PDA

View Full Version : Chris Simms released...Bears interested

Asoriano12
08-30-2008, 07:04 PM
hmmm :eyebrow:
Bucs released QB Chris Simms, according to NFL Network's Adam Schefter.
They should've traded him during draft time, when Tampa Bay was offered a mid-round pick. Now, he's available to the highest bidder. The Bears are known to be interested in Simms, who's 28 and didn't play badly in camp. Aug. 30 - 7:00 pm et
Roto
We got nothing to lose!!

Muttman73
08-30-2008, 07:08 PM
I'd take him, but I bet he goes to Dallas

Asoriano12
08-30-2008, 07:12 PM
I'd take him, but I bet he goes to Dallas

lol i didnt understand that until i saw where your from :cool: you guys have romo and brad johnson..no need for simms there

Freddy GA
08-30-2008, 07:58 PM
lefty's are sweet

Muttman73
08-30-2008, 08:13 PM
I live in Texas, but grew up near Chicago...I'm a BEARS fan...
Cowboys are interested in Simms...Brad Johnson is a relic

CubRadio05
08-30-2008, 08:14 PM
hmmm :eyebrow:
Roto
We got nothing to lose!!

Oh god please no, PLEEEEEEAAAASSSEEE NOOOOO!

Sox Appeal
08-30-2008, 08:30 PM

Why? I would love to have Chris Simms on the team.

Asoriano12
08-30-2008, 08:47 PM
I live in Texas, but grew up near Chicago...I'm a BEARS fan...
Cowboys are interested in Simms...Brad Johnson is a relic

:eyebrow: even if they were interested, i bet you the bears would pay more to get him..they would be more eager to pursue simms because he has a great chance to start here.. (then you let simms decide...go to a team where youll sit, or go to a team where you can possibly start)

Asoriano12
08-30-2008, 08:47 PM

2 options...Simms or Culpepper...Orton/Rex/Hanie wont get it done

db75
08-30-2008, 09:25 PM
Orton/Rex/Hainie are all better options than Culpepper at this point. He isn't a scrambler anymore, he's injury prone, and he hasn't had significant playing time in what, a year? No thank you on that one.

And Simms would be nice to pick up, but he's not really a ton better (if better at all) than Grossman or Orton, and Hainie has some potential. No reason to bring him in at this point.

Muttman73
08-30-2008, 09:55 PM
You would think that Simms would want to go someplace where he could play like Chicago...but why not go to Dallas and sit + get paid + check out Jessica
up close oh, and win...did I mention not get killed by a terrible O line.

Asoriano12
08-30-2008, 10:30 PM
Orton/Rex/Hainie are all better options than Culpepper at this point. He isn't a scrambler anymore, he's injury prone, and he hasn't had significant playing time in what, a year? No thank you on that one.

And Simms would be nice to pick up, but he's not really a ton better (if better at all) than Grossman or Orton, and Hainie has some potential. No reason to bring him in at this point.

weve got nothing to lose at all..its time for the bears to take a chance...Im sick of hearing about people b******* about how our qbs suck (and i agree) But when its the time to sign or take a chance on some1, they back down and say that were fine the way we are. (not saying you are) Id really like to see what culpepper has left..but id prefer to get simms.

Tkais9009
08-30-2008, 11:45 PM
All Of These Damn Qb's Suck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

db75
08-30-2008, 11:48 PM
weve got nothing to lose at all..its time for the bears to take a chance...Im sick of hearing about people b******* about how our qbs suck (and i agree) But when its the time to sign or take a chance on some1, they back down and say that were fine the way we are. (not saying you are) Id really like to see what culpepper has left..but id prefer to get simms.

I understand what you're saying, but no QB the Bears have currently will do well until the line is solid. That is true of any team out there. If you don't have a line that can protect the QB, they'll always be awful. I just don't see anything in Simms's play that is any better than what the Bears have, and he won't be able to do well unless his supporting cast performs well, too. Orton doesn't have that 'It' quality, and I feel Rex does (or did) have 'It', but a lack of protection and support from the team and fans can really tear apart a player. Whether someone is a football player, a doctor, a teacher, or a janitor, having support behind you will always ensure a better product is produced. No teacher can be good if their students refuse to listen/the administration won't provide the tools necessary to teach well, just like a QB will always fail without the WRs catching balls (kinda like Moose and Berrian...), the RB gaining yards (where was Benson on that...), and the line protecting him from the defense (look at the preseason games...the team can dictate a QBs performance just like they did this year -Rex getting no support whereas Orton gets all the help in the world).

