PDA

View Full Version : What is your perception of Allen Iverson?

DreamShaker
08-30-2008, 11:26 AM
So one of my favorite guys to watch of All-Time is Allen Iverson...he is such a fearless warrior and a tough player....but I kinda have sensed a mixed reaction to AI....so what is your perception of Mr. Iverson??

Poll coming soon...sit tight.

Hellcrooner
08-30-2008, 11:43 AM
I think he is talented but he is not as great as people tought he was, and of course not even close to as great asa he thinks he is.

He should have understand that passing is a virtue in a PG and that he should have played PG from teh bengining.

He has the smarts to do so.

People tend to be impressed by the scoring thing.

But ask yourself a question

How many points would Tim Duncan or Pau gasol score if they took the same amount of shots Iverson takes?.

Ph1lly Diehard
08-30-2008, 11:47 AM
Allen is a different guy. You can't compare him to anyone in this league at all, past or present. He came into the league very young and from 96'-02' he really did stupid things off the court, such as getting arrested in the offseason, the "practice" speech, fights with Larry Brown, the list could go on and on.
However, on the court, the guy is a fearless warrior that will be willing to do anything and everything to win the game. Granted, he didn't pass earlier in his career, but who did he have to pass to? Being a 76ers fan, I know myself that he had by far the worst supporting cast EVER going into the finals that year in 01'. He almost single handedly took that team and won the series, with winning game 1 and stepping over Lue, or almost comming close and winning games 2/3/4/5.
He is definitally an alltime great, one of the best to ever step on the court. The guy is so durable too. How many times have we seen this guy take offensive fouls, fall to the ground, or just get pushed away? We couldn't even count, it happens on every play!
The guy is pure hustle, one of the best, and i'll leave it at that. I could go on and on, all I know is he's one of if not my favorite all time players.

innovator
08-30-2008, 11:49 AM
one of the best

as for this Q by hellcrooner
"How many points would Tim Duncan or Pau gasol score if they took the same amount of shots Iverson takes?."

my A:
around 22 points , AI shoots so many shots cuz HE CAN he can shoot even with the D in his face he could create any shot he wants but Td,gasol and others cant

he is definitely one of the bests, in his prime he is playing like hell and in 2001 he led his weak 76ers team to the finals

SeoulBeatz
08-30-2008, 11:50 AM
Alright, **** it, im going to settle this once and for all.

people who have never seen him play will say he's a criminal, a ball hog, a cancer, a thug, worthless.

people who HAVE seen him play for over a DECADE now (like me) will see him as the most exciting little guy to ever play the game, a warrior, the man, a leader, the essence of giving it ur all.

he's an mvp, an all nba player, and he led a team with a starting five of

Eric Snow
A.I
George Lynch
Tyrone Hill
Dikembe Mutumbo

to the NBA finals when no one believed in them. Of course he had to be "selfish" as some may say, who else was going to score on that team? MUTUMBO? please. That was an unbelievable feat he pulled off.

But of course, some people are going to come in here and say, "hes a thug, what has he ever done?"

but ill block those people out because they obviously dont know anything about NBA basketball. Its true. U have to see him play. He gives his all day in and day out during the games..... not practice lol.... but during the game, tell me any player who sacrifices his body like he does.

People say he cant shoot, well... try pulling off the stuff that he does while being 5'11" 165.

Didnt think so.

He has a career FG% of .426 thats only one percent less than T-Mac, and 2 percent less than Kobe Bryant (the greatest player in the league according to some)

The media has distorted his image and its a shame.

If he were so selfish, how can he have a career average of 6.2 apg?

If he didn't play defense, how could he average 2.2 spg for his career?

If he was lazy, how could he average 72.2 games per season? more than Tim Duncan, Steve Nash, Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce, Ray Allen.

If he didnt give his all, how could he have played more minutes per game than any NBA player in the past decade?

if he wasnt a leader, how could he average the 3rd most points per game in NBA HISTORY only behind Wilt Chamberlain and Jordan himself?

There will always be haters, but if youve actually seen this kid play, ull know that hes one of the greatest ever, and though his tattoes and mistakes he made when he was young may have tarnished his image, u still have to respect what he has been able to accomplish through all the adversity and hate that the media, and fans have thrown him throughout his career.

I'm Out

A.I forever

ShaunRiching9
08-30-2008, 11:50 AM
he is good but he gets into much trouble with th law

innovator
08-30-2008, 11:53 AM
^we are talking about iverson on the bball court not off the court

SeoulBeatz
08-30-2008, 11:56 AM
he is good but he gets into much trouble with th law

please read what i wrote above.

this is exactly what im talking about, people only know him for what the media portrays him as and its sad.

MiamiHeat
08-30-2008, 12:10 PM
A great player...but not one of the All-Time greats

cubulls
08-30-2008, 12:33 PM
He needs to win a ring before being considered as anything more than great.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
08-30-2008, 01:09 PM
I think he is a great player, he could be one of the top 50 greatest players.

_Sn1P3r_
08-30-2008, 01:11 PM

people who have never seen him play will say he's a criminal, a ball hog, a cancer, a thug, worthless.

people who HAVE seen him play for over a DECADE now (like me) will see him as the most exciting little guy to ever play the game, a warrior, the man, a leader, the essence of giving it ur all.

Eric Snow
A.I
George Lynch
Tyrone Hill
Dikembe Mutumbo

to the NBA finals when no one believed in them. Of course he had to be "selfish" as some may say, who else was going to score on that team? MUTUMBO? please. That was an unbelievable feat he pulled off.

But of course, some people are going to come in here and say, "hes a thug, what has he ever done?"

but ill block those people out because they obviously dont know anything about NBA basketball. Its true. U have to see him play. He gives his all day in and day out during the games..... not practice lol.... but during the game, tell me any player who sacrifices his body like he does.

People say he cant shoot, well... try pulling off the stuff that he does while being 5'11" 165.

Didnt think so.

He has a career FG% of .426 thats only one percent less than T-Mac, and 2 percent less than Kobe Bryant (the greatest player in the league according to some)

If he was lazy, how could he average 72.2 games per season? more than Tim Duncan, Steve Nash, Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce, Ray Allen.

If he didnt give his all, how could he have played more minutes per game than any NBA player in the past decade?

if he wasnt a leader, how could he average the 3rd most points per game in NBA HISTORY only behind Wilt Chamberlain and Jordan himself?

There will always be haters, but if youve actually seen this kid play, ull know that hes one of the greatest ever, and though his tattoes and mistakes he made when he was young may have tarnished his image, u still have to respect what he has been able to accomplish through all the adversity and hate that the media, and fans have thrown him throughout his career.

I'm Out

A.I forever

Great post and good points. AI is a really good player. I don't think anytime soon someone will come who is 5'11" and 165 and accomplish what AI did statistically and lead their teams to the Finals.

njnets
08-30-2008, 01:18 PM
i honestly think he is a ballhog at times. but he is SO good and a guy like him (6 foot, small guy) creating, going into the lane, and playing bigger than himself. what would other players careers like jordans had been like if he was 6 foot?or if AI was 6'5''? he is an alltime great if you ask me.

dre1990
08-30-2008, 01:20 PM

Eric Snow
A.I
George Lynch
Tyrone Hill
Dikembe Mutumbo

Didnt think so.

