PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Mistake Of Last Season And Offseason

Lone Maverick
08-30-2008, 06:02 PM
Now we all know the Mavericks have been criticized for making (and in some cases not making) certain moves such as:

Trading for Jason Kidd

Firing Avery Johnson

Not trading Josh for Artest

Not trading Howard when his value was higher

Not getting rid of some of the veterans we have (IE Stack, Jones etc) in favor of getting younger

And so on and so forth

There are more so if the biggest and most important in your opinion isn't listed just tell us.

JKiddFan4Life
08-30-2008, 10:22 PM
Not trading for Artest was perhaps the biggest mistake thus far. Everyone knows that defense leads to easier offense and that defense wins basketball games. Ron Artest is an all-around contributor and could have done so much for any team. I have to disagree with Kidd even being on this list. The money was the only downside to the trade for him, and that's off the books after this season. With all of the offensive weapons on this team, Kidd shouldn't have to score a single point and his assists should be through the roof. We'll see if Carlisle can't come up with a better gameplan for this season.

Spurred1
08-30-2008, 10:24 PM
Carlisle needs to let Kidd run things; he didn't really get a chance to do so last year.

oren0652
08-31-2008, 12:24 AM
Listen Up Ron Artest fans
Ron Artest aint that great no mo'
his Defense is fine
But Josh is known for his Defense too

Ron Scored 20 pts a game with a team that begged him to have the ball and put it in the basket... he aint that different than josh at all
Josh is younger and Safer yes I said it safer
still I think trading for MArion would make sense since Marion
is a good defender but also knows how to run up tempo style offense

audiosway
08-31-2008, 02:59 PM
I agree that Howard has gotten better every year. If he can get involved with the game plan and progress the way he has every year he's been there it will be all good. I expect to see that happen. Also, the best thing to happen was getting Avery out the door. Carlisle will better use the pieces on the roster and will have them playing great. He let's Kidd run the offense and it's over to be honest with you. This team will be very tough next year. They have the pieces in place to make a run. I can't wait to see Green play. I'd also like to see some setups with Kidd at the 1, Howard at the 2 spot, Bass at the 3, Dirk on 4, and Diop on the 5. That could cause some major issues for other teams. Howard and Bass are good defenders and very athletic on offense. Then, rotate Gerald Green and Terry in there as well and the Mavs could be very dangerous. :)

#1Mavericksfan
08-31-2008, 03:57 PM
I agree Josh Howard is the key if the Mavs wonna win, Howard was the second best player on the Mavs before the Kidd trade then after the trade he just lost it but that's not a reason for the Mavs to trade the guy for some scrubs, there's not many SF in the NBA that could give you 19.9 Pts 7.0 Rebs 2.2 Ast a game...I agree with Cuban for not trading him.

Spurred1
08-31-2008, 05:09 PM
A lot depends on Howard being able to get back to a consistent form. If not, then the Mavs will need to make adjustments.

Lone Maverick
08-31-2008, 06:02 PM
I think Howard is the key tbh. We all know about Dirk and what he brings night in and out but Howard when he is on his game gives them a consistent number 2 option for when Dirk is doubled. This off season there were only two SF's (that were available) that I would've even considered trading Howard for. Josh Smith and maybe Artest. I like Howard's game and I hope like hell he bounces back and has an all star caliber year.

The only reason Kidd is on the list is because many in this forum didn't like the trade, I myself was 50/50 on it. Youth, speed for experience and leadership. =/

Just wanted to clear those two things up lol

audiosway
09-01-2008, 03:02 PM
I think it's easy to say watching Kidd play over the summer shows he can still play. He just didn't fit Avery's system. Then again, neither did Devin. I don't think anyone did honestly. It was too stagnant. Things should open up a little this year. Also, Carlisle is excellent at getting the most out of players. He generally devises the scheme around the players rather than the other way around. If you remember after the Brawl in Detroit he had lost 4 of 5 starters basically for the rest of the season because of injuries and suspensions and they still made the playoffs and made some noise with a bunch of bench players and rookies. So, I'm curious to see what a highly touted very experienced x and o guy can do with the pieces that are there.

JordansBulls
09-02-2008, 04:31 PM
Well, IMO the Mavs were already the 2nd highest payroll in the league and have been a team of contention for years. I strongly believe they need to make a move in order to be a serious contender again. Realistically the only player on the market that could be had for a realistic deal is Vince Carter and I believe Management should at least be in the process of talking to the Nets trying to acquire him.

7 yrs in a row of 51+ wins and a team one player away from being a favorite for the title. I think it is obvious what the Mavs should be willing to do right now.

Lone Maverick
09-02-2008, 05:57 PM
After what happened for the Celtics last season I'd be lying through my teeth if I said I wasn't at least intrigued by possibly what Carter could do along side Kidd, Howard, and Dirk.

I don't know how realistic it'd be though because the Nets despite dealing Kidd and RJ say they don't want to move Carter and want him to be a Net when they make their push for LeBron in 2010. Then again thats just what they say so who really knows.

HouRealCoach
09-06-2008, 11:03 AM
They need to get Carter or get Younger....They also need a paint dominator like Amare or someone cause Dirk is a little too soft....I lik that they fired Avery and got Carlisle....I also like the addition of Green....They need to trade Stackhouse, George and Terry for a backup PG, another wingman and/or a Center

Spurred1
09-06-2008, 02:49 PM
Amare couldn't dominate the paint until Shaq got there. Amare is also quite soft on defense, one of the main reasons the Suns got knocked out (again) by Spurs. As for the trade possibilities-well, who knows. Mavs have two centers already-they need Howard to return to form or find a consistent second scorer more than anything else.

oren0652
09-06-2008, 03:06 PM
Amare Stoudamire can play defense trust me
HE jut cant guard Tim Duncan
not too many forwards can guard him
funnily I think dirk does a fine job guarding Tim

Amare is a great all around player
probably top 3 centers in the league if not number 1

Spurred1
09-06-2008, 03:13 PM
Amare is not a center-he was one before Shaq came along. He is very lazy when it comes to defense though. Perhaps that will change with the new coach. Dwight Howard or Yao Ming would be among the top centers, but I would not put Amare up there.

Lone Maverick
09-06-2008, 09:54 PM
Not dominating the paint doesn't equate to soft, but its all a matter of opinion I suppose.

As for Amare he is a PF so he can't be a top center. You're absolutely right he can NOT guard Timmy but in his defense (no pun intended) few can. Amare is already a top PF but to be TOPS he'd have to develop more of an offensive arsenal (or discover the fountain of youth and convince Nash to never retire to hide this fact) and improve defensively.

oren0652
09-06-2008, 10:00 PM
Amare had 20 points a game 2.5 blocks and 10 rebounds while playing center
what other centers were able to achieve those numbers
few... when he played the center position he was a top center
He really was