superdude79
08-30-2008, 11:50 PM
This is a tought call. I have been hoping that the Bears would sign Simms, but where would they put him on their roster? They would have to cut a QB and I think Haine has done enough to earn his spot. If the Bears cut Rex then there is no one behind Orton who knows the playbook and has experience. I think the Bears will definitly have more than one starting QB this year as it seems as though the o-line wants to see a QB actually die during a game, for some sick reason - so the Bears need a back-up who is familiar with their system, and that is Rex.

temper27
08-30-2008, 11:50 PM
YES!! Take Simms, have him start as backup to Orton but step in at any moment Orton falters, keep Hanie as #3 and cut Rex and let him go work at Taco Bell for his new career.

db75
08-30-2008, 11:54 PM
This is a tought call. I have been hoping that the Bears would sign Simms, but where would they put him on their roster? They would have to cut a QB and I think Haine has done enough to earn his spot. If the Bears cut Rex then there is no one behind Orton who knows the playbook and has experience. I think the Bears will definitly have more than one starting QB this year as it seems as though the o-line wants to see a QB actually die during a game, for some sick reason - so the Bears need a back-up who is familiar with their system, and that is Rex.

:clap:

I'm glad someone else understands this.

db75
08-30-2008, 11:56 PM
YES!! Take Simms, have him start as backup to Orton but step in at any moment Orton falters, keep Hanie as #3 and cut Rex and let him go work at Taco Bell for his new career.

No, no, no, no, NO! Simms doesn't know the playbook. That would leave 3 QBs with a combined 18 games of experience with the playbook. 18 ****ING GAMES! Why is it so hard to understand that a QB (other than Favre) cannot jump in with a month or less to go before the start of the season and perform well? :mad: Everyone getting their hopes up of picking up everyone else's trash after roster cuts is upsetting me.

temper27
08-31-2008, 12:25 AM
No, no, no, no, NO! Simms doesn't know the playbook. That would leave 3 QBs with a combined 18 games of experience with the playbook. 18 ****ING GAMES! Why is it so hard to understand that a QB (other than Favre) cannot jump in with a month or less to go before the start of the season and perform well? :mad: Everyone getting their hopes up of picking up everyone else's trash after roster cuts is upsetting me.

He probably wouldnt have to play until Orton got injured or screwed up anyway which probably would not happen until atleast midway through the season. Hanie knows the playbook somewhat now, have him start as the #2 and Simms the #3 until Simms learns the playbook enough from practices and then upgrade him to #2 and the #1 in waiting possibly.

Rex may know the playbook but he is still the crummiest and absolutely dumbest QB in the whole NFL who is a backup or more. I would rather have a QB who might still have some potential, and had his career wrecked strictly by injuries (Simms) to one who has gotten over his injuries and now we know for sure is useless period (Grossman). There is still a chance he might become good if someone gives him a real chance again, and what the heck can the guy do that he got injured while starting 2 years ago, and hasnt been given any chance again on that team, buried in a bizarre and clogged situation.

Simms and Grossman may both be looked at as thrash at this point but if you threw both pieces of thrash out on the curb more hungry hounds would flock to the Simms pile of thrash then the Grossman which would just be flocked by flies.

Asoriano12
08-31-2008, 12:41 AM
He probably wouldnt have to play until Orton got injured or screwed up anyway which probably would not happen until atleast midway through the season. Hanie knows the playbook somewhat now, have him start as the #2 and Simms the #3 until Simms learns the playbook enough from practices and then upgrade him to #2 and the #1 in waiting possibly.

Rex may know the playbook but he is still the crummiest and absolutely dumbest QB in the whole NFL who is a backup or more. I would rather have a QB who might still have some potential, and had his career wrecked strictly by injuries (Simms) to one who has gotten over his injuries and now we know for sure is useless period (Grossman). There is still a chance he might become good if someone gives him a real chance again, and what the heck can the guy do that he got injured while starting 2 years ago, and hasnt been given any chance again on that team, buried in a bizarre and clogged situation.

Simms and Grossman may both be looked at as thrash at this point but if you threw both pieces of thrash out on the curb more hungry hounds would flock to the Simms pile of thrash then the Grossman which would just be flocked by flies.

:clap: thank you..simms would be useful to have on this team...never said simms would start right away

db75
08-31-2008, 01:03 AM
How is he useful if we have a player who is identical to him already? Look at his and Rex's career stats...practically identical except Rex has much higher TD stats. It would be pointless to dump Grossman, have salary count against our cap, and pick up another player for probably about the same price who would be no better. It's a lateral move and unnecessary.

cambovenzi
08-31-2008, 01:07 AM
kids are ridiculous.
yeah lets cut grossman.
ignorantly booing him out of a starting job was one thing, now they have to try and get rid of him all together.
good, aggressive QBs throw interceptions.
it happens when you take shots.
look at brett favre for god sakes.
you see a turnover or two and its the end of the world.
hope you happy with a mediocre run game, b/c everyone stacks teh box, and a lousy pass game.

Asoriano12
08-31-2008, 01:13 AM
How is he useful if we have a player who is identical to him already? Look at his and Rex's career stats...practically identical except Rex has much higher TD stats. It would be pointless to dump Grossman, have salary count against our cap, and pick up another player for probably about the same price who would be no better. It's a lateral move and unnecessary.

cant really compare rex's and simms stats...Rex has played 33 total games compared to simms' 18...

db75
08-31-2008, 01:14 AM
kids are ridiculous.
yeah lets cut grossman.
ignorantly booing him out of a starting job was one thing, now they have to try and get rid of him all together.
you see a turnover or two and its the end of the world.
hope you happy with a mediocre run game, b/c everyone stacks teh box, and a lousy pass game.

I swear, I don't post on this board often, but the times I do, you seem to be one of the 5-10 people who can actually talk football and be logical (not that I think you're always right ;) ...but you make sense which is important when discussing the team's play)

Kyben36
08-31-2008, 01:22 AM
Who would we give up. IF its Hanie, No I dont want him. If its Orton, Still no. IF its rex. Sure I will take him.

Asoriano12
08-31-2008, 01:23 AM

It was his job to lose, and evryone on ESPN had been saying towards the end of last year "its Rex's last game as a Bear". So this shouldnt be new to you..i hope?

look at brett favre for god sakes.no comparison to favre and grossman, sure theyr aggressive qb's; but grossman cant even play like favre. not even close. Favre makes up for his int's with big plays. You dont see Rex throwing over 3500 yrds in a season..

:confused:

ChiSlugger
08-31-2008, 01:28 AM
rex blows

Asoriano12
08-31-2008, 01:29 AM
rex blows

:rimshot:

db75
08-31-2008, 01:30 AM
cant really compare rex's and simms stats...Rex has played 33 total games compared to simms' 18...

Sure you can. Rex has 185 passing yds/game. Simms has 163 yds/game. Simms has a 71.2 QB rating, Grossman has a 70.9. Rex throws about 1 TD and 1 INT a game. Simms throws .63 TDs a game and about 1 INT a game. Those averages show pretty much identical quarterback stats per game.

ChiSlugger
08-31-2008, 01:34 AM
A change of scenery is all a QB needs some times. Gruden brought a west coast offense to tampa, mabye simms will excell when he is in a different type of offense besides the west coast

Asoriano12
08-31-2008, 01:34 AM
Sure you can. Rex has 185 passing yds/game. Simms has 163 yds/game. Simms has a 71.2 QB rating, Grossman has a 70.9. Rex throws about 1 TD and 1 INT a game. Simms throws .63 TDs a game and about 1 INT a game. Those averages show pretty much identical quarterback stats per game.

lol sure you can name those stats, but you cant ignore the fact that rex has played 15 more games than simms... that matters. Listen, rex has had his shot in chicago IMO. like youve even said, he has 0 support right now. So, why not let him continue his career somewhere else??

db75
08-31-2008, 01:41 AM
Rex'll be playing elsewhere next year. What if Orton goes down on the first play of the year? I would much prefer having Rex on the roster to at least have a chance at saving the season instead of relying on a rookie QB to lead an even worse offense than the 2005 one to the playoffs. Thrusting a rookie into starting when he isn't ready could hurt his growth, and given where Hanie played in college and his lack of time with the first team, we'd be screwed.

