PDA

View Full Version : Why doesn't anyone ever mention the 1984 draft of taking Perkins over Barkley???

JordansBulls
08-29-2008, 03:31 PM
Why doesn't anyone ever mention the 1984 draft of taking Perkins over Barkley???

We already know and have debated the top 3 picks which always seems to be the focal point when talking about the '84 draft, but why isn't the #4 and #5 picks mentioned?

#4 was Sam Perkins to Dallas and #5 was Charles Barkley to Philadelphia.

:confused:

jetsfan28
08-29-2008, 03:33 PM
Sam Perkins was a decent, serviceable player, unlike Bowie. And Barkley wasn't MJ.

JordansBulls
08-29-2008, 03:37 PM
Sam Perkins was a decent, serviceable player, unlike Bowie. And Barkley wasn't MJ.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/draft/NBA_1984.html

Sam Bowie had better numbers than Sam Perkins for his career.

Also it isn't usually the Sam Bowie over MJ, but a lot of times it is was it the right choice to select Hakeem over MJ. At least with those two they came out to be guys in the top 10 all time and won multiple titles and finals mvp's. But Perkins never was a star and definitely not as good as Barkley.

superkegger
08-29-2008, 04:21 PM
http://www.basketball-reference.com/draft/NBA_1984.html

Sam Bowie had better numbers than Sam Perkins for his career.

Also it isn't usually the Sam Bowie over MJ, but a lot of times it is was it the right choice to select Hakeem over MJ. At least with those two they came out to be guys in the top 10 all time and won multiple titles and finals mvp's. But Perkins never was a star and definitely not as good as Barkley.

Bowie was like 12 and 7 while perkins was like 12 and 6 Perkins played like 17 years to bowies 10, and perkins didn't ahve the injury problems. Barely better numbers and perkins still had a much better overall career.

blacknell
08-29-2008, 04:34 PM
Barkley is a future hall of famer and perkins will not be

style-206
08-29-2008, 04:42 PM
Perkins played a different role, so of course he has different numbers compared to Bowie - and Big Smooth had a nice 3-ball too.

Overall there should be no debate between the two as both had long, great careers, with Onion Head getting a little more out of his.

Hellcrooner
08-29-2008, 05:15 PM
Sam perkins lasted much longer than Bowie and he made the whole way from Allstar form with Dallas to old bench worm in Pacers, thats why overall numbers are worse.

BUt perkins on his prime was MUCH better than Bowie.

And of course the gap between perkins and Charles is hughe but not even close to the gap between Jordan and Bowei

NBAkYD
08-29-2008, 05:21 PM
I think its silly to debate which bad pick was worst. That pick isnt discussed because its its overshadowed bu the MJ/Bowie screwup

DreamShaker
08-29-2008, 05:34 PM
Sam perkins lasted much longer than Bowie and he made the whole way from Allstar form with Dallas to old bench worm in Pacers, thats why overall numbers are worse.

BUt perkins on his prime was MUCH better than Bowie.

And of course the gap between perkins and Charles is hughe but not even close to the gap between Jordan and Bowei

I agree....and i'm loving the term "bench worm" crooner....and am being 100% serious....Perk had a successful career and was a winner....Barkley was of course much better and of course it looks like a bonehead move now....but Philly sucked with Barkley anyways and he didn't hit his prime until he got traded to the Suns....MJ won 6 titles with the Bulls and Bowie had a more than forgettable career with Portland....I think it would be more of an outrage if Barkley would have stayed with Philly and done what he did with the Suns in a Sixers jersey instead....

Chaudhry
08-29-2008, 08:01 PM
to justify perkins pick... barkley was extremly undersized for his position and overweight... sam perkins was a ncaa champion... sure he played with jordon and worthy... barkley played at auburn while perkins played and UNC... obviously in hindsight it was a bad pick... but picking bowie over jordon was bad even at the time... picking bowie in general was bad... if they needed a big man why not go with hakeem...

SAVAGE CLAW
08-29-2008, 09:15 PM
Well, they didnt pick Hakeem because Rockets had the First pick, and i hardly disagree with them Picking the Dream, even now, You know Big Guys deliver titles, Mj is the exception to the Rule.

As Ewing (:() Is the other exception.

Perkins was Awesome in Dallas and did a very nice job taking the Lakers to their last " Showtime" Finals against the Bulls.

He still gave some good looks to the Sonics.

He is just one of those forgotten guys that new generations dont know how apretiate because his name is not always on Slam magazine.

I would even dub him a Boozer of those times.

DreamShaker
08-29-2008, 09:23 PM
Well, they didnt pick Hakeem because Rockets had the First pick, and i hardly disagree with them Picking the Dream, even now, You know Big Guys deliver titles, Mj is the exception to the Rule.

Perkins was Awesome in Dallas and did a very nice job taking the Lakers to their last " Showtime" Finals against the Bulls.

He is just one of those forgotten guys that new generations dont know how apretiate because his name is not always on Slam magazine.

I'm guessing you mean in terms of talent?? Style wise I would compare him to Okur or Rashard Lewis....

Chaudhry
08-29-2008, 09:38 PM

LOL yea my bad...

comon aren't you putting too much into perkins there? perkins was a better outside shooter but his best statline was 16.5 pts and 8 rbs... boozer has 4 out of 6 years better then that already... he's one of those guys that you forget because he's just not that good... and i used to like perkins quite a bit

SAVAGE CLAW
08-29-2008, 09:56 PM
Talent wise of course.

Yes he scored less points, but on those times Pg used to share more the Balls and of course Boozer has always been the Second Option while Perkins always had at least two guys better than him on his teams making the shots.

SAVAGE CLAW
08-29-2008, 09:57 PM
I also thought on David West for the comparison, but Perkins was slightly better than West is.

dre1990
08-29-2008, 10:09 PM

:nod: