PDA

View Full Version : Beckett to the DL

asomen
08-29-2008, 04:39 PM
BOSTON -- The Red Sox placed right-hander Josh Beckett on the 15-day disabled list on Friday.
Beckett, who has been dealing with right elbow inflammation, was scratched from his scheduled Friday start on Thursday and was scheduled to visit renowned orthopedist Dr. James Andrews in Birmingham, Ala. It was not immediately known what the results of the exam were.

The Red Sox recalled catcher David Ross from Triple-A Pawtucket to fill Beckett's roster spot. The club will carry three catchers for the time being.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080829&content_id=3385591&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb&partnerId=rss_mlb

Anyone see a reason why we are going to carry a third catcher...one that won't see the field at any point unless the game is out of hand? Why not call up a pitcher for the bullpen?

Cronin
08-29-2008, 05:11 PM
BOSTON -- The Red Sox placed right-hander Josh Beckett on the 15-day disabled list on Friday.
Beckett, who has been dealing with right elbow inflammation, was scratched from his scheduled Friday start on Thursday and was scheduled to visit renowned orthopedist Dr. James Andrews in Birmingham, Ala. It was not immediately known what the results of the exam were.

The Red Sox recalled catcher David Ross from Triple-A Pawtucket to fill Beckett's roster spot. The club will carry three catchers for the time being.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080829&content_id=3385591&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb&partnerId=rss_mlb

Anyone see a reason why we are going to carry a third catcher...one that won't see the field at any point unless the game is out of hand? Why not call up a pitcher for the bullpen?

Because rosters expand anyway on Monday, and maybe they want Ross to be eligible for the post season? I agree though, I'm surprised it wasn't a pitcher

Tragedy
08-29-2008, 06:18 PM
Like said, a little surprising they didn't call a pitcher up. So, there you have it: Our BP is basically set for the Playoffs (Unless someone is placed on the DL, then things can certainly changed).

I wish they would have made a bold move and called up Bard before the 1st, but I can't say I expected it.

RedSoxtober
08-29-2008, 06:21 PM
Well, since the rosters expand before the Sox will need to address Beckett's next turn in the rotation (after the one Pauley's filling) they probably wanted to take a look at position players they might consider for the playoff roster.

MVPOrtiz201
08-29-2008, 07:02 PM
The news on Josh Beckett is becoming a little clearer. Beckett visited with Dr. James Andrews today and tests on his right elbow all came back clean, according to Terry Francona. If all goes well, Francona said he expects Beckett to be back to start the first game of the Rangers series, which is next Friday in Texas.

Link (http://http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2008/08/more_on_beckett.html)

Great news, I hope he can make that start.

Osiagledknarf
08-30-2008, 02:08 AM
He's fine...they're being cautious, as they should be. The visit with Dr. Andrews went well apparently, and the DL stint is retroactive a week and a half already. It'll be okay.

DaaBoTownSox
08-30-2008, 02:09 AM
I wish the Injury bug would hit the Rays.

Osiagledknarf
08-30-2008, 02:13 AM
Haha...well, it kinda did...

Carl Crawford and Evan Longoria are both out, and those are big names. They're just friggin' amazing...their bullpen is disgusting, they produce runs and can hit for power as well, and whenever someone goes down they have someone really good to plug in his place.

I guess that's what happens after 13 or so straight years of frist or close to first overall draft picks.

DaaBoTownSox
08-30-2008, 02:14 AM
Haha...well, it kinda did...

Carl Crawford and Evan Longoria are both out, and those are big names. They're just friggin' amazing...their bullpen is disgusting, they produce runs and can hit for power as well, and whenever someone goes down they have someone really good to plug in his place.

I guess that's what happens after 13 or so straight years of frist or close to first overall draft picks.

Yeah, bound to find an impact player or 2 eventually.

Perhaps we can ask the Pirates what's up? They have a terrific farm system as well.

DaaBoTownSox
08-30-2008, 02:15 AM
You know what's sad though?

TB is 82-50 I believe, and they still don't draw more than 20,000.

I don't get it.

asomen
08-30-2008, 02:16 AM
You know what's sad though?

TB is 82-50 I believe, and they still don't draw more than 20,000.

I don't get it.

Bandwaggon jumpers...they show up to the games that matter. I was down there for the Sox Rays game in July....that wasn't even sold out.

DaaBoTownSox
08-30-2008, 02:18 AM
Yeah, perhaps.

I mean, I don't remember the Marlins having sellouts either a few years ago when they won the WS.

asomen
08-30-2008, 02:20 AM
Florida is just a bad place to have baseball teams....people down there don't seem too interested in baseball compared to other sports like football.

DaaBoTownSox
08-30-2008, 02:22 AM
Yeah, there's no doubt Florida is a Football state.

lil'papi
08-30-2008, 08:20 AM
Florida the average age is 70 yrs old. They are lucky if they can find the remote.

asomen
08-30-2008, 08:38 AM
^ let alone drive a car to the stadium lol

Tragedy
08-30-2008, 10:07 AM
I wish the Injury bug would hit the Rays.
:pity:

And it has, somewhat. Longoria, Crawford, and Percival, and one more person I can't think of. They've battled through.

Celts22
09-02-2008, 08:16 PM
BOSTON -- Red Sox ace Josh Beckett is set to rejoin Boston's rotation on Friday night in Texas.

Beckett, who hasn't pitched since Aug. 17 because of an inflamed right elbow, threw 58 pitches during a bullpen session before Tuesday's game against Baltimore.

"It was a lot easier to go out there this session with full intensity," Beckett said, standing in front of his locker in a sweat-soaked warmup jersey.

Beckett had been set to return last Friday, then was scratched and was examined by Dr. James Andrews, who said the right-hander's elbow ligament was in good shape.

"He threw all of his pitches with good intensity. Everything's fine," Boston manager Terry Francona said. "We'll cut him short on Friday, which makes it harder to win the game. But after not starting a game, there's no good way to let a guy go out and throw a bunch of pitches. We'll steadily get back to where the game determines when we take him out."

Francona said 70-75 pitches "might be a bit much" for Beckett in his first game back.

Beckett was 20-7 with a 3.27 ERA last season and went 4-0 in the postseason when the Red Sox won the World Series for the second time in four years. He is 11-9 with a 4.34 ERA this year.

In his last start before going on the disabled list, he allowed eight runs in 2 1/3 innings on Aug. 17 at Fenway Park in a 15-4 loss against Toronto.

ESPN.com (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3565928)

The Intimidator
09-02-2008, 09:08 PM
^^^Good news. :clap:

Brooke
09-02-2008, 09:11 PM
That is good news :)

Osiagledknarf
09-03-2008, 06:05 AM
He's making his start this weekend in Texas, they're just going to limit him to 5 innings or so many pitches. Not bad.

lil'papi
09-03-2008, 07:30 AM
Less than 70. 30 yrs ago he'd be going 9.

Osiagledknarf
09-03-2008, 07:40 AM
Haha...ahh, the age of pitching specialization.

lil'papi
09-06-2008, 08:31 AM
Beckett looked good! Lowell the same.....Rays feeling the heat.....

Blue Jays are my flavor of the week.