Asoriano12
08-31-2008, 01:43 AM
Rex'll be playing elsewhere next year. What if Orton goes down on the first play of the year? I would much prefer having Rex on the roster to at least have a chance at saving the season instead of relying on a rookie QB to lead an even worse offense than the 2005 one to the playoffs. Thrusting a rookie into starting when he isn't ready could hurt his growth, and given where Hanie played in college and his lack of time with the first team, we'd be screwed.

lol why, do you think were gonna go somewhere this year??? Believe me i hope we do, but you have to think realistically here. I understand where your coming from...But why not leave it up to Hanie.. He understands most of the offense by now. Everyone BUT lovie(maybe even him, he just wont admit it) would want to see Hanie start over rex.

ChiSlugger
08-31-2008, 01:46 AM
haine is the best QB in chicago i have seen in a while.....they should start him now

db75
08-31-2008, 01:52 AM
lol why, do you think were gonna go somewhere this year??? Believe me i hope we do, but you have to think realistically here. I understand where your coming from...But why not leave it up to Hanie.. He understands most of the offense by now. Everyone BUT lovie(maybe even him, he just wont admit it) would want to see Hanie start over rex.

I don't think that the Bears are going much of anywhere, but I don't want to see them just throw away the season. I'm just concerned that throwing out a rookie QB could damage his future play, and that doesn't change that Simms is a lateral movement. If we think Orton is the man, we don't need Simms. If we think Hanie will eventually be the man, we don't need Simms. Why pay him to be a 3rd QB?

Asoriano12
08-31-2008, 01:59 AM
I don't think that the Bears are going much of anywhere, but I don't want to see them just throw away the season. I'm just concerned that throwing out a rookie QB could damage his future play, and that doesn't change that Simms is a lateral movement. If we think Orton is the man, we don't need Simms. If we think Hanie will eventually be the man, we don't need Simms. Why pay him to be a 3rd QB?

i dont think ortons the man (weak throwing arm; Cant make big plays), and hanie will eventually be the man...in 2 or 3 years possibly.. Are we gonna throw those 2 or 3 seasons away?? no.... And hanie could be out of the picture, (if we did sign simms) if simms excels as a Bear. there were 20 scouts at the Bucs game the other night, most of them for simms..Theres a reason for that...The man is a good ball player. People dont give him the opportunities hes looking for because he suffered a serious injury in his career. Rex, hasnt been given the opportunity to have a starting qb job because he hasnt proven himself in his 5 years as a Bear. ( 2 or 3 of them as their opening day starter)

cambovenzi
08-31-2008, 02:02 AM

I swear, I don't post on this board often, but the times I do, you seem to be one of the 5-10 people who can actually talk football and be logical (not that I think you're always right ;) ...but you make sense which is important when discussing the team's play)

thanks.

It was his job to lose, and evryone on ESPN had been saying towards the end of last year "its Rex's last game as a Bear". So this shouldnt be new to you..i hope?
he wasnt playing at the end of last year...he was hurt.
nice story.

what does that mean? announcers thought he would be gone? :ohno:
too bad we resigned him right?
best QB on the team, and the only guy who can step right in and do well if orton goes down.

no comparison to favre and grossman, sure theyr aggressive qb's; but grossman cant even play like favre. not even close. Favre makes up for his int's with big plays. You dont see Rex throwing over 3500 yrds in a season..

:confused:

i never said he was as good as favre.
few QBs EVER are as good as him.
but i was pointing out that good, aggressive QBs have turnovers.
favre is the alltime leader in interceptions.

no 3500 yard season?
thats nice. almost 3200 and 23 tds.

you think chris simms and kyle orton would do better?

Asoriano12
08-31-2008, 02:06 AM
nice story.

How did it matter that he was hurt??? Everyone knew that Orton would take over the job the next year...It wasnt his injury that lost his starting Qb job/for the next year (or even could have taken him out of chicago), it was his inability to be a consistent qb for our team.

db75
08-31-2008, 02:09 AM
It matters in that Grossman's development has been stunted by injuries. I don't care how good of a QB you are, if you're hurt every year, you are going to have a hard time to develop. I would like to still see Rex play in Chicago, but I know at this point he probably won't after this season. But, to get back on topic, it would be pointless to bring in a QB to fill Rex's role at this point in the season.

Asoriano12
08-31-2008, 02:13 AM
It matters in that Grossman's development has been stunted by injuries. I don't care how good of a QB you are, if you're hurt every year, you are going to have a hard time to develop. I would like to still see Rex play in Chicago, but I know at this point he probably won't after this season. But, to get back on topic, it would be pointless to bring in a QB to fill Rex's role at this point in the season.

It shouldnt matter when it is during the season....The bears are looking for a player that can help them win, and they may believe that simms could contribute to it. The report says that the bears are still interested, so im gonna believe it...I guess we just have to wait for the sports section on the trib/sun times tomorrow morning, and find out if the Bears are actually interested in simms

cambovenzi
08-31-2008, 02:14 AM
How did it matter that he was hurt??? Everyone knew that Orton would take over the job the next year...It wasnt his injury that lost his starting Qb job/for the next year (or even could have taken him out of chicago), it was his inability to be a consistent qb for our team.

b/c you made up a story.

actually OBVIOUSLY not everyone knew orton would take over, as rex was resigned, and they had a QB battle.

and like i said, how is that important in determining who is better btwn any of the QBs, or help a the bad idea that we should cut rex?

Asoriano12
08-31-2008, 02:16 AM
thanks.

nice story.

what does that mean? announcers thought he would be gone? :ohno:
too bad we resigned him right?
best QB on the team, and the only guy who can step right in and do well if orton goes down.

i never said he was as good as favre.
few QBs EVER are as good as him.
but i was pointing out that good, aggressive QBs have turnovers.
favre is the alltime leader in interceptions.

no 3500 yard season?
thats nice. almost 3200 and 23 tds.

you think chris simms and kyle orton would do better?

you must not have gotten that i was comparing those stats to favres (since you MADE it sound like you were comparing the 2)
I know grossmans stats, im not ********. You weren't clear about the grossman and favre comparison, so you cant judge my response to it.

Asoriano12
08-31-2008, 02:19 AM
b/c you made up a story.

actually OBVIOUSLY not everyone knew orton would take over, as rex was resigned, and they had a QB battle.

and like i said, how is that important in determining who is better btwn any of the QBs, or help a the bad idea that we should cut rex?

yes , i clearly made up a story to sabotage this whole thread..did i say that rex wasnt hurt when they said that?? no. Your taking my posts and assuming ****...tisk tisk tisk..MY whole point in this thread...Simms> Rex...thats it..not too hard to understand

cambovenzi
08-31-2008, 02:20 AM
you must not have gotten that i was comparing those stats to favres (since you MADE it sound like you were comparing the 2)
I know grossmans stats, im not ********. You weren't clear about the grossman and favre comparison, so you cant judge my response to it.

not saying rex was better.
clearly(IMO), saying that good, aggressive QBs have turnovers.
and naming brett favre as an example.

Asoriano12
08-31-2008, 02:22 AM
not saying rex was better.
clearly(IMO), saying that good, aggressive QBs have turnovers.
and naming brett favre as an example.

not so much, but i dont really care anymore

cambovenzi
08-31-2008, 02:24 AM
not so much, but i dont really care anymore

i love how you attacked one sentence that you made an assumption about, and completely abandoned the other parts of your posts that i responded to.:eyebrow:

Asoriano12
08-31-2008, 02:26 AM
i love how you attacked one sentence that you made an assumption about, and completely abandoned the other parts of your posts that i responded to.:eyebrow:

which 1's were those, the 1 with the announcers??? im gonna trust ESPN. And once they resigned grossman, i knew that it was gonna be a QB battle..im not gonna re-instate the obvious/....happy??

cambovenzi
08-31-2008, 02:30 AM
which 1's were those, the 1 with the announcers??? im gonna trust ESPN. And once they resigned grossman, i knew that it was gonna be a QB battle..im not gonna re-instate the obvious/....happy??

would you like to explain why releasing rex for chris simms would be a good idea?

Asoriano12
08-31-2008, 02:32 AM
would you like to explain why releasing rex for chris simms would be a good idea?

sure! i believe that rex has had his chance to be our starting qb. The fans dont support him, and hes inconsistent. Bears need a change at Qb...Orton and Grossman wont do the job..Hanie?? i dunno.. Simms is probably the best option out there...unless you can think of someone??

ChiSlugger
08-31-2008, 02:33 AM
rex sux in our system......simms came from a west coast system n he kinda sucked there...but a change of scenery is just wat simms needs

cambovenzi
08-31-2008, 02:41 AM
sure! i believe that rex has had his chance to be our starting qb. The fans dont support him, and hes inconsistent. Bears need a change at Qb...Orton and Grossman wont do the job..Hanie?? i dunno.. Simms is probably the best option out there...unless you can think of someone??

rex sux in our system......simms came from a west coast system n he kinda sucked there...but a change of scenery is just wat simms needs

there is no realistic improvement available.
simms is much worse.
rex already knows the system, and can step in.

i have bad news for you guys.
EVERY QB is somewhat inconsistent.
rex just had a few horrible games that gave him a really bad rep.

