PDA

View Full Version : shawn marion is...

barreleffact
08-29-2008, 09:53 AM
the current scottie pippen. scottie could literally do anything on the floor, but was always told to play second fiddle. the yr jordan was gon he led the bulls in all 5 statistical categories and still he gets no respect. pretty much the same thing for marion. he boards, scored(w/o any plays run for him), plays elite defense, and can pass...he just never has the ball so his stats dont show it. but IMO marion and pippen are 2 of the most underrated players that no1 will ever really appreciate even tho their teams sucess' always depended on them. can you blae them for having all that talent yet wanting to b a main option...esp pippen

marques724
08-29-2008, 10:00 AM
Saying Marion is the current Pippen is disrepectful to Scottie Pippen.

midwestmadman
08-29-2008, 10:03 AM
Marion is nothing in comparison to Pippen.

barreleffact
08-29-2008, 10:03 AM
pippen was better by a lot. but you cant deny their similarities

eso
08-29-2008, 10:09 AM
the only player that has EVER had the same skills and skill set as Pip is Grant Hill when healthy in his prime nobody else as of yet!! period end thread...

kuppz
08-29-2008, 10:10 AM
buddy marion's not on scottie's level.

bogdanrom
08-29-2008, 11:05 AM
They have a lot of similarities but Marion is not on Pippen's level.

{}
08-29-2008, 11:10 AM
Marion couldn't handle the ball if his life depended on it. Put a 12pack of beer into Pippen and give him the ball and you've got Marion. Marion doesn't have the mental toughness or basketball IQ, or the ability to create his own offense. Marion simply finishes plays and closes out on 3pt shooters on defense.

pippsux
08-29-2008, 11:20 AM
I think that on the right team, Marion is very similar to Pippen. Both are great one on one defenders, multi functional and play good team ball. Hey, if pip did not end up with the Jordan and bulls, would he have had as great a career?

Cavs_Fan24
08-29-2008, 11:22 AM
i dont think Marion's anywhere close to what Pippen was. Pippen wasnt jsut a second-opion guy, but he was also somewhat of a leader on the floor, Marion is not like that at all. And Scottie Pippen could create a shot for himself unlike Marion who needs someone setting him up to get all his points.

MrBloop
08-29-2008, 11:30 AM
Shawn Marion is...kinda corny.

I hate watching him play.

MrBloop
08-29-2008, 11:33 AM
Marion couldn't handle the ball if his life depended on it. Put a 12pack of beer into Pippen and give him the ball and you've got Marion. Marion doesn't have the mental toughness or basketball IQ, or the ability to create his own offense. Marion simply finishes plays and closes out on 3pt shooters on defense.

Dude your Sig Quote is pathetic...keep being lead like the Texas sheep you are.:clap:

SeoulBeatz
08-29-2008, 11:35 AM
Pippen was better, but i think a lot of u are disrespecting Shawn Marion... i dont know why.

Hes averaged 19.7 ppg, 10.5 rpg, 2.9 apg, 1.7 spg, and 2.1 bpg for his career.

NOTICE THOSE DEFENISVE NUMBERS, thats REDICULOUS for a SF. Show some respect.

He's no pippen, but hes still had a damn good career

Bricklayer
08-29-2008, 11:40 AM
Comparing Pippen to Marion makes me wonder if you've even see Pippen play?

No disrespect to the Matrix, but he's not even in the same league as Scotty.

Litchris12
08-29-2008, 11:41 AM
the current scottie pippen. scottie could literally do anything on the floor, but was always told to play second fiddle. the yr jordan was gon he led the bulls in all 5 statistical categories and still he gets no respect. pretty much the same thing for marion. he boards, scored(w/o any plays run for him), plays elite defense, and can pass...he just never has the ball so his stats dont show it. but IMO marion and pippen are 2 of the most underrated players that no1 will ever really appreciate even tho their teams sucess' always depended on them. can you blae them for having all that talent yet wanting to b a main option...esp pippen

True, marion is very underrated and after this season he deserves an extension both were underrated but wiht out these guys u cant win any championships

Sixerlover
08-29-2008, 11:43 AM
^ My thoughts exactly BL. Maybe people just hear about how he was a great 2nd fiddle to MJ and assume every good defending 2nd fiddle is Pippen like. Stop it

JackSplack
08-29-2008, 12:02 PM
That year when Pippen led the Bulls in all these stat catagories while Jordan was out...Did it result in a championship? Did it result in getting to the finals?

