PDA

View Full Version : Tigers like what they see from Garcia

Dalionking
08-29-2008, 11:10 AM
Posted by Scott Warheit August 29, 2008 06:26AM
Categories: Top Sports
The Detroit Tigers' starting pitching rotation may have struggled at times this season, but reinforcements may soon be on the way. Freddy Garcia, whom the Tigers signed last month, is getting close to returning to the major leagues, and according to the Detroit Free Press, he's impressed the Tigers brass so far.

August 29, Detroit News: Pitching three innings Thursday in his second appearance since recovering from shoulder surgery (torn labrum), Garcia didn't give up a run for Toledo, the Tigers' Triple-A affiliate.
"I felt pretty good for my second outing in almost a year," Garcia said. "I could throw my off-speed pitches. I feel great. Hopefully, everything will keep going well.

"Not many good swings against for a guy who hasn't been out there for a while," Toledo manager Larry Parrish said. "I was very satisfied with the way he threw. For a guy 11 months off surgery, that was pretty good. He had good angle on his breaking ball.

redwings1
08-29-2008, 04:36 PM
not bad for not pitching for almost a year!!

Bondomania
08-29-2008, 07:22 PM
everyone needs to relax.. it is just triple A.. the guy had an ERA over five before he got injured, not to mention he is going up against guys who haven't seen him before.

smarkow
08-31-2008, 03:57 PM
no matter how well he looks the remainder of the year, the Tigers still need to pick up another very solid starter for next season.

Bondomania
08-31-2008, 04:37 PM
agreed, Garcia will not be the answer if the tigers are looking to rebound next year.. they will need to sign someone of the likes of a Burnett, Sheets or Sabathia

Dalionking
08-31-2008, 10:49 PM
he is on his way up now so we will get a chance to see how he does against the bigs again

Bondomania
09-01-2008, 03:46 AM
he won't be in the rotation initially.. i believe he is going to the pen to start.. Lambert is going to get the next start i believe

Dalionking
09-01-2008, 11:10 AM
yeah thats what i read.

he could be the 5th starter if he does well

TheRedMarauder
09-03-2008, 01:18 PM
ccording to the Detroit News, Freddy Garcia's fastball was clocked "in the mid-80s" during a 52-pitch simulated game Tuesday.

"Freddy was about exactly as I expected," manager Jim Leyland said. "If we're going out there expecting to see him throw 90, we're wasting our time. That's not going to happen. But he went 4-0 against us two years ago throwing 85. This guy knows what he's doing. The good thing is that I saw no restrictions with his arm." Garcia is slated to throw another simulated game Monday.

rotoworld