Asoriano12
08-31-2008, 02:43 AM
there is no realistic improvement available.
simms is much worse.
rex already knows the system, and can step in.

i have bad news for you guys.
EVERY QB is somewhat inconsistent.
rex just had a few horrible games that gave him a really bad rep.

then why isnt rex starting right now??? Why do the fans want him gone?

cambovenzi
08-31-2008, 02:46 AM
then why isnt rex starting right now??? Why do the fans want him gone?

so every team should release their backup QBs because they are not starting?
sounds brilliant.

Asoriano12
08-31-2008, 02:48 AM
so every team should release their backup QBs because they are not starting?
sounds brilliant.

never said that..a simple question...it seems that your very high on rex grossman, and i wanted your honest opinion on why isnt he starting for us..do i have you stumped? or do you not understand the question??

cambovenzi
08-31-2008, 02:55 AM
never said that..a simple question...it seems that your very high on rex grossman, and i wanted your honest opinion on why isnt he starting for us..do i have you stumped? or do you not understand the question??

oh i have plenty of reasons.
1. coaches are dumb.
2. statistically speaking, orton edged grossman by a tiny bit over the 1st 2 games.
3. orton played somewhat well at the end of last year.
4. plays more conservatively. (not necessarily a good thing)

i could say all kinds of things to discredit those reasons, b/c i dont agree orton is as good. but thats not really what this is about.

still no reason at all, so far, to release grossman, as suggested by you and a couple others.

Asoriano12
08-31-2008, 02:57 AM
oh i have plenty of reasons.
1. coaches are dumb.
2. statistically speaking, orton edged grossman by a tiny bit over the 1st 2 games.
3. orton played somewhat well at the end of last year.
4. plays more conservatively. (not necessarily a good thing)

i could say all kinds of things to discredit those reasons, b/c i dont agree orton is as good. but thats not really what this is about.

still no reason at all, so far, to release grossman, as suggested by you and a couple others.

i see..well at least you listed your reasons why..unlike most rex supporters ive talked to...honestly, i dont think either of them will get us anywhere...thats the only reason why i would explore other options at QB.

superdude79
08-31-2008, 06:20 PM
Now is not the time to mess with the roster. Rex is on the bench and hopefully he will stay there.

BEARSFAN3215
08-31-2008, 06:51 PM
haine is the best QB in chicago i have seen in a while.....they should start him now

How can you say hes the best quarterback in chicago you've seen in awhile? Hes played against third stringers. Now if he would have played against a little of the first string and second stringers and played as well as he did I wouldnt be arguing, but he hasnt. He hasnt shown anything outside of playing against a bunch of guys who wont even make the NFL. He has shown promise and good decision making but again its against third stringers. Yes I think we may have something in Caleb Haine but dont count ur chickens before they are hatched. Rex is easily our number 2 quarterback and should be our number 1. Rex will start this year because Orton will get benched he isnt good.

I don't know what anyone sees in him. When the Bears score 9 points a game which is all because of Robbie Gould, I dont want anyone complaining. Rex will get us down the field he operated a 95 yard drive granted it was against second stringers but thats an NFL quarterback for you.

Rex wont be in chicago next year and I hope he goes somewhere that Chicago plays next year and just kills us to show Chicago fans what we are missing out on. I truely do. That will be the only time I cheer against Chicago because Grossman has been treated unfairly by Chicago fans.

HE LED US TO A SUPER BOWL IF YOU GUYS REMEMBER!!!! You have to have an offense that scores points and Orton is not the answer. GROSSMAN IS OUR GUY!!!!

chitownfan55
08-31-2008, 06:56 PM
ricky manning signed with the rams

chitownfan55
08-31-2008, 06:58 PM
will you shut up
you guys are in love with this **** get a ****ing life

db75
08-31-2008, 07:38 PM
will you shut up
you guys are in love with this **** get a ****ing life

...really intelligent post. I mean, really. Post of the year...