Pippen's good, Pippen's really good, Pippen's really really good, but Pippen aint one of the 50 best players of all time. What did Jordan do when Pippen wasn't playing, He still won!

Marion is good too, but the little I saw of him in Miami last year, he didn't show it. I know the team was riddled with injuries and the motivation might not be there, but IMO that would have been the time for him to showcase just what he can do as a first option, particularly since he could have opted out during the summer. I just hope his good to great performances weren't the product of a system in Phoniex.

J-Relo
08-29-2008, 12:14 PM
MArion doesn't have the sweet touch like Pippen did...

but Marion is pretty good...

BowDown32
08-29-2008, 12:24 PM
Seems the consensus is he ain't no Scottie. I agree. Very similiar but Pippen did all that better and could create his own shot. I like the idea of puttin a 12pack in Scottie and seeing how he played... I might be able to get a couple buckets if we played one-on-one.

HiphopRelated
08-29-2008, 12:26 PM
Marion can't really create for himself consistently

JJ81
08-29-2008, 12:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asbDADzklyI

Jay_Dub
08-29-2008, 12:52 PM
Guys, Pippen played a little bit of point guard in Portland,and Houston if I remember correctly. Could you ever see in a million years Marion play point guard.

Maybe the physical comparisons are valid, but in terms of basketball sense or IQ it's not even comparable.

Jay_Dub
08-29-2008, 12:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asbDADzklyI

That's pretty much the difference right there. That **** is hilarious. LoL!!

{}
08-29-2008, 01:07 PM
Guys, Pippen played a little bit of point guard in Portland,and Houston if I remember correctly. Could you ever see in a million years Marion play point guard.

Maybe the physical comparisons are valid, but in terms of basketball sense or IQ it's not even comparable.

...even the comparisons are defense are a stretch. Pippen made the All Defense team 10 times. Marion has never made it.

LayZbone
08-29-2008, 01:16 PM
no, it's not an accurate comparison. Pippen was a much more complete player, a point forward. Marion's a better rebounder and shot blocker, thats about it. Different playing styles.

barreleffact
08-30-2008, 03:22 AM

ur implying wat many have before...that he is a product of nash? he is the dirty guy. he creates his own shots in the sense that he finds a way to bail out the team w a 3 or by put backs. However, he was putting up 20/10 numbers before nash got there. it just became his role to not be part of the offense.

That year when Pippen led the Bulls in all these stat catagories while Jordan was out...Did it result in a championship? Did it result in getting to the finals?

Pippen's good, Pippen's really good, Pippen's really really good, but Pippen aint one of the 50 best players of all time. What did Jordan do when Pippen wasn't playing, He still won!

Marion is good too, but the little I saw of him in Miami last year, he didn't show it. I know the team was riddled with injuries and the motivation might not be there, but IMO that would have been the time for him to showcase just what he can do as a first option, particularly since he could have opted out during the summer. I just hope his good to great performances weren't the product of a system in Phoniex.

The year pippen was w/o Jordan they lost 2 less games in the regular season and lost in the EC semis in 7 games to the knicks. But to counter you, what did Jordan EVER do w/o pippen in terms of rings and playoff success?? about the same thing. You are right, Marion shouldve took the chance to shine like he wanted to prove he could be a 1 option.

Comparing Pippen to Marion makes me wonder if you've even see Pippen play?