I'm Out

A.I forever

couldnt say it better, one of the all-time greats

rhino17
08-30-2008, 01:27 PM
a great player and one of the most underrated

Wake's Fastball
08-30-2008, 01:34 PM
One of the best ever at what he does, and perhaps my favorite guy ever to watch. The fact that he busts his *** night in and night out, whether he's hurt or not, only enhances his reputation.

bogdanrom
08-30-2008, 01:35 PM
One of the All Time Greats. What he did on the court was more simply amazing

ink
08-30-2008, 01:37 PM
For the sake of argument, let's say he's all the positive things that everyone says about him. I'm serious. He's a very good player and a very good individual who has overcome some personal bumps in the road. That said, no one, including AI, has figured out how he fits on a basketball TEAM. That's not saying he's a ballhog, that's saying that his game just doesn't fit a team sport very well. Again, that's emphatically not saying that he doesn't want to play a team game. It's just that he's a one-man weapon that is hard for a coach to integrate into the team. IMO that's the reason his teams haven't seen much success over his career. He's an anomaly. Heart as big as a house, talent like no one else, has to overcome a big size advantage, but ultimately not a player who makes his teammates better. He doesn't excel at the team game. His impact is on the score sheet, not on his own team.

Sixerlover
08-30-2008, 01:39 PM
Great player, almost impossible to build a team around him. Many GM's/Coaches were canned trying to do so.

Hellcrooner
08-30-2008, 01:51 PM
well i in FACT find disgusting the number of shots that Kobe and T-mac take.

I dont like Ball hogers.

Hellcrooner
08-30-2008, 01:51 PM
Add arenas to that list.

Wake's Fastball
08-30-2008, 02:15 PM
For the sake of argument, let's say he's all the positive things that everyone says about him. I'm serious. He's a very good player and a very good individual who has overcome some personal bumps in the road. That said, no one, including AI, has figured out how he fits on a basketball TEAM. That's not saying he's a ballhog, that's saying that his game just doesn't fit a team sport very well. Again, that's emphatically not saying that he doesn't want to play a team game. It's just that he's a one-man weapon that is hard for a coach to integrate into the team. IMO that's the reason his teams haven't seen much success over his career. He's an anomaly. Heart as big as a house, talent like no one else, has to overcome a big size advantage, but ultimately not a player who makes his teammates better. He doesn't excel at the team game. His impact is on the score sheet, not on his own team.

You could say similar things about guys like Moses Malone, Dom Wilkins or a number of the best scorers of all time. Hell, it's something we could well be saying about LeBron a few years from now. While I don't think he's a good team player, he's still a winner, and I don't think his shortcomings as a teammate takes away from his accomplishments on the basketball court.

KingOf215
08-30-2008, 02:40 PM
The greatest little man to ever play the game of basketball (offensively at least)... keep in mind this guy is under 6 feet tall, and still managed to win scoring title after scoring title as well as MVP. He took a team of nobodies to the NBA finals and was the only team to beat the best Shaq/Kobe team in the postseason. Give the man his due

ink
08-30-2008, 02:43 PM
You could say similar things about guys like Moses Malone, Dom Wilkins or a number of the best scorers of all time. Hell, it's something we could well be saying about LeBron a few years from now. While I don't think he's a good team player, he's still a winner, and I don't think his shortcomings as a teammate takes away from his accomplishments on the basketball court.

He is definitely a HOFer, no doubt. Just like Malone and Wilkins. I think Lebron is a different type of player. He works very well with his teammates. And I don't think AI is a winner. I think he's a scorer. One of the best ever. But I don't think scorers necessarily lead to championships, and that's the more important objective to me.

Hawkeye15
08-30-2008, 03:23 PM
great competitor, and pound for pound the toughest guy in the NBA for the last 12 years. A 165 lb man who attacks the rim shouldn't last in the league as long as he has.

Jay22Redd
08-30-2008, 03:24 PM
One of the greatest ever will injuried over half the time.

Sixerlover
08-30-2008, 03:33 PM
^ huh?

IversonIsKrazy
08-30-2008, 03:42 PM
a great w/o a doubt.

3rd in All-Time Career PPG. more than kobe, lebron, dr.j etc. only MJ and Wilt Chamberlain avg more.

5th in All-Time Steals. shows hes quick on ball and plays the passing game perfectley.

1st in All-Time SG APG. no other SG has ever averaged same or more apg than AI.

Hes ranked the 5th best SG of all-time. hell he shud b even higher. he philly 2 the finals in '01, with who? LARRY HUGHES as his side-kick. Even Lebron had more support than that w/ Big Z in 2007. He even gave sixers a game 1 win over lakers, dropping i think 41points.

Hes the best under 6'0footer player EVER IN NBA HISTORY, MARK MY WORDS!

RocketsRule
08-30-2008, 03:47 PM
Iverson is a truly unique player, you can't compare him to anyone.

He puts his heart and soul into every game, doing anything he can for his team to win. The way he sacrifices his body to get to the rim and finish is just amazing. He also led a poor team to the Finals, although they didn't have that much luck. Although he is mainly a scorer, he can pass the ball as well, averaging about 6 assists for his career.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
08-30-2008, 03:50 PM

Eric Snow
A.I
George Lynch
Tyrone Hill
Dikembe Mutumbo

Didnt think so.

I'm Out

A.I forever

GREAT POST!

AI, is one of tha greatest of all time. and still to this day is one of tha best in tha league. He's like whine.... Gotten better with age.

theuuord
08-30-2008, 03:59 PM
a surefire Hall of Famer...

dangrant75
09-01-2008, 01:28 PM
A very good player, plays the game hard every time. He should have been a 2 guard though, he was made to be the scorer that he is. The Sixers needed him to score who else was gonna do it???? Dikembe??? Now that he is in Denver though he should defer some.... and maybe play a little defense. One of the best though.

By the way Innovator, Al Jefferson didn't start for the Celtics in 05-06 he did start 7 games and only played in 59, the following year he broke out and West was only a second year player. I would take Kobe and Odom over any two players the Celtics had either of those years.

Tom81
09-01-2008, 01:34 PM
One of the greatest players to ever play the game.

Tha Truth
09-01-2008, 01:40 PM
Easily one of the greatest players to play the game.

Plays with so much heart and plays every game like it's his last.

One of my favourite players to watch.

JMan17
09-01-2008, 01:50 PM
a great player but not an all time great, here's a list of Guards i would of rather have then AI in thier prime...

Walt Frazier
Magic Johnson
Isiah Thomas
Steve Nash
Jason Kidd (in his prime, hell yea)
Nate Archibald
John Stockton
Earl Monroe
Lenny Wilkens
Bob Cousy
Oscar Robinson
Jerry West
Elgin Baylor
Kobe Bryant
MJ
I'll say that AI is a great player, also the fastest Guard i ever seen, but an all time great...not really....

Lakerfrk
09-01-2008, 01:59 PM
I put AI as a great player but not one of the greatest ever... that is not to discredit him, but it is a testament to the truly great guards we have had in this league.

I used to hate the way AI played... but in the past 4 years he has made a complete shift and now is one of my favorite players, an amazing talent, and increadible speed with the ball. He has great ball control, and can see the floor very very well.

Shieldsz
09-01-2008, 02:31 PM
No one tries harder than him when the clock is ticking. So much heart in one small body.

J-Relo
09-01-2008, 02:39 PM
|One of the Greatest|

Chronz
09-01-2008, 03:14 PM
If your of the type to think he miraculously led his weak Philly team to the Finals then hes overrated, what he accomplished that year was not very impressive and his MVP award was bogus.

But if you think hes a cancerous ball hog then hes underrated. Simple as that, a great great player but not a legend.

jetsfan28
09-01-2008, 03:16 PM
I have him somewhere in between options 1 and 2

superkegger
09-01-2008, 03:59 PM

You said exactly what I was thinking, only you said it better than I could. Couldn't agree more.