1. If this is what some people love to do, let them do it. Talking about sports is as good of a hobby as cooking/reading/playing sports/whatever.
2. As a frequent poster to this thread, I'd like you to know that I have a life and am waiting another 2 weeks until my college starts classes. Don't challenge other people's use of time if you're going to do the same thing we are doing.
3. As a Bears fan, it's vital that I challenge what the coaching staff says and try to understand the moves that they are making. I don't feel that adding Chris Simms would be an improvement to what we have, so I'm going to voice my opinions here. I have no connections/relations to the coaching staff to say 'Hey, why are you guys doing this?' and my friends don't like talking sports with me because I challenge what they say when they can't back up their arguments. People on here give me a chance to discuss/argue opinions with stats, recent developments, and any other good reason beside 'Well, Rex sucked before, he'll suck again.'

cstreid
08-31-2008, 08:10 PM
There are a few reasons Rex really isnt the answer to the Chicago team, and never will be. Obviously the strength of the Bears is not their offense, certainly no shocker there. They will live and die by the success of their defense and special teams. Orton is the starter, not because he is that much better, but because he plays more conservatively, as someone mentioned earlier. Your defense will get the other team off the field. They are solid at nearly every position, and explosive tacklers which results in turnovers. Your offense's job (if you are to be successful) is to keep the damn ball. They dont have to score buckets of points, just protect the ball, and move the chains as much as possible. Add a few BIG special teams plays ala Devin Hester and you are on the board and in the lead.

As it comes to this thread, the question isnt really is Simms a better qb than Rex, it is, is he a better qb for this team and their make-up. I havent followed Simms' career as much as Rex's. But if you believe he is going to protect the ball better, you go with Simms. (provided it is a lateral cap move). The bears should not be throwing their season away, but they should also be looking to the future. If Simms is likely to start next year, (over Orton) then pick him up. Yes, you are risking a bad situation if Orton gets banged up in the first or second game, but Simms is a professional, he isnt a rookie, he doesnt have to adjust to the speed of the NFL, he just has to learn the playbook, that doesnt take years.

db75
08-31-2008, 08:43 PM
There are a few reasons Rex really isnt the answer to the Chicago team, and never will be. Obviously the strength of the Bears is not their offense, certainly no shocker there. They will live and die by the success of their defense and special teams. Orton is the starter, not because he is that much better, but because he plays more conservatively, as someone mentioned earlier. Your defense will get the other team off the field. They are solid at nearly every position, and explosive tacklers which results in turnovers. Your offense's job (if you are to be successful) is to keep the damn ball. They dont have to score buckets of points, just protect the ball, and move the chains as much as possible. Add a few BIG special teams plays ala Devin Hester and you are on the board and in the lead.

As it comes to this thread, the question isnt really is Simms a better qb than Rex, it is, is he a better qb for this team and their make-up. I havent followed Simms' career as much as Rex's. But if you believe he is going to protect the ball better, you go with Simms. (provided it is a lateral cap move). The bears should not be throwing their season away, but they should also be looking to the future. If Simms is likely to start next year, (over Orton) then pick him up. Yes, you are risking a bad situation if Orton gets banged up in the first or second game, but Simms is a professional, he isnt a rookie, he doesnt have to adjust to the speed of the NFL, he just has to learn the playbook, that doesnt take years.

I don't think any of us are in disagreement with this. But Chris Simms will not pan out to be anything more than Grossman. The question is if he will help THIS YEAR, and with near certainty, I can say he won't. There will be QBs of his caliber released next year. There are pretty much every year. He'll take too long to learn the playbook. He won't be practicing with the first team until he does so. That puts him at AT EARLIEST week 8 to be effective. Why would we add him if we have someone who will be as useful as he is right now?

Sox Appeal
08-31-2008, 08:45 PM
ricky manning signed with the rams

Wrong thread.

cambovenzi
08-31-2008, 08:51 PM
I don't think any of us are in disagreement with this. But Chris Simms will not pan out to be anything more than Grossman. The question is if he will help THIS YEAR, and with near certainty, I can say he won't. There will be QBs of his caliber released next year. There are pretty much every year. He'll take too long to learn the playbook. He won't be practicing with the first team until he does so. That puts him at AT EARLIEST week 8 to be effective. Why would we add him if we have someone who will be as useful as he is right now?

glad your taking some of these.
ive been somewhat busy lately.

many problems with simms.
1. he isnt as good as rex.
2. even if he was as good, he doesnt know the plays yet, and wouldnt be game ready enough, if needed for a while.
3. he isnt very young either. meaning not a great choice for a QB project. he will be nothing more than an average backup IMO.

db75
08-31-2008, 08:54 PM
glad your taking some of these.
ive been somewhat busy lately.

many problems with simms.
1. he isnt as good as rex.
2. even if he was as good, he doesnt know the plays yet, and wouldnt be game ready enough, if needed for a while.
3. he isnt very young either. meaning not a great choice for a QB project. he will be nothing more than an average backup IMO.

Exactly. If I remember correctly, Simms is in the same draft class as Grossman. That makes him 27 or 28, I think. If the Bears want to dump Grossman, they can do it at the end of the year when it doesn't affect the cap and they can take a chance on other (possibly better) QBs next year either via draft, trade, or free agency.

gocubs2118
08-31-2008, 10:04 PM
Chris Simms >>>>> Caleb Hanie. We are going to need 3 QB's this year with this group of people that some like to call an "offensive line". Putting in an undrafted rookie in there is just pretty crazy. Simms has the experience to be our 3rd string QB.

cambovenzi
08-31-2008, 10:23 PM
Chris Simms >>>>> Caleb Hanie. We are going to need 3 QB's this year with this group of people that some like to call an "offensive line". Putting in an undrafted rookie in there is just pretty crazy. Simms has the experience to be our 3rd string QB.

chris simms doesnt have the potential that hanie has.
i dont think chris simms as a number 3 QB will be any type of season saver.
so id rather keep hanie around.

Soop
08-31-2008, 10:28 PM
Chris Simms sucks, were not going after him people.

cambovenzi
08-31-2008, 10:31 PM

yea, and he sucks pretty bad.

db75
08-31-2008, 10:31 PM

:rock:

Soop
08-31-2008, 10:37 PM

1. Kyle
2. Rex
3. Caleb

That's three, I doubt they both get hurt and we see Caleb. If that's the case I'd rather have him in to get some experience. Simms hasn't shown anything but continue to live off his fathers name. Good college player, terrible NFL player.

Btw, why is this thread not locked yet?

gocubs2118
08-31-2008, 11:37 PM
1. Kyle
2. Rex
3. Caleb

That's three, I doubt they both get hurt and we see Caleb. If that's the case I'd rather have him in to get some experience. Simms hasn't shown anything but continue to live off his fathers name. Good college player, terrible NFL player.

Btw, why is this thread not locked yet?
Please tell me what Hanie has shown in his 3 preseason games. I have no problem in keeping him on the pracitce team roster but there isn't any point in keeping him on the 53 man roster. He is no where near being NFL ready.

cambovenzi
08-31-2008, 11:39 PM
Please tell me what Hanie has shown in his 3 preseason games. I have no problem in keeping him on the pracitce team roster but there isn't any point in keeping him on the 53 man roster. He is no where near being NFL ready.

he has shown some potential.
nice arm, very good mobility and pocket presence for the most part.
another team would pick him up way before he hit our practice squad roster.

gocubs2118
08-31-2008, 11:41 PM
he has shown some potential.
nice arm, very good mobility and pocket presence for the most part.
another team would pick him up way before he hit our practice squad roster.
Does he have to go through waivers or something before we can put him on? If thats the case then I would have second thoughts about Simms. I do feel like he has the potential to be a good QB but not for a couple of years.

cambovenzi
08-31-2008, 11:43 PM
Does he have to go through waivers or something before we can put him on? If thats the case then I would have second thoughts about Simms. I do feel like he has the potential to be a good QB but not for a couple of years.

yeah, he has to clear waivers, AND once(/if) hes on the practice squad, any team can claim him anytime i believe.

Soop
09-01-2008, 02:15 PM

Actually Caleb's shown he has some potential, that's why he's on the roster. If we had put him on waivers someone would've probably picked him up.

Q: What has Chris Simms shown in preseason?
A: Nothing

In four seasons Simms hasn't done squat. In 2004 he was a third string QB. Fast forward 2008 and he was 5th on the Bucs depth chart before they cut him. Enough said.

Pran Raznor
09-01-2008, 02:40 PM
I'd rather have Major Applewhite

dyceman
09-01-2008, 03:43 PM
I'd rather have Major Applewhite

Thank you!!! No to Simms, and bring back the Major (think he's coaching college ball somewhere; last I heard it was Rice U, but now it's somewhere else.

Muttman73
09-01-2008, 06:24 PM
Looks like Baltimore...