No disrespect to the Matrix, but he's not even in the same league as Scotty.

im not comparing them statistically. its obvious that pippen was a far better player. I was comparing them more character wise and respect wise. They both never got the respect they deserved. Many people argue that pippen shouldnt be in the top 50 all time because he played w Jordan, but for the most part, everyone in the top 50 played w another in the top 50. they helped each other. Basically my point is that people always say Jordan won those titles, similarly to how peopel say Shaq won for Kobe...I was just tired of that and decided to show some respect to the 2nd and 3rd options in marion, pip, and now kobe it seems. and show how he is overlooked like pip and that they are both similar personalities too. Pippen hated bein a second fiddle to Jordan. He wanted to be the main man and displayed that many times: the year w/o jordan vs the knicks he sat out for the game winnin shot because the play wasnt designed for him, how the GM always wanted to trade him esp after the first 3 peat, or ho after the second 3 peat he left and still had trouble with his new teams because he wanted to be the main man. If pippen was cool as a 2nd guy, they may have stayed for a few more years, but Jordan knew he wasnt doin anythin w/o pip. sry so long, but that was my point. not that they are in the same category in terms of skill nor greatness

Chronz
08-30-2008, 03:35 AM
There is a reason every team Marion has ever been on has decided hes at his best off the ball. His stats would be really crappy if he were forced to run an offense like Pippen.

G Stars
08-30-2008, 03:35 AM
jamario moon will be like scottie in the future

Chronz
08-30-2008, 03:36 AM
MArion doesn't have the sweet touch like Pippen did...

but Marion is pretty good...

Both had ugly form on their jumpers, very inconsistent shooters

barreleffact
08-30-2008, 03:42 AM
There is a reason every team Marion has ever been on has decided hes at his best off the ball. His stats would be really crappy if he were forced to run an offense like Pippen.

once again...im not comparing he and pip in the style sense nor ability sense. its more personality. they both thought they deserve more and are often overlooked/underrated...o and marion has only played on 2 teams in the league. phx and mia. we have no idea how he'll be in miami. last yrs 16 games dont count, they werent even a team. they were a bunch od d leaguers trying. and in pheonix, he didnt fit their system...his first few years, i think his role was pretty acceptable. i know they gave him the rock more. but later it was nash dirbble, nash dribble, amare pick, lob or nash try again. he would not be able to run th epoint tho. thats bordeline absurd

Chronz
08-30-2008, 03:54 AM
once again...im not comparing he and pip in the style sense nor ability sense. its more personality. they both thought they deserve more and are often overlooked/underrated...o and marion has only played on 2 teams in the league. phx and mia. we have no idea how he'll be in miami. last yrs 16 games dont count, they werent even a team. they were a bunch od d leaguers trying. and in pheonix, he didnt fit their system...his first few years, i think his role was pretty acceptable. i know they gave him the rock more. but later it was nash dirbble, nash dribble, amare pick, lob or nash try again. he would not be able to run th epoint tho. thats bordeline absurd

I shouldve said if Marion was asked to do something he hasnt been doing his entire career his play would suffer. True we didnt see enough of him in Miami to get a handle on how he fits in there but I saw alot of Marion's Heat games just because I was curious to see if they ran more plays for Marion. They did and he turned it over like crazy, hes just not a good ball handler at all and a pretty poor playmaker, he can make the right pass he just cant create it, even before Nash showed up in PHX someone else, be it Marbury or Joe Johnson (when neither Marbury nor Nash were there) handled the ball. Marion at his BEST when hes playing off of it and finding open spaces or cutting through defenders, there is nothing wrong with that. Your right hes very underrated but its not because he doesnt get the ball enough, its because people dont have much respect for Marions game type.

They feel its something anyone can do, its why Ive seen people label guys like David Lee simply as hustle players not recognizing just how efficient these guys are. Marion is a great piece to any team but I wouldnt want him to be my teams best player.

Pippen on the other hand was entirely different, truly an all-time great, but I think hes ranked appropriately. He had some years alongside MJ that were really spectacular, some on par with the year you mentioned. The Bulls didnt 3-repeat simply because of MJ. Horace Grant was a borderline All-Star player as well.

Hotone1401
08-30-2008, 04:50 AM

I would never say that Pippen got no respect. I don't know any analyst or fan that could deny his postition among All-Time greats. There was just an aura about him and that also goes for most of the Bulls players on that team. I guess thats what comes with having 6 freakin Championship rings!