$ NyC $
09-01-2008, 04:15 PM
i think if A.I. only had 1 athletic Big by his side he would have done better...if he had one big man 2 run the floor and b a post presence he would have gotten a Ring...the man is use 2 depending on himself and now he's paired with Melo who jes throws so many bricks the great wall aint' got ***** on him...you can't say he's not one of the greatest of all time...amazing cross over dude is ruthless and lethal...his game is pure and he doesn't fear ANY1 in the league

lalakobe24
09-01-2008, 04:35 PM
his career fg average is 43

thats horrible and one season he took 28 shots per game to average 30 points

thats freakin 39 percent shooting!

3RDASYSTEM
09-01-2008, 04:35 PM
Easily One Of Greatest Ever,heres Why:
2 Time Big East Def Player Of Yr(big East/college All Time Great)
Dropped 82(62 In 2nd Half) Pts On J. Kidd Nba Led Summer League(i Know Only Summer League N Run N Gun No D Played, But Still 80 Is 80 Anywhere)
#1 Overall Pick In 96(bryant,allen,j.oneal,marbury,camby Could Have Been Taken)& 96 Rookie Of Yr/rookie All Star Game Mvp
3rd All Time Per Game Scoring Avg (behind Jordan/wilt)
Took A Very Avg Off Team Tho They Played Outstanding D, To Finals
Nba/2 Time All Star Game Mvp And 9 Time All Star
4 Time Scoring Champ(only Jordan/wilt Have More..ice Man Has 4)
Still Playin At Very High Level On The Other Side Of 30 -(i Think 33)
One Of The Best Athletes Ever In Any Sport - Youtube Him If Ya Differ
His Resume Is Well Documented, Now Karl Has To Somehow Relapse Back To His Sonic Days And Coach And Put Iverson At Pg So Smith Can Run 2, Cuz Iverson Is Far More Dangerous With A Sniper At His Hip Than A Oversized Pg Who Cant Shoot,check His Numbers When He Ran Pg In Philly Wit Korver In Lineup, And One More Thing "management" Failed To Put Pieces Around Him His First Few Yrs Passin Up On T.mac/pierce Or Nowitzki For Van Horn/l. Hughes.. Hes Never Played With Nash(mavs/suns) Or Kidd(nets) Type Talent Until 12yrs Into His Career And Nash Has Never Taken His Team To Finals And I Bet Everybody On Here Will Say Hes A All Time Great, So Go Figure. Only A Ring Is Missin On Resume, But The True Heads Who Play Ball Nba Or Not, Know Wats Up ... Post Jordan Era Iverson Has Done For More For The League Than Any Player Other Than Shaq, He Wasnt The First With Braids/tatts Or To Rep Hip Hop He Jus Commercialized It, Why Ya Think Stern Made Up New Dress Code..holla Back

BRADfromOZ
09-01-2008, 05:16 PM
He already is. Although LeBron is onlt 0.39ppg behind him.

Iverson was/is a great player but i never liked the idea of him putting up 28 shots per game (01-02) while averaging career low of .398. Give me 28 shots per game and i'm getting 26 points. If he could have taken smarter/less shot and still averaged his 31.4 i'd be amazd by his scoring ability.

Mind you since hes moved to Denver i'm loving how he plays. He's shooting smarter. Averaging 19 shots per game and 25.8 ppg. If he had of shot like that when he was throwing up 28 shot per night he'd have averaaged 38+ppg and that whould be amazing.

chi-town kid
09-01-2008, 07:21 PM
Hes a great talent, but hes too much of a ball hog for my preferences

cmellofan15
09-01-2008, 07:27 PM
Wow people said he wasn't one of the all time greats??? And vastly overrated???

pd7631
09-02-2008, 02:55 AM

Eric Snow
A.I
George Lynch
Tyrone Hill
Dikembe Mutumbo

Didnt think so.

I'm Out

A.I forever

This is the greatest post i've ever read. Sometimes I have a hard time finding the words to defend Allen Iverson against the haters, and you took the thoughts from my head and wrote it out. I just want to say thank you for this post. AI will forever be my favorite player, and I'd give almost anything to go back in time and relive his time in Philly.