes, Callahan, Dubinsky...) that he loves playing with. and on top of that he makes them even better. He's still got a hell of a shot. His leadership is unquestioned. He knows the system cause he's been here for two years. He will even accept a limited role, and he hasn't even considered another team (that we know about). Slats should do the right thing.