Players like Horace Grant, Steve Kerr, Dennis Rodman, and Scottie Pippen command respect. I know I respect them. But as far as his comparisons to Shawn Marion, I can see where you are coming from. Besides, that lack of ball handling, Shawn Marion is a very similar player in that he posseses the same athleticism and can defend multiple positions.

bigmac8675
08-30-2008, 04:52 AM
Pippen>Marion
end of story!

rhino17
08-30-2008, 04:57 AM
shawn marion is one of the most overrated players in the nba

he is very average

amare#1
08-30-2008, 05:03 AM
I'm a Phoenix fan and absolutely loved Marion when we had him. He's so valuable and is extremely underrated. He does everything u need him to and is a great defender.

dre1990
08-30-2008, 05:08 PM
The matrix is a down graded Pippen.......a way down graded

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
08-30-2008, 05:19 PM
a good five tool player.

Raps18-19 Champ
08-30-2008, 08:28 PM
if you were gonna compare someone to Scottie Pippen atleast compare it to grant hill
hell even Diaw and Odom play more like scottie that marion

MiamiHeat
08-30-2008, 08:35 PM
Marion is a good player
that can give you 15 and 10 :up:

Lakersfan2483
08-30-2008, 08:47 PM
Marion is a fantastic player, but he's not on Scottie's level. When Scottie was in his prime, he along with MJ were the two best perimeter defenders I have ever seen. M. Cooper was also an excellent defender. Scottie was able to guard point guards, power forwards, small forwards, shooting guards, he was phenomenal.

dodie53
08-31-2008, 12:41 AM
they are both versatile.

but Pippen is way way better than Marion

cmellofan15
08-31-2008, 01:16 AM
Wow Pippen is one of the greatest PLAYERS of all time.
Marion is one of the best FORWARDS right now
I don't think people will compare them because its two way different time periods and they're different players

Kings Faithful
08-31-2008, 01:48 AM
Dude your Sig Quote is pathetic...keep being lead like the Texas sheep you are.:clap:

For a sig quote thats so "pathetic" you sure took offense...exactly what it was designed to do....i guess its not pathetic then ey?

cmellofan15
08-31-2008, 01:57 AM
For a sig quote thats so "pathetic" you sure took offense...exactly what it was designed to do....i guess its not pathetic then ey?

HAHAHA!!! I love it when people catch feelings about people's sigs it hilarious.!!

Shieldsz
08-31-2008, 02:17 AM
cute. :love:

But seriously.. don't like him as a player. I hate his shot, it makes me cringe

BRADfromOZ
08-31-2008, 04:36 PM
He's no pippen, but hes still had a damn good career
Yes he is.

ewing
09-02-2008, 09:00 AM
This message has been brought to you by Shawn Marion

king4day
09-02-2008, 03:20 PM
They're both funny lookin

m26555
09-02-2008, 03:56 PM
You're right. Two overrated players who get WAY too many props just because they had the fortune of being on good (or, in Pippen's case, OUTSTANDING) teams. Pippen would have simply been a good player without Jordan. The fact that he was named one of the 50 greatest players of all-time is an absolute joke.

Frank Costanza
09-02-2008, 04:42 PM
Shawn Marion is..... definally a modern version of scottie pippen
the man with the ugliest jump shot in the NBA
the second piece of an amazing big 3 in mia
a couple yrs late on the heat championship push

SwaggaIke
09-02-2008, 05:46 PM
It doesn't matter what Marion is as long as he remains consistent. By the All Star break Beasley will be our clear number 2 option. Most rookies hit their stride after the break and I expect nothing less from Beasley. Marion will continue to score w/o handling the ball as he has done his entire career. He only played 14 games for us last year and the majority of our team was already injured.

jayl1377
09-02-2008, 06:03 PM
....overrated

Beno7500
09-03-2008, 01:48 AM
Marion just wants attention.

LA_Raiders
09-03-2008, 01:55 AM
overpaid...

Beno7500
09-03-2008, 01:56 AM
Marion and Cassell are Aliens.